The Kerwin Roach thread

Goo Punch

It's impossible to wrap your head around how a guy like this- senior player, doesn't seem to have your typical "character issues", spends all summer posting about his workouts and his intentions of proving to everyone that he's an NBA caliber player- then goes out and gets suspended every few weeks like he's trying to or something. It just makes no sense. What the hell is he doing? 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

It's impossible to wrap your head around how a guy like this- senior player, doesn't seem to have your typical "character issues", spends all summer posting about his workouts and his intentions of proving to everyone that he's an NBA caliber player- then goes out and gets suspended every few weeks like he's trying to or something. It just makes no sense. What the hell is he doing? 

He’s about as smart as a box of rocks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I'm pretty sure it's school policy.

Pretty sure it is. See Holton Hill. There was a long discussion about this on the football board. My understanding is Hill failed several drug tests and the final suspension was school policy that Herman really had no say over. 

Let's hope if it's weed that Roach isn't reaching the number of failed drug tests that Hill had. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Pretty sure it is. See Holton Hill. There was a long discussion about this on the football board. My understanding is Hill failed several drug tests and the final suspension was school policy that Herman really had no say over. 

Let's hope if it's weed that Roach isn't reaching the number of failed drug tests that Hill had. 

That is the rule. It's why a certain former player "medically retired" several years ago. 

58 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Also if anyone remembers back during their sophomore years both Tevin Mack and Roach were suspended at the same time.  Most us here assumed it was due to fighting or something of that nature,  but given Mack's eventual ouster from the team it could've been weed.  

It wasn't fighting.

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

unacceptable that this keeps happening under shaka's guidance.  he should be fired immediately.

Look, I'm not defending Shaka, but if Snoop wants to keep toking up in violation of school policy, what exactly can he do? Was he supposed to kick him off the team last year and lose even more games?

11 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

huh? this seems to confirm that he's broken a rule, just that we don't know if/how long he's out for. the cryptic nature of Shaka's program continues to confound me. 

Shaka knows UT is on the brink and he needs reasons to keep his job just in case he doesn't make the tourney.  So he gets hard on players and says "if this guy wasn't such a bum we'd be in."  The team/season/program is burning down around him and he is passive aggressively holding the match hoping no one thinks it is him that lit the fire.

• Fuck You 10

6 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Shaka knows UT is on the brink and he needs reasons to keep his job just in case he doesn't make the tourney.  So he gets hard on players and says "if this guy wasn't such a bum we'd be in."  The team/season/program is burning down around him and he is passive aggressively holding the match hoping no one thinks it is him that lit the fire.

What on earth are you talking about? If it's drugs-related, Snoop's punishment is determined by the school.

Can you just fuck off from any thread relating to Texas?

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Look, I'm not defending Shaka, but if Snoop wants to keep toking up in violation of school policy, what exactly can he do? Was he supposed to kick him off the team last year and lose even more games?

Either Texas bends the rules for athletes (cue outrage for Shaka "desperately" asking the school to ignore policy to avoid being fired) or Snoop is suspended indefinitely for it (cue outrage for Shaka not being to get his players in line) - either way, this is Shaka's fault apparently.

I have to go back and look, but were people 100% blaming Herman for "out of control players" when Holton Hill was suspended indefinitely for most likely the same issue? 

Roach is a D1 athlete with a 7th grade brain.  Dude is dumb and immature.  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What on earth are you talking about? If it's drugs-related, Snoop's punishment is determined by the school.

Can you just fuck off from any thread relating to Texas?

I'm sure there are plenty of kids who have smoked some dope and not gotten suspended while at UT.

• Fuck You 11

15 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I'm sure there are plenty of kids who have smoked some dope and not gotten suspended while at UT.

By the way, we suspended our best cornerback, Holton Hill (who was playing at an All-Conference, if not All-America, level), for a full third of the 2017 season. So no, this isn't just a Shaka thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

It is absolutely insane that using cannabis gets anyone suspended from anything in the year 2019.

Don't bring that "but it's illegal!" nonsense. Give me a break. It won't be in 20 years.

It's like kicking someone off the team for being gay in 1980 (yeah that was illegal then too).

This is a dumb take. Being gay can’t ever affect performance the was alcohol or weed can. He was smoking too much and being dumb about it to get caught multiple times. Smoke in the offseason 

On 6/28/2018 at 7:52 PM, Goo Punch said:

He'll be wanting to have a big year as a team leader, shooter, ball handler, and defender as he looks toward a shot at the NBA.

So presumptious Derka. Maybe he just wanted to get high.

10 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

It is absolutely insane that using cannabis gets anyone suspended from anything in the year 2019.

Don't bring that "but it's illegal!" nonsense. Give me a break. It won't be in 20 years.

It's like kicking someone off the team for being gay in 1980 (yeah that was illegal then too).

You're right. I'm glad they finally legalized being gay.

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

This is a dumb take. Being gay can’t ever affect performance the was alcohol or weed can. He was smoking too much and being dumb about it to get caught multiple times. Smoke in the offseason 

Do we kick people off of teams for eating bad food, not getting enough sleep, drinking too much alcohol, or other things that can negatively affect performance?

The dumb rule he broke exists because of a set of dumb laws that will not exist in 20 years.

3 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Do we kick people off of teams for eating bad food, not getting enough sleep, drinking too much alcohol, or other things that can negatively affect performance?

The dumb rule he broke exists because of a set of dumb laws that will not exist in 20 years.

It's still a rule that Roach needs to follow, and it's not one that challenges his inalienable rights in the way that a rule against sexual orientation would.

Just now, MotownHorn said:

Must have put your mind at ease when that law finally changed after Lawrence v. Texas  ;) 

This whole line of thought for you has been really stupid, so I’m not surprised you can’t grasp the distinction between being gay and the rule that was laid down in Lawrence v. Texas.

yes, it’s dumb they get in trouble for smoking weed, but Roach knew the rules and he deliberately chose to act selfishly and violate them anyways. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Oh so you could be gay you just couldn't have sex?

Cool then it was totally legal. Solid argument.

Yes that’s exactly what it means, you cnidarian! Regardless of you not being able to grasp the distinction, it’s a horrible fucking comparison!  Being able to have sex and choosing to smoke weed are not the fucking same. Roach’s isn’t some martyr because he chooses to light it up all the time. 

You cannot honestly be too dumb to see the difference between someone who is oppressed because of their sexuality and a guy who just wants to get high even if it screws over the entire program.

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Way to bring the dumb there, buddy.  Love the illogical comparison.