Tell me about ou

Texas007

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On the Ryen Russilo podcast this week, he had guys on to tell recruiting stories from back in the day.

Matt Leinart says that his dinner with USC was at a 5 star restaurant.  But on his trip to OU, they go to Applebee's.  He called his mom to make fun of it.  He decided Norman wasn't for him.

Also he got so drunk on his Michigan trip that he passed out in the bar.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:58 PM, kopp0e said:

What the Buck.?! Trey Sermon has flipped to Ohio State:

Wow, my two least favorite fanbases.  Well, another generation of Sermons will never learn to read...what else is new?  Fuck him.  

• 3 weeks later...

What will it take to beat OU ?

"So what’s it going to take? It’s going to take a continued effort to recruit elite talent and to develop that talent and then hopefully one of these days they’ll stop having first- and second-round draft picks at quarterback,"

Good luck with that one.  They have Rattler and then Williams  in the fold.

Edited by Glenn Quagmire Pilot

22h

A man of the people   @GabeIkard
Quote Tweet
m5LhJ9S4_normal.jpg
Toby Rowland    @TRowOU
· May 22
Breaking News: @GabeIkard admits to changing his pants at halftime and in the middle of practices at OU and in the NFL in order to provide dry footballs for his QBs. @TomBrady #HeavySweater

On 5/19/2020 at 2:48 PM, LetYourNutsHang said:

Who cares about conference championships in the long run? Only national championships are remembered. And we have the most recent. 

Well, in the current climate, the big 12 champ is the only big 12 team with a chance to get in to the playoff, which is the only way to win a national title. So until texas cares about winning the big 12, they'll never win another natty.

Wonder if this heats up again??

Students at the University of Oklahoma are working to remove the school’s “Boomer” and “Sooner” nicknames out of concern that the words are offensive to Native Americans.

According to the OU Daily, the Undergraduate Student Congress met Nov. 12 to mandate a name change for the “Sooner Freshman Council”, citing the words “boomer” and “sooner” as offensive to the Native American community.

https://www.campusreform.org/index.cfm?ID=14011

Also don't forget...

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder if this heats up again??

Students at the University of Oklahoma are working to remove the school’s “Boomer” and “Sooner” nicknames out of concern that the words are offensive to Native Americans.

According to the OU Daily, the Undergraduate Student Congress met Nov. 12 to mandate a name change for the “Sooner Freshman Council”, citing the words “boomer” and “sooner” as offensive to the Native American community.

https://www.campusreform.org/index.cfm?ID=14011

Also don't forget...

They should use any excuse to ditch dude.

As a Sooner fan, if the school wants to ditch the nickname too, fine. Make it the Oklahoma Crimson and lets move on.

Yeah they are going to cancel the State Fair because of Corona Virus and then we are going to move the game into an indoor facility...unlikely.

If they cancel the Fair but play the game anyway it will probably just be the teams and their parents in the Cotton Bowl or something.

On 6/18/2020 at 9:41 AM, Valmy77 said:

Yeah they are going to cancel the State Fair because of Corona Virus and then we are going to move the game into an indoor facility...unlikely.

If they cancel the Fair but play the game anyway it will probably just be the teams and their parents in the Cotton Bowl or something.

Attendance for the game will look like the Heart of Dallas Bowl. *See Utah vs West Virginia from a few years ago

https://247sports.com/Article/Oklahoma-governor-Kevin-Stitt-takes-shot-at-Texas-Longhorns-calling-them-shorthorns-in-COVID-19-press-conference-148699344/

Oklahoma governor takes shot at Longhorns

Gov:  “It may take some getting used to, but it’s a small price to pay to be able to keep our businesses open, our economy running, and to be able to watch OU and OSU stick it to the shorthorns on the football field in the fall,” Stitt said during a press conference Tuesday.

35 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Oklahoma: The Sooners announced that due to COVID, employees earning a salary of $1 million per year or more are subject to a 10% salary reduction this year. Head coach Lincoln Riley made $6 million last season and the 2019 USA Today salary database lists DC Alex Grinch ($1.4 million) as the only other Sooners assistant that salary reduction would apply to.

giphy.gif

(Bet some Boosters make up the salary loss for Grinch, and possibly even for Blinkin'... maybe some car dealership commercials... 😁)

Edited by LTtxfan

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29405786/oklahoma-coach-lincoln-riley-prefers-fall-spring-football-very-doable

Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley prefers fall, but spring football 'very doable'

Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley said on Friday that while he's still hopeful for a fall season, spring football is "very doable.".   As COVID-19 cases have surged in Oklahoma and across the South, Riley said it's important that all options are considered.

"I think the people who say it's not [an option], in my opinion, just don't want to think about it," Riley said on a Zoom call with reporters. "I just think it would be wrong of us to take any potential option off the table right now. I think it'd be very difficult to say the spring is not a potential option. I, for one, think it's very doable."

Riley emphasized that he thinks the current schedule can still work, including the Sept. 5 season opener against Missouri State.    "I hope like hell we can play in the fall and do it as close as how we've always done it before," Riley said. "If we can do that, I'm all for it, if that's the best option. But we've seen, at least right now, that the hot weather doesn't affect this [virus] very much, which we kind of hoped it would."

A spring schedule would mean shortening the season, more than likely, along with adjusting summer schedules and possibly working with the NFL to move the draft dates.  "It'd probably be a conference season and postseason only," Riley said. "We've seen often teams go in and play well into January in the College Football Playoff and start spring practice at some point in February, and nobody says a word about that. You'd have to give players plenty of time off to get their bodies back in the summer. Maybe a little later start back the next fall."

One reason for a possible change is national medical leaders raising the possibility of a coronavirus vaccine by the end of this year or early next year.  "There have been positive things in terms of some of the treatments they're starting to develop that obviously would have would have an impact on players, staff, fans, everybody," Riley said.   He said he knew the Sooners would have positive coronavirus tests before the players began workouts Wednesday. Fourteen Oklahoma football players tested positive, along with two of the 72 staff members who were tested, the school said.   "We're kind of a microcosm of the whole country right now," Riley said. "We certainly weren't expecting zero."

Riley was one of six staffers who earn $1 million or more who was asked to take a 10% pay reduction as athletic director Joe Castiglione implemented budget cuts of approximately $13.7 million. The coach said it wasn't a hard decision.

"Joe stopped by the house and told me what he was thinking," Riley said. "It took me about 2½ seconds, and I said I was good with it. We're all having to adjust. It's all unprecedented, and we've all got to do our part. I didn't see any reason why I should be any different."

For now, Riley said he's focused on keeping his players safe and trying to figure out the next phase of workouts.   "At some point, you do have to practice football, and it's tough to do that without two people close to each other," he said. "It's hard to go to the next step until you've done the one before it. I would think we want to take our time and see how it plays out."

Ah, the NFL already has said no to moving the Draft... 

Edited by LTtxfan

Ruffin McNeill joins ACC staff

By Doug Samuels -      July 7, 2020

Former ECU head coach Ruffin McNeill has joined Dave Doeren’s staff at NC State.

The school announced his role as a special assistant to the head coach and shares that McNeill will serve as an advisor to Doeren and lead special projects and provide player development analysis.  McNeill, the former ECU head coach, spent the past few seasons on the Oklahoma staff under Lincoln Riley, first as assistant head coach / defensive tackles coach before being promoted to interim defensive coordinator partway through the 2018 season. McNeill spent the 2019 season with the Sooners coaching the outside linebackers.

McNeill announced back in January that he was leaving the Oklahoma staff to help his family as his father, who is dealing with some health issues. At the time, he was clear to note that the move was not a retirement for him and that he still desired to coach in some capacity. This reunion with longtime friend Dave Doeren will allow him the opportunity to do that in a unique capacity.

Via the school’s release.

“I’ve known Ruffin since the beginning of my coaching career,” Doeren said. “Not only is he one of my closest friends in the profession, but he’s been a mentor to me since I was 24 years old. We’ve crossed paths on the recruiting trail many times over the past 22 years and have been friends and competitors. Having a former head coach on our staff who I can trust and have known for almost my entire career is a huge benefit for me personally, as well as for our entire program."

Report: Oklahoma eyes playing football opener vs. Missouri State a week early

By Joe Buettner | 11 hrs ago  

Oklahoma is reportedly trying to modify its 2020 football schedule.  The Oklahoman's Berry Tramel reports OU is seeking an NCAA waiver to play FCS Missouri State on Aug. 29, as opposed to their originally planned Sept. 5 meeting in Norman.  Missouri State is seemingly on board with the change, according to The Oklahoman.

OU's reported proposal strays from other major choices made across college football this week. The Ivy League nixed all fall sports on Wednesday, the Big Ten then canceled nonconference football games the next day, and the Pac-12 and ACC are reportedly looking to do the same as the Big Ten soon.

The timeline for OU to prepare for its 2020 season obviously shortens if the NCAA granted a waiver that allowed it to play Missouri State a week early. The benefit to OU is an added bye week between its first and second games.

The team is already scheduled off for Week 3 of the season and bye weeks between each of its nonconference games figures to benefit OU's COVID-19 screenings and safety measures.

You can visit The Oklahoman for the rest of the report; a subscription might be required.

https://www.normantranscript.com/sports/report-oklahoma-eyes-playing-football-opener-vs-missouri-state-a-week-early/article_b5055e5e-c2ac-11ea-8a23-5b800b1c109e.html

Edited by LTtxfan