Int'l rescue effort closes in on soccer team trapped for 9 days in a flooded Thai cave

clapclapclap

16 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

They were Chilean miners...ive never been in a true "cave". The Chilean miners cemented that Ill never step in a cave and this just confirms it. 3-4 months? Cant imagine the smell 

I imagine with the lack of food, they probably stopped passing gas a while ago.  

Edited by Shmitty

On 7/3/2018 at 4:44 PM, Parliament said:

So how did these kids get in there in the 1st place? Is there a bigger, straighter passage way deeper?

You ever play with those Chinese finger traps?  it's like that.

Oh well, until those kids could be rescued, we just gotta send our love down the cave

• Like 1

What are these kids, 12 years old?

Even in the best of circumstances, with a perfect dive student, how are you going to keep a 12 yo calm and focused in a dark 0 vis 4 hour cave dive with current?

you'll be thinking you’re scuba Steve for the first 20 minutes and then the kid will have his mask flood or drop the regulator.  He’ll cling on to you like a spider monkey and not let go.  

Then what?  You gonna whisper some sweet words to him?  Tell him he’s only got 3:40 left to go?

scratch him a note that says “stop fucking around.”

drag his dead body back into the hole and tell the other 11 they’re next?

kid gets in 0 vis and gets vertigo - pukes pad Thai through his regulator?  Ain’t nobody got time for that.

i predict there is 0 chance they dive these kids out 1 at a time.

if they’re able to live in the hole - no way you can risk the dives.  You wait.

• Like 3

The articles I've read on this have been a bit vague on the details and options. My understanding is they could wait several months for the rainy season to end and the water levels to hopefully drop. If they get more heavy rains during that time, is there also a possibility of the water levels rising and flooding the area they are currently trapped in?

For realz?

Thailand cave rescue: Volunteers inadvertently pumped water back into tunnels

Kim Hjelmgaard and John Bacon, USA TODAYPublished 12:46 a.m. ET July 5, 2018 | Updated 10:49 a.m. ET July 5, 2018

The race to drain water from a flooded Thailand cave so a young soccer team can be extracted before monsoon rains suffered a setback Thursday when volunteers inadvertently pumped water back into the watery prison.

Operation commander Narongsak Osatanakorn said overzealous volunteers working on their own arrived on site and began pumping water into the ground, forcing it back into the partially flooded Tham Luang Nang Non cave in northern Thailand 

"They may have some belief that their techniques are effective for groundwater drainage, but anything that is not in the plan must be discussed with us first," Narongsak told Thai media. "We are racing against water (that is) flowing into the cave although we have plugged its channels."

The volunteers were corrected, and Poonsak Woongsatngiem, an official from Thailand’s interior ministry, told the Guardian that the water had been reduced by 40% in the last few days, clearing a one-mile stretch of cave the boys would need to cross. The boys are about 2.5 miles from the cave entrance.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/07/05/thailand-cave-race-drain-water-caverns-before-new-rains-arrive/758692002/

mqdefault.jpg

9 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

The volunteers were corrected, and Poonsak Woongsatngiem, an official from Thailand’s interior ministry, told the Guardian that the water had been reduced by 40% in the last few days, clearing a one-mile stretch of cave the boys would need to cross.

I have faith in Poonsak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Stuck in a flooded cave seems the perfect punishment for anyone who picked soccer. 

They probably could just stand up and walk out...

I just can’t imagine being a kid trying to make a 4 hr cave dive when you can’t even fucking swim. No fucking way. I took a scuba class at UT one semester and practicing taking your mask off and breathing took a lot to calm yourself down because it’s totally unnatural to breathe when there’s water against your face like that. I can’t imagine being in a zero visibility cave in a tight surrounding and losing your mask or something. 

I just don’t see how all the kids make it out alive trying to dive. 

8 hours ago, LongestHorn said:

They won't suffocate because there is an airhole somewhere.  They're searching for it now, hoping it may be an alternative exit.  

If they can get more power and pumps up there, they can walk them out.  But the rains won't wait.  It's terrifying.

Oxygen levels are down 15%.  They are thinking about how to get a 3 mile oxygen pipeline in there to the boys.  Keeps getting worse.

5 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I was under the impression they took shelter in the cave to get out of the rain, then the rising water kept driving them farther into the cave.

Sort of, but not exactly, from what I've read.  The cave has signs warning people not to go in during monsoon season, plus around that area it's well-known that going in during the rainy season is tantamount to a death sentence.  But apparently it's a "dare" thing for young kids, who apparently go into the entrance to the other side of the large opening and put their names on the wall or otherwise show they went to the "back" of the opening chamber, then back out.  It's kind of an initiation thing.

So they were doing that (apparently) but a flood blocked the entrance and they were forced back into the cave.  But it wasn't because they happened to take shelter - they purposely ignored the warnings and local advice and did it on purpose.  So where the fuck was the coach during all of that?

21 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Sort of, but not exactly, from what I've read.  The cave has signs warning people not to go in during monsoon season, plus around that area it's well-known that going in during the rainy season is tantamount to a death sentence.  But apparently it's a "dare" thing for young kids, who apparently go into the entrance to the other side of the large opening and put their names on the wall or otherwise show they went to the "back" of the opening chamber, then back out.  It's kind of an initiation thing.

So they were doing that (apparently) but a flood blocked the entrance and they were forced back into the cave.  But it wasn't because they happened to take shelter - they purposely ignored the warnings and local advice and did it on purpose.  So where the fuck was the coach during all of that?

putting his name on the back wall