Get busy livin or get busy dying...

ScottishHorn

Just caught the end.  I've seen Shawshank too many times to count.  It never gets old.  However, one thing has always bothered me and perhaps it is explained better in the book..how the hell does Red find the small box left for him by Andy?  He is given a short description of the area and Red buys a compass but I could have never found that thing.  I get it's a movie and all but just need to suspend disbelief for a bit I guess.

As a huge King fan, it has always struck me that most of the movies prior to Shawshank, and Stand By Me before it, were not terribly faithful to the underlying books, despite King's frequent involvement.  The screenplays for 'Shank, Stand By Me, and The Green Mile were almost verbatim from the books.

• Like 1

Red's narration of them taring the roof was one of my favorite scenes and Andy getting them all beers was one of my favorite scenes.  It's just perfect. 

“...and that's how it came to pass, that on the second-to-last day of the job, the convict crew that tarred the plate factory roof in the spring of '49 wound up sitting in a row at ten o'clock in the morning, drinking icy cold Bohemia-style beer, courtesy of the hardest screw that ever walked a turn at Shawshank State Prison. The colossal prick even managed to sound magnanimous. We sat and drank with the sun on our shoulders and felt like free men. Hell, we could have been tarring the roof of one of our own houses. We were the Lords of all Creation.

As for Andy, he spent that break hunkered in the shade, a strange little smile on his face, watching us drink his beer...You could argue he'd done it to curry favor with the guards, or maybe make a few friends among us cons. Me? I think he did it just to feel normal again, if only for a short while.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

On 7/5/2018 at 5:56 PM, McCroskey said:

“...and that's how it came to pass, that on the second-to-last day of the job, the convict crew that tarred the plate factory roof in the spring of '49 wound up sitting in a row at ten o'clock in the morning, drinking icy cold Bohemia-style beer, courtesy of the hardest screw that ever walked a turn at Shawshank State Prison. The colossal prick even managed to sound magnanimous. We sat and drank with the sun on our shoulders and felt like free men. Hell, we could have been tarring the roof of one of our own houses. We were the Lords of all Creation.

As for Andy, he spent that break hunkered in the shade, a strange little smile on his face, watching us drink his beer...You could argue he'd done it to curry favor with the guards, or maybe make a few friends among us cons. Me? I think he did it just to feel normal again, if only for a short while.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titty sprinkles.

• Like 1

I believe in two things: discipline and the Bible. Here you'll receive both. Put your trust in the Lord; your ass belongs to me. Welcome to Shawshank.

“Perhaps it's time you tried a new profession.”

“Huh? 

What I mean is, you don't seem to be a very good thief; maybe you should try something else.”

Yeah, well, what the hell you know about it, Capone? What are you in for? 

Me? My lawyer fucked me. Everybody's innocent in here. Don't you know that?”

Edited by Dutch

That beach at the end of the movie is Sandy Point National Wildlife Refuge on St. Croix in the USVI.  Just a stone's throw from Zihuatanejo. And that boat was all kinds of fucked up.  With all the scratch he pinched he shoulda just bought one.  That thing would take another 19 years to make right.

Edited by Sbbruin

Here's the part that bugs me:  "Five hundred yards.  That's the length of five football fields. Just shy of half a mile."

500 yards = 1500 feet =  0.284 miles.  Just over a quarter mile, not nearly a half mile.  If he had included the endzones (then it would be six hundred, not five hundred yards, btw) it would be up to 0.34 miles.  A solid third.  

Shawshank was in Maine, so I could supposed there is Canadian football field influence.  If you use those fields, endzones included, you get up to 2,250 feet which is .43 miles, which could be described as just shy of half a mile.  But, Red said "five hundred yards", so he done f'd up.

But, it's a great movie.

Edited by TrashMaster G

I'm a fan, Thomas Newman score a big part of it.  The ol' Newman clan could write that there music.

The finding the tree wasn't a big deal to me.  What I found curious was that when Red finally walked up to Andy on the beach, all Andy had was a sand block or paper or whatever.  No other tools, no carriers, no rulers, nothin'.  Just sandpapering a boat on the edge of the water.

I don't think he's going to get that tourism project going at that rate before they both croak.

On 6/30/2018 at 10:49 PM, TwiceHorn said:

As a huge King fan, it has always struck me that most of the movies prior to Shawshank, and Stand By Me before it, were not terribly faithful to the underlying books, despite King's frequent involvement.  The screenplays for 'Shank, Stand By Me, and The Green Mile were almost verbatim from the books.

Something else stands out about those books.

On 6/30/2018 at 10:49 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Just the opposite for me. Shawshank is awesome and I'm not really a huge fan of King's writing or most of the movies made from it. I'm glad Shawshank came out exactly as it did, about as close to a perfect movie as it can possibly get.

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

RED: I know what you think it means, sonny. To me, it's just a made-up word. A politician's word, so that young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie and post shit on message boards.

Wow, Red was so wise he could see the future of the internet.

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, Sonofjorel76 said:

Caught it in the theatre tonight for the 25th anniversary. I’ve watched Shawshank at least 25 times, and tonight was just as good as the first. It was also very cool sitting between two people who had never seen it.

JFC. 

If I had to watch it a second time I'd kill myself.