Guys who don't like sports

Modessit

2 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

9 times out of ten I'll say that I'm really into college football, and new friend prospect says "I'm really into NFL" or "I'm really into golf."

i think I hang out with too many elitist whities.

luckily my inner circle is all die hard longhorn and my kid is probably the most intense UT fan I've ever met. Brainwashing him was the smartest thing I ever did. UT sports buddy for life AND someone to look out for me when I'm old!

My family is four-generation Longhorns and I failed to indoctrinate my son. I think it's because his mom is English. 

I love the Horns and the Astros. Could give zero fucks about NFL. I’ve season tickets for UT football, hit away games etc

Pretty much any sport involving UT I’ll watch and follow. 

I like going to MLB games but will rarely watch them on TV. 

My older brother doesn't care at all about sports and spends all his time bitching about politics.

My SIL dated a guy once who didn't watch sports, drink beer, or eat meat. I had never met a guy before him that I literally had nothing to talk about with.

Dan Lebotard of ESPN radio does a fairly regular segment with his own brother who can’t answer a single question about sports.  Lebotard and his father make a living off sports and their own brother / son doesn’t know who Tom Brady is.... 

Pretty fascinating to contemplate how 2 kids raised in the same environment can be wired oppositely.

I’ve got some buddies who are just golf-centered but no one other than that  I can think of who isn’t a fan of at least one team sport. 

I know a few. Most of them are really into music or video games. I have one coworker who doesn't watch any sports other than soccer, and it's 100% because he just wants to be a hipster person that says he likes soccer. I'll never understand what it is about that sport that makes Americans think they are so sophisticated and cool for watching it. It's honestly one of the most simple and uncomplicated games to understand, hence it's worldwide popularity. 

I'm a casual fan of most sports, but the only ones I really follow are CFB and the MLB. 

What's worse: the guy that doesn't like sports, so there's nothing to talk about; or the guy that knows nothing about sports but wants to talk about it as if he does?

My ex-BIL was the latter. He was an ou fan and wanted to talk shit about how great they are, but couldn't name more than one player. He only talked about football, too. Basketball was for "niggers" and even though he wrestled in HS, he wouldn't discuss wrestling because ou can't hold a candle to OSU. Right before the start of Adrian Peterson's freshman year, he asked me if he was "any good? Will he start?". I just said "I dunno" to everything. Those conversations were a beating.

Do you know any? Other than my dad, none of the guys I am close to care about sports at all. My best friend is gay and couldn't care less about sports, my other close friends barely know Texas has a football team, and my brother is useless.

0b0cf1f54595593c5b71da9b3b67bf83.gif

1 hour ago, threesheets said:

I prefer people who don't like sports to people that think they are everything.

True, but the flip side of that are those people who don't like sports and believe themselves to be inherently intellectually superior to anyone that does. 

On 6/29/2018 at 8:28 PM, Modessit said:

Do you know any? Other than my dad, none of the guys I am close to care about sports at all. My best friend is gay and couldn't care less about sports, my other close friends barely know Texas has a football team, and my brother is useless.

There is/was a commercial with Dan Marino talking about home equity and mortgages and it starts with Dan saying, "Hi, I'm Dan Marino." I told my dad that if someone knows who Dan Marino is they don't need to be told he's Dan Marino, but if they don't know who Dan Marino is being told he's Dan Marino won't help. Just then - My brother walked in and said, "Why is David Hasselhoff on TV?"

Dude, you need new friends....and I think you may be adopted.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Helobious said:

I know a few. Most of them are really into music or video games. I have one coworker who doesn't watch any sports other than soccer, and it's 100% because he just wants to be a hipster person that says he likes soccer. I'll never understand what it is about that sport that makes Americans think they are so sophisticated and cool for watching it. It's honestly one of the most simple and uncomplicated games to understand, hence it's worldwide popularity. 

I'm a casual fan of most sports, but the only ones I really follow are CFB and the MLB. 

Hipsters like anything European.  Or Asian.   Pretty anything that isn't mainstream merican. 

12 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

All of my friends are sports fans.  It's not a coincidence.  It could be argued that my girlfriend is a bigger college football fan than I am - but it would be a loud argument.  Anyway, also not a coincidence.

All my buds growing up are/were sports fans for the most part, friends I make now that I'm older aren't always.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, RDCanecutter said:

I like College Football. I will go to a local baseball game, but damned if I'll choose to sit through it on TV.

Don't gamble or identify with any pro teams, so no reason to to watch most other things.

Your characters approach a rusty metal porticullis at the end of the corridor. There are lumpish shapes on the floor that turn out to be skeletons in fragments of chainmail armor. Orkish, from the one skull that survives unsmashed. You hear water dripping, nothing else. What do you do?

I once tried to learn the video puzzle/game "Myst" so's I could impress a female. I bedded the lucky lady and that was that.

An old college roommate had a mild interest in playing sports--he should have, he was 6'7''--but could not give a shit about watching it on TV. We went to the first game our freshman year together, and possibly also OU that year, but those were the only games he went to while a student or since. He didn't watch any on TV or follow any teams at all. Ironically, he later roomed with a friend of ours on the '05 championship team. Our walk-on friend actually liked that he was sports-agnostic because he was never bothered by constant questions about the team or season.

19 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

So how does sports passion translate into business success? All of the real business/sales rockstars I know are intensely competitive and at least love sports or played them.

This is a good point. Not saying you can't be successful if you don't have a competitive spirit, but it certainly helps. Every real sports fan I know (including myself) is ultra competitive. 

20 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

So how does sports passion translate into business success? All of the real business/sales rockstars I know are intensely competitive and at least love sports or played them.

I don't know man, look at the guys who have occupied the White House. Some athletes but not a lot. I bet Carter was a scrappy dude.

Sports are cool when you are young. I was obsessed with sports, had SI for Kids, played sports video games and obviously little league and highschool sports. When you peak and can't pass on to the world of professional sports you do other things. To be as obsessed with it as an adult as you were a kid is weird, to me. Once the NFL players with HOF careers started being younger than me it really called into question why the heck I care about kids playing a sport. 
My personal opinion is just that in my life, I have a strain of my resources of time and money and there are more important things to pour into like my wife and kids and my job and more important things to pursue as a life-long learner than sports. It all boils down to what you value and how you want to focus your years 30-80 on this earth, so your mileage may vary.
I agree with this. My interest has been fading in recent years as I just don't have as much free time as I once did. Even so, I can still hold a somewhat intelligent conversation about them when needed. I also still enjoy watching games when I have a free day with absolutely nothing to do.