tAll Encompassing Disney Thread

Baboontyme

21 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

We'll be at Disney World next week with our 5- and 3-year-old boys. Any last-minute advice (aside from backing out)?

I hope you are able to set realistic expectations about what the days at the parks will really be like.

More than once taking my young children to DL have I spent 30 min in a line only to have them refuse to board due to being "scared".  You are going to spend 40 min waiting for some shitty chicken nuggets that will set you back 12.50 a pop.

That being said there are some great moments when they get off a ride and give you the, "can we do it again?" joyful smile.  Or get their picture taken with Cinderella or.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving for California Saturday to hit Universal on Monday, DisneyLand Wed/Thurs and the Halloween Party Tuesday night. The kids are super excited although we still need to fill some days up with other things. I would rather be at the beach in my own house, but I usually lose these battles. I need to review the Maxpass recommendations this week before we leave.

We survived our trip to Disney World with the 5- and 3-year-olds. Did two days at Magic Kingdom, one at Hollywood Studios, and one at Animal Kingdom. Wife did a good job researching fastpasses, though y'alls suggestions definitely helped as well. Kids really enjoyed the Halloween party at MK, as well as the Star Wars/Jedi training stuff at Hollywood. The photo pass system was also cool, where you could get your picture taken by any of the park photographers, have them scan your armband, and have the photos uploaded to your app, even though it was kinda glitchy. 

Looking forward to a trip years down the road though when they're bigger so I can get a Duff Bear at Moe's at Universal, as well as some blue milk at Mos Eisley Cantina when that opens at Hollywood late next year.

It’s Florida, I think they just play the odds and always show storms in the forecast this time of year. You will likely have late afternoon showers that blow through pretty much every day. Mornings up through mid afternoon are typically nice though.

Just finished up a few days at DisneyLand. After only going to WDW in the past, it was definitely a different experience and a different type of crowd. It was much easier getting around than Orlando and renting a house there was 100% the way to go. We stayed about a mile away and just parked at the Disney lot every day and took the shuttle in.

On 9/20/2018 at 1:06 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

No children?

there are adults that go to Disney without children.  They're called. "WEIRDOS"  Even the Comicon people are like. "Yeah, they're a little frightening" /Gaffigan

Wife has Parkinson's and has never been to DL, so we are going in May, no kids.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 11:44 AM, mdmost said:

My week out forecast shows thunderstorms the entire time we're in Orlando at Universal. I didn't even occur to me when planning the trip that this is technically still hurricane season. 

Some of the best times to go are when a 90 minute storm clears out the parks.  We get compliments from cast members for bringing real rain gear to the parks and taking advantage of the short lines from people seeking refuge from the deluges.

Have to say I’ve shocked myself and really enjoyed Universal Studios Orlando. The theming of the two Harry Potter areas was top notch. The kids loved the interactive wands. The rides at both lands are two of the best I’ve been on. The train ride is a great way to continue the story. All the lands were really well done. Loved Seussland, Comic Strip Land, and Krustyland. The only one that seemed Six Flags like was the stuck in the 90s era Marvel Land, but I get they only have certain rights to the comics and not movies. Volcano Bay was great too. Our hotel was really nice. It was like staying at a nicer Disney resort for less and with more benefits. I don’t know how much we would go back but it was a really enjoyable experience. Maybe when the next HP ride opens or Nintendo Land opens.

Edited by mdmost

It's supposed to go where the Curious George, Animal Actors stage, and Woody Woodpecker areas are now. ET the Ride will stay but the rest if gone. The area was dead when we were there so I don't think it will be a big loss.

Nintendomap.jpeg

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

I'm not sure of the exact 1:1 ratio of the map but I'm thinking this land adds more to the park versus just going on top of an old land. Above ET is the Woody Woodpecker under 30 seconds roller coaster. Donkey Kong Island seems to take that space and the Curious George playground area. The Super Mario ride seems like an added on area that used to be backstage areas. Zelda's Kingdom is where a Barney show was. Again no big loss. Man, the plush revenue will be enormous. 

Really curious what the new HP ride that takes the place of the Dragon Challenge will be. Supposed to be an outdoor coaster.

Edited by mdmost

I'll also chime in that Universal Express is completely worth the $200 extra for the nicer hotel. We blew through so many lines because of it. Only one or two rides did not give us a benefit but that was more because Universal does a virtual line for some rides and the Express just means you don't have to wait to return. You're dumped in the line with other people. The other time was the 2nd time we rode the Gringotts ride but I think something was wrong with the ride at the time. But yeah, most of the time it was walking right on or maybe a 10 minute wait. It was amusing to watch the people giving us dirty looks as we flew right past them. 

One area where Universal was annoying was the lockers that they forced you to use for their rides. The idea is great as you get a free locker to put your stuff in. The problem is these areas all became natural choke points as there wasn't a general area to walk in and walk out. It was all the same so you're trying to get around people trying to get out or you're waiting for a person who can't remember which locker was there. You secure your locker with a thumbprint scan but most people couldn't figure that out. Just not the best design. 

Booked our Christmas trip meals. Going to do another Fantasmic package, this time at River Belle Terrace, on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day, I booked dinner at Carthay Circle. First park day is the 23rd. No meals booked for that. Just planning to hit all the rides in our plan and do quick service meals. Christmas Eve is California Adventure. Christmas Day is just taking it slow since it will be pretty packed. Do some of the things we don't normally like shows and taking in the decorations. 26th is the day we fly out but late in the day. Finish that day with everyone's favorites. 

We had that before when it was Ariel's Grotto and was a World of Color package option. Cafe Orleans was our original Fantasmic package. We did Blue Bayou with Paint the Night which may or may not be back when we are there in December. We liked Carnation Cafe and have that booked for Christmas lunch.

Just over a month away from another trip to WDW, my 15th I think.  Been almost three years since the last one (with a couple stops at Disneyland in the meantime), so looking forward to all the new stuff: Avatar, Toy Story Land, Star Wars land construction.

Staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for the second time.  Dinners booked at Jiko at AKL, Narcoossee's at Grand Floridian, Brown Derby at DHS, and Monsieur Paul at Epcot.

Able to grab fastpasses for the big stuff although couldn't get Slinky Dog coaster (any good?) and Flight of Passage won't be until the same day we leave so schedule could be tight.

Also doing the Keys to the Kingdom tour.

Edited by LonghornSean

• 3 weeks later...

Ha. This is going to be insane. Disney released two videos for the two attractions coming to Star Wars Land. One you pilot the MF. The other is probably a ride similar to the Harry Potter Castle ride. I can't see going to this where it's not wall to wall people till at least Winter 2020. 

And this gives you an idea of how the construction is progressing.

Leaving on 12/2.  Need some confirmation here as I am getting conflicting info.  We have a 5 year old and a 15 mo old.  If we stand in line for a ride the 15 mo old can't ride, can we each ride with our 5 year old separately?  This is wholly unclear to me.  I understood we could from some of the Disney expert folks, but I also see that the official "rider swap" is for the taller kids' rides -- the ones my 5 year old can't do anyway.  We are trying to assess whether we need a "helper" one day or have an all day babysitter for the 15 mo old so we can enjoy more of the older kids rides with my daughter together.  

The one that comes to mind is Slinky Dog ride -- we'd all like to give that a go, but couldn't get a fastpass.  We were going to get there at rope drop one day while we are there.   

On 11/17/2018 at 11:44 AM, mdmost said:

Ha. This is going to be insane. Disney released two videos for the two attractions coming to Star Wars Land. One you pilot the MF. The other is probably a ride similar to the Harry Potter Castle ride. I can't see going to this where it's not wall to wall people till at least Winter 2020. 

And this gives you an idea of how the construction is progressing.

I'm thinking winter 2025.

21 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Leaving on 12/2.  Need some confirmation here as I am getting conflicting info.  We have a 5 year old and a 15 mo old.  If we stand in line for a ride the 15 mo old can't ride, can we each ride with our 5 year old separately?  This is wholly unclear to me.  I understood we could from some of the Disney expert folks, but I also see that the official "rider swap" is for the taller kids' rides -- the ones my 5 year old can't do anyway.  We are trying to assess whether we need a "helper" one day or have an all day babysitter for the 15 mo old so we can enjoy more of the older kids rides with my daughter together.  

The one that comes to mind is Slinky Dog ride -- we'd all like to give that a go, but couldn't get a fastpass.  We were going to get there at rope drop one day while we are there.   

Yes, on each of you getting turn with riding with the 5 year old, assuming he or she meets the height requirements.

We have one experience with neither kid wanting to ride. Older kid rode Tower of Terror with me and did not want to ride it with the wife. Wife waited with younger kid while the initial ride happened with the oldest and me. After we were done, I waited with both kids while the wife rode alone. Rider swap let her ride alone with little waiting. You should be fine according to this. It's more about not breaking up families who might otherwise have to wait for long periods outside the rides the younger ones can't or won't ride.

Rider Switch

This handy feature allows adult Guests to take turns waiting with youngsters or Guests unable to ride. 

What Is Rider Switch and How Does It Work?

If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out!

If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!

Rider Switch is available at select attractions at all 4 Walt Disney World Resort theme parks.

To Use Rider Switch:

1. First check with a Cast member to see if Rider Switch is offered at the attraction in question.

2. Once at the attraction, approach the greeting Cast Member with your entire party. At least one adult member of your party and the Guests who are not riding will be issued a Ride Switch entitlement by the Cast Member and asked to wait in a designated area (usually outside of the attraction). This group is “Party 2.”

3. The other party members (“Party 1”) ride the attraction.

4. After riding the attraction, Party 1 locates Party 2. Then, Party 1 takes over supervision of the non-riding children or Guests.

5. Party 2 enters and boards the attraction without having to wait in the regular queue a second time. The Rider Switch entitlement must be validated by a Cast Member at this time.

If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring up to 2 other Guests back to ride the attraction with him or her. Please note that only 3 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass.

Show Less

Edited by mdmost

Just leaving DLR today. Holiday crowds weren’t too bad this week and weather was perfect. Rented a house for the first time instead of staying at the Hyatt. Uber to and from the park was the way to go. The Uber lot is on Harbor about a minute walk from the ticket booths. There was a huge amount of cars available anytime we needed one and never waited more than two minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

Good trip last Friday-Tuesday.  Pretty crowded for what was supposed to be a somewhat slower early December week.  Really just Magic Kingdom seemed extra crowded but that was on the weekend.

Flight of Passage was pretty damn cool, and crazy how fast that line fills up.  We got there at 8:30 (park open 9:00) went straight into the FoP line and it was still an hour til we walked off the ride (which is what the posted wait time said).  Did it a second time with FP later.  Overall, Pandora area was really cool.  I actually liked it better during the day.  The animatronic character on the Na'vi River journey is pretty incredible too.

Toy Story Land is fantastic as well and Slinky Dog Dash is a great ride.  Seeing the level of detail at Toy Story Land and Pandora really makes me excited for Star Wars land (insane crowds not withstanding).  It's going to be amazing.

Keys to the Kingdom tour was so-so.  We'd been on that and other tours before so of course a lot of info was stuff we had already heard.  Cool to go backstage and into the Utilidor down below Magic Kingdom, but I feel like the tour relies a lot on the tour guide and questions from the group.  Our guide was fine but thought herself quite the comedian and dragged her personal stories on a bit.  It was also very chilly that morning so standing around a lot listening to a guide instead of walking around made it seem extra cold.

Dinners at Jiko and Monsieur Paul were excellent.  Prime Time 50's Diner is always fun, I loved the waitresses saying "No walkie-talkies" (cell phones) at the table.

Not sure when our next trip will be but man there's a lot to be excited about in the future: Star Wars land, Guardians ride at Epcot, Ratatouille ride at Epcot, Tron at MK, Mickey and Minnie ride at DHS.

Was there Dec 2nd through 7th.  Stayed at Contemporary Bay Lake Tower, which was nails given we had a 15 mo old and needed to get back quickly at times.  And being able to watch the fireworks each night without being in the crowd was great.

The wife and I appreciated the increase in the amount of adult beverage options throughout the parks, and especially MK (good craft brew, too).  That said, we can walk around the park at Epcot with a drink, but not MK?  Seems weird that they can't get the same licenses for each park.

I am officially over the character buffets.  The quality of the food and the overall experience is so much better at the sit down restaurants.  We'll go to one next time to keep kids happy, but it really is the least enjoyable part of the trip, and frankly, not worth the stress of making, and then scrambling to, the reservation.

Rider swap is awesome as noted above, especially when the older kiddo gets to ride twice. 

The Christmas parade during Mickey's Holiday Party is really good.  I usually am first to roll my eyes at that type of stuff, but it was well done.  

Finally, Minnie Van service through Lyft was so choice.  If you have the means, I highly recommend picking a few up during your stay when you have tight timelines or just missed a bus.

33 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Was there Dec 2nd through 7th.  Stayed at Contemporary Bay Lake Tower, which was nails given we had a 15 mo old and needed to get back quickly at times.  And being able to watch the fireworks each night without being in the crowd was great.

The wife and I appreciated the increase in the amount of adult beverage options throughout the parks, and especially MK (good craft brew, too).  That said, we can walk around the park at Epcot with a drink, but not MK?  Seems weird that they can't get the same licenses for each park.

I am officially over the character buffets.  The quality of the food and the overall experience is so much better at the sit down restaurants.  We'll go to one next time to keep kids happy, but it really is the least enjoyable part of the trip, and frankly, not worth the stress of making, and then scrambling to, the reservation.

Rider swap is awesome as noted above, especially when the older kiddo gets to ride twice. 

The Christmas parade during Mickey's Holiday Party is really good.  I usually am first to roll my eyes at that type of stuff, but it was well done.  

Finally, Minnie Van service through Lyft was so choice.  If you have the means, I highly recommend picking a few up during your stay when you have tight timelines or just missed a bus.

I don't think it's a licensing issue, but rather a deliberate choice.

More about keeping MK as more family friendly (though you can get beer and wine with your dinner at Be Our Guest and Tony's) than Epcot which is more geared for adults.

At Disneyland Resort, you can only drink at California Adventure and Downtown Disney. There are no alcoholic beverages at Disneyland Park except for the private club, Club 33. That will change with the new cantina in Star Wars Land but that will probably be it. Goes back to Walt not wanting alcohol in his park. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

More about keeping MK as more family friendly (though you can get beer and wine with your dinner at Be Our Guest and Tony's) than Epcot which is more geared for adults.

At Disneyland Resort, you can only drink at California Adventure and Downtown Disney. There are no alcoholic beverages at Disneyland Park except for the private club, Club 33. That will change with the new cantina in Star Wars Land but that will probably be it. Goes back to Walt not wanting alcohol in his park. 

Every restaurant we went to from Crystal Palace to Plaza to Jungle Canteen had drinks. Cinderella’s castle had La Fin du Monde. My son spilled my half finished one and they brought a new one for free.  All of this was clearly new, but welcomed. 

On 12/18/2018 at 3:35 PM, SimonBolivar said:

I don't think it's a licensing issue, but rather a deliberate choice.

Correct. Walt wanted kids to have a day with adults drinking.  Selling alcohol at a table service restaurants in MK started in the last couple of years.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Man isn’t complaining. Making an observation. We rode everything we wanted because we planned well and took breaks when it got busy and set up Maxpasses for our evening return or did easy things that didn’t involve rides. We spread the trip over 3 full days and till 2pm today and it was great. There was nothing we didn’t get to and we never felt rushed. We also start earlier than most when the parks are less busy. The mornings were great. Around 2pm is when it starts to suck.

That park though has way too many people in too small of areas with too many scooters and strollers. It’s the limitation of its size. It was never meant for this many people. It was like that October 2017 when we last went and the crowd was certainly not as large. It is very narrow with a lot of choke points where the staff doesn’t do a good enough job keeping things flowing smoothly.

It would be nice if they’d consider a 3rd gate especially with Star Wars Land. And actually, Presidents Day and MLK are supposedly busier when they actually shut the parks down to new people at a certain point. 

Edited by mdmost

I'm busting your chops a bit. I'm more familiar with WDW were 12/23- 1/2 is the busiest time of the year and MK often closes for capacity on X-mas and NYE.  Didn't stop us from going at that time last year. As you say with a plan, FPs, and dining reservations you can still have an enjoyable time. Would never recommend that week for anyone's first time.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

I took my kids to DL on the days between Christmas and New Year's once.  Once.

No exaggeration that it was so crowded you couldn't get between New Orleans Square and Frontierland.  Wall to fucking wall.

We have done early December and that is MUCH more my speed.  Still gets busy, but nothing like above.

Caught some glimpse of the Star Wars Land construction from Big Thunder Mountain and the Tarzan Treehouse. That place is going to be so kickass, bros. We're not going back till a good 6-12 months after that thing opens because you'll need at least a day or 2 to go through it. I read that the wait time for the Millenium Falcon ride will be 6 hours the first day it opens. Here's a video that came out on Christmas Day about it.

• Like 1

Hit knots berry farm today. So worth it. Much cheaper than Disney, better rides if your kids are 10+ years old, and their fast lane pass gets you unlimited front of line service. They had 36k people in the park today. The wait for the big wooden coaster (ghost rider) was 2 hours 43 minutes. We rode it twice in 15 minutes. We rode everything we wanted to ride, many of them twice in about 4 hours.  What a great park and experience. The rides are really good.