Hey Steel Shank!

I know it's sacrileg in this thread, and while I enjoyed my Allsup's burrito, I couldn't help but think that the Casey's breakfast burritos are honestly a little better, and I'm by no means a Casey's honk.  10 years ago they were a powerhouse example of what Midwestern gas stations are all about.  Now they're a decrepit monument to what happens when you get publicly traded and try to make shareholders more money by hiring the cheapest (IE worst) help you can.
But they still have good food.

I don’t recall where in Iowa you are but I’m pretty sure it’s east of 35?

Get thyself to a yesway. Had myself a life saving allsups burrito in Iowa just this evening.

If you’re feeling frisky, you can Pepsi challenge yourself on a slice from Casey’s but I know where I stand. But I’m grateful that they both exist and that I can get both in Iowa these days.

13 minutes ago, castolon said:

I don’t recall where in Iowa you are but I’m pretty sure it’s east of 35?

Get thyself to a yesway. Had myself a life saving allsups burrito in Iowa just this evening.

If you’re feeling frisky, you can Pepsi challenge yourself on a slice from Casey’s but I know where I stand. But I’m grateful that they both exist and that I can get both in Iowa these days.

There used to be a Yesway in Mason City which is an hour west of me.  They closed a bunch of stores recently 

Behold, the glory of Luby's.

106d01dae491028244af15d7dbf22475.jpg

But man, I ain't the young fella I once was.  Half that enchilada plate went into a to-go box.

Jeez that looks like a great plate except for Mac n cheese with cheese enchiladas. Thats bizarro world matchup but you do you.

Just now, Texzilla588 said:

Jeez that looks like a great plate except for Mac n cheese with cheese enchiladas. Thats bizarro world matchup but you do you.

That's the magic of Luby's.  It's a mix-and-match of whatever you like.  Fried fish with pintos and mexican rice?  Have at it.  Meatloaf with sauteed cabbage and mac and cheese, jello for dessert?  Four random sides and a piece of jalapeno cornbread?  You do you.  America, freedom, excellence, big American titties, fireworks, Luby's.....

9_wk2K.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I made way too much rice for gumbo on Sunday, so decided I was gonna need to make some fried rice to get rid of it. The only thing I didn’t already have in my pantry or freezer was the HEB diced thighs for lettuce wraps, which were perfect for this. 

IMG_4730.jpeg

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Like 1

A full tray of enchiladas is Shank now? Think a couple of you are looking for this one. 
That was leftovers for breakfast. Hopefully that meets your strict criteria Mr hall monitor.

10 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I made way too much rice for gumbo on Sunday, so decided I was gonna need to make some fried rice to get rid of it. The only thing I didn’t already have in my pantry or freezer was the HEB diced thighs for lettuce wraps, which were perfect for this. 

IMG_4730.jpeg

Holy shit!  Thanks for the tip!  These seem really useful.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-dinner-starter-seasoned-diced-chicken-thighs-for-lettuce-wraps/6202594

11 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

IMG_4730.jpeg

Was gonna rep for this but realized man, that’s like a great last step before picadillo.  Should have finished and eaten in tacos!

On 3/15/2024 at 12:20 PM, Texzilla588 said:

Wacky combinations resulting in deliciousness are the name of the game around here.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 1:25 PM, Paco said:

Not dart bowl, but pretty good 33e6f0b7c4a1ebe02e5676a9aa792bb8.jpg02279eb726345f6083d1381e6aafe061.jpg

The trifecta of huevos enchiladas, raisins and fiber powder, I mean what are we talking about here?  Where’s the firearm?  The folding knife?  Are we old people?

On 3/8/2024 at 2:23 PM, irishtexan said:

This is the correct way to construct a chili cheese dog

Gather ingredients. Hot dog was already under the broiler

IMG_5287.jpg

Assemble cheese hinge. I usually use a full slice of American but only had one today so I split it in half and supplemented with some grated cheddar. Adapt. Improvise. Overcome.

IMG_5286.jpg

Add hot dogs while still very hot to forge cheese hinge.
IMG_5289.jpg

Add small layer of grated cheese on top of dogs

IMG_5291.jpg

Add layer of HEB no beans canned chili heated in microwave
IMG_5292.jpg

Add third and final layer of cheese 

AIMG_5293.jpg

Add preferred toppings. I went with diced onion and pickled japs
IMG_5296.jpg

Enjoy

Cheese rebar added to improve the structural integrity of the cheese hinge.  Smart.

You, sir, are a great American and an even better Texan. Bra-fucking-vo

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1