2018 Wimbledon

spystud13

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Chris Fowler was so over the top when it ended. Basically no credit to Kerber.

Kerber is a better tennis player than Williams right now. All time? Williams is probably the greatest and much much better than Kerber. 6 months from now? I'd put my money on Williams being better again. Right now? Kerber is better and the superior player beat the crap out of the interior player.

"Serena looked off balance". "Serena didn't play her best today". "Serena is still a winner today".

One after the other, no mention of Kerber -_-

34 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Chris Fowler was so over the top when it ended. Basically no credit to Kerber.

Kerber is a better tennis player than Williams right now. All time? Williams is probably the greatest and much much better than Kerber. 6 months from now? I'd put my money on Williams being better again. Right now? Kerber is better and the superior player beat the crap out of the inferior player.

Yeah, there is a time for praising the loser and a time to give credit to the winner. Right after a loss is not the time to give us a dissertation as to why Serena lost, other than she just got beaten today.

Serena still needs to get a bit more fit if she wants to win another slam. This draw couldn't have unfolded more perfectly for Serena, only having to face 2 seeds all tournament, and she couldn't get it done. She'll need to be even better at the US Open if she hopes to win it.

Edited by perfectchaos007

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

"Serena looked off balance". "Serena didn't play her best today". "Serena is still a winner today".

One after the other, no mention of Kerber -_-

52 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Yeah, there is a time for praising the loser and a time to give credit to the winner. Right after a loss is not the time to give us a dissertation as to why Serena lost, other than she just got beaten today.

It sounds like you guys must have been following the American feed. I heard once that there is a bit of homerism when an American network is calling a match featuring an American player. 

Perhaps the German feed might have focused a bit more on the winner. 

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

It sounds like you guys must have been following the American feed. I heard once that there is a bit of homerism when an American network is calling a match featuring an American player. 

Perhaps the German feed might have focused a bit more on the winner. 

I was watching ESPN. Frankly, I'd rather listen to McEnroe broadcast by himself. I can do without Chris Fowler.

And ESPN... 

"After 2017, nobody was expecting me to come back so strong, to win my third Grand Slam, win Wimbledon, which was always my dream," Kerber said after becoming one of only five women ever to beat Williams in a Grand Slam final. "Two weeks ago, nobody expected I can go so far."

Well, she kinda did it like 29 months ago too, but who’s counting. 

1 hour ago, Orca of Peace said:

that Isner - Anderson match had to be the tallest of all time, right? My god, whatever happened to the 5'10 - 6'1 players?

I'm not complaining. I love power tennis. I miss guys like Philippousis and Krajicek.

The final was Nadal and Djokovic.  As soon as the Isner and Anderson semi hit about 9-9 in the 5th, all the drama for the actual final was gone.  Disappointing end after Fed/Anderson, Rafa/Delpo, Isner/Anderson, and Rafa/Djokovic were all time classics leading up to it.  All in all it was a fantastic tournament, and one that could really set the summer hard court season on fire.  

Who is the favorite in New York?  Djokovic has his confidence and game back would be a wise bet.  Nadal has lost 3 matches all year (1 injury retirement, another a 5th set classic), just had his best run in 7 years on his worst surface and is the defending champion.  Federer won the first hard court major of the year and has won 2 of the last 3 on the surface.  Delpo can beat absolutely anyone on any day and looks better than he has in years.  Or perhaps a youngster will finally step up...doubtful.

This is the most I have looked forward to a summer hard court season in at least 5 years.

3 hours ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

The final was Nadal and Djokovic.  As soon as the Isner and Anderson semi hit about 9-9 in the 5th, all the drama for the actual final was gone.  Disappointing end after Fed/Anderson, Rafa/Delpo, Isner/Anderson, and Rafa/Djokovic were all time classics leading up to it.  All in all it was a fantastic tournament, and one that could really set the summer hard court season on fire.  

Who is the favorite in New York?  Djokovic has his confidence and game back would be a wise bet.  Nadal has lost 3 matches all year (1 injury retirement, another a 5th set classic), just had his best run in 7 years on his worst surface and is the defending champion.  Federer won the first hard court major of the year and has won 2 of the last 3 on the surface.  Delpo can beat absolutely anyone on any day and looks better than he has in years.  Or perhaps a youngster will finally step up...doubtful.

This is the most I have looked forward to a summer hard court season in at least 5 years.

Unless they've sped up the courts, I would still say Rafa is the favorite if he's healthy. He almost beat Djoker in his worst conditions (indoor grass) so I'd say he's the favorite at the USO unless Fed regains his 2017 form or Djoker gets better between now and the USO thru playing the American hardcourt tournies. I think Delpo and Cilic can be dangerous for obvious reasons...as far as dark horse candidates go, I'd say Chung? If he could get healthy. He could grind on those courts.

Edited by Bodowned

ESPN had increased TV ratings for the women's final at Wimbledon, but a decrease for the men's final.

The women's final between Angelique Kerber and Serena Williams drew a 2.1 rating, peaking at 2.4 during the final quarter, according to an ESPN announcement. That is up from 2017, when Garbine Muguruza and Venus Williams got a 1.7, and the highest since 2015.

It also said that the entire broadcast drew a 1.4 rating, including both the conclusion of the men's semifinal between Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, and the five-set men's doubles final won by Mike Bryan and Jack Sock. That is an 86 percent increase from a year ago.

Subsequently, initial ratings released for the men's final were 0.9, down from 1.5 in 2017 and the lowest since ESPN began broadcasting the finals in 2012.

But according to ESPN, ratings for the marathon men's semifinals were up, getting a 1.0 for a broadcast that was extended by four hours. That is higher than 0.8 in 2017, and again the highest since 2015.