Selling stuff on eBay

Bash Riprock

On 11/23/2019 at 11:31 AM, RDCanecutter said:

Is it something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19355506-2015-2019-Suburban-Tahoe-Yukon-OEM-Kicker-200w-Subwoofer-Kit-NEW/282482652004?epid=888546212&hash=item41c5473364:g:w7IAAOSw1WJZHJsU

That seems like a lot of money to deal with for a first sale. You aren't a total noob at 34 transactions, so probably won't attract the predators who look for people with little feedback, but if something turns into he said/she said, eBay will likely side with the more experienced party.

wasn't that the model people were breaking into that was discussed somewhere on Shaggy/Surly?  Makes more sense now, gd $600 for a new sub

• 4 weeks later...

I've been shopping for some camera gear and decided to give Ebay a shot. I found a flash that I wanted and had a price in mind. I just bought a very similar one online 2 weeks ago for $72 shipping included. That was from a pawnshop in Boulder, CO. This one I'm looking at the guy wants $135 plus $12 shipping. I offered $70. He countered with $129.99. Not much of a price drop but I'll play, I offered $75. His counter was $131. WTF? Is this some sort of game theory bidding shit? I declined and dropped out. 

Yeah, 129.99 dude mighta bought it for 70 himself. Doesn't sound like some kind of unique collectible.

That said, if you can find some widget with guns or titties or Texas or Harley or similar religious icon status, sometimes you can slap a Stoopid High price on it, ignore low offers, and wait for that impulsive person with a credit card.

Back to the flash, the whole raising the offer thing to 131 sounds like you were dealing with a nut.

Oh, Old Man Canecutter tip to anybody who gets offers on eBay-- check out what kind of feedback the person has left for others before you even answer them. That will show you a lot about them. You want to see a hundred "Thanks! Great seller! or similar. If you see lots of wrangling arguments or a constant sense that they were wronged, beware.

The guy I was dealing with had over 4K transactions and a high approval rate. I'm not a frequent Ebay flyer and some of the items for sale are at auction and some are just listings. This was just listed for sale or "make an offer". I'm guessing that the guy had a value on it in his head and will just leave it in his "warehouse" until he gets something much closer to what he's wanting. Let it gather dust.

14 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I think his raise to 131 was a little "fuck off" message to you. I've done that before on Mercari.

I agree. Why bother with the "make an offer" though if you're not seriously willing to entertain offers? Clearly he wasn't terribly motivated to engage in some dickering to make a sale. I'm sure there's some data out there that told him that the item had sold for as much as he was asking but that's not the norm. It's a manual flash. Either the damn thing flashes or it don't. He didn't want to do the flash dance.

8 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I agree. Why bother with the "make an offer" though if you're not seriously willing to entertain offers? 

It's not like your offer was an insult. It was more than half the asking price, if not in that 75% sweet zone.

I've had slackjaws offer me less than mailing price.

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

It's not like your offer was an insult. It was more than half the asking price, if not in that 75% sweet zone.

I've had slackjaws offer me less than mailing price.

I should probably drop back by and offer less and less every month or so for the rest of my life or until he stops listing it. Because unless there's some poor soul out there who just has to have it at any price to hang in their LumoPro museum, it's going to sit out there at that price until it rots.

People are weird. Kinda reminds me of some advice one of my uncles jokingly gave me about the stock market "The stock market is pretty much risk free. You don't ever actually lose money on stocks unless you sell them!". 

On 1/16/2020 at 7:42 PM, El Diablo said:

I've been shopping for some camera gear and decided to give Ebay a shot. I found a flash that I wanted and had a price in mind. I just bought a very similar one online 2 weeks ago for $72 shipping included. That was from a pawnshop in Boulder, CO. This one I'm looking at the guy wants $135 plus $12 shipping. I offered $70. He countered with $129.99. Not much of a price drop but I'll play, I offered $75. His counter was $131. WTF? Is this some sort of game theory bidding shit? I declined and dropped out. 

just remember you can also look at sold listings on ebay to see what the market is. 

6 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

If you had offered $100 he would have countered a legit price.  I put my lowest allowable price in and it auto declines shitty offers like yours so I don't even have to send you a fuck off message.  I also got tired of being woken up in the middle of the night by similar offers to yours.

That would make sense. His approach didn't. I had no issue with him declining my puny offer that was in line with what I'd paid recently. Paying his/your asking price would have been shitty on my part so I probably should have just avoided that dumbassery to begin with. As it turns out we both won I guess. He got more than I offered and I bought what I wanted at the price I was willing to pay. 

I've done the increase price before, but only after dropping my price to begin with.  Same price as you saw for example, $130, you offer $70, I'd drop to $115 maybe and expect the same in return but get another $70 bid well then fuck you now its $131.  The goal is to meet in the middle, everyone wins but then you get a fuckstick who doesn't understand negotiation and how it works irl.

6 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

I've done the increase price before, but only after dropping my price to begin with.  Same price as you saw for example, $130, you offer $70, I'd drop to $115 maybe and expect the same in return but get another $70 bid well then fuck you now its $131.  The goal is to meet in the middle, everyone wins but then you get a fuckstick who doesn't understand negotiation and how it works irl.

Well, that's kinda where I thought this guy and I were headed when after I made my initial offer he came down $5. I went up $5. The eventual end point of continuing that track would have been pretty close to what he eventually sold it for. Perplexing.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Half price on a private sale isn’t going to seem like a legit price to a private seller. You also can only make three bids so he knows you will probably only go up to 85.

Wasn't aware there was a bid limit when negotiating a price but I've not spent much time on Ebay. $85 probably would have been my limit regardless. Worth the small effort to see if the seller will come down. No loss.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 9:05 PM, mulletpelini said:

that's when you get to worry about what you're getting!

Yeah, I've been scared off from a purchase before. Listing was by someone without a lot of trading history. On the other hand I bought some more gear over the weekend and paid the asking price. If the condition is as described I got a like new item for roughly half price including the shipping charge.

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t have specific knowledge of any collectable but like to hustle to make extra money on the side. What is something easy to get into just to get some experience with this? I have bought and sold on eBay in the past but it was just stuff I wanted to get rid of, not something I was trying to flip. Any advice you have would be helpful. 

oh definitely.  could be someone who didn't do the research on what it could go for, or they stole it and just wanted to unload it before the cops find it.

To Larry's question, never assume something that you have no interest in wouldn't be valuable to someone else.  Use the Tim Tebow principle.  You only need one NFL team to fall in love with you to get drafted in the first round.

I was at an estate sale once, the guy was the type that kept everything.  He had in a plastic container the entire original amp, speakers, wiring harness etc. of a mid 80's vehicle.  I think the original price they were asking was $30, and it was basically a heap of wiring or so it appeared.  I saw two things that made me look twice, the word Bose on the speakers and the crate was marked Vette.  It was the last day of the sale and no one was going to buy this heap, so I told the guy I'd give him $5 for it.  Sold.  

A little research, part number lookup netted me about $350 sold as-is with no guarantees of anything, only that you get exactly what you see pictured.

• 2 weeks later...

Why 10 days?  Just use the list til it's cancelled.  You can let it roll or drop the price incrementally as time rolls on.  I'm not sure how long it was listed I would guess at least 6 months if not longer.  The key is to keep listing inventory until you're full up then sit and wait.  If you sell 50 items per month, you just need to list another 50 to replace them as they sell or you pull them.

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2020 at 11:02 AM, RDCanecutter said:

My eBay account is Sheltering In Place. Maybe somebody else is selling stuff, but I haven't had a nibble in a month. Can't say I blame anybody.

This was mine too.  Not an offer not a message, nothing.  Then about a week and a half ago it started back up.  50% of my sales are from poachers reselling my shit.  I know I'm getting good value, I just wonder how the fuck it can be worth it to make $5-10 per sale unless you're doing a ton of volume then it just seems like a waste of time for $50-100 a day but who knows.  If they're doing good volume then they are spending an incredible amount of time online and that seems like it would get old.

I've noticed my stores will shut down long before anything actually happens, so when they do start back up, I usually assume things have started rolling again too.  Doesn't happen often, 9/11, 2008 and now are the only times I can really remember.  There was an odd occurrence maybe 5 or 6 years ago, but nothing every really happened worth noting.  Makes me wonder if there is really a social awareness that we share amongst each other on a higher level about things that we are truly not aware of but our minds are.......preservation type shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Jupiter aligned with Mars because after 40 years in the desert, I got offers on two widgets in two days.

Wasn't able to agree on a price with the first dude, but even that interaction must have bumped me way up in search results, because second dude came swooping in with a good offer on something else.

Or maybe it's just that free gummint money kickin in. Most likely that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I messed up.  Somehow one of my listings got marked as "free shipping".

Only sold for like $5.  Shipping cost $8. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Haha yep. The first thing I ever sold on Mercari was a Daisy slingshot kit with ball bearings included. Shipping was twice as much as the sale price. 

Funny side note to that one. About 18 months later Mercari sent me a message threatening to ghost my account because I sold a "weapon". 

• 3 weeks later...