2018 Pro Cycling: Team Sky Goes Postal, the Chris Froome Saga (Plus TdF)

G650

57 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

What did USPS lose on the deal? Yes ,titles were erased, but the pub they got at the time was worth it. 

THIS!!

Year-after-year, the USA, Europe, Colombia, and a few former colonies of the British Empire would talk about the USPS BLUE TRAIN.

To get that kind of brand awareness would have cost $500M or more.

USPS got a bargain by sponsoring the best chemical brother's in the bidniz.

On 5/13/2018 at 11:57 AM, G650 said:

Froome looks terri-bad. I almost feel sorry for him. Almost.

I am amped on Pinot more than anything, he is as aggressive as I've ever seen him.

Froome clearly thought he couldn't come in 100% on form and hold it for both the Giro and Tour. Looks like he may have underestimated the field. Or he's off the salbutemol. 

Happy for Yates, but there's a lot of racing. Pinot is a head case - let's see if he can hold it together for three weeks. He's been close before. . . 

Don't know what Chaves has, but it sure looks more than just allergies - he was wickedly spit off the back on that final climb. Froome was pedaling squares. 

Plucky win by Yates - very patient in reeling back the attack. Can he maintain enough distance with his rivals over the weekend leading up to the TT?

9 hours ago, Txzen said:

Don't know what Chaves has, but it sure looks more than just allergies - he was wickedly spit off the back on that final climb. Froome was pedaling squares. 

Plucky win by Yates - very patient in reeling back the attack. Can he maintain enough distance with his rivals over the weekend leading up to the TT?

29 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

We'll see at Zoncolan if Dumoulin can stay within eyesight

Yeah, the mountains are gonna tell the tale. I think Tom gets +2 mins in the TT, but can he hold within a minute on Zoncolan or Finestre?

1 hour ago, Txzen said:

He had his jour sans, but I think the profile of that last climb definitely favored someone like Tom who prefers to grind it out. Next two days will be epic - what a great race!

Does "jour sans" mean "Day Without EPO"?

Wow. It's really unfortunate this comes in the middle of his salbutemol controversy, because frankly this is an amazing day in cycling. The bad is that, as mentioned, we've seen some historic days like this before. I am no fan of Froome or Sky, but I would argue this is nothing like the day Landis popped in a fresh bag of packed platelet/testosterone stew and stormed away. Other than Yates, who was already clearly fading at week 3, there has been no one who has been performing well. Dumoulin is doing a heck of a job to hang on to second, particularly given the much nastier climbs today (and tomorrow). 

The Giro is like this, though, with a totally different terrain and group of riders than we see in the Tour. This is not the first time - at all - that someone who looked like they were suffering in week 1 came back in week 3 to win it all. Frankly, it's what makes the Giro in many ways a far, far more exciting and interesting race compared to Le Tour. 

It's just shame it was Froome. . . 

23 minutes ago, Txzen said:

Wow. It's really unfortunate this comes in the middle of his salbutemol controversy, because frankly this is an amazing day in cycling. The bad is that, as mentioned, we've seen some historic days like this before. I am no fan of Froome or Sky, but I would argue this is nothing like the day Landis popped in a fresh bag of packed platelet/testosterone stew and stormed away. Other than Yates, who was already clearly fading at week 3, there has been no one who has been performing well. Dumoulin is doing a heck of a job to hang on to second, particularly given the much nastier climbs today (and tomorrow). 

The Giro is like this, though, with a totally different terrain and group of riders than we see in the Tour. This is not the first time - at all - that someone who looked like they were suffering in week 1 came back in week 3 to win it all. Frankly, it's what makes the Giro in many ways a far, far more exciting and interesting race compared to Le Tour. 

It's just shame it was Froome. . . 

GTFO with that reason and logic shit. 

Seriously though, the issue with you argument is Froome hasn't steadily been getting better. In fact he got worse and now had bounced back. I would not be remotely surprised if he did whatever the modern equivalent of blood bagging it is.

The Giro is where it's at though. I like the Tour for the aesthetics and history, but the Giro brings it when it comes to the actual racing.

Plus, if you ride through Sestriere wearing 181, you are doping. It is known.

Edited by G650

Unfortunately these Scott boys always come up short.  Maybe Yates will have one of these vinokourov style turnarounds.  

Otherwise, rooting for dumoulin to keep plugging away...maybe froome will crash on his inhaler

Meh - I don't see how Froome 'got worse'. He started bad, and the worst stage he had was stage 9 in losing time to Yates. Other than that, he was always in the first or second group and within a short time from the leaders/winner.

I don't see how anyone would be surprised that even an 80% form Froome would be able to ride those guys off his wheel - particularly since in this case 'those guys' are Pinot, Doumoulin and Carapaz.

57 minutes ago, Txzen said:

Meh - I don't see how Froome 'got worse'. He started bad, and the worst stage he had was stage 9 in losing time to Yates. Other than that, he was always in the first or second group and within a short time from the leaders/winner.

I don't see how anyone would be surprised that even an 80% form Froome would be able to ride those guys off his wheel - particularly since in this case 'those guys' are Pinot, Doumoulin and Carapaz.

He was objectively worse in the second week. Very middling in the first week, with a crash. Obviously figure stage wins were all he could take from this race so buried himself on the Zoncolan, then the next day was so awful he couldn't even maintain the second group. Not really anything else to take from it.

I mean, I'm always surprised how good Sky is at getting the drug use through. Chris Froome is an extremely mediocre talent, who got doped to the gills. Anyone who doesn't know that is willfully ignorant, like the Lance fans from back when. The difference is Lance was already one of the best talents in the world before the drugs, whereas Froome was a nonentity.