tAll Encompassing Disney Thread

Baboontyme

Star Wars Land won't open till probably mid-June. If it happens to open early, you might get better luck on the other areas as everyone will head to Star Wars Land. I would just go early and you'll be fine. If you arrive in the afternoon, you may be turned away if the park is too crowded, which it will be if Star Wars Land is open. 

Tickets at DLR/CA aren't day specific. You just buy a ticket at anytime and it's good for 15 months. The last day on a multi-day ticket has to be used within a few weeks of the first day it's scanned.

Go to CA for the half day. Hit DLR for the next day.

Get the MaxPass.  It is well worth it.  Pay attention to when you can get your next Pass. It'll be before you use the current Pass. That way, you can go from Max Pass to Max Pass and minimize wait times. If a ride goes down for a Pass you are holding, it converts to an any ride/any time pass. 

On 3/2/2019 at 3:23 PM, Amos Moses said:

Planning a trip to DL in the first week of June.  Ideally I'd like to start with a half day when we arrive and then have the next day be a full day.  We went to WDW in 2016 so I generally know the drill about how to navigate with the app, Fastpass (although it looks like DL and WDW have different systems), dinner reservations, etc.  Any tips on when to look into securing tickets?  I tried through the website and you can't purchase single day tickets this far out.  Also, how likely are we to arrive right when the Star Wars stuff opens?  No one in my group particularly cares about it, but I'm wondering if we need to reconsider given the crowds.

So actually, it's opening May 31st. Good luck. The rest of the park might be manageable with everyone else in Star Wars Land. Actually, just seeing that only the Millenium Falcon ride will be open then. Rise of the Resistance won't open till later. Guess it's not ready. I foresee that being a ride that constantly goes down. 

Edited by mdmost

Just be aware and make plans in case you can't get in your half day due to crowd sizes. California Adventure would be fine, I'd think. DLR is going to be packed and they may shut it down out some point to new entrants. On your full day, just get there early. 

Edited by mdmost

Guests planning to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland park in California between May 31 and June 23, 2019 will need valid theme park admission and will be required to make a no-cost reservation, subject to availability, to access the land. Information on how to make a reservation will be available at a later date on Disneyland.com and the Disney Parks Blog. Guests staying at one of the three Disneyland Resort hotels during these dates will receive a designated reservation to access Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge during their stay (one reservation per registered guest); valid theme park admission is required.

A reservation will not be offered or required to experience Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at the Walt Disney World Resort at this time.  And you should know that valid theme park admission to Disney’s Hollywood Studios is required to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge after its opening on August 29, 2019. Capacity is limited.  Additionally, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be available during Extra Magic Hours. During Extra Magic Hours guests staying at select Walt Disney World Resort hotels can spend extra time at Disney’s Hollywood Studios enjoying select attractions.  Details will also be available at a later date on Disneyworld.com and the Disney Parks Blog.

Attractions: For your vacation planning purposes, please be aware that Disney FASTPASS service, including access via Disney MaxPass, (at Disneyland park) and Disney FastPass+ service (at Disney’s Hollywood Studios) will not initially be offered at Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run. We will continually evaluate our operations and services in order to help provide a great guest experience.

Planning:  If you’re looking to book a vacation to the Disneyland Resort, visit Disneyland.com.  You should also note that vacation packages, park tickets and Disney Resort hotel stays do not guarantee access to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.  The land —including participation in its experiences—will be subject to capacity restraints and other restrictions.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/03/star-wars-galaxys-edge-to-open-may-31-at-disneyland-resort-august-29-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/?CMP=SOC-DPFY19Q2wo0307190313190002C

Edited by LonghornSean

I like the reservation idea. That's a really great way to not make it wall to wall people. And it's open to all which has to be the case at least in Anaheim since it's 90% LA residents. The no Fastpass deal is interesting but supposedly they have a plan that makes these waits fit and are enjoyable as you go through the queue

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from 3 days at DLR/CA.  

Did Max Pass as usual. Kinda figured out the best system for it.  Don't worry about getting a specific ride, get the next ride. 

For example, we got there at 8am on SUN. The first ride I got was Guardians at 11:30. We couldn't get another MaxPass until 11am. We ended up doing 3 or 4 Max Passes that day.

On Monday, in the gate at 8am again and I got an 8:15 Star Tours, I was immediately eligible for another one so I did a 8:50 Space Mtn. We followed it up with Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder 2x, Radiator Springs, Indiana Jones, Guardians, and Toy Story...all before 1pm.  Tuesday was the same way. We just went with what was available and due to timing there were several points each day when we were holding 3 Max Passes not including a few Multi-Rides due to rides breaking down.  Even when we thought we were going to miss something, people drop passes all the time so we were always able to grab them. For example, on Tuesday, at 10am, Guardians' pass was at 5pm and we thought we'd missed our chance since we were leaving the park at 3pm that day but 30 minutes later some noon passes came available.

Edited by CooterBrown

The WDW 50th anniversary is in 2021 so it should be back up by then. Though that really gives me no reason to go back till 2021 as Spaceship Earth is my wife's favorite ride in Epcot and she wouldn't be down for going unless the ride is there. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

The WDW 50th anniversary is in 2021 so it should be back up by then. Though that really gives me no reason to go back till 2021 as Spaceship Earth is my wife's favorite ride in Epcot and she wouldn't be down for going unless the ride is there. 

The rumor that is swirling around is that it won't be open for the 50th but rather Epcot's 40th in 2022. We'll see how it goes, but I 'm sure we'll enjoy plenty of learning about the past and future with GotG right next door. 😐

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not really travel related, but they announced some new content that will be available on the upcoming Disney+ streaming service. I'm excited about this docuseries about the history of Imagineering created by Iwerks and Co (The Pixar Story is among their other credits).

Considering this trailer that came out over 5 years ago, I think this series could be pretty good.  Of course, I am obsessed with Disney parks.

Edited by LonghornSean

8 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Not really travel related, but they announced some new content that will be available on the upcoming Disney+ streaming service. I'm excited about this docuseries about the history of Imagineering created by Iwerks and Co (The Pixar Story is among their other credits).

Considering this trailer that came out over 5 years ago, I think this series could be pretty good.  Of course, I am obsessed with Disney parks.

From about 10 to 15 I wanted to be an Imagineer. It'll be a must watch in our house.

Edited by SimonBolivar

On 5/16/2018 at 3:06 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Going to DW for 7 days 3rd week of June.  Staying in Animal Kingdom.  I keep telling myself that it’s for the kids.  The amount of alcohol that seems to be on the premise is making me feel better.

HUGE PLUS. Being able to have a beer (or several) at lunch or waiting in the long lines takes the edge off. We went this past fall and it was so much better than the previous trips. Not sure if that is because the kids are a little bit older and not as whinny or the beer. Either way it was much more enjoyable. 

The past two times we have gone have been in the fall. The added expensive of the after hours ticket at Magic Kingdom is so worth it if your kids are able to hang. Little to no lines for almost every ride and as others have said some of the rides are even better after dark. Plus the kids loved the Halloween parade (in the fall). 

Also the Disney app that shows wait times for rides is a huge plus. 

Edited by JimmyHoffa

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

HUGE PLUS. Being able to have a beer (or several) at lunch or waiting in the long lines takes the edge off. We went this past fall and it was so much better than the previous trips. Not sure if that is because the kids are a little bit older and not as whinny or the beer. Either way it was much more enjoyable. 

The past two times we have gone have been in the fall. The added expensive of the after hours ticket at Magic Kingdom is so worth it if your kids are able to hang. Little to no lines for almost every ride and as others have said some of the rides are even better after dark. Plus the kids loved the Halloween parade (in the fall). 

Also the Disney app that shows wait times for rides is a huge plus. 

I'm lucky.  My wife is one of those Black Friday, hit every kids' school event, walk all over Disney form dawn til dusk types.  Out of 7 days, I think I went back to the Animal Kingdom lodge before 3PM 5 times.  Watched some World Cup, drank beer, went to the pool.  We were with friends, so it's not as if I left her on her own.  

I'm not sure if I mentioned it before or not, but Disney screwed up something with our friends' reservation.  One of the things they did to make things right was give us all 2 free fast passes per day.  Combined with what we had, we'd basically just hit a ride, wait about 45 mins, hit another ride.  The entire week, we only stayed in line more than 45 mins twice - once for Small World (about an hour) and once for the ride inside (I think) Epcot, that taught about agriculture (about an hour).  

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

• 3 weeks later...

Reservations to get into Star Wars Land from May 30 to June 23rd at Disneyland were all snatched up in 2 hours when they went up at noon today. You can now only get a time by booking a stay at a Disneyland resort hotel. I hope they have some nice signage to explain this to all the people who think they can just walk up the day they visit the parks. This thing is going to be nuts. So if you booked a stay at a Disney hotel, you get 1 4-hour period on a certain day to go into Star Wars Land and that's it. Not one per day. One for your entire trip. 

Edited by mdmost

It's really quite amazing to see how fucked up Future World is these days. 

WoM > Test Track

Horizons > Mission Space (what a disastrous trade)

Original Imagination > Current Imagination (is that even an attraction?)

UoE > Coaster de jour superspacemen (but hey that IP right!!!)

The Land < Living With the Land (look at that! The modern concept when following the plan for the original works)

CommuniCore > Nothing (and I was an Innoventions cast member)

SSE (Cronkite or Irons take your pick) > 1/2 SSE (though there is a redo planned)

The Living Seas > The Seas with Nemo & Friends (I get it kids like Nemo and I don't have a problem with this change though I thought TLS was pretty cool)

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Rabidhorn said:

mdmost

How do you plan out a trip to WDW? do you hit one area a day? do you plan dinner in the same area you are in for that day? What are your favorite two or three lunch/Dinner spots?

I haven't done WDW in 4 years so I wouldn't know how best to do it now and how it may have changed. We used some of the planning sites like Disney Dining and Touringplans.com to help us with meals and ride planning. We're more Disneyland folks now. One thing I'm not a huge fan of at WDW is the Fastpass system versus the one at DL where you have more of a choice if you get there early. WDW, you plan months in advance and the times can be way too spread out. So then you're having to fill in the rest of the rides around those Fastpass times. Touringplans will help with letting you know if you plan is realistic. We split MK into two days and two halves so we weren't running end to end. We also did breaks every day as it was so balls hot and the kids couldn't last. Went back and took a swim break and made it back for the evening. That made things more bearable and frankly more like an actual vacation.

When we went, we did 5 park days total. MK, Epcot, HS, AK/Epcot for dinner, MK. We did a lot of character meals for breakfast since the kids were younger back then. We did Be Our Guest for one character dinner as our big spend. Those are a beating since you typically have to schedule them 180 days out. Lunches were the quick dining options where you order and get your food versus being served. We had one of the meal plans as part of our package and that helped with figuring out what to try to eat. 

All that said, we liked 50's Prime Time Diner (HS), Be Our Guest (MK), and Biergarten (Germany in Epcot).  The rest if pretty forgettable but others on here can give you some better ideas of what's good.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

Yak and Yeti at AK is pretty solid also. We always do a reserved lunch and a quick dinner. No one wanted big, heavy meals and it was always easier to get lunch reservations so we eat a little later than normal and grab a quick dinner. The breakfast at the resort the tram passes through the middle of was also good so we ate there a couple of times and then then other days grabbed something quick at the park.

Character meals were good when our kids were younger, but they outgrew them pretty quickly and still only did 1-2 per trip when younger. The one in Cinderella’s castle was probably the best for our girls because it was a little more personal than the bigger restaraunts.

I always thought the one at the Polynesian would be fun. Ohana, I think it's called. Wife wants to do Tea with Mary Poppins. She's a bigger nerd for her than my kids. Cinderella's Castle is a decent one. Just having a meal in the castle is kind of cool. Some of the princesses are hot. 

The main thing is take some time to get you some beers and drinks at Epcot and Hollywood Studios. I mean you're treating your kids. Treat yourself too. That's why I like Biergarten. You can get some nice German beers in a fun setting. Mexico has good tequila and margaritas. England has English pubs. France and Italy have wines. There are some spots at MK you can get beer and wine though it's limited. The new Star Wars Land has Star Wars specific drinks. Why not grab one if you're about to stand in a 3 hour line to ride the Millenium Falcon?

Edited by mdmost

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

I always thought the one at the Polynesian would be fun. Ohana, I think it's called. Wife wants to do Tea with Mary Poppins. She's a bigger nerd for her than my kids. Cinderella's Castle is a decent one. Just having a meal in the castle is kind of cool. Some of the princesses are hot. 

The main thing is take some time to get you some beers and drinks at Epcot and Hollywood Studios. I mean you're treating your kids. Treat yourself too. That's why I like Biergarten. You can get some nice German beers in a fun setting. Mexico has good tequila and margaritas. England has English pubs. France and Italy have wines. There are some spots at MK you can get beer and wine though it's limited. The new Star Wars Land has Star Wars specific drinks. Why not grab one if you're about to stand in a 3 hour line to ride the Millenium Falcon?

Ohana is great, easy to get to with the monorail, good food served like a Brazilian steakhouse. Ongoing entertainment for the kids that isn't too over the top to be annoying. Basically they have a "Polynesian" person walking around with a ukulele leading the kids in hula dances.

I have heard that it is booked up far in advance all the time.

16 hours ago, Rabidhorn said:

mdmost

How do you plan out a trip to WDW? do you hit one area a day? do you plan dinner in the same area you are in for that day? What are your favorite two or three lunch/Dinner spots?

When are you going and kIds' ages? Looking to do any character meals?

One park a day is plenty. 

Food---

MK-

Skippers Jungle Canteen for table service

Columbia Harbor House for counter service 

AK-

Tiffins is up there with Monsieur Paul(Epcot) for the best food in a park. Yak and Yeti would be the next best choice

EP-

Second both restaurants in France as well as the two in Morrocco.  Enjoy Tutto Italia too. Via Napoli is the best pizza at WDW because it is an outside restaurant group and not Disney

HS-

Brown Derby is the best

SciFi Dine-in is one of our favorites and 60's Prime Time Cafe is a lot of fun.

ABC Commissary is the best counter service

Disney Springs has most of the best food at WDW. Disney has improved food in the parks due to how much business they were losing to the outside restaurant groups at Disney Springs.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Just the tips:

1.  If you look at Disney as a list of rides and experiences and you have to check off each one, on some schedule designed to maximize the number of rides and experiences you have, you sound like a boring person and you're doing it wrong.  Look at it this way - Disney wants to entertain you, wants you to think their place is special - not just another amusement park, and Disney is really good at it.  Walk around with no-where to go, and just watch your kids.  Some of my best experiences are interacting with random characters in the streets (the suffragettes on Main Street, or Cinderella's evil sisters).  Talk to them "where are you headed today?  Is there any news we need to know today?"  They're well trained. They have some random street dance party about once every two hours and my kids got to dance with Aladdin and Judy Hops from Zootopia - they thought it was cool and still talk about it.  Disney parks are not just sidewalks that lead to a series of rides, they're more than that and there is something cool around just about every corner, if you have the right mindset.  Even the places and people outside the park gates, the ferry rides, the monorail, the workers/cast members.  Each is unique and special - try to figure out why/how.  It's fun.

2.  The Halloween party is the best ticket of the year.  Yes, some of the rides are closed and the entire Magic Kingdom isn't open, but you're not some glutton from the long line at wal-mart.  You've got a brain and you know you're at the best, family-friendly halloween party in the World.  You will see a headless horseman riding a real horse, the cast members come out of their shells a little and act loose, you can get your face painted.  They have different characters out at this event that are less common on regular days (more villains, less of the happy peeps).  One of my favorite moments was boarding the jungle cruise at the MNSSH in costumes.  My family was all peter pan costumes.  The guy said "ok, we have tinkerbell, Wendy, Captain Hook and (looking at me with my costume) you must be Captain Ron."  It was funny.  Again, if you're on the "I want to ride the most rides per minute of anyone in history" agenda, save it - go to Six Flags in Dallas or some carnival in the Burlington Coat Factory parking lot.  If you're thinking "how do I have fun at a Halloween Party with my kids?" you'll love it.  Go to the Haunted Mansion after dark.  They go a little farther for Halloween.

3.  Take it easy.  Unless you typically walk or are on your feet 12 hours per day, don't try to do it on your vacation.  Start early in the morning, take some stuff in.  When it gets hot and you lack motivation, go to your hotel, cool off for a few hours and nap, and then charge it again at 3-5 hours before closing.  This way you'll have 8-10 quality hours per day.  If you don't take a break/nap, you'll basically be a zombie by 1pm, and waste the entire evening.  Also, spend one day on your vacation at a hotel pool chilling and having drinks.  I cannot stress strongly enough that the breaks, days at the pool and naps will increase your energy level and happiness immensely.

I spend 7 days per year there and I keep going back every year, because when I travel there with my kids they provide the entertainment and I get to play along with my kids, and don't have to provide the show.

• Like 2

We're going to be in town for 3 days. Probably our last hurrah for a long while. We've done all of the parks but the kids (girl 6, boy 9) have always wanted to do this and are both obsessed with Halloween. I'm thinking maybe we do park hopper one day (they will want to do everything at MK and Flight of Passage and EE at AK), no park one day and just the Halloween party one day?

Is there a list of attractions that are open/closed during the party? How are wait times typically?

Disneyland, they change Haunted Mansion to The Nightmare Before Christmas. Granted, I like that movie but I really wanted Haunted Mansion for Halloween. I mean I knew that going in but that's probably my favorite ride. I'd imagine Halloween at World is cooler for the simple fact that the Haunted Mansion area is a better setting than New Orleans Square. The Halloween parade is pretty cool. I love the Dapper Dans (yes, I'm a nerd) and for Halloween they turned into the Ghoulish Dans and only sing Halloween and Haunted Mansion songs while floating on a barge out on the Rivers of America. We really didn't ride any rides other than I think Big Thunder Mountain. The Halloween decorations are top notch. If you like Halloween, do it. 

@CoTex that's some excellent advice. We really enjoyed our Christmas trip to Disneyland because we took a few days and did the break neck get it all in schedule and then spent two days just taking it easy and enjoying the time in Disneyland. I've always said to my wife that we're so busy doing rides that we miss the other cool things about the parks. We did the Flag Retreat which was excellent. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Has anyone been to the Mickey's not so scary Halloween? Tips? 

We went to the one at DL last year. My kids were probably a little past the age where it made sense at 13 and 10. They enjoyed the costumes, Halloween changes to the parade, and the rides but the trick or treating part was just stand in a long line and get a couple pieces of candy.

We are taking them to the one at Universal this year which should be more suited for their age. I despise Halloween, but I’ll make the best of it.

We won't do the trick or treating. My kids don't really like to trick or treat, I don't get it. They go to about 5-6 houses and want to come home and hand out candy or go to some of the other houses around the 'hood that have elaborate displays. The boy (the 9 yo) is into the fright stuff and might appreciate something like they have at Universal. The younger one not so much. It sounds here from what I'm gathering that this is more like a Halloween spectacular to take in the sights and not so much a check out a bunch of rides because lines will be short type of thing. I was not sure what to expect based on the little info I had heard second hand. Good info. 

I do assume, though, that we will want to check out HM and PotC. Any others that would be can't miss?

If we do a park day at MK before I imagine there won't be anything of priority, other than seeing the stuff that is transformed as I would imagine HM and Pirates would be. But yeah I could imagine them wanting to get a last go round on Space Mountain or something like that if the lines were low. 

I imagine you did. 

I'm a huge fan of Tomorrowland at night. That's one of my favorite things at WDW. It's going to be really kickass when the Tron coaster gets up and running. Imagine taking that at night. I think Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion at WDW are the two things I'd definitely take over the DL versions. After Tron is up, that's when I think we'll make a return. Though now they're taking down my wife's favorite, Spaceship Earth for a lengthy renovation so it could be a while till we return to WDW. I mean we almost did it last Christmas but DL was $1500 cheaper and not Florida. 

Edited by mdmost

DL is just such a better trip in my opinion. 2 parks with everything being built into a much more consolidated space wins out. You get the best of the main parks (no AK or Epcot feel of course), easy in/out access, the ability to rent a house with a pool a mile from the gate, the weather, reduced crowds, plus all the other benefits of California over central Florida.WDW is worth the visit, DL is worth the return visits.

• Like 1