Immigrants and Employers

Ted Lange

50 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I hear this a lot. And it’s a great thought, but think about this:

How helpless do you feel to affect change here in the US? Now imagine a place that is corrupt on a level that is almost impossible to imagine. Then add on top of that poverty and violent crime that makes the worst parts of the US look like Disneyworld. I don’t fault these folks for wanting to leave at any means. Does that mean I want an open border? Nope. But what your suggesting is so far beyond possible for your average Mexican (or Guatemalan, salvadoreño, etc).

I am more in line with what brisket and Sack are suggesting.

In college, I worked at that nursery at the corner of 360 and Bee Caves. The other laborer was a Mexican guy that would work there for 6 months the. Go back to Mexico and work there with his family. I am guessing a whole lot would do that kind of thing if they didn’t think they would be locked up or have their kids taken from them.

Effect. Effect change. You’re. And I agree with you. My housekeeper takes the bus back to Monterrey quarterly. Her daughter, now a citizen, and grandkids live here. Her son is about 30 and still in Monterrey and was stabbed in a carjacking recently. 

Edited by Guest

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have a guest worker program, as I have been supportive of that idea before. Im saying the Mexican government needs to declare war on the cartels and get rid of them once and for all. It won’t ever happen, but it should.

Wanna give em a huge assist? Legalize drugs, instead of demanding that they fight a war of our making.

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wanna give em a huge assist? Legalize drugs, instead of demanding that they fight a war of our making.

The notion that such a war would be of our making is absurd. 

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You know who is running or will be in the very near future all the "legal" grow operation in California?

The cartels, they've gone from growing on public land to buying property and setting up shop. I'm not against legalization but its not going to dent the cartels ability to profit from drugs

I was.

On ta mi taco e lengua weyyyyy.

dame ese taco o  te mato.

We should go “Clear and Present Danger” and send a cruise missle into a few of the homes of the cartel....I’m mostly kinda kidding.

Edit: didn’t mean to quote RD on this post. Was speaking to the post prior.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

We should go “Clear and Present Danger” and send a cruise missle into a few of the homes of the cartel....I’m mostly kinda kidding.

Edit: didn’t mean to quote RD on this post. Was speaking to the post prior.

There are no accidents. Your hostility is noted.

I salute you, my now eternal enemy.

You know who is running or will be in the very near future all the "legal" grow operation in California?
The cartels, they've gone from growing on public land to buying property and setting up shop. I'm not against legalization but its not going to dent the cartels ability to profit from drugs

That’s because it’s still not legal enough to draw investment and capital from legit investors. As soon as it does (legal on a federal level), RJR, Merck, etc will take over. See our history with fruit plantations. There may be a fight. It won’t last long.

There are no accidents. Your hostility is noted.
I salute you, my now eternal enemy.

b13b58d7d31fe2824c5cccf1804c95a0.jpg

In all seriousness, I love Mexico and the Mexican people. I’ve been all over Mexico and found damn near everyone gracious. It’s a beautiful country that shouldn’t be in the situation it is in and seems to always be in.
  • Like 1

Didn't you take a bus to Tecoman? I lived a half-hour from Tecoman. Useta be a cafe called La Rana Rosa that this local boy who'd been a singer came back and opened. Think he moved it to Colima.

[/flamenco guitar]

(Now that we are eternal enemies, all our communications must be faultlessly polite, with flamenco guitar riffs between then, building up tension until we tragically level the town.)

Yes I did. From Laredo to Guadalajara where I ate and, coincidentally, took a dump at the bus station. We stayed at the Hotel Super Tecoman and took taxis down to Boca de Pescaules every day. We met some sisters that owned a restaurant right on the south side of the beach and drank them out of beer everyday and ate camerones a la diabla for lunch after eating ceviche for breakfast. We bought a quarter pound of weed for $8 and got high as goats before we went to the local rodeo. The Lee were Mexican Midget Mighty Morphine Power Rangers trying to rope calves. The rodeo clown came into the stands just to mess with the Gringos in the crowd. It was glorious and it’s sad that I don’t think there is any way I would let my son have a similar adventure in Mexico these days.

Ex and I took a bus from the border to Merida in '92....That was my second trip there -- first one was my Catholic high school service trip, where I, a Catholic, helped build Presbyterian churches in a Catholic country. (And made out with smokin' hot Protestant public school chicks while smashed on Don Pedro and Coke. Which is the worst hangover conceivable, but I digress.) 

After a few days in Merida the ex said it was time to move to the beach, so I looked at a map and saw a nearby town with a pretty name: Playa del Carmen. And so we went, and it was amazing. There was only one hotel with AC there back then, and we didn't stay in it. We stayed on the edge of town, where there were still Mayans spearing iguanas in the street. There were no Americans there then -- it was all Canucks, Brits, and Eurotrash....And we stayed there about two months, drinking, fucking, and fighting. 

Like Steve Earle said, that's one place I'll nevv-errr gooo, in my life, again. 

• Like 1

^^^ EXACTLY.

As for a real understanding of the border, here’s some images from the west side of SA (we’re at a baseball tourney - they made the title game, so we’re here through lunch).

I stopped at a nearby grocery earlier to pick up some fresh tortillas to bring home. There was a buzzing machine of older Mexican ladies making breakfast tacos (.75 each or 2 for $1 - take that Torchy’s). The clientele and staff were speaking both languages casually. Happy people on a Sunday morning. Were some undocumented? Maybe. They were just folks getting tacos and chatting, like everyone else.

After game 1, we hit a joint for lunch. Had them change from the telenovela to the soccer game.

a464ee072aa32dd5d3d6c53db68060bd.jpg

Barbacoa. Lengua. The game on Telemundo (stupid Russia). The boy with a taco and some first-rate enchiladas. Homemade tortillas. And a lady came in from the street selling homemade desserts: The boy and I shared a fantastic slice of strawberry cake. A perfect between-games lunch. An older Hispanic man stopped us as we were leaving; he wanted to talk baseball, because he’d played semi-pro back in the day. Mostly Hispanic folks, speaking both languages (the boy ordered entirely in Spanish - good stuff). A few white folks. Several young black guys with dreads. A perfect slice not just of Mexico, or Texas, but AMERICA. This is no “crisis.” This is who we are. And we are better for it.

Yeah, people who grow up in Texas, especially South Texas, experience that and often have a moderate view on immigration. Outside of that- more hardline, less reasonable. Family I know in the Northeast are the most intolerant.
Maybe we all need to sit down and break masa over real Barbacoa on a Sunday.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have a guest worker program, as I have been supportive of that idea before. Im saying the Mexican government needs to declare war on the cartels and get rid of them once and for all. It won’t ever happen, but it should.

They have, and the politicians who did declare war are dead or soon will be. We are complicit for all the shit in our hemisphere. Business, government, bananas, booger sugar. We are guilty.

That’s because it’s all cash still because of the federal govt. That part of state only legality is super fucked. Thanks Jeff.