The Kerwin Roach thread

Goo Punch

About time this one makes it over. Big year coming up for Roach, who appears to have bulked up significantly. He'll be wanting to have a big year as a team leader, shooter, ball handler, and defender as he looks toward a shot at the NBA. From what I've seen Matt Coleman had become sort of a poor man's DJ Augustin shooting the ball as last year wore on,  so while I expect him to handle the ball and take plenty of big shots, I still want to see Roach up above 38% from deep on the year. If he can take good shots I can see him as high as 42% from deep next year. Hoping for a big final year from him.

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Had no idea Roach was hurt. Must've missed a memo.

If the reports of him working on his shot--compulsively, obsessively, pathologically--are true, Kerwin will be a very, very, very rich man by next summer.

He'd also be league defensive POY ... if Konate hadn't come back.

Tore his meniscus on August 2.

you could see last year that he'd worked on his form and mechanics. he had games where his shot looked like that of a slower AJ Abrams- it was so mechanical and precise that you could tell that he was swishing his shots as soon as they left his hand. his draft stock moves up for every point above 38% that he shoots from three. imo if he simply takes smart, in-rhythm shots he will hit 40% this year. 

Edited by Goo Punch

On 9/24/2018 at 3:01 PM, Goo Punch said:

you could see last year that he'd worked on his form and mechanics. he had games where his shot looked like that of a slower AJ Abrams- it was so mechanical and precise that you could tell that he was swishing his shots as soon as they left his hand. his draft stock moves up for every point above 38% that he shoots from three. imo if he simply takes smart, in-rhythm shots he will hit 40% this year. 

40% from 3 would be fucking awesome

On 6/28/2018 at 8:48 PM, Goo Punch said:

his elbow angle on his right arm seems off.  needs to be more inside or perpendicular at least.  the way it is he is going to have a bit of sideways movement that he will have to adjust for instead of just worrying about arch and distance.

growing up i was taught to actually exaggerate the elbow being a bit inside, beyond perpendicular to the inside, to help develop away from the elbow out tendency many have that throws your shot off.

btw, that principle works for your jumpshot as well with your elbow being the pointer where you want the ball to go.  bird was fantastic with his elbow allowing his body/shoulders to be almost pointed anywhere on the court with his elbow and follow through rangefinder being the key to his excellent shot.  wtf do I know though, old as dirt. 

pause this video and watch as bird's elbow works to perpendicular as he begins the movement towards the goal.  it is a bit outside at the beginning but clears to perfect perpendicular at the end of the .09 second mark.

missed this part as I was focused on the upper part.  his right toe should be on that crosshair as that is the absolute center of the basket as well.  toe, elbow, index finger pointing to the center of the goal at follow through.  66 degree arch is what coach knight recommended.

Edited by zork

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about it, and in my lifetime only KD vs TTU comes to mind as a more dominating performance by a Texas player than what Roach gave us tonight. PJ Tucker had a couple amazing performances, obviously TJ put the team on his back a couple times, and then KD vs KU, KD vs A&M, KD vs OSU and more J'Covan in the second half vs Arizona was pretty sick but honestly even that doesn't come close to what Roach did tonight. Roach was everything tonight. Amazing all-around performance. An true all-timer.

• Like 2

So far so good for Roach for his draft status moving up I think.  He has already shown some better flashes early this season with a dominating performance against a very good team, and while it's still early, his assist to turnover ratio is much better so far, his FT shooting is over 70% versus 60s and his usage has gone up from last year while his turnover percentage has gone down in half from last year despite the heavier usage, which is a very big change.  His three NBA "concern" areas are probably his shooting, skepticism about having true PG skills, and his wingspan if he has to defend longer guards/wings although I think many would consider him a potential plus defender if he develops well.  If he can crack 40% from 3, maybe 75% from the charity stripe, and maintain a better turnover efficiency all year, his draft stock will absolutely go up.

with his shooting mechanics i believe that 40% from deep this year is totally realistic. If he continues to take good shots then i think it's damn near a formality. he looks like a different player so far this year. last year you could really see the things he was working on; this year you can see that work paying dividends early on.

2 hours ago, UTDD said:

So far so good for Roach for his draft status moving up I think.  He has already shown some better flashes early this season with a dominating performance against a very good team, and while it's still early, his assist to turnover ratio is much better so far, his FT shooting is over 70% versus 60s and his usage has gone up from last year while his turnover percentage has gone down in half from last year despite the heavier usage, which is a very big change.  His three NBA "concern" areas are probably his shooting, skepticism about having true PG skills, and his wingspan if he has to defend longer guards/wings although I think many would consider him a potential plus defender if he develops well.  If he can crack 40% from 3, maybe 75% from the charity stripe, and maintain a better turnover efficiency all year, his draft stock will absolutely go up.

Do we have any measurements on his wingspan?  He doesn't look to have short arms from my perspective, but who knows. He needs to aspire to be either a poor man's Avery Bradley or a poor man's Patrick Beverly depending on whether he can up his IQ and savvy and develop true and consistent point guard instincts.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Do we have any measurements on his wingspan?  He doesn't look to have short arms from my perspective, but who knows. He needs to aspire to be either a poor man's Avery Bradley or a poor man's Patrick Beverly depending on whether he can up his IQ and savvy and develop true and consistent point guard instincts.  

It's hard to get official measurements for 100% accuracy before an NBA team looks at it sometimes, but I've seen reported wingspans of roughly 6 foot 4 to 6 foot 5 or so.  When I look at him, he seems to have a wingspan slightly longer than his height but not much more. (but if he plays PG, he isn't small)  But, it's a far cry from the alien Bamba with wingspan to height ratio.  Having said that, I don't think his defense long-term (I think he will guard more 1s than say 3s of course) is a huge concern if effort and development is there.  His offense is what will either keep him in the league or playing in another league overseas.  

I personally think he can hit 40% from 3 if he maintains good shot selection reasonably well.  I'm sometimes not excited about an NBA prospect not leaving when they can leave but in his case he might benefit greatly from the extra year based on the development already seen from last year.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What on earth has happened with this guy? He looked like an NBA draft pick against UNC, then all of that disappeared.

I would expect a high school JV benchwarmer to do what he just did against Oklahoma State on that last possession, not a senior starter for a high-major college basketball team.

Maybe that UNC game went completely to his head and instead of playing without thinking too much he was trying to duplicate a performance.   A few bad performances then snowballed into a complete loss of confidence.  His handle was never great but this year it seems terrible. And this year his shot has a hitch in it that I don’t remember.  Overall he does not play fast and looks like he sort of forgot how to play basketball.  Weird. 

• 1 month later...