Rodney Reed denied DNA testing

PilotsError

I think the point of Reed's latest request is that there is allegedly a newer technology DNA exam that did not exist at the time of the trial.  They hope to test each end of the belt with the hope that it would find DNA that points to the boyfriend.  The problem is as stated above.  The belt has been handled by so many people and the boyfriend lived with the deceased where he could have handled it also.  So what is the point, is the position of the state.  I tend to believe every stone should be turned but again where is the line? This is DNA exam three or four.   

To date, Reed’s DNA was found in semen inside Stacey’s body, semen in her panties, saliva on her breasts and, most recently, on the pants on her body and on the back brace inside the truck. Those recent findings actually are more inculpatory than all of the other evidence because they link Reed to both Stacey’s body and her truck on 4/23/96.

The clearest explanation for her appearance when her body was discovered was that a rape had happened. There is ample evidence that Stites was raped. There is also ample evidence refuting the earlier time of death. Stacey was found shirtless, with her pants undone and the zipper broken. Her underwear were bunched around her hips. Rodney Reed’s semen was found in small quantities in that underwear, suggesting recent deposit. She had injuries to her upper arms consistent with being grabbed and held and injuries to the top of her head, consistent with knuckles from a fist.

If she had consensual sex with Reed on Sunday as Reed has argued, do you really think she'd still be wearing those underwear, after being at home with her mom and fiance... and would continue to wear them for work early on Tuesday morning?

Edited by Johnny Sack

(1) DNA consistent with Reed’s DNA has been found from semen inside Stacey Stites, with in tact sperm cells found independently by Dr. Bayardo and Karen Blakely.

(2) DNA consistent with Reed’s was found in saliva on Stacey’s breast.

(3) DNA consistent with Reed’s was found in Stacey’s panties, which showed little movement after deposit of semen.

(4) DNA consistent with Reed’s was found in 2014 on the pants that were on Stacey’s body and the back brace in her truck, coincidentally linking him to both Stacey’s body and the truck.

(5) Stacey was found wearing her work pants, socks and tennis shoes, with her work shirt in the truck and the white tee-shirt she wore under it found near her body, all of which is consistent with Stacey leaving her apartment at 3:00 a.m. to go to work and report at H.E.B. at 3:30 a.m.

(6) No credible, reliable witnesses reported any knowledge of a relationship between Reed and Stacey during the original investigation in 1996.

(7) Reed initially denied knowing Stacey, then claimed a relationship when he learned about the DNA evidence.

(8) The truck was found in the high school parking lot, less than a mile from where Reed lived.

(9) The seat of the truck was pushed all the way back, which would have been impossible for either Fennell, or Stacey to have operated the truck.

(10) Reed has failed to produce any evidence to show how Fennell could have gotten from Bastrop back to Giddings, a distance of about 35 miles, on the morning of April 23, 1996.

(11) Stacey disappeared from the same area/route as the one Linda S. traveled when Reed attempted to abduct her.

(12) Reed has been linked by DNA consistent with his to the 1989 rape of Angela H.

(13) Reed has been linked by DNA consistent with his 1995 rape of Vivian H., which occurred in the same area, six months before Stacey’s murder.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

(1) DNA consistent with Reed’s DNA has been found from semen inside Stacey Stites, with in tact sperm cells found independently by Dr. Bayardo and Karen Blakely.

(2) DNA consistent with Reed’s was found in saliva on Stacey’s breast.

(3) DNA consistent with Reed’s was found in Stacey’s panties, which showed little movement after deposit of semen.

(4) DNA consistent with Reed’s was found in 2014 on the pants that were on Stacey’s body and the back brace in her truck, coincidentally linking him to both Stacey’s body and the truck.

(5) Stacey was found wearing her work pants, socks and tennis shoes, with her work shirt in the truck and the white tee-shirt she wore under it found near her body, all of which is consistent with Stacey leaving her apartment at 3:00 a.m. to go to work and report at H.E.B. at 3:30 a.m.

(6) No credible, reliable witnesses reported any knowledge of a relationship between Reed and Stacey during the original investigation in 1996.

(7) Reed initially denied knowing Stacey, then claimed a relationship when he learned about the DNA evidence.

(8) The truck was found in the high school parking lot, less than a mile from where Reed lived.

(9) The seat of the truck was pushed all the way back, which would have been impossible for either Fennell, or Stacey to have operated the truck.

(10) Reed has failed to produce any evidence to show how Fennell could have gotten from Bastrop back to Giddings, a distance of about 35 miles, on the morning of April 23, 1996.

(11) Stacey disappeared from the same area/route as the one Linda S. traveled when Reed attempted to abduct her.

(12) Reed has been linked by DNA consistent with his to the 1989 rape of Angela H.

(13) Reed has been linked by DNA consistent with his 1995 rape of Vivian H., which occurred in the same area, six months before Stacey’s murder.

None of this can be true.  I didn’t know anything about this case so I spent some time researching it last night and reddit and Oprah are saying he was railroaded by a small Texas town.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

None of this can be true.  I didn’t know anything about this case so I spent some time researching it last night and reddit and Oprah are saying he was railroaded by a small Texas town.  

They found Reed's saliva on her.  How was that there on Tuesday when the body was found if Reed had consensual sex with her on Sunday?

After reviewing the available evidence, this fucker is as guilty as sin.  

All these new witnesses of the relationship were known before the 2017 evidentiary hearings.  Reed’s attorneys chose not to call them.  Because they knew they were full of shit.  It’s  one thing to get on social media or Dr. Phil and lie.  And another to get sworn and and lie.  

The 2014 extra dna testing they did actually further condemned Reed.  His sperm wasn’t found on her back brace in the truck that was abandoned a half mile from Reeds mom’s houses.  

He said they had sex on Sunday.  She was killed Tuesday morning.  And found Tuesday at 3:00 pm.  How was his saliva still on her breast if he last saw her Sunday?  How was his sperm still on her panties that were found pulled down below her hips?   Someone raped her per the ME.  The only DNA in and on her was Reed’s.  

This rape matched his MO. 

He should make his peace with God.  Because he’s going down. 

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I get that this is a DP case and thus the stakes are higher. What really kills me is the #freeRodneyReed bunch. Yeah, b/c there is a 1 in a 10000000 case he did not commit this murder, and I mean that probability literally, not only should he be let off Death Row, but we should turn him loose. And I guess pay him for all those days and nights he spent in prison, all the torment and anguish this poor victim of redneck justice has so stoically endured.

#freeRodneyReed tells me that whoever is posting that shit doesn't know squat about this case and especially not the trail of human wreckage he's left from Bastrop to Wichita Falls. 

Jesus, I got negged a page back just for asking people to consider both sides before jumping on the Innocence Project train.

I’ve read comments by his supporters. They are dumb and misinformed 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ve read comments by his supporters. They are dumb and misinformed 

Some of them are just committing the cardinal sin of only hearing one side of the story and running with it. I think the case against Reed is not getting enough coverage so the anti-death penalty advocates are running amok. They have the field to themselves and they are seeding social media with slanted stories.

I am wishy-washy about the death penalty, but if we are going to have it, it should be reserved for a very small number of the absolute worst offenders, and Reed definitely fits that bill. He is a serial rapist / murderer and he probably wouldn't make it one month on the outside without reoffending, should his most ignorant supporters get his wish and he is freed. 

Jesus, did you read the part about how one of the jurors fled from the courtroom after he saw how torn up his 12-year-old victim's face was from Reed fucking tearing it apart with his goddamn teeth? He's a real-life version of that DeNiro in Cape Fear. 

Campaign against the death penalty all you want. I could live with Reed locked up for life. But to (figuratively) march around under a Free Rodney Reed banner? That is fucking butt-dumb. Read about the damn cases, people. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, futureman said:

gordon and junes on 1310 campaigning for reed’s release on the ticket right now during muse in the news. not shocked by anything from junes but I really would have expected gordon to do some research beyond tweets from kim kardashian. 

Glad I don’t listen to the ticket.  This would have made me ragey.  

1) I think it's rather likely that Reed is guilty of this crime. 

2) He's certainly guilty of several other heinous crimes, and should not be free to walk the streets, even if this particular conviction ends up overturned.

3) The process is important -- perhaps even more important when it comes to the guilty than when it comes to the innocent.

Thus, I have problems with the fact that the state continues to oppose DNA testing of evidence, almost universally and uniformly.  The job of the prosecution is not to get convictions, but to ensure that justice is done.  That means examining all of the evidence.   Test the evidence.  I doubt it will make any difference.  I also strongly doubt that it will be exculpatory to a level that would raise reasonable doubt to justify overturning his conviction.  But evidence should be tested.  The process requires knowledge of knowable facts.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

2) He's certainly guilty of several other heinous crimes, and should not be free to walk the streets, even if this particular conviction ends up overturned.

3) The process is important -- perhaps even more important when it comes to the guilty than when it comes to the innocent.

Thus, I have problems with the fact that the state continues to oppose DNA testing of evidence, almost universally and uniformly.  The job of the prosecution is not to get convictions, but to ensure that justice is done.  That means examining all of the evidence.   Test the evidence.  I doubt it will make any difference.  I also strongly doubt that it will be exculpatory to a level that would raise reasonable doubt to justify overturning his conviction.  But evidence should be tested.  The process requires knowledge of knowable facts.

This.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't see the point in testing the murder weapon (the belt).  First, it has been repeatedly handled before and during the trial by staff, witnesses and attorneys.  And there was nothing wrong with that happening in 1996.  They did not have the technology to do the DNA touch testing that can be done today.  

Ive had past dealings with parties involvrd here and followed this case.
I have no doubts Reed is a guilty fuck and should be put to death via the most vile way possible.
Ill toast to his execution, fuck him.
And fuck the innocence project (whom Ive felt does great work, just not in this case). Fuck his lying ass family hiding behind god lying to get their rapist murdering kin off death row.
So if the innocence project is dead set Fennel murdered Stites, testing her belt and finding Fennels DNA on it would prove nothing. He was her fiancé, they lived together and would not be out of the ordinary for Fennels dna to be there. So what exactly do they want?? Throw shit against the wall and see what sticks? Thats what.
The DP was made for this type of evil monster.

Bye bye Rodney you rapist murdering pos. I wonder what youll be thinking about walking to the death chamber?

• Like 7

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

I don't see the point in testing the murder weapon (the belt).  First, it has been repeatedly handled before and during the trial by staff, witnesses and attorneys.  And there was nothing wrong with that happening in 1996.  They did not have the technology to do the DNA touch testing that can be done today.  

I understand that.  But as technology advances, and there MAY be excuplatory evidence, we should look at it.  If it's adulterated by folks who are surely in the likely chain of custody and examination, so be it.  But if it finds the DNA of the alternate suspect, I'm interested in hearing about that.  It's unlikely, I agree.  Then we shouldn't be concerned about testing it.

• Like 1

It seems like Reed's side wants to test the DNA on the belt because they know it is highly likely that the boyfriend's DNA is on it.  To them that would put enough reasonable doubt in the case.  That seems stupid though.  Common logic says that the boyfriends DNA is on the belt because they lived together and were dating.  My DNA is on everything my wife has.  Any couple who lives together is the same way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I understand that.  But as technology advances, and there MAY be excuplatory evidence, we should look at it.  If it's adulterated by folks who are surely in the likely chain of custody and examination, so be it.  But if it finds the DNA of the alternate suspect, I'm interested in hearing about that.  It's unlikely, I agree.  Then we shouldn't be concerned about testing it.

test away for sure. And if found guilty the State can do what it needs to do. 

But I do ask this, as technology continues to advance at what point is there a cut off in testing? 

1 minute ago, txhorns said:

It seems like Reed's side wants to test the DNA on the belt because they know it is highly likely that the boyfriend's DNA is on it.  To them that would put enough reasonable doubt in the case.  That seems stupid though.  Common logic says that the boyfriends DNA is on the belt because they lived together and were dating.  My DNA is on everything my wife has.  Any couple who lives together is the same way.

I think they are hoping for some random persons DNA on the belt.  The belt could have been touched by some random policeman or attorney that the police won’t know about and therefore excluded.  

50 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Ive had past dealings with parties involvrd here and followed this case.
I have no doubts Reed is a guilty fuck and should be put to death via the most vile way possible.
Ill toast to his execution, fuck him.
And fuck the innocence project (whom Ive felt does great work, just not in this case). Fuck his lying ass family hiding behind god lying to get their rapist murdering kin off death row.
So if the innocence project is dead set Fennel murdered Stites, testing her belt and finding Fennels DNA on it would prove nothing. He was her fiancé, they lived together and would not be out of the ordinary for Fennels dna to be there. So what exactly do they want?? Throw shit against the wall and see what sticks? Thats what.
The DP was made for this type of evil monster.

Bye bye Rodney you rapist murdering pos. I wonder what youll be thinking about walking to the death chamber?

Screen_Shot_2016-04-20_at_4.22.55_PM.0.0

47 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

test away for sure. And if found guilty the State can do what it needs to do. 

But I do ask this, as technology continues to advance at what point is there a cut off in testing? 

never. at least until the state murders the inmate found guilty.

but i'm obviously against the death penalty.

Reed has 4 pending sexual assault charges sitting there in Bastrop.  Including the aggravated sexual assault of the badly beaten 12 year old who had Reed's semen in her anus and vagina.  My understanding is that they will not try these cases since he is on death row -- no benefit since he is about to die and no need to put the victims through a trial.  But it is also my understanding these indictments toll any statute of limitations

Bastrop County Judicial Records Search

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Reed has 4 pending sexual assault charges sitting there in Bastrop.  Including the aggravated sexual assault of the badly beaten 12 year old who had Reed's semen in her anus and vagina.  My understanding is that they will not try these cases since he is on death row -- no benefit since he is about to die and no need to put the victims through a trial.  But it is also my understanding these indictments toll any statute of limitations

Bastrop County Judicial Records Search

It is entirely possible there are two rapists in this case, but there is only one murderer and that person isn't Reed imo.

4 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

It is entirely possible there are two rapists in this case, but there is only one murderer and that person isn't Reed imo.

Just out of curiosity, what part of the evidence submitted to the courts and quoted by Johnny Sack isn't compelling enough to prove Reed guilty?

6 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Really?

the med examiner concluded she was being sexually assaulted while being raped.  Reed’s DNA was on her panties that were pulled down below her hips, inside her anus, inside her vagina, and on saliva on her breast.  As well as a back brace found in the truck.  

How does all that happen on Tuesday morning if Reed’s story that they had sex Sunday is true?

who was raping her?  Where is that DNA?   

• Like 1

Easy. Cop finds her right after her affair ends, takes her home, uses the belt to control her while he holds her head underwater. Drops her body a day later with all evidence still intact.

Just look at what interdependent ME's have to say about the original ME's findings. I just dont buy it and the fact that some very key evidence was just ignored? Why not leave no stone unturned? 

4 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Easy. Cop finds her right after her affair ends, takes her home, uses the belt to control her while he holds her head underwater. Drops her body a day later with all evidence still intact.

Just look at what interdependent ME's have to say about the original ME's findings. I just dont buy it and the fact that some very key evidence was just ignored? Why not leave no stone unturned? 

You and I have a different definition of easy.  

• Like 1

Anytime a cop is involved and there is any evidence they could have committed a crime, especially one that was found guilty of rape shortly after, I am 100% biased.  A cop in early 90's Bastrop could most certainly make that chain of events happen to a spouse cheating on him.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Anytime a cop is involved and there is any evidence they could have committed a crime, especially one that was found guilty of rape shortly after, I am 100% biased.  A cop in early 90's Bastrop could most certainly make that chain of events happen to a spouse cheating on him.

I don’t consider 11 years shortly after.  

52 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Except she was at work and then hung out with her mom until 8:00 pm or so the night before she died.  

So she bangs Rodney on or before Sunday, has his semen on her panties and pants (guess she's wearing her work uniform on Sunday during this encounter), gets his saliva on her breasts, and he comes in contact with her back brace found in the fiance's truck.  She then skips a shower and goes into work in these soiled clothes, comes home, changes clothes (but still no shower!!) and hangs out with her mom and later fiance in the company of her mom.  They leave happily at 8:00 pm, but fiance finds out about the affair, murders her, despite mom living right below them and not hearing a thing.  Then, he decides to dress her up in her work uniform and her panties soiled from two days ago, drives 30 minutes or so along her work route, dumps her body, then dumps the truck around 5:30 am, close to where the dude she's been secretly banging lives, walks back to 20-30 miles to giddings, so he can be seen by the mom around 6:45 am.  All of this is a plan to, I guess, frame the guy she's been banging, on the off chance they will randomly test his DNA 7 months later, which they just happen to have on file from another case.

Easy.  Makes perfect sense.  

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Except she was at work and then hung out with her mom until 8:00 pm or so the night before she died.  

So she bangs Rodney on or before Sunday, has his semen on her panties and pants (guess she's wearing her work uniform on Sunday during this encounter), gets his saliva on her breasts, and he comes in contact with her back brace found in the fiance's truck.  She then skips a shower and goes into work in these soiled clothes, comes home, changes clothes (but still no shower!!) and hangs out with her mom and later fiance in the company of her mom.  They leave happily at 8:00 pm, but fiance finds out about the affair, murders her, despite mom living right below them and not hearing a thing.  Then, he decides to dress her up in her work uniform and her panties soiled from two days ago, drives 30 minutes or so along her work route, dumps her body, then dumps the truck around 5:30 am, close to where the dude she's been secretly banging lives, walks back to 20-30 miles to giddings, so he can be seen by the mom around 6:45 am.  All of this is a plan to, I guess, frame the guy she's been banging, on the off chance they will randomly test his DNA 7 months later, which they just happen to have on file from another case.

Easy.  Makes perfect sense.  

They’d never expect that!

33 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Tell me what other experts say about the time of death and cause. What I stated above is 100% plausible. 

Only one of Reed's new ME's testified in court subject to cross examination.  He opined she was dead before midnight based upon visual lividity patterns from low-resolution crime scene photos/video.  Under cross, he admitted he was not present at the autopsy and that there was no formal measure of lividity, rigor, or body temperature taken for Stites, that no vitreous fluid was removed from her, and that no ambient temperature, light intensity, humidity, or topography were recorded at the crime scene. He also agreed with the statement from a well known pathology textbook that pinpoint accuracy in determining time of death is not really possible.   

So basically, a nothing burger.  

The news coverage on this could set criminal justice reform back a long way.  This is not an innocent man.  Lets say stars align and his flimsy story works; there’s about a >99.9% he gets the hook on at least one of his 5 or so pending charges.  

I get the anti DP crowd but I don’t get spending so much goodwill on a clear predictor (12 yo w DNA that he cant claim a “relationship” with). 

do any of these tweeters even look at more than 1 data point or just trust all the blue checks are right?  

The news coverage on this could set criminal justice reform back a long way.  This is not an innocent man.  Lets say stars align and his flimsy story works; there’s about a >99.9% he gets the hook on at least one of his 5 or so pending charges.  

I get the anti DP crowd but I don’t get spending so much goodwill on a clear predictor (12 yo w DNA that he cant claim a “relationship” with). 

do any of these tweeters even look at more than 1 data point or just trust all the blue checks are right?  

There’s a much bigger problem underneath it: we don’t trust our justice system, and we ESPECIALLY don’t trust the police.
When the alternate suspect is a cop who’s a proven criminal...who likely had his fellow officers covering for him for a long time on his other crimes and misconduct...then everything connected to him and that PD stinks.
This phenomenon is what happens when law enforcement isn’t trustworthy. That’s something that I damned well wish cops would get through their heads. If we don’t trust you about one case, we won’t trust you about ANY case. So, don’t burn the public’s trust.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

There’s a much bigger problem underneath it: we don’t trust our justice system, and we ESPECIALLY don’t trust the police.
When the alternate suspect is a cop who’s a proven criminal...who likely had his fellow officers covering for him for a long time on his other crimes and misconduct...then everything connected to him and that PD stinks.
This phenomenon is what happens when law enforcement isn’t trustworthy. That’s something that I damned well wish cops would get through their heads. If we don’t trust you about one case, we won’t trust you about ANY case. So, don’t burn the public’s trust.

DNA and a 12 yr old.  Sorry but I’m not protesting anything bad that happens to this dude.  This could make a lot of SJW’s look really bad and in essence hurt their credibility for making change.  

regarding your comment: I agree completely that our whole justice system needs an overhaul, I started the wishlist thread on the old site, my response here is that so many people jumping to a clear predators defense might ultimately keep us in the status quo longer. 

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said: