Hey Steel Shank!

I like plenty of pickles on my bbq sammich, just like Shank.

I like fried pickle chips -- they're one crispy bite.  Can be dipped and eaten entirely, instead of taking a bit of a spear, and hoping the crispy breading doesn't all fall off, and then you can't dip it again because you already took a bite.

I like just a good kosher pickle spear, too.  Back when Katz's was around, and they brought you the little bucket of pickles?  That was awesome.  3:00 a.m., shithammered, eat a couple of pickle spears dipped in some spicy mustard to get your electrolytes back in balance, that was the stuff.

Pickled jalapenos?  Awesome.

Pickled okra?  Glorious.

I celebrate the pickle catalog.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I like fried pickle chips -- they're one crispy bite.  Can be dipped and eaten entirely, instead of taking a bit of a spear, and hoping the crispy breading doesn't all fall off, and then you can't dip it again because you already took a bite.

I like just a good kosher pickle spear, too.  Back when Katz's was around, and they brought you the little bucket of pickles?  That was awesome.  3:00 a.m., shithammered, eat a couple of pickle spears dipped in some spicy mustard to get your electrolytes back in balance, that was the stuff.

Pickled okra?  Glorious.

Exactly, this is a bad spear, and in that case chips win every time. Good spear blows chips out.

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Slices. Anyone that prefers spears is a commie neer do well. Probably Irish. 

I'm team chips. Fight me. 

I grow cucumbers every summer just to make pickles. My plants finally got destroyed by the heat a few weeks ago and stopped producing. So i picked up half a dozen kirbys at HEB yesterday and will quick-brine those bitches tonight. Nothing better than homemade pickles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Pickled okra?  Glorious.

Just turned my boy on to pickled beets. Beet lovers are the chosen ones.

1 minute ago, Steel Shank said:

Man....pickled beets are at the bottom of my pickled foods I love chart.  I still eat em, though.

Know what's AWESOME, and give you the best farts?

il_794xN.2398069231_azsv.jpg

I like to make my own -- use some leftover jalapeno brine, add some zatarain's seasoning, maybe some Crystal hot sauce and some crushed garlic....have a few with a beer.....and listen to the wife complain.

3 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

But I’m Irish all the way back to County Clare and I prefer chips!  Also, jalapeño chips are better—but easy to overdo.

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I'm team chips. Fight me. 

I grow cucumbers every summer just to make pickles. My plants finally got destroyed by the heat a few weeks ago and stopped producing. So i picked up half a dozen kirbys at HEB yesterday and will quick-brine those bitches tonight. Nothing better than homemade pickles. 

Yeah chips/slices are analogous. Meant the alternative to spears.

3 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

My Granny made the greatest pickled beets on planet earth. But to be fair she made the greatest everything.

I'm Team spears, but chips and planks have a special purpose.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RPM said:

My Granny made the greatest pickled beets on planet earth. But to be fair she made the greatest everything.

I'm Team spears, but chips and planks have a special purpose.

Well now heres an intriguing compromise I have never considered or encountered. 

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Man....pickled beets are at the bottom of my pickled foods I love chart.  I still eat em, though.

Know what's AWESOME, and give you the best farts?

il_794xN.2398069231_azsv.jpg

I like to make my own -- use some leftover jalapeno brine, add some zatarain's seasoning, maybe some Crystal hot sauce and some crushed garlic....have a few with a beer.....and listen to the wife complain.

Used to buy pickled quail eggs in Baja all the time.  So damned good.

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Those were the worst smelling thing my father ate. Just absolutely noxious when you crack that can. I know for a fact that my current self would absolutely be in to them, I eat canned fish of all kinds, but my past self has been holding me back.

Smoked oysters, Hank. Do it. Saltines with hot sauce, fire away.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Those were the worst smelling thing my father ate. Just absolutely noxious when you crack that can. I know for a fact that my current self would absolutely be in to them, I eat canned fish of all kinds, but my past self has been holding me back.

The only thing you have to fear, Hank, is fear itself.

• Hook 'Em 1

team spear.  most chips are skinny hamburger chips.  which are good when piled on a burger, not good as friend pickles b/c you can barely taste the pickle.  good dog here in houston fries pickle planks which are pretty good. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2