First trip to Red Rocks - Avett Brothers 6/29

wutang75

My gf and I are headed to Red Rocks this Friday night to see The Avett Brothers, neither of us have been. We somehow got 2nd row center tickets and I’m not sure I’ve been this excited for a concert.

We are staying Downtown and are looking to take a shuttle. Anyone have experience with any of the shuttle companies?

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am guessing from Bluto's post that Uber drops off at a different location than a shuttle.  We stayed in a hotel in Golden that offered shuttle services and they dropped us off right at the top.  I would still stick with his recommendation for comfortable shoes, though.  Lots of concrete steps.  Looks like the weather forecast for Morrison is perfect for Friday.  

tailgating in the parking lot and taking in the scene is half the fun of going to a show there. parking is free, show up early and have some fun in the lot. leave your car there and get an uber back to the hotel then pick up the car the next day. done that several times and never had a problem. 

Well, Wu, what did you think??

Far exceeded all expectations. I was trying to explain it to a friend and I could come up with was “more spiritual than any church I’ve been in.” The venue is beautiful and I love the Avett Brothers. Didn’t hurt that we were 2nd row center.31d5535a8f265064587051642f218340.jpg2c6a0f6b799cb2748d5d3a43ac4b3da5.jpg52a4012932e3c0a9dccba0c37bdf007f.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 10:18 AM, mdmost said:

Seeing the National there in early October. Can't wait. Sitting row 6, dead middle. 

Pack warm clothes. The first show I saw there was in early June a few years back. I packed for Denver weather and had shorts and short sleeved shirts. It got down into the 40’s at the concert and I was slightly cold while looking like an idiot.

I have a buddy that has gone for the 3 Avett Brothers shows at Red Rocks the last several years. He’s slightly obsessed.

I was at the Saturday night show. My first time there as well. Beautiful chilly evening and just a great concert.
e837e2a219db272ba68a7b3a060ceb80.jpg

I wish I would have gone Saturday night - they played more of our favorite songs including “I wish i was” which Is my gf’s absolute favorite.

I might consider doing all 3 nights next year. Does anyone know if there is a cool place to stay that’s closer so you don’t have to go back and forth to Denver?

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2018 at 10:18 AM, mdmost said:

Seeing the National there in early October. Can't wait. Sitting row 6, dead middle. 

My GF and I are going to this show too. It'll be our first time at Red Rocks. Flying in the morning of the show and coming back the next evening. Probably gonna stay in Denver and take an Uber or a shuttle to the show. 

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Also found this one that I might opt for since it's cheaper and picks up at Epic Brewing.

https://bustoshow.org/20181009-the-national-red-rocks-bus-schedule-denver-boulder-fort-collins

Yeah i was looking at Bus to Show too. They pick up at several places in town. We're gonna book our Airbnb today and try to get a place kinda close to one of the pickup locations. 

Went to Nine Inch Nails at Red Rocks last week.

One tip we learned from our Uber driver, who worked at Red Rocks in high school, is that you don't have to be dropped off at the South Parking Lot and walk a mile up hill to the venue.  Car shares can drop off at the upper Top Circle Lot which is a 50 yard walk to the merch tables and food vendors at the top of the venue.  However, you can only get picked up at the South Lot. If your driver doesn't know about this tell him to go straight on Alameda instead of turning left on Trading Post. Our driver just pointed up the hill and the guy directing traffic at the intersection moved out of the way and let us through.  When you leave, get your car while walking down the hill otherwise it'll be a 30-45 minute wait for your car to get there. 

Edited by CooterBrown

43 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Actually maybe just 10 or so

Just curious, how are you getting to the show?

After reading reviews, I'm still not totally sold on taking Bus to Show.

We're sitting a bit farther back than you guys on row 52. Didn't get our tickets right when they went on sale. It was a spur of the moment decision at 2 am. 

On 6/28/2018 at 9:10 AM, stc said:

tailgating in the parking lot and taking in the scene is half the fun of going to a show there. parking is free, show up early and have some fun in the lot. leave your car there and get an uber back to the hotel then pick up the car the next day. done that several times and never had a problem. 

i'll reiterate...this is the right move. 

14 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

Just curious, how are you getting to the show?

After reading reviews, I'm still not totally sold on taking Bus to Show.

We're sitting a bit farther back than you guys on row 52. Didn't get our tickets right when they went on sale. It was a spur of the moment decision at 2 am. 

I was planning on renting a car while in Denver and driving in and out myself. I typically don't get fucked up at shows, and I'd like to get there early just to soak in the whole scene

Nolonger, whether you drink or not I would still recommend not driving up there.  The tailgating scene is great, but there's not a great amount of available parking for everyone all together- remember this damn thing is carved into the side of a mountain.  I quit drinking several years ago and we still take shuttles up there- just so much less hassle that way.  You can still wander around and enjoy the festivities.  

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 11:41 AM, Foggy Notion said:

Yeah i was looking at Bus to Show too. They pick up at several places in town. We're gonna book our Airbnb today and try to get a place kinda close to one of the pickup locations. 

The GF (no pics) and I went and saw Turnpike Troubadors there back in June.

We stayed at the Table Mountain Inn in Golden:  https://www.tablemountaininn.com/

It's a nice little boutique hotel and Golden is a fun little town. It was like a 15-minute Uber to Red Rocks.

We pulled the whole....RTD light rail to the last stop and then called an uber from there.  It was waaaay cheaper than trying to uber from Downtown Denver.  

As mentioned above our uber dropped us off at the top, directly outside of the venue.  

The forecast has given me second thoughts about taking Bus to Show. Not sure if I want to get there early and sit through SVE in the cold. On the other hand, if we take Uber we might be waiting for a while after the show to catch an Uber back to town. 

Might just bite the bullet and book BTS to get the whole RR tailgating experience despite the cold. 

The forecast has given me second thoughts about taking Bus to Show. Not sure if I want to get there early and sit through SVE in the cold. On the other hand, if we take Uber we might be waiting for a while after the show to catch an Uber back to town. 
Might just bite the bullet and book BTS to get the whole RR tailgating experience despite the cold. 

Call for an uber before you leave the arena. It’s a solid 15 minute walk down to the uber pick up location. If the driver is there before you, text him letting him know you’ll tip well if he waits. Unless he was already there, you’ll probably get there right when he does.

Inaugural trip seemed destined not to be. Youngest was throwing up the night before. Flight was cancelled this morning while I was in the security line. Was put on a 2pm flight that kept getting bumped. Got lucky with standby. Currently on the Bus To Show Shuttle to Red Rocks. Thank the Maker. 

• Like 2

Yeah that was worth the cancelled and delayed flights. The weather just added to the show being special. It was nice to be around fans for once and not people who wanted to hang out so they could chat with The National playing in the background. Bus to Show was great.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have had the Isbell tickets for over a year. Prine rescheduled his cancelled show for the next night and I had no choice but to add a night to the trip.  It should be the trip of a lifetime.

We are planning to arrive at least an hour prior to doors opening.

<Bart Scott.gif>

• 2 years later...