Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

Hankered for a hot dog yesterday. Tried the Heb heritage brand, jalapeño dogs. Too one is a pretty ordinary chili cheese dog, added japs and more cheese, and a squirt of mustard. Always solid. The one below was experimental. Cheese above and below. Then topped with diced trappers sweet hot japs. Then, I took some of the heb brand sweet jalapeño cheese puffs (like Cheetos) and crumbled for a topping.

dd9a3f8a9735b408d22bd8b128bedb5d.jpg

Sadly, it was meh. Or maybe I did too much. But...we do not triumph if we do not take risks.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did the cheese below act as a hinge, a la Judgey-Wudgey?

Absolutely. The cheese below, adding structural integrity to the hot dog assembly, is one of man’s great engineering feats. It’s the kind of thinking that got us to the moon.
your take on the derka dog?

Damn right.
LDAF

Sadly, it was. I think I overdid it, both in crumbling and volume. 2-3, broken into larger pieces, would have been better. But honestly, Derka dog style might be even better. But with jalapeño Cheetos, of course.

3 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Does anyone have that hatch green chili stew recipe from the old site?

For me, green chili stew is like red chili. I don't use a recipe and try to keep it simple. I make a green sauce with a lot of hatch peppers, tomatillos, onions, garlic, and cilantro. Brown the pork, add the salsa, a can of beer, some more diced onions if you want, a teaspoon of cumin. Maybe throw in some diced unroasted hatch peppers? Church it up with some corn or some diced white potatoes in the end if you're feeling fancy. Simmer it on the stove top or in the oven for 3 hours or so until the pork is super tender. Serve with tortillas, avocado, cilantro, and diced onions. Keep it simple. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Does anyone have that hatch green chili stew recipe from the old site?

IDK if this was it, but Cafe Pasqual in Santa Fe is always solid:

Green Chile and Pork Stew

Courtesy of chef Katharine Kagel from “Cooking with Cafe Pasqual's: Recipes from Santa Fe's Renowned Corner Cafe” 
shapeimage_33.png

greenchileporkstew-2.jpg
This is the classic thick stew from northern New Mexico, but of course there are as many recipes as there are Norteños (northerners). 

Green Chile and Prork Stew

Photo Credit: Kitty Leaken

This recipe is from my dear friend Greg Powell, a native son of Santa Fe, whose palate is unsurpassed. Lamb, chicken, or game may be used for the meat -- whatever is on hand is fine to use. There is a lot of chopping and dicing, as well as long cooking process, so be prepared for about a 4-hour commitment that will give you a delicious and nourishing reward for your effort, not to mention the sweet cooking aromas that will fill your kitchen. The quantity given is large, because the cooking time is long and it only seems fair to create extra. It freezes well and may be kept for up to 2 months. Use the best quality pork butt you can find.

Yield

Serves 12

Ingredients

- ¼ cup olive oil

- 2 yellow onions, diced

- 4 carrots, peeled and diced

- 4 stalks celery, diced

- 4 cloves garlic, pressed

- 1 teaspoon dried oregano

- 1 tablespoon ground cumin

- 2 pounds pork butt

- 5 quarts chicken stock (you can get low-sodium, organic stock in quart cartons from the grocery)

- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, cut from 1 to 2 ears of corn

- 3 pounds of russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks (no need to peel)

- 16 fresh New Mexican or Anaheim chiles, fire-roasted, stemmed, peeled, seeded, and cut into ½-inch squares (2 cups), or 1 ounce dried green chiles, rehydrated and chopped.

- ¾ teaspoon salt

- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

- 12 corn or whole-wheat tortillas, warmed

Directions

1) In a lidded, 8-quart, heavy pot, over medium heat, add the olive oil and let it heat for a moment.

2) To the pot, add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and oregano.

3) Saute the vegetables, uncovered, until the onions are translucent.

4) Put the cumin into a dry pan over low heat and toast it for 1 minute, stirring frequently until it is fragrant, and then add it to the stew pot.

5) Cut the pork in half and add it to the pot, followed by 3 quarts of the stock.

6) Cover the pot, bring to a boil, uncover, skim off any foam, and then turn down the heat to medium-low.

7) Simmer gently, uncovered, over medium-low heat until the meat is tender, about 2 ½ to 3 hours. (You may need to add 1 quart of the remaining stock at this point if too much has evaporated.)

😎 Transfer the pork to a bowl, leaving the stock in the pot.

9) Skim any oil from the top of the stock and discard.

10) When the meat is cool enough to handle, shred the meat, then coarsely chop it with a cleaver so the shreds are no more than 2 inches long.

11) Return the meat to the stockpot and add the corn, potatoes, chiles, and the remaining 1 quart of stock.

12) Cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 30 minutes.

13) Add the salt and pepper.

14) Always serve this stew with warmed tortillas.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Your cumin game needs work son.

i.e. tomatillos and hatch chiles are full of acid. It's hard to overdo the cumin in a stew like that.

You're probably right. Like I said, I don't use a recipe. I just add cumin till it tastes right. It's probably more. 

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

You're probably right. Like I said, I don't use a recipe. I just add cumin till it tastes right. It's probably more. 

It's my favorite spice. I had to say something. Works on chicken, pork, beef, white fish - just beautiful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's my favorite spice. I had to say something. Works on chicken, pork, beef, white fish - just beautiful. 

When I go too heavy on it in a recipe that I'm serving to my mom, she always comments "your South Texas is showing."  It's a solid poor-man's seasoning.

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Me and you both brother.  When I was living in third world countries for over a decade, if I could get my hands on some cumin I could turn some absolute dog shit tasting meat into something edible.  I never claimed to be a great cook, but you make do with what you have.

And any regular jar size salsa recipe that doesn't include at least a tsp of cumin... forget it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

But I just started!

(I quit drinking. And... other things)

Fuck that. Start drinking again and quit smoking. Not to derail a Shank thread, but you'll have a lot more fun drinking than smoking. Prolly live longer, too. I know more old drunks than old smokers.

6 minutes ago, RPM said:

Fuck that. Start drinking again and quit smoking. Not to derail a Shank thread, but you'll have a lot more fun drinking than smoking. Prolly live longer, too. I know more old drunks than old smokers.

I didn't quit drinking because it was fun. It would have killed me or someone else much faster than smoking will - I guarantee you. And I'm not sure how long or how much I plan on smoking.

But I'm not here to judge. Most drinkers don't engage in the psycho behaviors that I did. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I didn't quit drinking because it was fun. It would have killed me or someone else much faster than smoking will - I guarantee you. And I'm not sure how long or how much I plan on smoking.

But I'm not here to judge. Most drinkers don't engage in the psycho behaviors that I did. 

keep smoking like a goddamn chimney, brother. whatever helps you stay off the drink.