Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

On 2/16/2020 at 7:53 AM, futureman said:

tell me more

Had a solid 3/4lb chunk of ground chuck that I formed into a patty roughly the shape of 2 side-by-side slices of bread.  Seasoned the top with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.  Brought a stainless skillet up to temp and added a little oil and put in the "steak" seasoning side down.  Once it's in the pan, don't move it; we want a nice crust.  Seasoned the now top with salt and pepper and cooked over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes.  Scrape the burger off the pan, making sure most of the crunchy bits stay on the meat, and cook the other side for another 4 minutes.  The middle might now be cooked enough for your liking if your meat is too thick, but that's not a problem.  Put the meat on a plate to rest tented in foil, sopped up some excess oil before adding a little butter.  Once it's done bubbling, add about 1-2T of flour and cook for a couple minutes, scraping up the fond.  I added about a cup of hot, concentrated beef broth (about 2-3 times the Better Than Bouillon called for to make a cup of broth) and stirred vigorously to make a roux.  Bring to a boil and taste for seasoning, dilute as needed if it's too thick.   Add the rested meat and whatever drippings from the plate back to the pan.  You can cook a bit longer now if needed, but mine was good, so it just went back from the pan onto my waiting untoasted bread.

Cardiologists and lack of manual labor are probably good reasons why this isn't more common anymore, but damn does it hit the spot when all you want is beefy goodness.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh....like the Amish can't be terrorists, huh?  I've got my eye on you, you shifty horse-and-buggy bastards.....

Ever drive an 18 wheeler through Amish country? They're terrorists alright. Pop over a hill going 50 and they are at a walk. Brake check!

17 minutes ago, RPM said:

Ever drive an 18 wheeler through Amish country? They're terrorists alright. Pop over a hill going 50 and they are at a walk. Brake check!

I used to drive my rig all over the country, having grand adventures.  But I hung it up when my traveling buddy couldn't ride with me anymore.  I'll miss you, little buddy.

51vp8VuxfWL._AC_SX385_.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 9:18 PM, davidg said:

Worked at the ranch today with Dad, he turned 87 last Sunday and was mad at me because I would not let him run the chainsaw. Since we went into town early today for some fencing we didn’t feel like driving back for dinner tonight.

The setting: an old hay barn that has served as our camp barn on the place for 30 years of duck and squirrel hunts, spring and winter break family campouts and many weekends of scout camping. The barn over looks a cove that used to be a native pecan orchard before the lake flooded.

E37-D93-FD-7-C3-D-461-B-9176-6-EE4-A6-BF121-E.jpg

The meal: grilled jalapeño sausage on flour tortillas with processed cheese and a splash of Stubbs. Sides were HEB frito scoops and bean dip. The tableware was paper towels on top of newspaper and the table an upside down cattle feed syrup bucket.

5-B32-C655-E687-4-D55-85-FB-385-A27-D6-A1-FC.jpg

Damn, suddenly got very dusty up in here.  Sounds like the perfect end to an even more perfect day....

On 2/3/2020 at 11:24 AM, Dutch said:

This post hit me a bit.  My dad passed away about five years ago after a long battle with cancer and related illnesses robbed him of his final decade.  The first picture you posted...man, that is the rare photograph that perfectly captures its intended scene and in so doing conjures up emotions within the viewer.  The second... @Brisketexan nailed it.  Any words I might add would fail to add anything of significance. What I wouldn't give for a weekend such as the one you brilliantly captured in two pictures.  

One word... AMEN

55 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Basically Frito pie but with tater tots cooked in the airfryer e23e2f173b009098bdaf9404afd3deee.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rep for presentation.

I will say that I feel like a good tater tot needs a little grease on it. Oven tater tots never hold up to right out of the deep fryer tots imo. Seems like an air fryer would give you the same problem.

• Like 1

Rep for presentation.
I will say that I feel like a good tater tot needs a little grease on it. Oven tater tots never hold up to right out of the deep fryer tots imo. Seems like an air fryer would give you the same problem.
This was my first time doing then in an air fryer. I did half of them straight out of the bag. And half with sprayed with olive oil. Both were way better than the oven. But the ones sprayed with olive oil were pretty much as good as deep fried ones. Not quite but close enough

3 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

This was my first time doing then in an air fryer. I did half of them straight out of the bag. And half with sprayed with olive oil. Both were way better than the oven. But the ones sprayed with olive oil were pretty much as good as deep fried ones. Not quite but close enough

Ha. I was literally thinking as I wrote my last comment "hmmm... next time I make tater tots I'll rub em in olive oil"

And maybe they weren't as good, probably a good deal healthier though (if I'm allowed to say that in this thread). 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 2