New Red Dead Placeholder thread

Baboontyme

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 6:48 PM, NateHitch said:

Anyone tried it out on pc? I thought about snagging it when it was on sale for $40 but will probably wait until it hits $19.99

Yeah, seems fine.  I'm not getting any regular crashing or anything like that.  Looks good, etc. 

I don't have a console with that version though, so I couldn't tell you if it blows/is amazing compared to that.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This just showed up on my feed. I will never cease to be amazed at the level of detail they put in this game knowing that 95% of people would never notice. I've played through it twice and I'm pretty sure I've seen maybe 80% of it, if that.

https://www.dualshockers.com/red-dead-redemption-2-mystery-solved-news-ghosts/

This guy on YouTube has some great videos explaining various features and the related historical context.

https://www.youtube.com/c/StrangeManChannel

I've seen the above pop into my various 'my internet is spying on me' social feeds, as well. Can someone explain online to me? I am on PS4. I have a gift card for online play but I literally have never done it for any of my games. I would like to access new content for RDR2 and I'm happy to pay for it. But I don't want to play online if it's some multiplayer shit where every time I log in I get shot by a sniper from 400 yards away and I'm not able to actually do anything. I like single player/story mode. Is this doable in online? 

Yes, totally doable and worth it. If you have any online friends to play with it’s so choice. Every once in a while you’ll get into a nasty scrape with some trolly clan, but they are rare because of the size of the map and there are a number of different ways to get away from it. 

Go for it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am replaying the game in excruciating detail. I am trying to finish Herbalist 9 (getting all 43 plants/herbs) in Chapter 4 as Arthur. There is a problem with that. 3-4 of the plants are only located across the border in Blackwater/Tall Trees and New Austin. As you know if you try to cross into Blackwater area as Arthur you immediately get ambushed by multiple posses of bounty hunters and really can't survive for more than 30 seconds. I've done some googling on this, and apparently even if you are able to get past these guys, when you cross over into New Austin, there is an 'invisible sniper' that headshots you from basically exactly the angle of the camera and will kill Arthur.

At one time there was apparently a glitch you could exploit to get past this. Replay the Angelo Bronte mission where he asks you to kill some grave robbers to get Jack Marston back. And then when you finish the mission you could ride into Blackwater with no adverse affects. But Rockstar found this out and patched it and it no longer works (confirmed). You can still ride into BW/NA mid-mission during the Bronte mission, after losing the law. But you can't really do anything. You lose all of your money, you can't set up camp, you can't find/pick plants. Relatively useless. 

I've seen other videos about people putting a pronghorn on their shoulders and walking by foot, keeping the camera angle centered against the proghorn so the sniper only shoots the pronghorn. Or conversely getting a covered wagon and keeping that wagon canvas between the camera angle and Arthur's dome. Seems like way too much work. And also - no explanation of how you get a wagon past the bounty hunters near the border when you cross over. I've also seen write ups about getting the police in Strawberry to follow you over the border to call the bounty hunters off. And this sort of works, but as soon as I lose them near Manzanita, the bounty hunters spawn and I'm dead. 

TL;DR - anyone have any tips/secrets that can let me play as Arthur in BW/Tall Trees/New Austin?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying watching my wife play through RDR2, right now she's in Chapter 4 so the whole TB thing is going to be a huge gutpunch for her I think. Also for the most part things haven't gotten really out of hand yet but if anybody remembers the end of Ch 4 it's pretty crazy. She should get through it tonight so this should be interesting.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

Saw a blurb earlier that there's a significant DLC update coming to the rdr2 single player portion as well as some updates to the online part. I don't play online but would love some DLC for the single player. Rockstar dropped the ball by not releasing DLC for GTA5, that was a prime time setting and location for adding to the story. Hope they don't make the same mistake with rdr2

On 8/13/2020 at 12:19 AM, Baboontyme said:

I am replaying the game in excruciating detail. I am trying to finish Herbalist 9 (getting all 43 plants/herbs) in Chapter 4 as Arthur. There is a problem with that. 3-4 of the plants are only located across the border in Blackwater/Tall Trees and New Austin. As you know if you try to cross into Blackwater area as Arthur you immediately get ambushed by multiple posses of bounty hunters and really can't survive for more than 30 seconds. I've done some googling on this, and apparently even if you are able to get past these guys, when you cross over into New Austin, there is an 'invisible sniper' that headshots you from basically exactly the angle of the camera and will kill Arthur.

At one time there was apparently a glitch you could exploit to get past this. Replay the Angelo Bronte mission where he asks you to kill some grave robbers to get Jack Marston back. And then when you finish the mission you could ride into Blackwater with no adverse affects. But Rockstar found this out and patched it and it no longer works (confirmed). You can still ride into BW/NA mid-mission during the Bronte mission, after losing the law. But you can't really do anything. You lose all of your money, you can't set up camp, you can't find/pick plants. Relatively useless. 

I've seen other videos about people putting a pronghorn on their shoulders and walking by foot, keeping the camera angle centered against the proghorn so the sniper only shoots the pronghorn. Or conversely getting a covered wagon and keeping that wagon canvas between the camera angle and Arthur's dome. Seems like way too much work. And also - no explanation of how you get a wagon past the bounty hunters near the border when you cross over. I've also seen write ups about getting the police in Strawberry to follow you over the border to call the bounty hunters off. And this sort of works, but as soon as I lose them near Manzanita, the bounty hunters spawn and I'm dead. 

TL;DR - anyone have any tips/secrets that can let me play as Arthur in BW/Tall Trees/New Austin?

This isn't for RDR2, but back in the day I'm the guy that originally figured out how to get into Blackwater in RDR1 early.  I wanted to be able to get the black Stallion and the good guns early on a new play through, so after trying to jump the river a few thousand times I found the waterfall near Bonnie's ranch that loads "Tall Trees" when you're at the edge of the cliff.  Getting arrested there allowed you to wind up in the jail cell in Blackwater, unlocking the zone early.  I updated the RDR Wiki with the steps, and then sometime after people started making videos of the process.

I doubt you can get to Blackwater in a similar way in RDR2, but just wanted to say your post took me back...this hits close to home 😄  Best of luck.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 year later...

I know I'm years late, but I finally got around to playing it after tiring myself out of FIFA for the past half year.

I'm very early in the game, but just got out of a 2-hour trance after discovering Saint Denis. I'm in freaking New Orleans killing time, was supposed to be passing through to hunt a bounty, but I wound up playing a game of dominos (all 5s, like God intended), watching a $2 variety show, buying a new gun and ammunition, and then visiting the black market to sell off a bunch of jewelry I looted from killing the bounty hunters chasing one of my gunslinger book people. This game is really something else. I can kill a whole session of playing by just bullshitting around and then deciding I'll just do the bounty tomorrow. The metaverse lifestyle is already here and I think the sonofabith got me. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I know I'm years late, but I finally got around to playing it after tiring myself out of FIFA for the past half year.
I'm very early in the game, but just got out of a 2-hour trance after discovering Saint Denis. I'm in freaking New Orleans killing time, was supposed to be passing through to hunt a bounty, but I wound up playing a game of dominos (all 5s, like God intended), watching a $2 variety show, buying a new gun and ammunition, and then visiting the black market to sell off a bunch of jewelry I looted from killing the bounty hunters chasing one of my gunslinger book people. This game is really something else. I can kill a whole session of playing by just bullshitting around and then deciding I'll just do the bounty tomorrow. The metaverse lifestyle is already here and I think the sonofabith got me. 
The story has stuck with me since I finished it a few years ago, and it was fun watching my wife play through it later. Enjoy the ride, it's really a masterpiece of a game

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 11:44 PM, BurdineBandit said:

literally same for me, wore out fifa 22 and needed something else. decided to revisit rdr2. since i loaded it fresh into the ps5, i purposely turned off the network so the patches wouldn’t load and i could finish herbalist 9 as arthur like @Baboontyme mentioned a couple years ago lol. total pain in the ass but i just finished it and got the legends of the east outfit. now arthur is virtually indestructible with full cores. also grabbed all the badass horses from the saint denis stable glitch and immediately patched the game bc not having fast travel from campsites was a beating.

i will say load times are much more tolerable on the ps5 too. game is just as great second time thru.

On 8/12/2020 at 11:19 PM, Baboontyme said:

It really is. I’m enjoying elden ring as it’s the only game I’ve played since RDR2 that occupied so much of my time.- but it doesn’t hold a candle to the greatness and just unbelievable attention to detail of rdr2.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Also - the game became such a part of my gaming muscle memory I tried to R3 deadeye multiple times during my play through of Horizon FW and now elden ring.

In horizon it meant I “searched” with my focus - a primary game mechanic. Not a huge deal. In elden ring it means lose/gain enemy lock-on which has cost me dearly multiple times

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...

Just finished my second play through and now trying to do as much as I can as Marston. I saw a good description that a game world has really succeeded when it doesn’t care if you are there, and I think that really does a good job of explaining how good this is. Probably my favorite game ever and I’ve been playing video games since pong. 

Are there plans for a third? Or DLC?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I've been on an extremely slow play through since.... before the pandemic. I never was planning on getting 100% completion (and still don't) but it was a playthrough where I put a lot of effort into the achievements, making the different outfits, etc. I still haven't finished that - there's a number that you can't complete until you're Marston and have access to New Austin (and... man I tried to get past Blackwater as Arthur and I do not think that it is a thing.

Anyways, I've gotten into the end game with that playthrough and I've spent a fair amount of time on my throwaway save (where I can break the canonical high honor approach) and man I spend a lot of time waltzing into Tumbleweed and taking offense to the sheriff's direct approach or disagreeing over cards.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m pretty deep into the epilogue so money isn’t an issue. I finally got all the cig cards and am trying to stamp out the last of the gangs and challenges. Most recently I got my ass kicked for trying to shoot five birds from the top of a moving train. 

I’m not sure I’ll ever get all the legendary fish. Fishing is very boring. 

• 4 weeks later...

I remember playing the game and recognizing one of the voices, the old Native American guy, and looking up the voice cast. The guy who did the main character in the first game had given up acting and moved home and was pulled back to do this game. The voice actors aren't unionized, and their share of the money from the hundreds of millions a game like this makes, it ends up being like a couple hundred bucks per day that they spend working on the game and basically nothing after. Rockstar and RDR are hardly the only studio that does things like this.

Anyway, the voice work was really good in the game. 

When my kid plays now, this is all he does. 

Goes into (insert town)

Approaches stranger

Insults Stranger

"Calm down, I'm jus jerkin your chain!"

Insults Stranger again

"I'm just kiddin"

Insults stranger again. 

"Calm down! I'm just jerkin your chain"

Insults stranger again

Stranger begins to run away

Arthur chases after stranger, insulting him until the police are called

Lose police

Go back into (insert town)

Approach stranger

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

So many dead because of strangers who can’t keep their mouths shut. Especially in Van Horn.

any of you guys fight the hunter in Valentine over and over again? Best fist fight in the game. Beat the shit out of him the first time and steal his coonskin hat. From then on, just put his hat on and walk into town and he’ll rush you.