Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

I was introduced to spam as a kid in the 60's and thought the fried spam sandwich my mom served me was great. I asked her if we could have this more often and she said nope. My dad hated the stuff since he had to eat so much of it when he was in WWII.

• Hook 'Em 1

/csb alert

All the Spam talk is making Al nostalgic.  Little Al was taken to the first few Spamarama events in Austin back in the day.  Al's Mom wanted her children steeped in the Austin culture long before it became a thing, as a transplant from New England, she was ahead of her time and we did all things Austin and free.   Spam was also not allowed in Case de Czervik because it was considered food for the poors, so the Spam experience was limited to Spamarama or the occasional friends house that served it, nonetheless it has great memories.  Fun fact, we were the poors.

/csb

• Like 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

goddamn I’m gonna have to grab some spam next time I’m at heb.  never tried the stuff. 

Slice it long way for the big patty. Give it a good browning on both side. Plain is hard to beat but the habanero flavor is excellent.

Contrary to popular conception, Spam ain't cheap. But if you want some salty pork goodness, it's great.

Uberthin and crispy Spam is crack.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

All this talk of canned meat, what about deviled ham?  My mother sometimes gave that to us smeared on crackers.  I don’t know if this is poor folks food or not.  I recall salty AF though. 

Po people food fo sure. Working poor to be exact.

Homesick Texan has a homemade version on her website. It’s really good.

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

My mother in law makes a chopped Spam salad, like a ham salad or tuna salad but with Spam instead.  It tastes like poverty, and is delicious.

We do this with Spam and bologna as well. Run it through the grinder with the coarse blades, add chopped onions and sweet pickle relish. Add cumin and lots of celery seed. mix it all with your choice of glue, I prefer Miracle Whip but mayo or Ranch dressing are acceptable too. I like to open a home grown mater and put a big scoop of this in the middle. Makes a great lunch.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Shoxthemonkey said:

We do this with Spam and bologna as well. Run it through the grinder with the coarse blades, add chopped onions and sweet pickle relish. Add cumin and lots of celery seed. mix it all with your choice of glue, I prefer Miracle Whip but mayo or Ranch dressing are acceptable too. I like to open a home grown mater and put a big scoop of this in the middle. Makes a great lunch.

Yup, she has a grinder for the sole purpose of making Spam salad, never uses it otherwise.

12 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I bought my wife a food processor years ago but she insists on clamping her grandma's old crank grinder to the edge of the countertop and whaling away on just about anything.  Says the texture is so much better. Whatever, it's delicious.

She's not wrong. Food processor =/= grinder.

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

jZtDCn.gif

And.....I'd probably eat that.  I mean, not like a roast chicken or anything, but bet you can make a decent pot of soup with it.

Never eaten the canned whole bird, but I've eaten several times my body weight in Sweet Sue Chicken and Dumplings. They are by far the bestest canned C&D you'll find. No survival bag should be without some.

sweet-sue-chicken-dumplings-000129304.jp

• Hook 'Em 1