Give me your Chicago rec’s.

PorscheGuy

Wife (no pics) taking me to Chicago for my 40th. Neither one has ever been.

Love a mix of great restaurants, cool bars, local hole in the walls. Hate the whole 18 course tasting menus thing. Not paying $800 to leave hungry and looking for late night pizza

Going mid July during all star break so no cubs games.

Staying at Thompson Chicago.

So hit me with your can’t miss, old faithful go to’s

Already have drinks at signature room booked and Spiaggia booked

Looking for

deep dish pizza

Old school Chicago steak house (anyone recommend Gibson’s?)

Great bars with views, history or general fantastic day drinking potential.

Go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cocktail Bar: Berkshire Room, Three Dots and a Dash (Tiki Bar),  The Aviary

Pizza: Lou Malnatis, Pequods, Pizanos

Brunch: Little Goat Diner, The Gage

Restaurants: Girl and the Goat, Purple Pig, Au Cheval (Burgers),  You really can't go wrong with anything in the westloop 

Didn't make it to any steak places during my year there, but they are everywhere. 

Go to a Second City Show. 

Edited by Finkle_Is_Einhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Even if you are not into art go to the Art Institute. It’s the main museum near the bean (is the bean still there?). You can spend half a day just in the Impressionist wing. I’m a fan of Gino’s East for chicago pizza. Agree on the Second City comedy club recommendation. It’s a shame that the Cubs aren’t playing. And get a Chicago hot dog somewhere. Lots of places around. And do the Architecture tour on the boat through downtown. If you are a runner, do a run along the waterfront beginning downtown near the Hancock Center (it has a new name-not sure what it's called now) and going north as far as you want. Your wife will probably want to shop along Michigan Ave one day so hit the Ralph Lauren Cafe for lunch when you are there.

• Like 1

Lou Malnatis is my favorite deep dish there.

If Gibson’s is the place that brings out the trey of meat and let’s you choose then yes that one. That trey had some of the largest lobster tails I’ve ever seen.

Go walk the park downtown and check out the giant bean. Maybe there is a festival going on

For fun you can go to the place made famous in SNL.

Have lived in the Chicago area for almost 3 years after 8 yrs in SF 

Here's some of my recs:

Pizza: Pequod's 

Wrigleyville Patio Bars: Old Crow, Deuce's

Other Patio Bars: Benchmark (Old Town), Parlor, Kaiser Tiger, Federales (all in West Loop). 

Restaurants: Maple and Ash, Del Seoul for Korean tacos, Little Goat for brunch (if no availability at Girl and the Goat), Cruz Blanca for food and craft brews, and Chicago Cut for steak

Girl and the Goat is old hat now but seriously good eats the couple times I’ve been there. Maude’s Liquor Bar nearby is good too.

Maple & Ash for a good bar and steak scene

Kuma’s Corner for heavy metal burgers

+1 on Lou’s for pizza, many locations

The Flamingo Rum Club, Joy District for nightlife

Boka was good

The Violet Hour is a fancy cocktail speakeasy place in Wicker Park, and good if you like that sort of thing

6 hours ago, TornACL said:

We ended up at Chicago Athletic Club on a work / convention deal last year. That place was pretty cool.

Went to (was in) an amazing wedding there once.  Had a Duck Salad in the men's grill on the bride's dad when the pictures took too long and the grooms side retired for some drinks and food.

Have to go to Chicago (burbs) for a wedding in September. Gonna stay in the city because I’ve never been to Chicago. And fuck the suburbs. Going for three days. Going to try and fit in a Cubs game, some great pizza, Art Institute, etc. 

Whats a good hotel downtown? Seems like 500/ night is the norm there. Wanted to stay close to the river so I can recreate the Fugitive chase scene (kidding)

Not huge on steaks but Gene and Georgetti’s is good. Prime and Provisions is a newer spot with a lot of buzz. 

You could spend a week just eating on Randolph Row/Fulton Market. I will echo the recs for Au Cheval and Duck Duck/Little Goat. Any of Izard or Sodikoff’s projects are worth checking out.

High-class Mexican: Rick Bayless’ Frontera Grill and Topolobambo is convenient to River North. Just be aware that his places are closed Sun/Mon. I’d urge you to check websites before venturing out on Monday. Hit up his place at O’Hare at the very least, they’re open all 7 days.

If bar hopping is your thing, Wrigleyville is worth checking out even with the Cubs on the road. They paved over one of the Wrigley lots to put in a little park (Gallagher Way) that has events during the summer. Farmer’s Market and what not. Fair warning, frat stars galore at the bars up there.

Definitely do The Gage for brunch if you’re hitting the Art Institute.

@ChiTownDoc will likely have great tips, but you might need to let him sober up a bit.

Edited by TheStoicPaisano
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Have to go to Chicago (burbs) for a wedding in September. Gonna stay in the city because I’ve never been to Chicago. And fuck the suburbs. Going for three days. Going to try and fit in a Cubs game, some great pizza, Art Institute, etc. 

Whats a good hotel downtown? Seems like 500/ night is the norm there. Wanted to stay close to the river so I can recreate the Fugitive chase scene (kidding)

Chicago Athletic club, right on the lake, walking distance to lots of stuff, uber cool restoration of this great 19th building, great game room, and no standing in line to go up to Cindys roof top bar (with lots of great bourbons to choose from)

Pequods is the only correct answer for deep dish.

Spacca Napoli for Neapolitan Style

Architectural Boat tour (they serve beer)

Art Institute

Go get a combo from Mr. Beef

You're good on Signature Room

Go see a show at Second City

Go to a Cubs game

If you do all of that, you'll have a fucking awesome visit.

Otherwise as others have stated, there are a thousand bars and a thousand amazing restaurants so you'd really have to give us an idea of what kind of shit you're into to make an informed recommendation

18 hours ago, drewcifer said:

WIfe and I are going in a few weeks to see the Foos and I booked the Moxy for $250/per. It looks new and no-frills, but I don't need a lot of extra amenities. It's near the river. Marriott property.

We stay at the Hotel Palomar pretty much every trip now. The location is convenient to everything we want to do and Kimpton’s have always been solid. Pricing is very up and down, so it depends on when you are going and what is going on. I’ve stayed for less than $200 a night on a few trips. When my wife goes with her mother, they stay at a Courtyard in that vicinity that has been on the cheaper side and worked for them.

Jr. and I were going to stop there on our way back from Milwaukee/GB but the place was deader than shit, wanted a crowd to see the shithshow.  We had planned on doing Pequod’s our last night in Chicago but was still full from lunch at Au Cheval, we ended up at Malnati’s for a late dinner and it was closer to our hotel. 

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Pequods is the only correct answer for deep dish.

Spacca Napoli for Neapolitan Style

Architectural Boat tour (they serve beer)

Art Institute

Go get a combo from Mr. Beef

You're good on Signature Room

Go see a show at Second City

Go to a Cubs game

If you do all of that, you'll have a fucking awesome visit.

Otherwise as others have stated, there are a thousand bars and a thousand amazing restaurants so you'd really have to give us an idea of what kind of shit you're into to make an informed recommendation

Listen to this man. And it's already been mentioned, but I fucking love Girl and Goat. You're going to have to wait but it's worth it. 

11 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Well, that answers that.. thanks. 

Donnie, who used to run the place, died last year. He WAS Stanley's. Great dude. He will be missed.

The bar wasn't really my scene, but I used to host Live Band Karaoke and Redneck Bingo there occasionally. Had some good times. Food wasn't bad.

You'll need a half day at the Art Institute. I would say a MINIMUM of three hours, but I would allocate four.

Another cool and fun thing to do is to take the Water Taxi down to Chinatown and get some dim sum and watch an old chinese dude whack the head off a turtle and butcher the meat. 

For old school, simple Italian, I like La Scarola.

Cocktails at the Matchbox is always a great idea

If you like indie rock and punk rock and that bullshit, see who's playing at the Empty Bottle.

Edited by irishtexan

I was there for a bachelor party about 10 years ago, and we got fucking hammered at some bar called the Oakwood several nights in a row.  It was cheap as fuck (for Chicago) and kind of a classic Chicago dive bar.  Bar close in Chicago is like 4AM, FYI.  We staggered back to my buddy's brother's place in Wrigleyville, climbed up on top of his apartment complex, and watched the sun come up over Lake Michigan.

That was a good time.

15 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

It hasn't been mentioned, so I will note a few things.

Go earlier to Wrigleyville to get pre game drinks on. You want suggestion let me know. 

Don't know your style or situation, but if it is a Friday or Sat day game, it's gonna get pretty rowdy the later in the evening  you go. Nothing great to fear, just might not want family, particularly children or sensitive wife around after say 8 or so. It's a don't start no shit won't be no shit, white boys getting tanked vibe. Running just dudes, you're fine. 

Take the Red Line up if it is any where close to game time (and shame on you for not getting your pre-game on right). 

You must have a hot dog, you must have it Chicago style. 

River tour is amazing, read Devil in the White City prior if possible. It will make that tour WAY, WAY more enjoyable. Take some water with you, as some of them you'll be sitting on a hot deck in the sun and you will probably be intoxicated already. Also check the weather because you might need a rain jacket. You can hit the Billy Goat prior to the tour, its pretty close off Michigan, pre or post tour burgers. Burgers are just edible, but it's a must see, imo.

Provide more time than you think you will need for the Art Institute. Its really, really big and there is so much amazing art. Artsy types in particular are going to want to spend more than 4 hours likely. 

I am old and boring so my days of pregamming, getting black out drunk, and getting into it with Hooligans will are long gone. Will def get some Chicago Dogs and beers at the game. 

We are not super artsy so doubt we will need 4 hours for Art Institute but noted. 

Thanks for the Devil in White City rec. very helpful. 

I’m sure I will revisit this thread closer to trip and look for restaurant. 

9 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

La Scarola very is solid, but they should know, they are going to have to be rolled out of the place. The portions are insane. 

Hit Emmits next door after. Ronnie will probably be around. Gave me more tips about Chicago than anyone else. Richards is between La Scarola and Emmits, cash only bar, and don't talk shit to the tall dudes with russian accents standing at the end of the bar. Otherwise, it's a trip. You see an older 6'7" 290-320 lbs freakishly dude cut up wearing bedazzled jeans and a skin tight shirt, that's Todd, tell him his buddy from Texas said hello. 

Water Taxi turtle death is a SOLID rec. 

As I noted earlier, this dude fucks. 

Skip Emmit's. Go to Richard's.

And this is my last comment - but skip Weiner Circle. It's a fucking weird neo-minstrel show where drunk frat boys go to get insulted by loud black women that work there. It's super awkward.

On 7/4/2018 at 6:55 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

Not huge on steaks but Gene and Georgetti’s is good. Prime and Provisions is a newer spot with a lot of buzz. 

You could spend a week just eating on Randolph Row/Fulton Market. I will echo the recs for Au Cheval and Duck Duck/Little Goat. Any of Izard or Sodikoff’s projects are worth checking out.

High-class Mexican: Rick Bayless’ Frontera Grill and Topolobambo is convenient to River North. Just be aware that his places are closed Sun/Mon. I’d urge you to check websites before venturing out on Monday. Hit up his place at O’Hare at the very least, they’re open all 7 days.

If bar hopping is your thing, Wrigleyville is worth checking out even with the Cubs on the road. They paved over one of the Wrigley lots to put in a little park (Gallagher Way) that has events during the summer. Farmer’s Market and what not. Fair warning, frat stars galore at the bars up there.

Definitely do The Gage for brunch if you’re hitting the Art Institute.

@ChiTownDoc will likely have great tips, but you might need to let him sober up a bit.

Nice work TSP.  Also, you're right, I did need some time after the boat to put together a post.  Chicago in the summer is a bitch on the liver...

Just to add...on steaks, Maple And Ash has an amazing scene and also a pretty damn good steak.  The spinalis is off the menu and one of the best steaks you'll ever have.  Request it.  

Randolph Row/Fulton Market - agree 100%, tons of spots to hit.  I'll add the new Melman/LEYE spot, Aba...tons of eye candy and some damn good mediterranean food.  

Love Rick Bayless - anyone traveling through ORD should eat there and forget everything else. 

The only reason you should be in Wrigleyville is for a Cubs game...the bro bars there kind of suck.  River North has Bodega for a club/lounge...it's not listed everywhere but speakeasy wannabe type place behind Barrio restaurant.  It's not bad and usually has some good talent.  Gets good around midnight.  Before that you'll want to stick to rooftops and patios during the summer.  There's tons of them.  Can give recs of anyone wants but hard to miss on any of 'em. 

Lots of good brunch spots... Eater does a good job here:  https://chicago.eater.com/maps/best-chicago-brunch-restaurants

The architecture tour someone mentioned is badass too - makes sure it's the official one form CAF.  The others are not nearly as good...

Lots of good museums etc.  Enjoy

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Skip Emmit's. Go to Richard's.

And this is my last comment - but skip Weiner Circle. It's a fucking weird neo-minstrel show where drunk frat boys go to get insulted by loud black women that work there. It's super awkward.

I can get behind all of this.  I really don't get Weiner Circle...

On 6/29/2018 at 5:29 PM, 6th Street said:

North Ave beach is great during the summer time too.

Chcago Athletic Club also a solid choice - nice rooftop bar with solid view of millennium and grant park and the lake. On the middle floor there's a bunch of shuffleboards

We do our company holiday party here and as long as it's around we'll never change.  The place really does have something for everyone.  They knocked it out of the park on the restoration.  

18 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Listen to this man. And it's already been mentioned, but I fucking love Girl and Goat. You're going to have to wait but it's worth it. 

And if it's booked you can take a chance of going and getting a seat at the bar to eat. Not for everyone but first come first serve and you can order the full menu.

20 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

For sunset I always took folks to Signature Lounge at Hancock. Get there early and get a window seat, go during the week. This way you can skip the cluster fuck that is "Sears", it will always be Sears tower to me. 

This is the pro local tip. Fuck the Sears tower hard. It's expensive and full of dirty tourists. The Hancock building is where it's at. It won't be nearly as crowded and has spectacular views (I think even better than the Sears) 

This is the pro local tip. Fuck the Sears tower hard. It's expensive and full of dirty tourists. The Hancock building is where it's at. It won't be nearly as crowded and has spectacular views (I think even better than the Sears) 

Plus, sneak down to the condo section to find out where Chris Farley died. He drank himself to death at the Cheesecake Factory at the base of the building.

7a34630aeaa38d0a9af013a2a1b58108.jpg

A little old school photo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

Isn’t the OG Billy Goat Tavern out near the Arena?  We checked it out after a ballgame back in November, didn’t order anything though. 

The OG was by the Old Chicago Stadium but it is no more with the United Center there. In fact I think they built the UC on top of where it used to be. The current oldest I believe is on Michigan Ave. There is one near the UC but it isn't the original I know that. 

Edited by JimmyHoffa
  • Like 1

I like Quartino, but perhaps the vibe is better than the food. Don't get me wrong - the food is solid, and I would go back, but ultimately there may be better choices closer to you. 

The Gage is great - prefer to eat at the bar solo when I'm there on business. 

The tasting menus are interesting at Topolobampo, I quite enjoyed the recent 'Art Menu'. The margaritas there are seriously good. 

Jotting down notes here for my next visit. . . 

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Holy shit the city is perfect today.  Gonna rip up and down lake shore drive before the boozing kicks in.  This is why you live through the miserable winters - admittedly, these days, I cheat and leave quite a bit for those 8 months...

If you're getting the same weather were getting 6 hours west, you ain't kidding.

It is fucking spectacular in the Upper Midwest.

• Like 1