wc KO day 4:: bow of burning goald

Hagbard Celine

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I lived in two northwest England blue-collar towns over three years and Jesus fucking Christ, the impression most Americans have of England could not be farther from the reality. They fight for fun, and aren't reluctant about breaking a pint glass and slashing you across the face. They may have a low murder rate but it's an extremely violent country. Or at least Preston and Blackpool are violent towns. 

So, like Odessa or Beaumont...

without enchiladas or boudin?

2 hours ago, slorch said:

So, like Odessa or Beaumont...

without enchiladas or boudin?

Sub in curry and fish n' chips. The chippy was the last place you wanted to be when the pubs closed though. Only place I could remember quite like it was the old Jack n the Box on the Drag late at night. There was a fight in there every time I went after two AM. Same cause: hangry drunks who failed to get laid that night. 

Also, I knew it!  Got dam ref's fault, the angliophile!  Apparently he sucked English balls while farting in Colombia's general direction.  HE caused everything!  No, really, it's on the Internet so it just be true!

"https:

Colombian captain blasts American World Cup referee for shamefully favoring England

Martin Rogers, USA TODAYPublished 8:44 a.m. ET July 4, 2018 | Updated 9:01 a.m. ET July 4, 2018

EPA RUSSIA SOCCER FIFA WORLD CUP 2018 SPO SOCCER RUS

(Photo: Yuri Kochetkov, EPA-EFE)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

MOSCOW — American referee Mark Geiger has been accused by Colombia captain Radamel Falcao of shamefully favoring England during the ferocious round of 16 World Cup clash between the teams Tuesday night.

Geiger oversaw a bitterly contested match and doled out eight yellow cards, while also calling 36 fouls as England broke its long-standing penalty shootout curse to move into the quarterfinals.

“I found it peculiar that they put an American referee in this instance,” Falcao said in the aftermath of the 1-1 draw, which ended with England’s 4-3 win on penalties. “To tell you the truth, the process leaves us a lot of doubts. He spoke only English. Some bias was certain.

“When in doubt, he always went to the England side. It is shameful that this happens in the round of 16 at a World Cup.”

The way the game turned nasty also earned the Major League Soccer referee some criticism on social media. In truth, if not for him taking swift action, it could have spiraled completely out of control.

Hard fouls were a staple throughout the game, and players from both sides regularly overreacted to contact in the hope of seeing an opponent punished.

After England was awarded a second-half penalty – eventually converted by Harry Kane – several Colombian players tried to scuff up the penalty spot while Geiger was not looking.

Jordan Henderson was on the receiving end of a head-butt from a Colombian player, and later dished out one of his own. Routinely, Geiger would be surrounded by a cluster of baying players from either England or Colombia – and sometimes both – protesting decisions.

Commentators around the world acknowledged the game as one of the dirtiest in the World Cup so far, but Falcao was adamant his team was the wronged party.

“Through small calls he was pushing us (toward) our goal, that was clear for me,” he added. “The referee disturbed us a lot. In the 50-50 plays, he always made the calls in favor of England. This situation was undermining us. He didn’t act with the same criteria for both teams.”

It is not the first time Geiger has been involved in controversy during the tournament. After officiating a group-stage game, he was accused by Morocco’s Nordin Amrabat of asking for the jersey of a Portugal player, a claim that was angrily refuted by both Geiger and FIFA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/worldcup/2018/07/04/world-cup-2018-mark-geiger-colombia-england-radamel-falcao/757567002/

From the like 5 minutes I watched, I actually thought the guy was being nice to Colombia, they were playing like rugby or something and at one point the guy should've gotten a red but this guy gave him a yellow.  Anyway, the fix was in.  The ref secretly wants to get into Queenie's panties!

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I've lived in various countries all over the world and the POMEs are the freaking worst when it comes to delusions of grandeur.  Other than the 2003 Rugby World Cup they have won exactly jack shit in the last fifty years or so.  Bless their hearts though, their completely unwarranted optimism has paid for a lot of my beer over the last 15 years.

Well, in 2017 they did win FIFA’s U-20 World Cup & U-17 World Cup, so the era of free drinks might have finally come to an end. 

(Not to mention multiple Tours de France, this year’s Giro de Italia, many golds in thei 2012 Olympics, The Ashes, and I have no idea how many 6 Nations trophies they’ve won since their illegitimate FIFA WC win in 1966.)

Every other ref in the tournament speaks english.  It's the international language of entertainment, surveillance, air traffic control, and football adjudication.

In addition, Colombia put on the single greatest display of latin bitchassedness we've seen in this tournament to date.  The moment an american ref walked on the pitch he was doomed, because central and south american teams go postal with the dna-ingrained belief they can pitch a fit in to getting what they want out of the ref.  Old news.

• Like 5

England won a World Cup penalty shootout for the first time on a night of high drama in Moscow, overcoming Colombia to secure a quarter-final meeting with Sweden.

Amid a fevered atmosphere inside Spartak Stadium, Eric Dier scored the winning kick after Jordan Pickford's brilliant save from Carlos Bacca.

England's famous victory sets up a meeting with Sweden in Samara on Saturday, a game that can be seen live across the BBC.

Manager Gareth Southgate celebrated with his staff while his players mobbed the heroes Pickford and Dier after their first win at the knockout stage of major tournament since 2006.

Southgate's side looked to have emerged unscathed from an ill-disciplined match courtesy of Harry Kane's penalty, only for Colombia's Yerry Mina to equalise in the closing seconds of stoppage time to send the massed ranks of Colombia fans wild.

The extra 30 minutes could not separate the sides and led to a nerve-shredding finale that has so often been England's undoing, with a dismal record of just one win in seven shootouts at major tournaments before this.

England looked to be set for more agony when Jordan Henderson's penalty was saved by David Ospina but Mateus Uribe smashed the following kick on to the crossbar to pave the way for Pickford and Dier to be England's saviours.

No previous world champions stand between England and the final. The winners of their quarter-final will face either Croatia or hosts Russia for a place in the Moscow showpiece on 15 July.

England survive test of nerve

England's survived a test of nerve that will prove invaluable as they drive deeper into this World Cup after a night of noise, colour and hostility in Moscow.

Southgate's side cast off the clouds of dread that have come over England in penalty shootouts in the past, a psychological lift that may yet help them further down the line.

Colombia made their intentions clear from the off. This was going to be a scrap and Jose Pekerman's side would be the beneficiaries if England were dragged into it.

England lived on the edge in those physical exchanges but the manner in which they survived and came through that test will add an extra layer to the satisfaction.

And within the dogged team performance, individuals once more made their mark.

Everton goalkeeper Pickford received some criticism for his performance against Belgium but was outstanding here, not only saving that Bacca penalty but producing one of the saves of the World Cup from Uribe's thunderous drive from 30 yards - which cruelly led to the corner that brought Mina's equaliser.

And Trippier's measured penalty was another indication of his growing maturity at this level, the Spurs full-back having again performed solidly down England's right.

England edge towards glory

Southgate's one-match-at-a-time mantra has been designed to keep expectations in check as his side have been presented with their best opportunity at a World Cup since they reached the semi-finals of Italia 90.

If he was listening to the England fans who gathered and sang non-stop late into the Moscow night behind the goal in the Spartak Stadium, it may have dawned on him that keeping a lid on expectations is likely to be a losing battle.

England will have taken a lot out of themselves in this physically gruelling and mentally taxing last-16 game and they now face the well-organised and resilient Swedes.

If they can overcome Sweden, the possibility of a semi-final meeting with Russia or Croatia comes into view.

England found a way to win here that has often eluded them, digging deep in the process - and they will have headed back to their Zelenogorsk training HQ in soaring spirits.

There is work to do, though, and this was not a flawless performance by any means, but England and Southgate have now regained the momentum they lost in their group-stage loss to Belgium and can look to build on that.

Referee Geiger lost the plot

American referee Mike Geiger's failure to clamp down on early misdemeanours led to him losing control of a game that Colombia seemed determined to turn into a battle.

Instead of imposing his authority on proceedings with firm decision-making, he instead indulged in lengthy discussion with players from both sides on numerous occasions.

It lead to Colombia, in particular, pushing him to the edge - although England were not total innocents, with both Henderson and Harry Maguire leaving themselves open to accusations of being over-theatrical and many others sailing close to the wind.

This would have been a tough night for any referee, with players clearly failing to respect his decisions, and making no attempt to make the official's life easier, but it is to be hoped officials with a greater sense of authority are handed the huge games that remain here in Russia.

Match stats - Kane sets best England run since 1939

• England have won a penalty shootout at a major tournament for only the second time, also beating Spain in Euro 96.
  • England have qualified for the quarter-final of a World Cup for the first time since 2006.
  • Colombia have lost three of their four knockout matches at the World Cup (also the last 16 in 1990 and the quarter-final in 2014).
  • The team going first in a penalty shootout have now lost all three at the 2018 World Cup.
  • Harry Kane became the first player to score in six consecutive England appearances since Tommy Lawton did so in 1939.
  • Kane has scored six goals in his first three World Cup appearances for England - only three players have scored more in their first three matches; Hungary's Sandor Kocsis (nine), Germany's Gerd Muller (seven) and Argentina's Guillermo Stabile (seven).
  • The last England player to be fouled more often in a World Cup match than Kane in this match (nine) was Alan Shearer in 1998 against Tunisia (11).
  • Kane has scored 14 goals in 10 England appearances under Gareth Southgate, scoring in all eight matches he has played as captain (12 goals).
  • Mina has scored in all three of his appearances at the World Cup, with all three headers.
  • Kane has scored six goals from six shots on target at the 2018 World Cup.
  • England conceded in injury time at the end of the second half for the first time in World Cup history, with Mina's goal coming after 92 minutes and 33 seconds.
  • Eight of England's last 15 World Cup knockout matches have gone to extra time, with the first match in this run the 1966 World Cup final.

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Alcohol + No Upward Mobility = ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

It's not just that. I mean, booze is definitely a factor, but I was in Greenwich one Sunday afternoon, and watched one normalish looking dude with his daughter on his shoulders try and start shit with another drunk guy. They just like to fight and break things, regardless of social station. 

• Like 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/04/maradona-launches-anti-england-rant-calls-world-cup-victory/

Maradona launches anti-England rant and calls World Cup victory over Colombia a 'monumental theft'

D iego Maradona has branded England’s win over Colombia “a monumental theft”, accusing them of diving and demanding an apology from Fifa for appointing Mark Geiger to referee the match.

In a scathing attack on Argentine television, Maradona claimed Harry Kane “threw himself down” for the penalty that gave England the lead, insisting the striker was not fouled.

He blamed Pierluigi Collina, the chairman of Fifa’s referees committee, for Colombia’s defeat following the decision to put Geiger in charge of Monday’s game.

Maradona attended the match as a ‘Fifa legend’, with his role as an ambassador having already come under scrutiny over his antics during Argentina’s games at the tournament.

The man whose Hand of God goal helped knock England out of the 1986 World Cup told TeleSUR: “I saw a monumental theft. I apologise to all the Colombian people, but they must know the players are not to blame.

Referee Mark Geiger was constantly surrounded by Colombia players

“It is the man who decides who the referee is who is to blame. A man like that [Geiger] should not be put in charge of a game of that magnitude.

“With all due respect, Pierluigi Collina, as the man who designates the referees, he is very bad. He must apologise to the Colombian people.

“I told [Fifa president] Gianni Infantino that, if I worked for Fifa, I would change everything. It has to be transparent. That's why I didn't go there.

“The referee will know a lot about baseball, but he has no idea about football. The Colombian players asked for VAR [Video Assistant Referee intervention] and he did not give it to them.

“Twice, the English threw themselves to the ground and he did not admonish them. This was theft.”

I n an ill-tempered match Geiger struggled to control, England took the lead when Kane was bundled to the ground by Carlos Sanchez.
M aradona said: “The penalty was not a foul. In fact, it was Kane's fault.

“The referee is looking somewhere else and when he turns his head, Kane is on the floor.

“Kane used his arm to hook Sanchez and then threw himself down.

“I repeat, why didn't the referee ask for the VAR? Colombia died standing. That's why I applaud them.”

Telegraph Sport has approached Fifa for a response.

Immediately after Tuesday’s game, Colombia captain Radamel Falcao accused Geiger of being biased in favour of England.
“I found it peculiar that they put an American referee in this instance,” Falcao said.

“To tell you the truth, the process leaves a lot of doubts. He only spoke English. Some bias was certain.

“The referee disturbed us a lot. In the 50-50 plays, he always made the calls in favor of England. This situation was undermining us. He didn't act with the same criteria for both teams.

"When in doubt, he always went to the England side. It’s shameful that this happens in the round of 16 of a World Cup.”

Geiger’s tournament also began in controversial circumstances after he was accused of asking for a Portugal player’s shirt during their 1-0 win over Morocco, an allegation Fifa condemned as false.

6 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Also, I knew it!  Got dam ref's fault, the angliophile!  Apparently he sucked English balls while farting in Colombia's general direction.  HE caused everything!  No, really, it's on the Internet so it just be true!

From the like 5 minutes I watched, I actually thought the guy was being nice to Colombia, they were playing like rugby or something and at one point the guy should've gotten a red but this guy gave him a yellow.  Anyway, the fix was in.  The ref secretly wants to get into Queenie's panties!

You missed Geiger's save of that Colombian PK?

To Argentinians Messi will never equal Maradona.  It’s true, he’s never been kicked out of the World Cup for failing a drugs test, never been sent off in the World Cup finals, never karate kicked the opposition after the match, never doled out racial slurs like candy, never shot reporters with an air rifle etc.  Messi will never be able to match Maradona’s legacy

I think its time to ban all American countries from playing in the world cup.  The US doesnt deserve it, Canda has always sucked, and the entirety of Latin America are a group of whining flopping hysterical cry babies.   Even Brazil are included in this mess.

I think the rest of the world would appreciate it.

I think its time to ban all American countries from playing in the world cup.  The US doesnt deserve it, Canda has always sucked, and the entirety of Latin America are a group of whining flopping hysterical cry babies.   Even Brazil are included in this mess.
I think the rest of the world would appreciate it.
Has Canada ever played in a WC? I don't ever recall seeing them in it since I became aware of it in 1990.