Time for a new my pet is awesome thread

MillerEP

My dog Callie is awesome.

Friday night I'm in the kitchen when I hear my fiancee shrieking from the living room.  I run in there, and Callie (13 yrs old, mutt with beagle/hound)is laying splayed out on the floor and she's shaking and her eyes are darting rapidly back and forth.  I thought she was dying, either a siezure or stroke or heart attack.  She didn't seem to be in any pain, just completely unable to control her legs.  Very scary stuff.

While I'm holding the dog tight in my lap, thinking "this is it, she's going to die in my arms right now," my fiance starts googling "old dog eye rapid movement stroke" and here's what comes up -

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/vestibular-disease-dogs

Friday night - callie can't walk, she can't eat, she stayed in our bed and basically shook all night.

Saturday - She can walk, but she's stumbling around like a drunk.  She goes outside, cat comes up to sniff/investigate, she falls over on the cat.

Today - She's got a pronounced ghetto lean, but she's eating, drinking, and resting much easier.  Her eyes are starting to not dart around, but she's walking with her head tilted like she's trying to figure out the whole horizon thing.

Seems to me this is like vertigo for dogs, it's obvious that she had no idea if up was down or down was up - her whole world was just spinning.

Anyone else have this happen?

17 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

My dog Callie is awesome.

Friday night I'm in the kitchen when I hear my fiancee shrieking from the living room.  I run in there, and Callie (13 yrs old, mutt with beagle/hound)is laying splayed out on the floor and she's shaking and her eyes are darting rapidly back and forth.  I thought she was dying, either a siezure or stroke or heart attack.  She didn't seem to be in any pain, just completely unable to control her legs.  Very scary stuff.

While I'm holding the dog tight in my lap, thinking "this is it, she's going to die in my arms right now," my fiance starts googling "old dog eye rapid movement stroke" and here's what comes up -

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/vestibular-disease-dogs

Friday night - callie can't walk, she can't eat, she stayed in our bed and basically shook all night.

Saturday - She can walk, but she's stumbling around like a drunk.  She goes outside, cat comes up to sniff/investigate, she falls over on the cat.

Today - She's got a pronounced ghetto lean, but she's eating, drinking, and resting much easier.  Her eyes are starting to not dart around, but she's walking with her head tilted like she's trying to figure out the whole horizon thing.

Seems to me this is like vertigo for dogs, it's obvious that she had no idea if up was down or down was up - her whole world was just spinning.

Anyone else have this happen?

I have a 9 year-old husky-lab mix who has always been pretty healthy and we had a sort of similar experience with him. He has had 2 or 3 incidents over the last year where he is laying on the ground and his legs start spasming. He never loses consciousness or control of his bowels/bladder, just has a scared and confused look in his eyes. This lasts for about 20-30 seconds maybe. He's then unable to walk for a 5-10 minutes afterwards, and then when he is able to get up, he's somewhat unsteady or weak for another 30 minutes or so. After that, he seems perfectly fine. Twice we had him in the car to take him to the vet, when he suddenly seemed perfectly normal so we didn't end up taking him. During his routine vet visit we mentioned it. The vet didn't think it was seizures. She recommended possible imaging, but we didn't want to be too aggressive with any treatment, so we just got him some pain pills in case he had another episode. I don't think he's had any issues in 4-6 months or so, so I'm hopeful it's not some intracranial mass or something. Scary as hell though