Tell me about ou

Texas007

Venables keeping their OL coach, bringing back old S&C coach, and keeping their QB Gabriel healthy will result in at least 9-10 wins in 2022 

Oklahoma Sooners Schedule 2022

DATE OPPONENT      
Sat, 9/3
vsUTEPUTEP

Sat, 9/10
vsKENTKENT

Sat, 9/17
@NEBNEB

Sat, 9/24
vsKSUKSU

Sat, 10/1
@TCUTCU

Sat, 10/8
vsTEXTEX *

Sat, 10/15
vsKUKU

Thu, 10/27
@ISUISU

Sat, 11/5
vsBAYBAY

Sat, 11/12
@WVUWVU

Sat, 11/19
vsOKSTOKST

Sat, 11/26
@TTUTTU

* Game played at neutral location
  • Like 1

blOU is CBS Sports Dennis Dodd favorite to win the B12

CBS Sports Slots Oklahoma No. 4 In Post-Spring Rankings

The Sooners land just behind Alabama, Ohio State and Georgia among the top teams in the country after the conclusion of spring football.

JOSH CALLAWAY    18 HOURS AGO

Spring football is officially in the rearview mirror with the calendar shifting to May and the focus turning to the summer ahead of the 2022 college football season.

While the first games that actually count are still roughly four months away, the picture for what teams will look like next season is starting to become a little bit more clear - albeit with more transfer portal movement still to come before fall camp rolls around in August.

With that, CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd has compiled the top-25 for how things are shaping up as of right now - with Oklahoma near the top at No. 4 despite the coaching and roster turnover this offseason.

“The pick here is Oklahoma at No. 4 ... for now,” Dodd wrote. “Brent Venables has never been a head coach, but Lincoln Riley left quite a cupboard.”

The Sooners land just behind Alabama, Ohio State and Georgia who reside in spots 1-3, respectively.

“It's hard to pick the Sooners to win the Big 12 when they didn't in Lincoln Riley's last season and now have Brent Venables as a rookie head coach,” Dodd wrote. “That's not to disparage what was just about a perfect hire by athletic director Joe Castiglione. The OU defense will be better because it can't help but be under Venables. But these are transition years with one foot in the SEC and another trying to kick Big 12 butts. UCF transfer Dillon Gabriel gives Venables a plug-and-play quarterback. The running back position is deep.”

On 4/12/2022 at 5:08 PM, LTtxfan said:

Article on OL transfer from Cal

Oklahoma OG McKade Mettauer Needed 'About 10 Minutes' to Decide to Transfer to OU

The former California Golden Bears lineman knew Oklahoma was the place for him as soon as Bill Bedenbaugh reached out after hitting the transfer portal.

RYAN CHAPMAN     APR 8, 2022

NORMAN — The recruiting process wash short and to the point for new Oklahoma offensive lineman McKade Mettauer.

The offensive guard hit the transfer portal after starting 28 games over the past three seasons with California, and was named to the All Pro Football Focus Pac-12 Second Team last year.

Once OU offensive line coach Bill Bedenbaugh reached out, Mettauer needed just minutes to decide his next career move.

“I always wanted to go to Oklahoma, I just didn’t get the opportunity to go out of high school,” Mettauer said during a media availability on Wednesday. “The recruiting pitch when I started to transfer, there wasn’t really one. I knew Oklahoma was Oklahoma.

“I think the recruiting process was probably about 10 minutes. He called me and said we’ve got a spot for you and I said OK I’ll think about it. I called him right back and said I’m in.”

From there, Mettauer had conversations with offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby and head coach Brent Venables, but he knew he was locked in with the Sooners.

“(Lebby) gave me a call during the recruitment process, and that was a little bit of a pull just knowing that the whole staff wanted me and needed me,” Mettauer said. “And Coach Venables, he can talk, but he didn't have to do that with me. He said he liked that about me, and they didn't have to spend much time because they knew that I was committed to the program."

After arriving in Norman, Mettauer said it didn’t take long to notice a clear shift in culture.  Not only is the competition at Oklahoma a step up, but the energy surrounding the program is a massive difference than what he said he experienced at California.

“Originally I’m from Houston so growing up in Texas, the football has always been kind of a main priority in our culture,” Mettauer said. “Going to the west, it was cool. I had a good time there. It just wasn’t that intense of an environment.

“Coming back to this, it just feels good for this to be a priority in a lot of people’s lives and the intensity on the field is great and around the facility.”

Now that he’s in the height of spring practice, Mettauer said he’s adjusted to his new team, he’s just hoping to make an impact on the field.

Part of that yearning for playing time has seen Mettauer work at both left and right guard, even though he was only deployed previously as a right guard during his college career.

“For the past four practices, I’ve been at left (guard),” Mettauer said. “There was one practice where I was with the ones at right guard. Going back and forth shows my versatility. I like being able to switch back and forth.

“When they had said I had a chance to play left over here, I jumped at it. I wasn’t scared switching sides. Whenever you are getting ready for the NFL, versatility is key.”

The willingness to switch back and forth doesn’t necessarily mean the transition is easy, however. Mettauer did admit there’s an adjustment period every time he slides over to the other side of the line.

“I think there’s a pretty big difference when you switch over,” Mettauer said. “I would say it takes at least half a practice to get that stance… It doesn’t take long, but there is a bit of an adjustment period.”

Mettauer will have a chance to play a large role for the Sooners both on and off the field in 2022.

The losses of Tyrese Robinson and Marquis Hayes to the NFL leave not only a couple of starting spots up for grabs, but a bit of a leadership void in the offensive line room.

With three years of college football under his belt, Mettauer has the experience to help lead, but he said he still felt like he had to earn the respect of his new teammates.

“I think that no matter what you do in the past, when you go to a new place, there are going to be guys who are – not skeptical – but you have to prove yourself wherever you go,” Mettauer said. “I didn't feel comfortable at the beginning. I wasn't going to be out on the first day telling guys what to do… I think that's part of it when you're the new guy.

“Now, getting in pads and further proving myself, I do think that a lot of guys are starting to acclimate to me and ask for help knowing that I have that experience."

Despite his initial hesitations, Mettauer’s teammate Wanya Morris said that the California transfer has been a major boost to the position group since the day he arrived on campus.

“From the first day, McKade’s been a very vocal guy since he’s got here,” Morris said on Wednesday. “It feels like he’s always been here, really. Friendly guy, but when we get to work, we get to work. In the film room, he’s one of the first people there all the time. I respect the hell out of him.”

Overall, Mettauer is pleased with how he’s adjusted to his new team, and he’s just looking forward to continuing to grow within the offense and Bedenbaugh’s system.

“I think I’ve done a good job of acclimating myself to the new offense,” he said. “Since I’m an older guy, I’ve learned offenses like this before so I’ve been able to teach some of the younger guys.

“Even when I wasn’t out on the field, I’ve been able to prove myself and climb the ladder a little bit.”

Mettauer would have loved to come to Texas (Level 1) and follow his S/C coach, but Sark and Co decided against recruiting him.

On 12/5/2021 at 10:38 PM, A’Dam Psycho said:

This is either gonna be mehhh or a disaster for blOU. It’s gonna take at least 2 seasons to change the teams mentality to defense first. He’s not a great recruiter and he’s gonna be expected to have Riley’s success immediately. I’m not to worried about this hire but we’ll see

On 12/6/2021 at 10:45 AM, n64ra said:

I hope Venables fails at OU.

I hoping he's has some John Blake type seasons, all mediocre and losing. Brent can't recruit like Riley could and I think he's in over his head. Ou fans will figure that out soon enough. I'll give Brent maybe 3 or 4 years before they get rid of him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Texas and Oklahoma's athletics departments have been very adamant that they don't want it play over there. They told Jerry that they liked the facilities, but hated the atmosphere. Fuck Arlington! 

RRR should stay at the Cotton Bowl , period. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sooners' recruiting heater continues with addition of portal WR Javian Hester

By PARKER THUNE     92 minutes ago

After a long dry spell on the recruiting trail, it's been quite a banner week for Brent Venables and the Oklahoma staff.

After adding commitments from transfer quarterback Davis Beville and three-star 2023 DB/LB Kaleb Spencer less than an hour apart on Monday, the Sooners have now added yet another pledge, this time from transfer wide receiver Javian Hester. The former Missouri Tiger shut down his recruitment after a weekend visit to Oklahoma, which was keyed by Cale Gundy and Oklahoma assistant receivers coach L'Damian Washington. A Mizzou alum himself, Washington had served on his alma mater's staff under Eli Drinkwitz in 2021, which provided an obvious inroad with Hester once he hit the portal.

That said, it's also a bit of a homecoming for Hester, as he's a Tulsa native who starred at Booker T. Washington High School before matriculating at Missouri. A four-star recruit in the class of 2020, Hester chose the Tigers over UCLA in a dramatic recruitment that went all the way down to the wire. After redshirting during the 2020 season, he reeled in 12 passes for 225 yards and a pair of touchdowns in an injury-plagued 2021 season. With three years of eligibility remaining, he then elected to enter the portal in hopes of greener pastures, and he found them back in the Sooner State.

“The visit was perfect," Hester told OUInsider. "[It] felt right, like a long time coming. OU is home."

In need of another scholarship receiver after Cody Jackson elected to transfer, the Sooners hosted Hester and erstwhile Arizona State speedster LV Bunkley-Shelton over the weekend. Early returns on both players' visits were promising; it soon became evident that it would be a matter of who pulled the trigger first between Hester and Bunkley-Shelton, and the homegrown kid wasted no time in letting the staff know that he would be a Sooner.

In Norman, Hester will reunite with former Booker T. Washington teammate Gentry Williams, who signed with the Sooners in the class of 2022 to play cornerback. And Williams is just one name on a laundry list of Tulsa natives that occupy the locker room in Norman; among the local high schools represented are Tulsa Union (Jayden Rowe and Jordan Kelley) and Broken Arrow (Robert Spears-Jennings and Andrew Raym). Hester says that the opportunity to play alongside several prep standouts from the 918 is among many reasons why he's excited for a fresh start in the crimson and cream.

“I’m coming home," he remarked. "Just excited about that, and playing with a lot of guys I know and grew up around.”

He'll join a wide receiver room highlighted by established starters Marvin Mims and Theo Wease, reliable veteran Drake Stoops, and up-and-coming youngsters Jayden Gibson and Jalil Farooq.

• 2 weeks later...

Lincoln Riley takes veiled (or not so veiled?) shot at Oklahoma -- Riley thinks he can build a better roster at USC than Oklahoma. Is that a shot at OU or himself?

ZACH BARNETT    JUN 8, 2022

In the months since America's most bitter divorce this side of Johnny Depp and Amber Heard, Lincoln Riley has largely kept Oklahoma's name out his mouth. 

Oklahoma has talked about Riley plenty. Bob Stoops, specifically. He's trotted out the "Lincoln Riley did not invent Oklahoma football" everywhere from OU's press room to the Oklahoma statehouse  

The only time I can find Riley giving even a hint of confrontation in OU's direction -- other than, uh, swiping Caleb Williams, Mario Williams and Latrell McCutchin out of the Transfer Portal -- was this TikTok, where Riley appears in an official USC video but doesn't actually say anything himself.

That changed (a little bit) in this interview with Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports.

The  crux of the piece  is Riley correcting the notion he was "scared" to compete in the SEC. The move, Riley said, was less about what Oklahoma isn't and more about what USC is. (And, after growing up in the Texas panhandle, also about not wanting to spend his entire life on the flat lands of the American plains.)

There, Riley said this:

"I've walked into four playoffs, and I've never had better than maybe the third-best roster [of the four teams]," Riley said. "Every other year, we were four of four. We had really good rosters, but they weren't the same. … I can't imagine that there could be a setting that we could build a better roster than we can here."

This is where Oklahoma fans are likely to get their crimson-and-cream feathers ruffled. But should they? Let's take a speed walk through the Lincoln Riley era at Oklahoma.

2014: After beginning the year No. 4 in the AP poll, OU posts its worst season of the Bob Stoops era. The Sooners are blown off Owen Field by Baylor, gag away a home game to Oklahoma State, then are thoroughly embarrassed by Brent Venables and Clemson in the Russell Athletic Bowl. OU finishes fourth in the Big 12 (its fourth straight season without an outright Big 12 title, the longest skid of the Stoops era) and finishes outside the AP Top 25 for the second time since 2000.

Long story short, the Sooner Schooner is losing steam, fast. Stoops fires Josh Heupel, a national-title winning OU quarterback, and hires the outsider Riley.

2015: The combination of Riley and Baker Mayfield immediately jolts Oklahoma. The Sooners come from behind to win at Tennessee, shrug off a loss to Texas and win seven straight games to claim an outright Big 12 title and reach the College Football Playoff.

2016: September losses to Houston and Ohio State eliminate OU from CFP contention early, but the Sooners become the first team to run through a 9-game, round-robin Big 12 schedule undefeated, then beat Auburn in the Sugar Bowl. The offense improves from 6.8 yards per play to 7.54 (second nationally) and finishes third in scoring.

2017: Bob Stoops' shocking retirement plays exactly as anticipated. Riley takes head coaching duties in stride, as the Sooners overcome a shocking loss to Iowa State to once again win the Big 12 and reach the CFP. The offense averages a national-best 8.29 yards per play and Mayfield wins the school's sixth Heisman. Oklahoma jumps out to a 31-14 lead over Georgia in the Rose Bowl but ultimately loses in double overtime. Considering how the Sooners matched up with Alabama, it's more than fair to wonder if OU left a national title on the table. 

2018: Riley makes his first mistake as a head coach in retaining Mike Stoops as defensive coordinator. That mistake is belatedly rectified after OU allows 48 in a loss to Texas, but it's too little, too late by that point. The offense is even better (an FBS record 8.6 yards per play) and Kyler Murray wins the school's second straight Heisman, but even the best offense of all-time can't overcome a horrific defense. OU wins the Big 12 and reaches the CFP again, but the Sooners are quickly dispatched by Alabama, who is then blown out by Clemson.

2019: A third-straight transfer quarterback (Jalen Hurts) finishes runner-up in the Heisman voting, but the 2019 team is clearly a step behind its predecessors. Riley addresses the defense by hiring Alex Grinch as coordinator, and the team overachieves by once again winning the Big 12 and reaching the CFP. The Sooners are blown off the field by eventual champion LSU.

2020: Playing the first homegrown quarterback of the Riley era, Oklahoma drops the first two Big 12 games of a pandemic-altered season. The Sooners fend off oblivion by beating Texas in four overtimes and win the next seven after that, including a payback defeat of Iowa State in the Big 12 title game. While they do lift the conference championship trophy for the sixth straight season, Oklahoma misses the CFP for the first time in Riley's four years as a head coach.

2021: With Spencer Rattler returning for a third season in the offense, Oklahoma enters the year ranked No. 2 with legitimate national title expectations. Instead, the season is an undeniable disappointment. Rattler is booed at home in a 16-13 win over West Virginia, then replaced midway through the Texas game. Caleb Williams sparks a comeback, but Oklahoma later loses to Baylor and Oklahoma State. It's the first time in Riley's even years that the Sooners have: A) lost Bedlam, and B) missed the Big 12 title game.

Riley leaves the program the following day.

Now, with Williams returning, perhaps Oklahoma recovers and returns to its rightful place atop the Big 12 among the nation's elite if Riley and company return this fall. Or maybe we can no longer make that assumption.

It's an objective fact that the longer Riley remained atop Oklahoma football, the further Oklahoma football became from its first national championship since 2000. 

Riley himself tacitly admits that in his own quote above. Oklahoma's best roster was the one he had the least influence over. 

Screenshot_20220611-180154_kindlephoto-17766783.png.20bcac73f188e6dec7f17eb80726111d.png

That's why  Sooner Nation's reaction to Riley's departure has been so perplexing. The same people will tell you in one breath that Riley committed treason in leaving, and in the next admit the program was falling off and was overdue for a culture reset. 

But no one asked college football fans to be rational. 

At this point it doesn't make either side of the Riley/OU divorce to keep talking about each other, but I hope neither one ever stops talking their way through it. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Lincoln Riley takes veiled (or not so veiled?) shot at Oklahoma -- Riley thinks he can build a better roster at USC than Oklahoma. Is that a shot at OU or himself?

ZACH BARNETT    JUN 8, 2022

In the months since America's most bitter divorce this side of Johnny Depp and Amber Heard, Lincoln Riley has largely kept Oklahoma's name out his mouth. 

Riley's piece with Dennis Dodd the other day was maybe the 4th "here is why I left Oklahoma" article his PR team has pushed out since the move.  He had something similar in The Player's Tribune at the end of April.  At the current pace he'll put out another article in mid-July.  The reason he keeps doing this is that he's getting killed on the recruiting trail by other coaching staffs over the narrative that he ran away from SEC competition.   He's getting killed over that b/c it's pretty plainly true.   

Guys like Barnett keep staking shots at OU fans because they're good for clicks.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Riley's piece with Dennis Dodd the other day was maybe the 4th "here is why I left Oklahoma" article his PR team has pushed out since the move.  He had something similar in The Player's Tribune at the end of April.  At the current pace he'll put out another article in mid-July.  The reason he keeps doing this is that he's getting killed on the recruiting trail by other coaching staffs over the narrative that he ran away from SEC competition.   He's getting killed over that b/c it's pretty plainly true.   

Guys like Barnett keep staking shots at OU fans because they're good for clicks.  

Link to Dennis Dodd article...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/lincoln-riley-sets-the-record-straight-as-usc-rebuilds-in-earnest-while-embracing-steep-expectations/

28 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Cowturd is FoxSports loud promotion megaphone for Usc/Lincoln Riley right now... It's disgusting and should be beneath Cowturd to do.

Joel Klatt recently made fun of him on his show about it.  Doubt FOX will allow Klatt to do that anymore...

FoxSports needs Usc to be relevant again...

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn autocorrect

37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Cowturd is FoxSports loud promotion megaphone for Usc/Lincoln Riley right now... It's disgusting and should be beneath Cowturd to do.

Joel Klatt recently made fun of him on his show about it.  Doubt FOX will allow Klatt to do that anymore...

FoxSports needs Usc to be relevant again...

Yeah.  FOX needs SC to be good and FOX is also pissed at OU for taking public shots at their "Big Noon" format.  Klatt's always been an OU fan, but even he predicted a week or two ago that OU's 22 squad was going to be its worst team since Stoops arrived.  The whole thing is really unprofessional.  It's one thing if a guy like Finebaum or Clay Travis have absurd or biased takes but those types of guys aren't supposed to.  

It'll be interesting to see how Riley does at SC.  If Caleb Williams progresses, they *should* be elite on offense and that will give them a chance to win the PAC.  But it's hard to overlook how the QB play for Riley has gotten worse year after year despite the guys playing for him being highly talented.  Some of that is that defenses caught up with him schematically.  But I think some of it is coaching (or lack of that.)    

Edited by camel at sea

On 5/6/2022 at 9:50 AM, Longboard Horn said:

I hoping he's has some John Blake type seasons, all mediocre and losing. Brent can't recruit like Riley could and I think he's in over his head. Ou fans will figure that out soon enough. I'll give Brent maybe 3 or 4 years before they get rid of him. 

He’s not over his head but he’s an asshole. He’s brought back Jerry Schmidt who is a giant asshole. Not sure about Lebby. I just don’t know if that approach can work anymore with the portal 

29 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

He’s not over his head but he’s an asshole. He’s brought back Jerry Schmidt who is a giant asshole. Not sure about Lebby. I just don’t know if that approach can work anymore with the portal 

Venables appears to be striking out on the NIL front, as well.  Really is a shame...

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/34157131/big-12-college-football-preview-part-2-burning-questions-projections-conference-top-teams

‘Almost no team in college football has been as consistently awesome as the Oklahoma Sooners. Over the past 85 seasons, they have finished in the AP top 10 45 times with shares of 47 conference titles and just six losing records. They've made basically two bad hires (Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake) since World War II.’

counterpoint: Arch

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/34157131/big-12-college-football-preview-part-2-burning-questions-projections-conference-top-teams

‘Almost no team in college football has been as consistently awesome as the Oklahoma Sooners. Over the past 85 seasons, they have finished in the AP top 10 45 times with shares of 47 conference titles and just six losing records. They've made basically two bad hires (Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake) since World War II.’

They and Ohio State are basically never bad. Very annoying.

21 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LMAO I remember Howard lasted only one season. Why did y'all get rid of him(besides finishing 5-5-1)? Didn't he want to get rid of y'all's traditions and pissed off all the boosters? 

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

LMAO I remember Howard lasted only one season. Why did y'all get rid of him(besides finishing 5-5-1)? Didn't he want to get rid of y'all's traditions and pissed off all the boosters? 

Not gonna lie…He was pretty legendary.  If you’re gonna be terrible, you should be getting hammered and telling everyone they should suck your dick, while smoking a cigar.