Hey Steel Shank!

3 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

@BabaYaga That sounds kickass.

It's god damn delicious.  Basically replaced briskets in the house and the kids always wanted chopped brisket for sandwiches.  They fiend for those HI rolls.  We always have a pack or two in the house.  For chopped, this is better.  It's like a brisket and a pot roast had a kid.  The bark and saltiness of the brisket but the texture and taste of a pot roast.  

Anyway, this is about as hard as smoking a small pork butt.  Cooks in 6+ hours, really, really hard to screw up, cheap, and one chuck is perfect for a small gathering.  Also damn good on tacos the next day.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It's god damn delicious.  Basically replaced briskets in the house and the kids always wanted chopped brisket for sandwiches.  They fiend for those HI rolls.  We always have a pack or two in the house.  For chopped, this is better.  It's like a brisket and a pot roast had a kid.  The bark and saltiness of the brisket but the texture and taste of a pot roast.  

Anyway, this is about as hard as smoking a small pork butt.  Cooks in 6+ hours, really, really hard to screw up, cheap, and one chuck is perfect for a small gathering.  Also damn good on tacos the next day.  

You get a gold star for the day, muthafucka!!

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting approach on the roast.....when you say that you smoke it for another 3 hours  in the foil covered pan, it's fully covered and not getting any more smoke, right?  Couldn't you just do that phase in the oven, where you have easier precise temp control?

Either way....may give this a shot.

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

I can tell you right now that hatch chili beef broth is going to send me straight into the shart thread. And I can't fucking wait.

I save what I don't pour back over the shredded chuck.  Shit's phenomenal as a broth for all kids of other stuff.  

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You can, but the smoker is already going so I just pan, foil, and keep on going.  Plus, the longer I'm outside "tending the fire", the more I'm drinking and NOT having to fuck around with the endless list of shit the rib wants me to work on.

Come on people.  Please tell me your wives haven't caught on that ceramic eggs and pellet smokers don't need to be "tended" like stick burners.  

fuckin a

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.

• Season and smoke as you would a brisket for about 3-4 hours
  • Then ddd to foil pan.  I add a rough cut onion and diced hatch chilis and a cup or so of beef broth and cover with foil
  • Smoke for another 3 hours +/- until it gets to around 200+
  • Pour out the broth/onin/pepper juices into another bowl to save
  • Chuck shreds like pulled pork, then put back over how ever much of the broth and peppers you want.

Served with those Hawaiin roles, diced pickles and onions, makes the best sandwiches.  I like it better than chopped brisket for sandwiches and it cooks in half the time for a fraction of the cost.  Every time I make it the kids and guests devour.  

Smoked chuck4.jpg

You sonuvabitch. Next week is my last week working from home before everyone is back at the office. This is going to be my lunch all week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

You can, but the smoker is already going so I just pan, foil, and keep on going.  Plus, the longer I'm outside "tending the fire", the more I'm drinking and NOT having to fuck around with the endless list of shit the rib wants me to work on.

Come on people.  Please tell me your wives haven't caught on that ceramic eggs and pellet smokers don't need to be "tended" like stick burners.  

YARN | God damn it, Gump! You're a goddamn genius! | Forrest Gump (1994) |  Video gifs by quotes | 682c39bd | 紗

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

dudes with pellet smokers have already sliced their own balls off, so...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2021 at 6:42 PM, PantsTent said:

I’ve smoked those county style ribs that are just strips of chuck but never did a whole roast before. Can we call this a Texas roast to counter that Mississippi shit? (Although that looks delicious and I’m sure it is)

right.gif

On 5/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, BabaYaga said:

haha I'm stealing this

• Haha 1

Speaking of smoked chuck, Distant Relatives is a newish trailer on East 7th doing a "modern take on traditional african-american bbq" thing. They don't do brisket. They smoke chuck. Got a smoked chuck sandwich for lunch from there recently and it was pretty goddamn good. Daniel Vaughn gave it a write up in Texas Monthly. Check the place out. The owner/chef/pitmaster/whatever seems to be a really good dude.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/east-austins-most-exciting-new-joint-serves-modern-african-american-barbecue/

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Speaking of smoked chuck, Distant Relatives is a newish trailer on East 7th doing a "modern take on traditional african-american bbq" thing. They don't do brisket. They smoke chuck. Got a smoked chuck sandwich for lunch from there recently and it was pretty goddamn good. Daniel Vaughn gave it a write up in Texas Monthly. Check the place out. The owner/chef/pitmaster/whatever seems to be a really good dude.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/east-austins-most-exciting-new-joint-serves-modern-african-american-barbecue/

Cool that they're staying true to the roots of BBQ:  mainly poorer communities that innovated a way to cook tougher cuts of meats previously looked down upon.  When I lived in NY, had many a "kosher brisket" at many of the smaller establishments that was fantastic on a sandwich.  

On 5/7/2021 at 2:28 PM, BabaYaga said:

Yep.

• Season and smoke as you would a brisket for about 3-4 hours
  • Then ddd to foil pan.  I add a rough cut onion and diced hatch chilis and a cup or so of beef broth and cover with foil
  • Smoke for another 3 hours +/- until it gets to around 200+
  • Pour out the broth/onin/pepper juices into another bowl to save
  • Chuck shreds like pulled pork, then put back over how ever much of the broth and peppers you want.

Served with those Hawaiin roles, diced pickles and onions, makes the best sandwiches.  I like it better than chopped brisket for sandwiches and it cooks in half the time for a fraction of the cost.  Every time I make it the kids and guests devour.  

Smoked chuck4.jpg

I got two on the smoker right now. Will try and report back if I don't get "sidetracked".

• Hook 'Em 1

Country style ribs need more love. Even though it’s just pork butt, it’s so much fucking better than a smoked pork butt. White bread and pickles are all you need.
Season and smoke for 2 hours, braise in sauce, beer, and onion for another 90 minutes. Finish in the grill and brush with the braising liquid.

dece866e6acca31a1cdd97a573f8f746.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Whenever I make Salisbury steak, I always make way more onion-mushroom gravy than I need so I can then have this.

eeee61fa4c444fc8fe5767200be04b54.jpg
06ae42dc1508c2a9865553edb869550f.jpg

Did someone say Salisbury Steak!  Growing up, I think I ate hundreds of these little beauties.  After practices I'd murder 2-3 at a time BEFORE dinner.  

20110622100007tv-dinner-salisbury-steak.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Did someone say Salisbury Steak!  Growing up, I think I ate hundreds of these little beauties.  After practices I'd murder 2-3 at a time BEFORE dinner.  

20110622100007tv-dinner-salisbury-steak.

The brownie is the weakest link.

Speaking of Salisbury Steak reminds me of a story. Gather round young 'un's and hear the tale of the 40ft Buffet in the desert. It was 1980something and youngRPM was trucking across I-40 in mid-July in a 14 year old cabover Freightliner with highly questionable a/c when I start noticing billboards for the brand new SOTA Giant Truckstop in Gallup, NM. At first it was a rando billboard every 5- 10 miles or so, then it was one every mile. The biggest selling point for me was the 40ft buffet. I was already hungry, but I decided to wait and go whole hog on this alleged 40ft steamtable of challenge. Now to be completely fair, there was no false advertising. The joint was SOTA from the trams that ferried you from the parking lot to the building, the free theater with relatively new movies, Dentist, Masseuse, Barber and (wait for it) a 40ft all you can eat buffet. I pay for the pigout, grab a plate and set pillage mode. First thing I see is a pan of Salisbury steak. I grab 2 and load up with mashed potato and assorted steamed veggies (a man has to shit). I sink my fork in, cut a big double layer slice and shove it in my mouth. There are moments in life where you question reality, as in you can't believe what you are seeing is actually happening in front of you. This was like that, but with taste buds. My eyes saw Salisbury steak, but my tongue was tasting shit. WTF is happening? That's when I realized that pan wasn't Salisbury steak, it was liver and onions. I lost my appetite, walked out and drove all the way to California before I could eat again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Paco said:
1 hour ago, futureman said:
is that potting soil between the beans and potatoes?

It's a delectable half cooked brownie cake thing you uncultured swine!

Favorites were the Nighthawk dinners:  Steak and tots FTW!  Eat the "steak", then let those tots swim in that steak juice.

L-I-V-I-N.....

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Paco said:
2 hours ago, futureman said:
is that potting soil between the beans and potatoes?

It's a delectable half cooked brownie cake thing you uncultured swine!

nah, it's nuclear waste hot while the salisbury steak is still frozen.

22 minutes ago, elfenix said:

nah, it's nuclear waste hot while the salisbury steak is still frozen.

Both things are true.  It's delectable, poorly cooked, and nuclear hot while the steak is still frozen.

And I may procure just such a meal soon for my weekend consumption.

43 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"Were?"  WTF happened in your life that made those past-tense?

I learned to cook....and can concoct my own versions of rock-gut greatness absent scalding the layer of skin off the roof of my mouth.

Case in point:

Breakfast this AM:  cubed pepper bacon, eggs, Irish butter, natch chili queso from Costco, and left over Braum's crinkle fries crisped in the bacon grease before the eggs are added.  Served in a Chinet paper bowl with leftover Rosas's verde sauce.

Lunch:  single cast iron seared flank steak coated in Big Moe Cason brisket rub and more Irish butter with a giant dab of minced, raw horseradish (not the cream) on the side

Edited by BabaYaga

Wife brought home a decent burger from her catered lunch event.

Turnt that into a hamburger sangwich

Added a pile of Colby Jack. Sweet onion sliced. Spicy dill pickle. Chick-fil-A hiney bbq sauce.

Toaster over till all gooed up right.

Cheers

64e667fd3f2b0ac3bb9b48788e9f2be6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Salisbury steak, you said?  I made these again Sunday for a large family dinner.  2 lbs of ground venison mixed with 2 lbs of ground beef. Grilled about 3 minutes per side then covered with mushroom onion gravy and baked for about 25 minutes.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tell me more about this mushroom onion gravy....

13 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Tell me more about this mushroom onion gravy....

Pretty easy - saute onions and mushrooms seasoned with salt and pepper (I used a little bacon grease and some olive oil), add a little garlic toward the end if you like garlic a little wine to deglaze then remove it all from pan, add a little more oil if needed to make about 1/4 cup, add 1/4 cup flour and make a brown roux.  Then add about 2 cups of beef broth, let it simmer and thicken, toss the mushrooms and onions back in.  Pour over steaks before you bake.  That's how I do it anyway.

Edit - if you're in a hurry or don't have beef broth (I use the better than bullion stuff in a jar), you can use a package or 2 of brown gravy mix from the store.  It just tastes better if you make it from scratch.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Pretty easy - saute onions and mushrooms seasoned with salt and pepper (I used a little bacon grease and some olive oil), add a little garlic toward the end if you like garlic a little wine to deglaze then remove it all from pan, add a little more oil if needed to make about 1/4 cup, add 1/4 cup flour and make a brown roux.  Then add about 2 cups of beef broth, let it simmer and thicken, toss the mushrooms and onions back in.  Pour over steaks before you bake.  That's how I do it anyway.

Edit - if you're in a hurry or don't have beef broth (I use the better than bullion stuff in a jar), you can use a package or 2 of brown gravy mix from the store.  It just tastes better if you make it from scratch.

So 1st 2nd you make a roux.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’d also add this advice, if you’re making Salisbury steak patties, use your favorite meat loaf recipe and make the steaks out of that.  For regular hamburger/cheeseburger patties I just use meat only, worked cold and season right before cooking.  These steak patties had random bread heel crumbs, a couple eggs ritz cracker crumbs and onion-soup type seasoning mixed in the meat.  Muy hardy.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1