Rodney Reed denied DNA testing

PilotsError

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

A.  I am a CPA.  And yes, it is easy.

B.  There is no longer an apprentice CPA.  You have to have the equivalent of a master's degree to even sit the exam.  :D

One of the worst parts of most bar exams is that they extend over two or three days.  That's a beating.  Last time I checked, the CPA was five days (and don't you have to sit all five the first go-round?).

We often joked during Bar-Bri (the standard bar review), "wtf have we been doing the last three years?"  But already having had the material is a big help, I think.  And big chunks of most bar exams are essays.  There's a talent/skill to that that gets honed during three years of it that I don't think can be duplicated in any "apprenticeship" or bar review.

2 hours ago, DanRydell said:

What women aren't being believed? By whom?

They're not being disbelieved, perhaps, but they are clearly being ignored by the media and left-leaning advocates for political purposes. I would bet the vast majority of those reading recent press coverage of this case have no idea of his past behavior and his past use of a "secret affair" defense.   An unbiased media has a duty to inform readers of these facts.  That's critical, because this is not just about separating the crime for which he was convicted from his past acts. His past acts speak directly to the plausibility of his defense in this case.  And so many in the press are quick to point out that Fennel was convicted of sexual assault, lending credence to the idea that he was the real culprit in this case, but are totally silent about Reed's past acts and claims, which completely undermine his own credibility.  It's a total sham.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

They're not being disbelieved, perhaps, but they are clearly being ignored by the media and left-leaning advocates for political purposes. I would bet the vast majority of those reading recent press coverage of this case have no idea of his past behavior and his past use of a "secret affair" defense.   An unbiased media has a duty to inform readers of these facts.  That's critical, because this is not just about separating the crime for which he was convicted from his past acts. His past acts speak directly to the plausibility of his defense in this case.  And so many in the press are quick to point out that Fennel was convicted of sexual assault, lending credence to the idea that he was the real culprit in this case, but are totally silent about Reed's past acts and claims, which completely undermine his own credibility.  It's a total sham.  

This is probably accurate, especially the "political purposes" part.  I'm sympathetic with the politics of it, but dislike the dishonesty of it.

What political purposes are those? If anything, seeking to stop the execution of someone who, even if innocent of murder, has possibly committed multiple other abhorrent crimes, is harmful to anti-death penalty politics. Someone approaching innocence claims with a political purpose would only stick their neck out for the most egregious cases and for choir boys.

16 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

What political purposes are those? If anything, seeking to stop the execution of someone who, even if innocent of murder, has possibly committed multiple other abhorrent crimes, is harmful to anti-death penalty politics. Someone approaching innocence claims with a political purpose would only stick their neck out for the most egregious cases and for choir boys.

Not if the duped are never told the facts necessary to conclude they are being duped and they don’t really want or care to expend the effort to learn the truth. Basically read this thread. The “omg Texas is going to execute an innocent man!!!” posters that wandered into this thread, outraged by a misleading and one-sided narrative of this case pushed by Reeds defense team, activists, and a sympathetic press, are a proxy for how most casual followers view this case. But unlike these posters, 99% of the public will probably never learn they’ve been duped. Even if the facts are laid out there more clearly for many of them to see it, I’m not sure many will even want to look. 

This case has been great for anti dp activists. 

• Like 6

On 11/15/2019 at 5:55 AM, RollLeft said:

So change the law. 

Among all the states TX has the highest standard, imo.  Right now the standard is beyond a reasonable doubt to three questions whereas most states only have one.

To impose death, the sentencer must determine each of three issues beyond a reasonable doubt. The sentencer must find that the murder was "committed deliberately and with the reasonable expectation that the death . . . would result"; that there is a probability that the defendant would commit criminal acts of violence that would constitute a continuing threat to society; and, if pertinent, whether the killing was "unreasonable in response to the provocation" by the victim.' 

Most states merely...must be made beyond a reasonable doubt, such as finding "aggravating circumstances outweigh mitigating circumstances"

So in this case when you have other women say he raped them and also say they pleaded for their life as to not to be killed that satisfies continuing threat to society, imo.  

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

You don't really take #believewomen in order to justify putting someone to death.  That would be peak SJW.

We just need to stop talking about these unconvicted offenses as some justification for executing him on this conviction.

Stop.  It's wrong.  It's bad.  Just stop it.

No we don't, you're wrong.  It is in fact and in part the very basis for determination of death.  

On 11/16/2019 at 8:59 PM, TwiceHorn said:

One of the worst parts of most bar exams is that they extend over two or three days.  That's a beating.  Last time I checked, the CPA was five days (and don't you have to sit all five the first go-round?).

We often joked during Bar-Bri (the standard bar review), "wtf have we been doing the last three years?"  But already having had the material is a big help, I think.  And big chunks of most bar exams are essays.  There's a talent/skill to that that gets honed during three years of it that I don't think can be duplicated in any "apprenticeship" or bar review.

so when is kim kardashian-west posting her test scores?  my sister works in-house counsel for apple in san jose and I remember her studying for the california bar.  she’s pretty smart and it was tough for her.  so I’d assume that vapid social media whore, who is only famous for getting publicly dicked down by a rapper, has zero chance of passing it but if she does I’ll raise a beer in her honor and be rightly impressed. 

14 hours ago, RollLeft said:

No we don't, you're wrong.  It is in fact and in part the very basis for determination of death.  

From the standpoint of, "well this conviction may be shitty, but he's been indicted for six others, so let's kill him anyway," which is something that has been articulated on this thread, I am not wrong.

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

so when is kim kardashian-west posting her test scores?  my sister works in-house counsel for apple in san jose and I remember her studying for the california bar.  she’s pretty smart and it was tough for her.  so I’d assume that vapid social media whore, who is only famous for getting publicly dicked down by a rapper, has zero chance of passing it but if she does I’ll raise a beer in her honor and be rightly impressed. 

She's gotta do a three year internship before she can even sit for the bar.  She wont make it.

22 hours ago, DanRydell said:

I'm against the death penalty, but I know there is a metric shitton of bullshit out there. My default position is skepticism. 

So my first question on reading about this was "is the DNA exculpatory?". There's lots of DNA out there. Just like there's lots of terrible news media. Turned out it wasn't. They want clicks, not truth. Truth is too hard for the daily news cycle.

The "red pill" or "fake news" thing isn't a left or right thing, it's a truth thing. The media isn't interested in truth, they want clicks. Outrage sells.

Most people want a simple world and easy answers. Just go back and look at page 1. Reality doesn't fit into a simple box that makes everything easy to understand.

• Like 1

To all our lawyer buddies, if KK passes the test and becomes a lawyer (what a fucking dumb rule, seriously), you guys should rise up in protest.  That is just fucking unbelievable.  

A friend in Ca is doing the same thing. Dude has a PhD and masters already. Got accepted to law at Berkeley and Michigan. He ran the roi and this route made more sense for him. Patent law, his boss is his supervisor in the apprenticeship.

If she puts in the work and passes the bar... why is that unbelievable?

Yeah, I don't get the anger. If you put in the work (either law school, or internship if the state permits it) and then pass the bar, what's the problem? A lot of states used to have that law. Only reason many don't is because bar associations and already-licensed lawyers got it changed to reduce competition. 

5 hours ago, YChang said:

A friend in Ca is doing the same thing. Dude has a PhD and masters already. Got accepted to law at Berkeley and Michigan. He ran the roi and this route made more sense for him. Patent law, his boss is his supervisor in the apprenticeship.

For one thing, one can be admitted to the patent bar (with engineering or hard science credentials) without ever being admitted to a state bar to practice general law.  And the test is much easier and covers a more finite bunch of information.  Other than having the scientific background, there's no formal need for an apprenticeship in lieu of law school.

So, he never has to take a state bar, and if he's planning to be a technical patent scrivener (as opposed to a litigator or patent transactional/licensing attorney), there's not much upside to taking/passing a state bar and the requisite three years of law school or apprenticeship.

Kimmy fatass has no such qualifications.  The apprenticeship is not to learn how to write patents, respond to office actions and the ins and outs of 37 CFR.  She has to learn criminal, wills & estates, torts, contracts, family law, juvenile law, evidence, and California statutory law, which is about as byzantine as it comes.  And the Multistate Bar Exam is a multiple choice examination conjured in the pit of hell by Satan and his minions.

Back when the patent bar was written, you heard a lot of bitching about how hard it was and the pass rates were pretty abysmal.  But even then it was only a day and paled in comparison to the Texas Bar Examination as far as required preparation to pass.  I think the pass rates are still pretty bad, but it's all computerized and any dipshit with a BSxE can take it, so you have a low pass rate even though it's easy(er).

For a person who is a proven diligent student with an undergraduate degree with any rigor, a non-academic route to bar admission is plausible.  For a dipshit like Kim K, it's not.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

Your friend with multiple post grad degrees is a bit different than Kim Kardashian.

Have you ever listened to KK?
  • Like 2

For one thing, one can be admitted to the patent bar (with engineering or hard science credentials) without ever being admitted to a state bar to practice general law.  And the test is much easier and covers a more finite bunch of information.  Other than having the scientific background, there's no formal need for an apprenticeship in lieu of law school.
So, he never has to take a state bar, and if he's planning to be a technical patent scrivener (as opposed to a litigator or patent transactional/licensing attorney), there's not much upside to taking/passing a state bar and the requisite three years of law school or apprenticeship.
Kimmy fatass has no such qualifications.  The apprenticeship is not to learn how to write patents, respond to office actions and the ins and outs of 37 CFR.  She has to learn criminal, wills & estates, torts, contracts, family law, juvenile law, evidence, and California statutory law, which is about as byzantine as it comes.  And the Multistate Bar Exam is a multiple choice examination conjured in the pit of hell by Satan and his minions.
Back when the patent bar was written, you heard a lot of bitching about how hard it was and the pass rates were pretty abysmal.  But even then it was only a day and paled in comparison to the Texas Bar Examination as far as required preparation to pass.  I think the pass rates are still pretty bad, but it's all computerized and any dipshit with a BSxE can take it, so you have a low pass rate even though it's easy(er).
For a person who is a proven diligent student with an undergraduate degree with any rigor, a non-academic route to bar admission is plausible.  For a dipshit like Kim K, it's not.
This right here.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Law school was a LOT like high school, except with no inhibitions. Lotta debauchery. Then people grew up. Like most of us.

Fucking bells, lockers, inordinate amounts of gossip and petty jealousy.  Complete reversion from undergrad.

I thought I was getting three more years of undergrad, more or less. I was so wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

When I got into the financial wholesaling business it was similar, although not as condensed.

Wholesalers were mostly men, but some companies seemed to specialize in hiring on Type A smoke shows to pitch their propaganda.  I had never been around females who were so aggressive and dtf in my life.

I met this one from Hartford Life over drinks with a mutual client at the Columns on St. Charles in NOLA.  I was already pretty loose when she showed up and not 3 minutes after being introduced she asks me, "So, you're from Texas?"  I said, "Yes I am", and she replies, "Well, then you'd know the Rodeo Clown Technique then?" 

I shook my head and probably had a wtf look on my face.

She takes a sip of my vodka soda, pulls me by the tie closer to her face, and says in a sugary sweet Louisiana Southern Belle accent, "Well honey, that's where you put it in from behind, call her by the wrong name, and then see if you can hang on for 8 seconds."

The next morning I woke up in her bed at her place in Metairie trying to find my pants and boxers and recall how I got there.  She called me from her morning meeting to tell me that she'd be back in an hour and would give me a play by play.  Turned out my boxers were on her front porch right next to my suit slacks and her blouse.

It was such a bizarre (in a good way) thing to not have to work for it.  The "vibe", as you say, in that circle was similar.  God I miss those days.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I went to law school with plenty of slutty chicks.  Many of them turned into great lawyers.  

Yeah but are any of them worth 350 mil?  I think I could deal with the vocal fry, circus, and elephant ass for 350m.  I think.  At least until she caught me trying to mess with Kourtney and runs me off. 

13 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Honestly curious, what's the equivalent of a master's degree that's not a master's degree?

I guess another about 30 hours?  I think 150 hours of credit is now required to sit for CPA.  So most take a "PPA" degree that can either be an undergrad degree or a BBA with another 30 that some call an MBA, and others call PPA as either the postgrad degree or a five-year undergrad.

The thing about law school that I think is hard to duplicate outside of it, is "teaching you to think like a lawyer."  It's really a thing and I tend to be skeptical of that type of thing.  The socratic dialogs, the essays, they all warp your mind.  I had some very wise people tell me that the whole thought process and academic experience would be very different from my engineering undergrad and to some extent that's obvious, but it was more profound than I expected.**  And since I work closely with engineering and business types, I am reminded pretty frequently how different the thinking is.

**the major differences are twofold, engineers are taught to ignore "noise," or insignificant detail, while law students who magnify the insignificant receive the best grades; also, engineering tends to be more deductive in nature than inductive, particularly in writing.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 11/16/2019 at 7:31 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

A.  I am a CPA.  And yes, it is easy.

B.  There is no longer an apprentice CPA.  You have to have the equivalent of a master's degree to even sit the exam.  :D

You still have to have so many hours of working in accounting to get the CPA, right?  I passed the test the summer after graduation but never was a CPA because I believe it required something like 1,500 hours of practice.

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I guess another about 30 hours?  I think 150 hours of credit is now required to sit for CPA.  So most take a "PPA" degree that can either be an undergrad degree or a BBA with another 30 that some call an MBA, and others call PPA as either the postgrad degree or a five-year undergrad.

The thing about law school that I think is hard to duplicate outside of it, is "teaching you to think like a lawyer."  It's really a thing and I tend to be skeptical of that type of thing.  The socratic dialogs, the essays, they all warp your mind.  I had some very wise people tell me that the whole thought process and academic experience would be very different from my engineering undergrad and to some extent that's obvious, but it was more profound than I expected.**  And since I work closely with engineering and business types, I am reminded pretty frequently how different the thinking is.

**the major differences are twofold, engineers are taught to ignore "noise," or insignificant detail, while law students who magnify the insignificant receive the best grades; also, engineering tends to be more deductive in nature than inductive, particularly in writing.

you basically just described the MPA program from texas. 

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Honestly curious, what's the equivalent of a master's degree that's not a master's degree?

Wife (no pics) was able to sit for the CPA exam with her UT finance undergrad and I think 24 hours of graduate accounting courses at UTD but needed another 2 classes to get her masters in accounting which she got after passing her CPA since that was a priority for her company at the time (for billing purposes).

• 1 year later...

Thread bump.  I have been wanting to review the punishment testimony from Reed's case regarding the 6 other women he allegedly sexually assaulted, one of who he used the "yeah it was consensual" defense after DNA proved he had sex with the victim after initially denying knowing her (same as Stites).  I settled a case yesterday and have done nothing today but read the punishment phase transcripts.  This mother fucker is a major piece of shit and anyone claiming he is innocent and should be freed is an idiot or ignorant.  (Though I certainly respect people who just are against the death penalty and wanted his sentence commuted).  Link to anyone interested.  When he had to submit DNA for the Stites murder the cold case database lit up like a Christmas tree on multiple unsolved rapes.

His victims who testified were Connie York, Angela Weiss, Lucy Gibbs, Vivian Harbottle, Carolyn Rivas and Linda Schleuter.  Weiss and Harbottle could not identify Reed as Weiss, who was 12 when raped, was blindfolded.  And Harbottle was drunk when raped.  Both of them did report rape immediately and had rape kits done.  They were cold cases solved when Reed's DNA was put into the database.

https://lobrien09141964.wixsite.com/rodneyreedisguilty/punishment

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Thread bump.  I have been wanting to review the punishment testimony from Reed's case regarding the 6 other women he allegedly sexually assaulted, one of who he used the "yeah it was consensual" defense after DNA proved he had sex with the victim after initially denying knowing her (same as Stites).  I settled a case yesterday and have done nothing today but read the punishment phase transcripts.  This mother fucker is a major piece of shit and anyone claiming he is innocent and should be freed is an idiot or ignorant.  (Though I certainly respect people who just are against the death penalty and wanted his sentence commuted).  Link to anyone interested.  When he had to submit DNA for the Stites murder the cold case database lit up like a Christmas tree on multiple unsolved rapes.
His victims who testified were Connie York, Angela Weiss, Lucy Gibbs, Vivian Harbottle, Carolyn Rivas and Linda Schleuter.  Weiss and Harbottle could not identify Reed as Weiss, who was 12 when raped, was blindfolded.  And Harbottle was drunk when raped.  Both of them did report rape immediately and had rape kits done.  They were cold cases solved when Reed's DNA was put into the database.
https://lobrien09141964.wixsite.com/rodneyreedisguilty/punishment

I’ve been saying that for years, on this board and the last. He’s guilty as fuck. His defense is preposterous and his supporters are useful idiots.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1