What song are you learning to play?

Superhero

Don’t know how this Jimmy Page / Robert Plant album ever slipped by, but I finally listened to Walking into Clarksdale from beginning to end. I love the song While The World Was Young. Real catchy, and it doesn’t have a solo. I found the tablature online, but some parts are transcribed pretty poorly, so fiddled around until I found a way to play it easier.

Now onto the Comfortable Numb second solo...

• Like 1

Waiting until I have something interesting to add.  Right now I'm learning my scales, transferring the notes on the staff to my fingers (Old violin player learning that I have to skip a finger when playing the next natural note is tripping me up a little), and working on techniques like chord transitions, hammer-ons, slurs, and pull-offs.

I've pretty much nailed Ode to Joy though.

Edited by TexasEd

I was briefly trying to do a song a week.  Not anything crazy, just spend half an hour picking up the changes of a new song every week to gradually expand the library of songs I noodle around on.  I did Townes' version of Dead Flowers, April (Simon and Garfunkel), New York (Ryan Adams).  I was thinking about starting a thread to keep myself accountable.  Maybe I'll do that here, could be fun.  Here's April from a few weeks back, I'll have to think of something for this week

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 1:00 PM, Celery Man said:

I was briefly trying to do a song a week.  Not anything crazy, just spend half an hour picking up the changes of a new song every week to gradually expand the library of songs I noodle around on.  I did Townes' version of Dead Flowers, April (Simon and Garfunkel), New York (Ryan Adams).  I was thinking about starting a thread to keep myself accountable.  Maybe I'll do that here, could be fun.  Here's April from a few weeks back, I'll have to think of something for this week

Chords are easy but you did a great job on the nuance of the picking. Sounded really clean.

On 7/6/2018 at 11:48 PM, NoRagrets said:

Solo to running down a dream.

i consider myself a pretty good lead, but that shit where he's bending two strings at once is hard as F.

Which part is that?   I used to do that solo in my band and don't remember bending two strings at once.   But maybe I was doing it wrong. 

• 3 months later...

Been also doing TVZ version of Dead Flowers, having fun with the double base line rambling picking version of Freight Train.  Then the Fleetwood Mac thread had me trying out some acoustic version of Tusk.  (!)  The singing part is damn fun, but irritates the hell out of the wife.

From the posts above, I think Baby Please Don't Go is next.

Strangely Gary Rossington’s rhythm part to Sweet Home Alabama. Though simply in theory, extremely difficult to get exactly right.

Word is Ed King wouldn’t even let it be filmed when they produced the latest Documentary on Skynyrd. When he told His version of the songs birth, he quickly strums Gary’s part off camera before dropping his own iconical opening lick.

Been fiddling around with a lot of Ryan Adams stuff lately.  His songs are often that nice mix of cowboy chords with a little bit of nuance (walk up here, hold the G on this chord and then go to this version of the G chord, pick it out in this order, etc) to make interesting.  Lucky Now was playing in the background of something or other on TV the other day so I picked that one out.

This is a Townes song that has been fun to learn, and I think a good one for doing the melodic chord thing (moving between chords and picking a melody as you strum).  Song kicks off at 1 minute after the corny joke that Jerry Jeff Walker told him.  capo 2nd fret, starts on Am, C, Dm, Em, Em/G).  Unfortunately I don't think I will ever be able to sing along.

Edited by Celery Man

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Longish trip back Thursday from HOU via ATL to MLB.  Riding south on US1 about midnight listening to Deep Tracks, up came Neil Young's Sugar Mountain, the live version from the live Rust album circa 1978.  The combination of his voice, for once in fine form, and the superbly gently embellished simple acoustic guitar was near perfect.  I'd heard this song a million times but was never entranced like this.  Two days later I have the instrumental down ok but a bad cold prevents any singing for now.

On 11/18/2018 at 11:40 AM, Celery Man said:

Been fiddling around with a lot of Ryan Adams stuff lately.  His songs are often that nice mix of cowboy chords with a little bit of nuance (walk up here, hold the G on this chord and then go to this version of the G chord, pick it out in this order, etc) to make interesting.  Lucky Now was playing in the background of something or other on TV the other day so I picked that one out.

This is a Townes song that has been fun to learn, and I think a good one for doing the melodic chord thing (moving between chords and picking a melody as you strum).  Song kicks off at 1 minute after the corny joke that Jerry Jeff Walker told him.  capo 2nd fret, starts on Am, C, Dm, Em, Em/G).  Unfortunately I don't think I will ever be able to sing along.

Had this double LP way back when, in the first incarnation of learning.  Loved doing this song.  Pancho and Lefty, Tecumseh Valley, and who can forget the Golden Ships of Andilar?

Longish trip back Thursday from HOU via ATL to MLB.  Riding south on US1 about midnight listening to Deep Tracks, up came Neil Young's Sugar Mountain, the live version from the live Rust album circa 1978.  The combination of his voice, for once in fine form, and the superbly gently embellished simple acoustic guitar was near perfect.  I'd heard this song a million times but was never entranced like this.  Two days later I have the instrumental down ok but a bad cold prevents any singing for now.

I love that Deep Tracks station as well as Classic Vinyl.

Drummer (old college buddy) is throwing a 50th bday party for his wife and 18th for the daughter (no pics).  We're going to be one of two bands playing.  He picked a bunch of Dead songs to learn, because these two particular ladies love them some Dead.  Trying to learn this bass line.  Goddam, Phil Lesh bass lines are busy.

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Drummer (old college buddy) is throwing a 50th bday party for his wife and 18th for the daughter (no pics).  We're going to be one of two bands playing.  He picked a bunch of Dead songs to learn, because these two particular ladies love them some Dead.  Trying to learn this bass line.  Goddam, Phil Lesh bass lines are busy.

Which songs are y'all doing?  Let me know if any questions come up for guitar or about key, etc.   I've been doing nothing but learning 60+ Dead songs for the past year, so I might be able to help.   If you need guitar tabs, jdarks is by far the best, though I haven't looked for bass stuff:   http://jdarks.com/GDTab.html

Edited by Mojo Hand

I'm playing bass on this gig.  Here's the GD set list:

Cold Rain and Snow (2/78) - I have the groove pretty good, but some of the changes strike me as a little odd timing wise

They Love Each Other 

Standing on the Moon (this may be the easiest song on bass ever.  Unless I can think of one with just two notes instead of three.)

Tennessee Jed (solo structure is a little weird, but okay).

Touch of Grey as mentioned.

Thanks for the link!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...