The Kerwin Roach thread

Goo Punch

4 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

It is absolutely insane that using cannabis gets anyone suspended from anything in the year 2019.

Don't bring that "but it's illegal!" nonsense. Give me a break. It won't be in 20 years.

It's like kicking someone off the team for being gay in 1980 (yeah that was illegal then too).

You got the dumbs 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

Look, I'm not defending Shaka, but if Snoop wants to keep toking up in violation of school policy, what exactly can he do? Was he supposed to kick him off the team last year and lose even more games?

for me it isn't this one instance so much as it is that players lacking discipline seems to be a theme under Shaka, and for there to be so many cases in such a short amount of time makes it seem (to me anyway) like it's only a harbinger of things to come. EDJ, Mack, Roach, and who knows what all else has gone on with how cryptic/secretive Shaka is about his program. Lacking discipline/being unable to follow basic rules seems to be a recurring issue for guys who play for him

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Nah. You clowns are defending suspending someone for using cannabis in 2019. It’s not me who’s got the dumbs.

Pretty sure they’re just saying it’s against the rules/illegal RIGHT NOW to do so. Seems like you can’t get by that for some reason. I haven’t seen anybody say they’re against smoking pot. You seem to be taking this personally

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

You clowns are probably also cool with the NFL banning people for using cannabis while letting drunk drivers, domestic abusers (as long as there’s not a video), etc. play 

no, i think we all agree that weed should be legalized and that it's much better for you than the opiates, narcotics, and benzos that the nfl has been using to treat their players, we just also all think that you've got to be one special kind of water head retard to be a senior starter with nba aspirations who can't stop smoking weed for a few months in order to stay eligible. Roach has all of the dumbs.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Nah. You clowns are defending suspending someone for using cannabis in 2019. It’s not me who’s got the dumbs.

It doesn't matter if you agree with the rule or not.  he's an idiot for violating it.

I don’t mean to come off like I’m defending Roach, but maybe the dude needs help. I don’t give a fuck what anyone says, you can most definitely become addicted to weed, even if it’s just a psychological addiction. I don’t always think it’s as simple as “dudes an idiot, he knew he would get drug tested. He just doesn’t care.” 

Again, I’m not saying we know for sure that’s the case, but do we know for sure that it isn’t? The argument that it’s a dumb rule holds true, but you could say that about any employer that drug tests. It’s their rule and it has to be followed. But I have a hard time believing some of these people that continue to fail drug tests (ie Randy Gregory) are all just stupid. They’re addicted to weed. Hell, I’ve been addicted to weed at one point in my life. You can’t eat without it. You can’t sleep without it. It was hard to be in social settings without it, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t mean to come off like I’m defending Roach, but maybe the dude needs help. I don’t give a fuck what anyone says, you can most definitely become addicted to weed, even if it’s just a psychological addiction. I don’t always think it’s as simple as “dudes an idiot, he knew he would get drug tested. He just doesn’t care.” 

Again, I’m not saying we know for sure that’s the case, but do we know for sure that it isn’t? The argument that it’s a dumb rule holds true, but you could say that about any employer that drug tests. It’s their rule and it has to be followed. But I have a hard time believing some of these people that continue to fail drug tests (ie Randy Gregory) are all just stupid. They’re addicted to weed. Hell, I’ve been addicted to weed at one point in my life. You can’t eat without it. You can’t sleep without it. It was hard to be in social settings without it, etc. 

UT Athletics has in-house counseling for this stuff, including mental health and substance abuse/addiction.  

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

UT Athletics has in-house counseling for this stuff, including mental health and substance abuse/addiction.  

Trust me, I get that. But when you’re in the middle of it, it’s hard to wrap your mind around the fact that you’re addicted to something like weed, especially when you’ve been told your whole life that you can’t get addicted to weed. And there’s a certain level of pride that (no racist) seems to be more prevalent in the black community in regards to seeking help in this regard (especially when it comes to mental health, substance abuse, and/or depression). He might not be doing everything he needs to be doing in regards to getting the help he needs, and that’s on him. I’m just saying I don’t think it’s as simple as he doesn’t care, and he’d rather smoke weed than play basketball. 

I smoked, in some capacity, pretty much every day from the age of 15 to 25. I was applying for a job a few years after college that required a drug test, so I told myself that I need to quit now if I’m going to pass this test. I’m sure a lot of you here have taken adderall. When I tried to quit, I felt like I had all the negative side effects of taking adderall without my brain feeling like it was on steroids. Eventually I gave up on the idea and I just had to...find a way to pass the test while still smoking on a regular basis. It wasn’t until that point that I couldn’t just stop whenever I wanted to like most people. 

I’ll smoke now if I’m with friends and they have it, but I don’t buy it anymore because I know myself too well. But I’m also 28. What is he, 21? Not saying you should feel sorry for him. But if he’s had the same type of experience dealing with depression, smoking for most of his life as a coping mechanism (which is a terrible idea obviously), and then trying to quit, I understand where he’s coming from.

Or I guess he could just be an idiot. But we don’t know. 

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

CDC tanking the season so he can fire Shaka ASAP.  

I hope.

Not that CDC doesn't have the authority and that this defense would hold any water, but if that were the case, Shaka could just say "well yeah, Snoop gone, of course we flamed out".

Edited by jimmyjazz

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

Brian Davis said on the radio today, that it was Shaka's decision to have Snoop travel with the team.  Sounds like Shaka was concerned to leave Snoop behind in Austin.

BD also mentioned if for example Snoop violated a 2nd drug test for let's say marijuana, the past university policy is to miss at least 10% of scheduled contests..... So best guess is Snoop might return in time for the final home game against TCU.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 2/23/2019 at 12:03 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

Trust me, I get that. But when you’re in the middle of it, it’s hard to wrap your mind around the fact that you’re addicted to something like weed, especially when you’ve been told your whole life that you can’t get addicted to weed. And there’s a certain level of pride that (no racist) seems to be more prevalent in the black community in regards to seeking help in this regard (especially when it comes to mental health, substance abuse, and/or depression). He might not be doing everything he needs to be doing in regards to getting the help he needs, and that’s on him. I’m just saying I don’t think it’s as simple as he doesn’t care, and he’d rather smoke weed than play basketball. 

I smoked, in some capacity, pretty much every day from the age of 15 to 25. I was applying for a job a few years after college that required a drug test, so I told myself that I need to quit now if I’m going to pass this test. I’m sure a lot of you here have taken adderall. When I tried to quit, I felt like I had all the negative side effects of taking adderall without my brain feeling like it was on steroids. Eventually I gave up on the idea and I just had to...find a way to pass the test while still smoking on a regular basis. It wasn’t until that point that I couldn’t just stop whenever I wanted to like most people. 

I’ll smoke now if I’m with friends and they have it, but I don’t buy it anymore because I know myself too well. But I’m also 28. What is he, 21? Not saying you should feel sorry for him. But if he’s had the same type of experience dealing with depression, smoking for most of his life as a coping mechanism (which is a terrible idea obviously), and then trying to quit, I understand where he’s coming from.

Or I guess he could just be an idiot. But we don’t know. 

I've been right there too, needed to give a new employer a clean sample and couldn't/wouldn't quit. I managed with some help from someone else which in hindsight was a shitty thing to do. A really good example of someone who can't seem to get it together when everything you could ever want financially is on the line is Josh Gordon. 

28u4eig.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...