Int'l rescue effort closes in on soccer team trapped for 9 days in a flooded Thai cave

clapclapclap

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

... aaaaannd Elon just keeps digging that hole deeper... now bordering on neurotic batshit crazy.  Elon, you're a fucking douchebag, you know.

My God he’s unhinged right now.    That’s even worse than the Q1 conference call which I didn’t think was possible 

Watched the Thai Cave Rescue special on the Discovery channel last night. Pretty good shit. The effort and number of rescuers in the cave during the actual rescue was impressive. There were something like 90 rescuers stationed along the nearly two mile distance and they pretty much new every section like the back of their hand by the time the rescue commenced. They had spare masks and etc at dry points incase of equipment problems. The kids were given mild sedation to counter possible anxiety issues.

As for Elon Musk, experts noted that the guy just had no idea what the cave system was like. They estimated that the contraption would have only made it in a few meters.

i like how everyone keeps referring to this contraption as a sub.  which implies some sort of functional capability.

it is instead literally a bottle with a tank and diving weights strapped to it.

11xp-musk-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto

elon-musk-submarine-thai-boys-twitter_62

i guess they should get credit for routing a regulator line inside without it leaking.

Edited by 52-80

18 hours ago, phdhorn said:

... aaaaannd Elon just keeps digging that hole deeper... now bordering on neurotic batshit crazy.  Elon, you're a fucking douchebag, you know.

not pedo guy talking about suing Twitter bully

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44846945

A British cave diver who helped rescue 12 Thai boys from deep within a cave has said he is considering suing tech entrepreneur Elon Musk.

In now-deleted tweets, Mr Musk had called Vern Unsworth a "pedo guy" after the cave expert ridiculed a mini-submarine built by Mr Musk for the rescue effort as a "PR stunt".

Mr Unsworth told reporters on Monday that he was considering legal action.

"It's not finished," he told Australian network Channel 7.

Thailand-based Mr Unsworth's knowledge of the cave complex is said to have played a key role in the rescue effort. He travelled into the caves in the first days after the boys went missing and helped bring in top international cave rescue experts for the mission.

Edited by Wally Fairway

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i like how everyone keeps referring to this contraption as a sub.  which implies some sort of functional capability.

I think they were just playing fast and loose with the term. I mean, the thing is submersible, so he wan't way out of bounds.

30 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I think they were just playing fast and loose with the term. I mean, the thing is submersible, so he wan't way out of bounds.

Held together with C clamps.  I mean it's not like duct tape or some shit.

• 3 weeks later...

xSgCOFIR_o.png

Weeks after their dramatic rescue from a cave in northern Thailand, young members of a Thai soccer team were ordained as novice Buddhist monks

Eleven players on the Wild Boars soccer team had their heads shaved, donned simple white robes and offered prayers at a temple in Chiang Rai province.

The boys joined local temples as novices for nine days to give thanks for their safety and to honor a volunteer diver who died during the long rescue effort. Their time in the temples will include meditating, praying, and performing charitable deeds. The Wild Boars team members lit candles and placed sweet drinks and fruit in front of Buddhist statues. Hundreds of well-wishers attended the ceremonies, which were broadcast live by local authorities.

The boys’ 25-year-old coach, Ekapol Chanthawong, will be ordained as a monk since he has already lived as a Buddhist novice for a decade.

“They should spend time in a monastery. It’s for their protection,” Seewad Sompiangjai, grandfather of one of the boys, told the BBC. “It’s like they died but now have been reborn.” 

One of the 12 members of the team, 14-year-old Adul Sam-on, is not participating in the ordination activities because he is Christian. The teen is reportedly attending a church to perform a separate thanksgiving ceremony. 

The team became trapped by floods inside the Tham Luang Nang Non cave in northern Thailand on June 23. Chanthawong and his players, ranging in age from 11 to 16, remained in the cave for over two weeks while an international team of experts planned their rescue.

The complex operation, which captivated many around the world, ended on July 10. Team members were taken to a local hospital and released to their homes last Wednesday. 

Chanthawong reportedly tried to keep his team calm during the long ordeal by teaching them meditation techniques.

Chiang Rai Gov. Parchon Pratsakul told the AP that the players’ mental and physical health is slowly improving. The government has imposed a temporary ban on media speaking to the boys. Violators of the ban could face prosecution under Thailand’s child protection laws. 

It’s common for males in Thailand, where the dominant religion is Theravada Buddhism, to join a local monastery at some point in their lives. Buddhist families believe the practice helps them accumulate merit and generate good karma, which helps people on the road to enlightenment.

The rescued boys plan to dedicate the merit they achieve by temporarily entering monkhood to Samarn Gunan, the 38-year-old former Thai navy SEAL who died on July 5 while trying to deliver oxygen tanks to the cave. In Thai culture, getting ordained in honor of a loved one is of the biggest tributes a Buddhist can offer.

• 1 year later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/12/28/thai-rescue-diver-dies-infection-contracted-while-saving-soccer-team-flooded-cave/

Thai rescue diver dies from infection contracted while saving soccer team from flooded cave

A year and a half after a youth soccer team was rescued from a flooded cave in Thailand during a harrowing and dangerous mission, one of the divers who helped save lives has died of an infection he contracted during the operation.

Petty Officer 1st Class Beirut Pakbara was receiving treatment for the infection, but his condition worsened when it spread to his bloodstream, according to a Facebook post from the Royal Thai Navy. He died this week and was buried Friday at the Talosai mosque in the Langu district of the Satun province, reported the Bangkok Post.

A Royal Thai Navy spokesman told the Bangkok Post that Beirut will be posthumously promoted to the rank of lieutenant. (snip)

• Rage+1 1

• 2 years later...

Scrolling through this ancient thread because it got bumped. Forgot what a clown Elon made of himself on this deal.

Loved this absolute gem from @Brisketexan though:

On 7/10/2018 at 2:34 PM, Brisketexan said:

It won’t. Read Sebastian Junger’s “Tribe.” We unify in crisis....and then go back to our shitty selves.

Lol. Oh you sweet summer child, 2018 Brisket. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

One of the 12 miracle boys who survived nearly three weeks trapped in a cave in Thailand in 2018 has died at a soccer academy in the United Kingdom. His cause of death has been deemed an “accident” tied to a head injury, according to the BBC.

Authorities have not confirmed whether it happened on or off the soccer pitch.

Duangpetch Promthep, 18, known to his friends as Dom, became the public face as captain of the Wild Boar boys’ soccer team after their miraculous rescue from a flooded cave on June 23, 2018. He announced in August 2022 that he had been accepted to the Brooke House College Football Academy in Leicestershire, writing on social media, “Today my dream has come true. I will be a football student in Britain. I am grateful to everyone that helped with the scholarship to study overseas. I promise I will study hard and do my best.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/captain-soccer-team-famous-thai-101458347.html

On 7/16/2018 at 8:40 AM, 52-80 said:

it is instead literally a bottle with a tank and diving weights strapped to it.

11xp-musk-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto

elon-musk-submarine-thai-boys-twitter_62

i guess they should get credit for routing a regulator line inside without it leaking.

Can't wait to see this guy's hyperloop.