Tell me about ou

Texas007

36 minutes ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

Well they did beat them in south bend a few years ago, with a tight end at qb no less 

One of the most shittastic Texas teams ever beat Notre Dame this decade.

They’d surely have defeated nd last season. 

giphy.gif

Edited by ztejas

On 7/24/2019 at 6:41 PM, LTtxfan said:

Thx @Goodman for this info...

Another blOU bullshit fact:

28. For the fifth consecutive year, Oklahoma has no back-to-back conference road games. Six Big 12 schools will play back-to-backs this season, six did last season as well, and eight did in 2017. But not the Sooners, since 2014. Don’t forget the gift basket for the league office, Lincoln Riley.

https://sports.yahoo.com/40-things-to-know-about-the-2019-college-football-schedule-035935239.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer_us=aHR0cHM6Ly90LmNvL3N4RzVzbGZPaG0&guce_referrer_cs=LgAchWpb1aJRgaHViYgfKg

They also don't ever have to play weeknight home games. Because traffic. Norman, OK is the only city in America that has traffic issues to deal with when tens of thousands of people come in to watch sports events.

5 minutes ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

Nd played boring uninspired ball. Won a bunch of games by single digits.   OU would have put up 45 on them. Nd stank offense isn’t bama, they wouldn’t have put up 45. 

I think you're underrating that Domers team, chief. And as for "won a bunch of games by single digits" thanks for the laugh.

OU almost lost to Army, played OSU, WVU and fucking Tech to within 5 points, lost to Texas, could have easily lost to Texas twice, and made it about 2 quarters against Bama. 

But sure - absolute lock to go beat undefeated Notre Dame in a playoff game. 

36 minutes ago, 'stache said:

They also don't ever have to play weeknight home games. Because traffic. Norman, OK is the only city in America that has traffic issues to deal with when tens of thousands of people come in to watch sports events.

Yeah, who wants to host a friday game during the season?  That's no fun.  

37 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think you're underrating that Domers team, chief. And as for "won a bunch of games by single digits" thanks for the laugh.

OU almost lost to Army, played OSU, WVU and fucking Tech to within 5 points, lost to Texas, could have easily lost to Texas twice, and made it about 2 quarters against Bama. 

All true, but it doesnt mean nd wasnt a pretender, they had a weak ass ho hum offense and an overrated defense that cratered when they finally came up against an elite offense. The next best O after Clemson? #19 Syracuse and after that it's waaay down the line.  Texas would have beaten them too.   We all know what OU was about, elite offense and  no defense.  Played up to their name against alabama, the score is pretty much what everyone expected to see.  An undefeated nd is supposed to have been competitive at least, right? They werent a top team. granted Clemson was heads and shoulders above everyone else, they might have done the same thing to anyone they played. 

On 8/5/2019 at 3:52 PM, ztejas said:

I'm pretty neutral on the OU vs ND argument but I do want to point out that OU was down 28-0 after four possessions by Bama. They did not make it two quarters. They barely made it two minutes.

OU sucks.

11 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I'm pretty neutral on the OU vs ND argument but I do want to point out that OU was down 28-0 after four possessions by Bama. They did not make it two quarters. They barely made it two minutes.

OU sucks.

They were down 28-0.  However it must be noted that most teams down 28-0 would  roll over and die, and would not respond the way OU did by finishing the game with a 34-17 margin. They made it a game again, and nd wasn't even slightly competitive in theirs.  They had 13 possessions and 12 of them ended in a punt or turnover. 

They were down 28-0.  However it must be noted that most teams down 28-0 would  roll over and die, and would not respond the way OU did by finishing the game with a 34-17 margin. They made it a game again, and nd wasn't even slightly competitive in theirs.  They had 13 possessions and 12 of them ended in a punt or turnover. 

Lol winning the game after being down 28-0, which doesnt fully illustrate the level of dominance, has to be the most aggy talking point I've ever heard. OU just team out of time, yeah?

ND was in a one score game with Clemson until the final minutes of the first half. Their defense came to play, they just couldn't overcome the total annihilation of their offense. That's one more unit than OU brought to play. If you want to give OU a moral victory you have to give ND one. The latter had the game in doubt far longer than the former.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Lol winning the game after being down 28-0, which doesnt fully illustrate the level of dominance, has to be the most aggy talking point I've ever heard. OU just team out of time, yeah?

ND was in a one score game with Clemson until the final minutes of the first half. Their defense came to play, they just couldn't overcome the total annihilation of their offense. That's one more unit than OU brought to play. If you want to give OU a moral victory you have to give ND one. The latter had the game in doubt far longer than the former.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

First of all, it's a 4 quarter game, right?  How they responded after being down 28-0 says a lot about the mettle and character of a team.  Once clemson started to squeeze the vice scripts on nd, they became completely irrelevant in the game.  Really, that game was over with 12:50 left in the 2nd quarter.  Sure their D came to play, for less than 1 half of the game. But, 4 quarter game, right? BTW that game had no doubt whatsoever by late in the 2nd quarter, it was out of hand.  OU scored on every possession of the 2nd half, that game was in doubt late into the 4th unlike nd. Get outta here ,you have to admit OU had the game in doubt far longer.  

OU down 28 and the game looked out of hand, and would have been for anybody else. But they made it a game again. That's worth something, especially compared to the complete lack of competitiveness offered by nd outside a few defensive stops in the beginning.  What moral victory could nd have here? I am not even trying to give OU a moral victory. Im saying nd had no business in this game and OU would have defeated them.  I detailed the performance of both teams in the playoffs to illustrate that. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

A UT board may not be the best place to tout the strengths of an OU losing effort or discuss hypothetical comparisons to past losing OU efforts. That said, I guess this thread needs content, even on the days when there is no documented screwdriver abduction, braining, girlface punching, or evidence hiding.

OU was NEVER in the game against Bama.  The differential peaked out at 4 scores.  After that, it simply alternated between a 3 score game and a 2 score game depending on who had the ball most recently.  The Sooners were doomed by their terrible defense which couldn't stop anyone.  Both teams had the ball for 4 drives in the 2nd half.  OU managed to force one punt in the 3rd Q.  They never came close to stopping a drive by the Tide after that.

Bama's 2nd and 3rd drives of the half went for a combined 17 plays, 133 yds, 2 TDs and 9:30 TOP.  Most damningly, OU's defense was so bad they couldn't even get Saban's offense into a 3rd down once.  They were never in a position to set up a stop, much less actually get one.  The Sooner D got completely run over.  Fortunately for them, Bama was content to just run out the last 4:30 of the game.  They pretty much told OU they were running it every down and still moved it at will: 4 first downs and game over.

That Alabama team was clearly superior to Oklahoma and it wasn't close.  That same Alabama team got whipped just as badly as Notre Dame when those teams both faced Clemson.  Based on actual results Notre Dame could make a case that they were a good match for Alabama.  OU doesn't belong in that conversation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

A UT board may not be the best place to tout the strengths of an OU losing effort or discuss hypothetical comparisons to past losing OU efforts. That said, I guess this thread needs content, even on the days when there is no documented screwdriver abduction, braining, girlface punching, or evidence hiding.

Well my intent wasn’t to tout anything really, all i said was a simple comment about how Oklahoma would’ve beaten Notre Dame. And a few  people didn’t agree with me, and all I was doing is trying to detail why I said it. I don’t talk out of my ass and have a reason for why I say the things that I do 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, sushihorn said:

OU was NEVER in the game against Bama.  The differential peaked out at 4 scores.  After that, it simply alternated between a 3 score game and a 2 score game depending on who had the ball most recently.  The Sooners were doomed by their terrible defense which couldn't stop anyone.  Both teams had the ball for 4 drives in the 2nd half.  OU managed to force one punt in the 3rd Q.  They never came close to stopping a drive by the Tide after that.

Bama's 2nd and 3rd drives of the half went for a combined 17 plays, 133 yds, 2 TDs and 9:30 TOP.  Most damningly, OU's defense was so bad they couldn't even get Saban's offense into a 3rd down once.  They were never in a position to set up a stop, much less actually get one.  The Sooner D got completely run over.  Fortunately for them, Bama was content to just run out the last 4:30 of the game.  They pretty much told OU they were running it every down and still moved it at will: 4 first downs and game over.

That Alabama team was clearly superior to Oklahoma and it wasn't close.  That same Alabama team got whipped just as badly as Notre Dame when those teams both faced Clemson.  Based on actual results Notre Dame could make a case that they were a good match for Alabama.  OU doesn't belong in that conversation.

of course they belong in the conversation. Oklahoma had the best offense in the country, arguably the best player in Murray, and was pretty clearly one of the best teams in the country despite  having no defense.   Notre Dame wasn’t the best at anything,  at all. They were very boring and very inefficient on offense, and the defense is good, but not in the same realm of elite as a Clemson or Alabama. Texas defense  was better last year in my opinion.   And we know Alabama’s defense is better and we saw what Oklahoma did to Alabama’s defense once they got things going.  I’m not sure there is another team in the country who could have made a game out of that shit tastic start.  OU was definitely getting back into it as the game went on, they scored on every drive in the second half and they were not the better team obviously, but they were very competitive.   There was no competition by Notre Dame to even be present in the game after Clemson score their first touchdown in the second quarteR.  They might have been playing Kansas for all that mattered. 

Based on actual results, Notre Dame would have been handled by Alabama just as easily as by Clemson, except maybe less dominant on defense for the whole game.  All I know is, Oklahoma would’ve scored more than 34 points on them ,  and there is no way in hell Notre Dame would  have had the same performance that Alabama did against OU.   I know there are no Oklahoma fans in here, but I know there are some reasonable football minds 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 hours ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

of course they belong in the conversation. Oklahoma had the best offense in the country, arguably the best player in Murray, and was pretty clearly one of the best teams in the country despite  having no defense.   Notre Dame wasn’t the best at anything,  at all. They were very boring and very inefficient on offense, and the defense is good, but not in the same realm of elite as a Clemson or Alabama. Texas defense  was better last year in my opinion.   And we know Alabama’s defense is better and we saw what Oklahoma did to Alabama’s defense once they got things going.  I’m not sure there is another team in the country who could have made a game out of that shit tastic start.  OU was definitely getting back into it as the game went on, they scored on every drive in the second half and they were not the better team obviously, but they were very competitive.   There was no competition by Notre Dame to even be present in the game after Clemson score their first touchdown in the second quarteR.  They might have been playing Kansas for all that mattered. 

Based on actual results, Notre Dame would have been handled by Alabama just as easily as by Clemson, except maybe less dominant on defense for the whole game.  All I know is, Oklahoma would’ve scored more than 34 points on them ,  and there is no way in hell Notre Dame would  have had the same performance that Alabama did against OU.   I know there are no Oklahoma fans in here, but I know there are some reasonable football minds 

This is all pathetic fantasy and excuse making.  Your argument amounts to "if we hadn't sucked so much we would have won."

OU didn't have much of a "comeback" at all.  Their horrid defense managed ONE stop then they traded scoring drives for the rest of the 2nd half. 

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

This is all pathetic fantasy and excuse making.  Your argument amounts to "if we hadn't sucked so much we would have won."

OU didn't have much of a "comeback" at all.  Their horrid defense managed ONE stop then they traded scoring drives for the rest of the 2nd half. 

My argument is that OU would have beaten ND. Of course OU had a comeback.  They played like garbage in the first 3 drives but scored on every single drive after that except the one that ended the 1st half.  TBH it was the only competitive playoff game of the 3.

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

My argument is that OU would have beaten ND. Of course OU had a comeback.  They played like garbage in the first 3 drives but scored on every single drive after that except the one that ended the 1st half.  TBH it was the only competitive playoff game of the 3.

When the team with the 4-TD lead has long drives that result in scores for the entire second half but for one stop, you didn't come back. Comebacks result in victories. Close calls result in one-score outcomes decided in the waning seconds. Beat downs start out with large margins and never change leads.

On 8/6/2019 at 9:50 PM, NorthLoop said:

So a shitty secondary just lost it's best player?

Don't need to fret. They're going to make up for it through self-flagellation:

129 reps. 129 seconds. 129 yards.

First-year defensive coordinator Alex Grinch revealed Friday that in the spring he and strength coach Bennie Wylie would have their defensive players do rep counts that added up to 129, OU’s pass defense rank in 2018. The rank was at the bottom of the FBS.

That oughta make 'em stop sucking shit through a straw, right?

24 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

When the team with the 4-TD lead has long drives that result in scores for the entire second half but for one stop, you didn't come back. Comebacks result in victories. Close calls result in one-score outcomes decided in the waning seconds. Beat downs start out with large margins and never change leads.

Sure they did, they were forced to keep scoring in order to win.  If OU gets one more stop in the 2nd half, we're looking at a 38-34 game late in the 4th.   And that's not even a smidgen of a comeback after being down by 28?  It wasn't a win but they overcame a substantial disadvantage and made it a game. Unlike the other games where both teams had their doors blown off and never recovering. 

• Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

Sure they did, they were forced to keep scoring in order to win.  If OU gets one more stop in the 2nd half, we're looking at a 38-34 game late in the 4th.   And that's not even a smidgen of a comeback after being down by 28?  It wasn't a win but they overcame a substantial disadvantage and made it a game. Unlike the other games where both teams had their doors blown off and never recovering. 

So basically, granting you a condition contrary to fact (getting another stop), OU would still have lost. We may be using different terminology, but I think what I would describe as showing heart and refusing to quit, you are describing as a comeback.

Webster's applicable definition of comeback is 

2: a return to a former position or condition (as of success or prosperity) : RECOVERY, REVIVAL

If being down by 2 scores was the former condition in the vein of success or prosperity that OU sought, comeback would seem to be the correct term. If victory was desired, I think you are pretty far out on the limb. For aggy, I would buy losing by double digits as a (moral) comeback. For other teams, not so much.

Edited by Magus Ossis

42 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

So basically, granting you a condition contrary to fact (getting another stop), OU would still have lost. We may be using different terminology, but I think what I would describe as showing heart and refusing to quit, you are describing as a comeback.

Webster's applicable definition of comeback is 

If being down by 2 scores was the former condition in the vein of success or prosperity that OU sought, comeback would seem to be the correct term. If victory was desired, I think you are pretty far out on the limb. For aggy, I would buy losing by double digits as a (moral) comeback. For other teams, not so much.

It's not the official definition but they did overcome substantial disadvantage to make it a game, and that's what I mean.   I could have chosen a better word but I am confident you know the nuance I was going for.  Back to my original point, OU would beat ND.  The OU game was the only really good, competitive game of the 3.  

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

It's not the official definition but they did overcome substantial disadvantage to make it a game, and that's what I mean.   I could have chosen a better word but I am confident you know the nuance I was going for.  Back to my original point, OU would beat ND.  The OU game was the only really good, competitive game of the 3.  

OU was never competitive.  They got crushed from the opening whistle.  They had ZERO chance to win because their defense was so bad.  Who cares if OU was scoring on every drive.  So was Bama and they were doing it EASILY.  That's why the Sooners were never going to catch up.  Nobody shares your little fantasy world.  The only times OU had the ball in the 2nd half they were down by 3 scores.

14 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

OU was never competitive.  They got crushed from the opening whistle.  They had ZERO chance to win because their defense was so bad.  Who cares if OU was scoring on every drive.  So was Bama and they were doing it EASILY.  That's why the Sooners were never going to catch up.  Nobody shares your little fantasy world.  The only times OU had the ball in the 2nd half they were down by 3 scores.

Of course they were competitive, they werent going to win but they were competitive.  ND, they were crushed from the opening whistle, and never recovered, couldnt even save face. OU got crushed in their first 3 possessions, but after that, were right up there with them.  Scored on every single possession in 2nd half, you ask who cares, I say that's being competitive.  It's no lie that if they were to make a stop on alabama's last touchdown drive, they turn around & score again and its 38-34. That's not a fantasy, that's a truth.  That's not a high chance to win, but it's not a zero chance to win.    ND, zero chance to win once the first touchdown was scored.  They could have stopped clemson every possession of the 2nd half and wouldn't matter.  Same with alabama vs clemson. Tell me it wasnt the most competitive of the 3 playoff games.  

Edited by Glenn Quagmire Pilot
  • Fuck You 1

Texas beat OU one game and lost another. Previous H2H is not a completely reliable predictor of who will win a game, let alone the transitive property of football. To use the relative severity of the beatings Bama delivered to OU and ND in some vain quest to decide which would beat the other for some hypothetical consolation prize is fatuous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

Of course they were competitive, they werent going to win but they were competitive.  ND, they were crushed from the opening whistle, and never recovered, couldnt even save face. OU got crushed in their first 3 possessions, but after that, were right up there with them.  Scored on every single possession in 2nd half, you ask who cares, I say that's being competitive.  It's no lie that if they were to make a stop on alabama's last touchdown drive, they turn around & score again and its 38-34. That's not a fantasy, that's a truth.  That's not a high chance to win, but it's not a zero chance to win.    ND, zero chance to win once the first touchdown was scored.  They could have stopped clemson every possession of the 2nd half and wouldn't matter.  Same with alabama vs clemson. Tell me it wasnt the most competitive of the 3 playoff games.  

ND played a much better opponent than OU faced.  Moose out front should have told you.

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Texas beat OU one game and lost another. Previous H2H is not a completely reliable predictor of who will win a game, let alone the transitive property of football. To use the relative severity of the beatings Bama delivered to OU and ND in some vain quest to decide which would beat the other for some hypothetical consolation prize is fatuous.

Perhaps but all I did was say OU would have beaten ND and i'd have been happy to leave it at that.  But others disagreed and I think we saw how they performed when they played a team with some nasty offense. 

2 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

ND played a much better opponent than OU faced.  Moose out front should have told you.

Indeed they did

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

It's even worse than that.  OU and ND did not have a common opponent so the idiot is trying to pretend that Bama = Clemson to confirm his bias.

If we were to apply the ACTUAL transitive property, ND lost to Clemson by 27 and Bama lost by 28.  Those teams had comparable outcomes and one could make a case that they were of similar quality.  OU on the other hand lost to Bama by 11 and it was a lot worse than the final score.  Transitive property would say the Sooners are 40 points worse than Clemson and 12 points worse than ND.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

It's even worse than that.  OU and ND did not have a common opponent so the idiot is trying to pretend that Bama = Clemson to confirm his bias.

If we were to apply the ACTUAL transitive property, ND lost to Clemson by 27 and Bama lost by 28.  Those teams had comparable outcomes and one could make a case that they were of similar quality.  OU on the other hand lost to Bama by 11 and it was a lot worse than the final score.  Transitive property would say the Sooners are 40 points worse than Clemson and 12 points worse than ND.

I stand corrected. Well put.

The NFL is going to look like the Big 12 sooner rather than later.  Baker Mayfield just opened the preseason with a "hurry up" two minute drill in the first preseason game.  Cleveland marched down the field for a quick score.  Riley--he gone.  Kliff will start the trend, then Riley and Leach for the lulz.  

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

The NFL is going to look like the Big 12 sooner rather than later.  Baker Mayfield just opened the preseason with a "hurry up" two minute drill in the first preseason game.  Cleveland marched down the field for a quick score.  Riley--he gone.  Kliff will start the trend, then Riley and Leach for the lulz.  

Leach in the NFL would be a blast to watch.