James Douglas Morrison

Sbbruin

The highlight of my Paris trip was visiting Pere Lachaise cemetery. So many illuminaries are buried there - Chopin, Rossinni, Gericault, Oscar Wilde, De Balzac, etc. - But you can easily find Morrison because the biggest crowd will be gathered around his grave. Biggest by a long shot.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I enjoy the Doors.  Even still today.  There seems to have been a movement afoot to discredit them and Morrison in particular.

My favorite Doors, though, really are Manzarek and Cregor.

Agreed.i don’t get the effort to “prove” they weren’t spectacular.  Like Floyd, you hear their music and you know what you’re listening to.

Roadhouse Blues and LA Woman kick ass.

The rest of it.... Meh.  Morrison was a garbage lyricist.  He took psychedelics and wrote his thoughts on paper.  Pretentious as hell, by all accounts a complete douche bag, and they never had a fucking bass player even though they were using bass players on all the studio albums.

If anything, the Doors get more credit than they deserve.

16 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Roadhouse Blues and LA Woman kick ass.

The rest of it.... Meh.  Morrison was a garbage lyricist.  He took psychedelics and wrote his thoughts on paper.  Pretentious as hell, by all accounts a complete douche bag, and they never had a fucking bass player even though they were using bass players on all the studio albums.

If anything, the Doors get more credit than they deserve.

Wow, no accounting for good taste....... 

If you read a book like No One Here Get's Out Alive, you understand that Jim Morrison was a bit of a dickhead, and his lyrics could cross the line from poetry to pretention.  But The Doors produced some of the more iconic sounds of the 1960s, and I've been a fan since middle school.   

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

If you read a book like No One Here Get's Out Alive, you understand that Jim Morrison was a bit of a dickhead, and his lyrics could cross the line from poetry to pretention.  But The Doors produced some of the more iconic sounds of the 1960s, and I've been a fan since middle school.   

I would totally Agee with that.  His music did cross from poetry to music (pretention may have been there, but the result was sublime), and he was a dickhead like many many other rock stars, artists, designers, CEO's, etc.  They were a sound of the 60's like few others.

• Like 1

By no metric are they "under" appreciated. They probably sit atop the "most overrated" bands to come out of the 1960s. Sometimes I listen to their music just to laugh at how fucking stupid Jim Morrison's lyrics are. And they keyboard. Good god, the keyboard.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BoomMF said:

The highlight of my Paris trip was visiting Pere Lachaise cemetery. So many illuminaries are buried there - Chopin, Rossinni, Gericault, Oscar Wilde, De Balzac, etc. - But you can easily find Morrison because the biggest crowd will be gathered around his grave. Biggest by a long shot.

Certainly one of the highlights of my trip also.  Well worth the journey to the outskirts of town.  And don't forget Maria Callas, Edith Piaf, and Mezz Mezzrow. We could have spent all day, but had to get back.

No crowd at Morrison's when we went, but that was in the fall of 2002.  He'd only been dead 30 years.

By no metric are they "under" appreciated. They probably sit atop the "most overrated" bands to come out of the 1960s. Sometimes I listen to their music just to laugh at how fucking stupid Jim Morrison's lyrics are. And they keyboard. Good god, the keyboard.

I disagree with all of this. You can leave now.

the internet has taught me that the doors are the most overrated band of all time...however i've seen very few people on the other side of this argument, claiming they're amazing.  i've always considered them a decent band with a few excellent songs. 

1 minute ago, stc said:

the internet has taught me that the doors are the most overrated band of all time...however i've seen very few people on the other side of this argument, claiming they're amazing.  i've always considered them a decent band with a few excellent songs. 

I'm in the they're amazing camp.  They're one of a handful of bands I'd want access to, were I on one of those proverbial desert islands.

• Like 1