tAll Encompassing Disney Thread

Baboontyme

You can pull Fastpasses earlier (60 days vs 30 offsite). You can access character meals 180 days out, not sure what the time frame is without. You get the early morning hours. The free shuttle service from the airport is nice as I don't want to rent a car or worry about Uber/Lyft to get there. To me, it just feels more like a Disney vacation if you stay onsite. 

^^^

Disney extended the 60 day FP+ window to Good Neighbor hotels due to the volume of people making room only reservations, booking their FP+ at 60 day and canceling the Disney room once they were in the 30 day window. 

They are benefits to both on and off property. On property you stay immersed in Disney the whole time. Off property extra space and a second bathroom at value prices are glorious. The traffic around International Dr has gotten so bad I'd never stay in that area. Keep it to the Bonnet Creek properties or off Epcot  Center Dr; Sheraton Vistana Resort, Caribe Royale, Buena Vista Suites. 

If off property look at one member of your party buying an annual pass for free parking and 10% off meals and Disney shopping. 

Interesting. Trying to combat the Baboontynes of this world.

We definitely go off property at Disneyland because there's no real benefit to staying onsite there other than extra Magic hours. Though you get one of those with a 4 day ticket. To me, the convenience of staying onsite outweighs the cost benefit of staying offsite. The shuttles are really handy when it's hot and you want to go back to the hotel for a break and a swim. 

I can't really speak to cost/benefit as our friends booked our Kitani Village stay with points, but it was pretty dang convenient to stay on site.  We'd sweat our asses off all day, take a 10 min bus ride back (Kitani Village), and either immediately jump into the pool or shower.  Food was nearby, no traffic, and the suite in which we stayed had 2 BRs and 3 baths.

We have had no issues with FP reservations staying off site. We’ve been able to get them for all rides for reasonable times. The first time we went we did it the night before each day.

Meal reservations are a little more trouble without the early booking now that you mention it. We end up with times a little outside of normal and some restaraunts never open up. 

I just don’t see the shuttle benefit although the Wyndham has one as well unless you just don’t want a rental. Their parking system is second to none. Pull in, get in a tram, get dropped off at the entrance, when you leave do the opposite. The only park you lose time at is MK because of having to go back out to the main lot. They did increase parking fees so we may rethink it.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:13 PM, skipperj said:

This picture in the article was bothering me until I noticed why. Now it’s annoying the shit out of me.

d2e974acc00b132f2aa3073a5e5fc283.jpg

On that same topic, don't miss a picture of the Friends statute from the side.

Here's the front.

b2cd18db0b917e6cbff5e6096bad15b8.jpg

Here's the side view.

763full.jpg

And definitely get a Dole Whip.

• Haha 1

I've long been an advocate that Disney's transportation sucks, outside of getting to MK, and have a car or mix in cabs/uber.  We have always been rope drop people but fast forward to our kids now being teens, and FP+ reservations, and we are rolling in at 10 instead of 7-8am. I can now say Disney's buses beat having your own car if you're not making rope drop as they have their own entrances. 

We didn't have too big a problem with getting a bus in every morning or afternoon. They ran quite frequently. The beating was having Art of Animation be the last bus stop from the exit at MK so you had a long walk ahead of you to then wait in line to go home. Doubly hard when your tired kids wanted to be carried to the bus stop. It wasn't always the case though. I think at HS it was one of the first couple of stops. That's a very nice aspect of Disneyland's proximity to the hotels. You just leave the parks, walk east and you're back in your hotel in under 10 minutes. 

We have to decide on our trip in 3 days as the 180 days time frame comes up and we'd like to do Cinderella's Castle and Be Our Guest again. 

Stayed at the new Hyatt House on S Harbor at Disneyland two weeks ago. It's a very easy 1/2 mile walk from the gate. They have kid suites with a bunk bed in a separate room which is nice. We usually stay at the Hyatt Regency but it was booked. I must say it was nice not having to worry about the shuttle bus. An extra 10 minute walk is nothing.

One thing I learned is where the Uber drop off location is. I'd never noticed it before but we walked by it every day. It is 150 yards from the entrance. There's no back up to get into the drop off lot at all. I would definitely do this once my youngest is out of a booster seat. 

The Uber lot is circled in red and the entrance to DLR & CA is circled in yellow:

16c8ioh.jpg

On 7/1/2018 at 12:08 PM, mdmost said:

We didn't have too big a problem with getting a bus in every morning or afternoon. They ran quite frequently. The beating was having Art of Animation be the last bus stop from the exit at MK so you had a long walk ahead of you to then wait in line to go home. Doubly hard when your tired kids wanted to be carried to the bus stop. It wasn't always the case though. I think at HS it was one of the first couple of stops. That's a very nice aspect of Disneyland's proximity to the hotels. You just leave the parks, walk east and you're back in your hotel in under 10 minutes. 

We have to decide on our trip in 3 days as the 180 days time frame comes up and we'd like to do Cinderella's Castle and Be Our Guest again. 

The value resorts are the best for buses as they have to provide transportation for thousands of rooms. Moderate and Deluxe aren't so lucky.

Trying to figure out if this is worth it. Work conference next week. My flight arrives in Orlando at 1pm on Friday. I’ll have checked bags. (Golf clubs) I’m staying at the Dolphin, so easy walk or boat ride to Epcot. Is it realistic to expect to be in the park by 3? I’ll uber to hotel. I think they close at 9. Just want to explore the countries in more detail. Every other time I’ve been, it’s with kids, so we did it too fast.

I won’t buy a ticket until I get there in case of delays. Think it would be fun to drink around the world by myself and just check out everything. Won’t do any rides or anything most likely. Might get princess pics.

I don’t have anything to do until Saturday at 5pm, so hangover not an issue.

That's a lot of money to pay to drink around the World but it's not mine so I say have at it. 

Alright, now debating DLR for the week of Christmas or WDW the week of New Years. Wife really wants to see the Christmas decorations. Almost think that makes DLR the winner since there's a lot more they do at DLR. Off to do a spreadsheet. 

That's a lot of money to pay to drink around the World but it's not mine so I say have at it. 

I figure everything else is paid for that week by my company. Friday is really the only free day I will have. Everything else is booked with conference and client/company dinners.

It’s tentative right now and will be a game time decision.

Trying to figure out if this is worth it. Work conference next week. My flight arrives in Orlando at 1pm on Friday. I’ll have checked bags. (Golf clubs) I’m staying at the Dolphin, so easy walk or boat ride to Epcot. Is it realistic to expect to be in the park by 3? I’ll uber to hotel. I think they close at 9. Just want to explore the countries in more detail. Every other time I’ve been, it’s with kids, so we did it too fast.
I won’t buy a ticket until I get there in case of delays. Think it would be fun to drink around the world by myself and just check out everything. Won’t do any rides or anything most likely. Might get princess pics.
I don’t have anything to do until Saturday at 5pm, so hangover not an issue.

Definitely doable. We generally take the first flight from Dallas and land in Orlando around 11:30/12:00 eastern time. We are having lunch at Casey corner by 1:15 - 1:30. It’s 45 minutes if you catch the Disney resort bus to your hotel. Worst case 90 minutes of your bus is pulling out when you hit the line.

Not sure times on baggage claim and Uber to hotel times but it can’t be much worse

You should be drunk some where between Germany and france by 5:00

Actually very jealous. Epcot for adults is very under rated.

Disney springs has some seriously good restaurants too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If my flight gets in on time, I think I’m probably doing it.

Do you suggest hitting up England for a pint as soon as I get then, and then walk over to Mexico via the park, hitting the countries on the way back? Seems like that is a smarter plan than ending in Mexico and having to get all the way back to exit by England.

Edited by skipperj

Definitely doable. We generally take the first flight from Dallas and land in Orlando around 11:30/12:00 eastern time. We are having lunch at Casey corner by 1:15 - 1:30. It’s 45 minutes if you catch the Disney resort bus to your hotel. Worst case 90 minutes of your bus is pulling out when you hit the line.

Not sure times on baggage claim and Uber to hotel times but it can’t be much worse

You should be drunk some where between Germany and france by 5:00

Actually very jealous. Epcot for adults is very under rated.

Disney springs has some seriously good restaurants too.

Almost forgot to add. Had a really good super Tuscan wine at the restaurant in Italy (Tutto itialia). Great food too.

Fish and chips in England for a quick meal was solid

One of the best seats in the whole place is the deck at the Mexican place for fireworks. Food/ drinks are ok, but nowhere near as good as the Mexican place inside There is also a great tequila bar down stairs too.

I will highly recommend the hefeweizen at Biergarten. You can probably get it from the side bar next to the restaurant.

DLR's looking better. Cheaper airfare and hotels. Gets the wife the holiday decorations she's interested in. Only potential drawback is having to be there over Christmas versus after Christmas at WDW. 

Edited by mdmost

13 hours ago, skipperj said:

If my flight gets in on time, I think I’m probably doing it.

Do you suggest hitting up England for a pint as soon as I get then, and then walk over to Mexico via the park, hitting the countries on the way back? Seems like that is a smarter plan than ending in Mexico and having to get all the way back to exit by England.

Mexico to GB is a short walk. Mexico is the first country going clockwise, if you're coming from the front gate, and GB the second when going counter clockwise.

So wife and I are trying to narrow down which days to go to DLR this year. We can go after school lets out for Thanksgiving break (leave on the 16th, come back on the 20th) or go on December 22nd and come back on the 26th. Might be fun to spend Christmas at Disneyland. Those days all had the best flights since they avoid the busy times. I think we're leaning more to the Christmas time trip as we'd get a little more time in the parks. Hotels are the same. We're going to have to at least secure our park tickets by tomorrow as the lady I follow on Facebook had a deal where you get 4 park days for the price of 3 that expires tomorrow. Knocks a little off the price of admission. Looking at staying at the Courtyard by Marriott across the street which has the water slides and bunk beds. 

Edited by mdmost

On 7/3/2018 at 2:15 PM, skipperj said:

I'll be coming in and exiting at the side entrance right by GB, where the boat drops off. I'll start at GB and then do the whole thing clockwise from there, ending up at France and the ext.

I'm trying to tell you there is only 5 minutes difference in walk time to the IG entrance. And I thought I over planned for WDW.

The Unibroue cart in Canada generally has some of the best beer in the WS.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

24 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Awesome Disney people thread!

In 3 weeks I'm taking kids to Disney Land in Anaheim; California Adventure Park and not the old-school Disney Land. Kids did that when they were younger and it was kinda boring.

Already worked out for the family the flights and hotel; any good websites or coupons on procuring discounted tickets or merch or food or whatever else? Anything else to know about the California Adventure Park specifically? 

Staying in a Holiday Inn a block away which is a good neighbor property I believe; should I buy fast passes? What are fast passes, is that like the thing you buy at six flags to cut in line?

Are you only going for one day? How old are the kids? Disneyland has a lot more rides than California Adventure. If they're getting older, they might find Disneyland more enjoyable the 2nd time around. Personally, I can't see going all that way to only go to one of the parks.  You're only going to get a price break on tickets if you go more than one day. 

You don't have to buy Fastpasses but for $10 per ticket per day you can get the Maxpass which allows you to grab Fastpasses on your phone versus having to walk up to a kiosk that dispenses them. 

Go here:

https://disneylanddaily.com/how-to-start-your-day-at-california-adventure/

As far as discounts, if you have a Sam's Club membership, you can buy Disney gift cards that save you a little bit. I think they're $93 for a $100 pack. If you have a Disney Chase Visa credit card, you get a discount if you spend over a certain amount. 

https://disneyrewards.com/vacation-perks/disneyland-perks/

Edited by mdmost

I'm trying to tell you there is only 5 minutes difference in walk time to the IG entrance. And I thought I over planned for WDW.

The Unibroue cart in Canada generally has some of the best beer in the WS.

I ended getting drunk in the hotel lobby bar watching World Cup. Now I’m drinking manhattans in a magician themed bar.

We were thinking of going one day because I have some other engagements that I have to attend to in Anaheim and would only be free to go for a full day one day. What I understand it's a pain for a "single mom" to go to DL because some rides need an adult per kid. Kids are 7 and 9 y.o. and really this trip isn't the highlight, but the prequel to our real vacation in San Diego so it's not like we've spent all our time and energy mapping out how to do Disney.

There’s not one ride other than maybe the big roller coaster and Space Mountain that requires one parent per kid. I have never seen that requirement posted but due to seating arrangement I could see it being preferred. We just went for the 16th time and my 5 yo was now big enough to ride everything. The last height requirement is Indiana Jones at 46”.

Booked our hotel and ticket package for Christmas at DLR. Staying at the Courtyard by Marriott across the street that has the water slides and rooms with a bunk bed for the kids. The Magic Morning will be Christmas morning. Should be fun. Not sure how we're handling Santa. He may have to make some sort of appearance while we're not at home. He damn sure isn't bringing stuff to DLR. 

Edited by mdmost

3 hours ago, skipperj said:

I can see France and Morocco from my hotel room. And a balcony. I assume I’ll have a perfect view of Epcot fireworks.

Note that I stayed too long at the magic bar and missed the fireworks, but I did see some magic kingdom fireworks on the walk back and then I went to Shula’s and had a lot of wine and some scallops and hung out with some people that bought a $120 bottle of wine and were sharing.

6 hours ago, skipperj said:

Why do people look so miserable at the happiest place on earth?

Also, my shirt smells like a stripper named April.

It's July in Central Florida and they didn't plan their fast passes properly. Sure recipe for misery. 

Yes. It's two small parks and they're not very busy. The Walt Disney Studios really is 2 rides you can't get here: Crush's Coaster and Ratatouille. The only other rides worth anything there are Rock N Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror. We spent the bulk of the day at Disneyland Park.

I was fascinated by how much people tend to hate their children at WDW. I blame the high heat and the crowds. 

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I was fascinated by how much people tend to hate their children at WDW. I blame the high heat and the crowds. 

Its a thing all year round too not just the high heat or busy seasons. I think there's a high percentage of parents who didn't want to be there in the first place, didn't plan properly, and didn't realize the final cost of everything.

Its a thing all year round too not just the high heat or busy seasons. I think there's a high percentage of parents who didn't want to be there in the first place, didn't plan properly, and didn't realize the final cost of everything.

I tell everyone it’s $1000-2000 per day for a family of four when budgeting airfare, hotel, tickets, meals, and snacks. It’s a solid estimate.

The difference in our Disneyland trip for Xmas vs. going to WDW around the same time was about $1500. Airfare to Orlando was more expensive, obviously hotels were more, and park tickets were a push. That's not even accounting for food. 

Edited by mdmost

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

Booked our hotel and ticket package for Christmas at DLR. Staying at the Courtyard by Marriott across the street that has the water slides and rooms with a bunk bed for the kids. The Magic Morning will be Christmas morning. Should be fun. Not sure how we're handling Santa. He may have to make some sort of appearance while we're not at home. He damn sure isn't bringing stuff to DLR. 

Amazon delivery to your hotel