wc KO day 4:: bow of burning goald

Hagbard Celine

after the battle of the neutrals, we get a ham-less colombia against england gone full-aggy.

let's take a moment to recount England's record in knockouts.

it's better than the consensus reality....

counting a one-off group-stage playoff loss to the Soviets in '58 and the 2nd group stage "win or die" 2nd game draw with Spain as a loss in '82, again counting both as knockouts...

we've had 20 mundials...

england folded their arms at the first 3

they didn't qualify in 78 or 94

they didn't get out of group in 50, 74 and 14

so that's 8 of 20 where they didn't even have a chance to play a knockout

that leaves 12 tournaments where they have played a knockout, and their record is 8 wins, 11 losses

England have actually won 2 knockout games this century, 1 more than the US.

Edited by Hagbard Celine
derp

I hope Switzerland wins, but I'm not too confident since Lichtsteiner won't be able to play. Schär is out too, but he's more replaceable than Lichtsteiner. If Yann Sommer and Shaqiri both have great games, then the Swiss will win. If not, Sweden will continue their improbable run. 

• Like 1

i am watching a reddit stream, think its an english channel. the announcing is amazing

"nearly a great ball there"

other announcer: "this is nearly a great game" LMAO. 

"Chirquiri is really on it"

"what does that mean?"

"It means he looks like he is trying"

"oh ok, whatever".

this dude is having a meltdown and its more entertaining than the game actually, so i guess i feel him

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

swiss miss does not put out

she be rich and trust funded

yes they do. sorry, I know rules, but that was a long ass time ago. Locarno chicks are Italian and not that rich. And being there over the summer meant all the rich girls came down to the lakes to party. 

2 minutes ago, Jograves said:

The yellow card accumulation penalties are too harsh. Should reset after the group stage.

Fifa doesn't want someone to miss the final unless they get a yellow in two consecutive games, hence the reset after the Rof16.  I think it was before 90 they didn't reset at all.  They used to reset after the group stage, but I thought they changed it since Ballack missed the 2002 final. 

2 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Fifa doesn't want someone to miss the final unless they get a yellow in two consecutive games, hence the reset after the Rof16.  I think it was before 90 they didn't reset at all.  They used to reset after the group stage, but I thought they changed it since Ballack missed the 2002 final. 

I understand that, but 2 yellows in 4 games shouldn't result in a suspension. I think that's too harsh. 

8 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

I don't disagree.  Just commenting that it used to be worse.

Yeah.

Also, this is the World Cup, so I'm sure FIFA doesn't want it to be as physical as a league match is. They don't want these matches turning into derbies. 

Edited by Jograves

7 minutes ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

I don’t see why they can’t just make it 3 yellows before a suspension (unless of course 2 occur in the same game and result in a red).  Seems like that would solve most of the yellow card suspension problems.

Because they don't want guys just going out there and getting yellow cards every game. The idea is to clean up play, not to relax the rules.