wc day 16... or day 17.... :: maradona's stash

Hagbard Celine

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

The ambiguous time management of soccer is so infuriating compared to the ‘to the second’ procedures of American football.

Keeps the game relatively smooth.  It's a battle of momentum that waxes and wanes.  Fuck the millisecond management of basketball and A.Football

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, gaspar said:

Another entertaining game. Cavani made a “pulling apart” motion with his hands when he came off - probably a pulled hamstring or calf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, they were icing his calf.  Can't imagine he'll play against France.

Keeps the game relatively smooth.  It's a battle of momentum that waxes and wanes.  Fuck the millisecond management of basketball and A.Football

I’m fine with the clock running during breaks, even if the ref sorta makes up how long stoppage should be at the end of a half...but the ‘ref arbitrarily defines when the game ends’ removes the opportunity for clear buzzer beaters like in basketball, although it certainly removes a situation where the last 15s of game clock can take 20m of real time.

In fact I like the clock otherwise...it provides a clean 95-110 minutes planning to watch the game, there’s no ‘kickoff then 3m of commercials’ crap, doing stupid shit like faking injuries can cost you valuable time, and you’re right regarding momentum. Just seems very arbitrary and open to conspiracy theories.

25 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’m fine with the clock running during breaks, even if the ref sorta makes up how long stoppage should be at the end of a half...but the ‘ref arbitrarily defines when the game ends’ removes the opportunity for clear buzzer beaters like in basketball, although it certainly removes a situation where the last 15s of game clock can take 20m of real time.

The thing is the final score is very representative of the strength of the game so its rarely contested.  I dont ever remember a controversy over the final whistle being blown too soon, or too late, since the chance of a game-swinging flash goal is so astronomically low.  

Its not so much the extension of gametime in basketball that feels annoying, its that a 10-point swing can be manufactured in 60 seconds.... which that feels completely unnatural relative to, and almost invalidates, the other 47 minutes of the game.  

Football atleast strikes a better balance with a live clock on running plays.

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

uruguay is going to put up more of a fight than argentina; G/M/P will have a harder time of it than they had this morning.  if cavanni can go it's going to be a fantastic game.

Uruguay is a much better TEAM than Argentina.