Sharp Objects (HBO)

JimmyHoffa

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Didn't Amy Adams have "Vanish" carved into her arm?

Yes, and that was the name of the episode. She also had other stuff on her shoulder and down her arm.  I am going to assume she likes to carve on herself (or did). Maybe we get to see a boob. 

I wasn’t paying close attention to her skin, probably looking in the reflection for a boob, so I just went back and saw many of the carved words, including the aforementioned  “Vanish” and what appeared to be “April” on her back. Her legs seemed to be covered in words, too. 

This helps explain the graphic at the end about substance abuse and self harm. Girl literally drank alcohol like water.

I liked how upon arrival to the homestead, she showed no affection to her mother or her stepfather, but embraced the maid (who gave off a pretty good Get Out grandma vibe).

Watched last night.  Amazing pilot.  In34.

Oh yeah - I have a CSB about Gillian Flynn.

Back in the late 1990s I was doing PR for TV Guide Channel/TV Guide Online and part of my job was pitching celebrity quotes from our online "celebrity chats" (remember those, lol) to places like Entertainment Weekly, People, etc., that would have like a "From the Internet!" column. 

Anywho... I used to talk to Gillian Flynn pretty regularly because she was the low-level Entertainment Weekly writer at the time who wrote/edited their Internet features page.

So what I'm saying is we are basically best friends.

/CSB

Edited by oSuJeff97
CSB
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 9:17 PM, Neonmoon said:

Very solid start. The little half sister is the devil. 

Spoiler

she absolutely is the devil.  I haven’t read the book but I’m guessing that she and her hoodrat friends think it’s fun to bad things and they’re the ones that kilt them girls.

Edited by futureman

3 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Can we agree though that that liquor store clerk was a little judgey when she bought vodka at 4:30 in the afternoon?

I thought they were showing that because there was going to a scene of her buying another pint a couple hours later. Didn't happen. 

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

was anyone else turned on by all the cutting scars?  am I weird for asking that?

For asking that? No, but there's a few other things we could probably go over...

j/k

19 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Can we agree though that that liquor store clerk was a little judgey when she bought vodka at 4:30 in the afternoon?

I thought it was 9:30 in the morning.  I didn't stop it and back it up to check, but I'm pretty sure it was early.  If it was 4:30, then yeah...fuck that clerk.  Who among us hasn't bought booze at 4:30?  Hell, I think anything after about 11:00 AM is a little judgey.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, futureman said:

was anyone else turned on by all the cutting scars?  am I weird for asking that?

no.  yes.

I actually took a cutter home one time when I was young and single.  We were out drinking, she was hot and had a great body, but it was winter and she had enough clothes on to cover everything.  I could tell she was a little crazy just hanging out with her but nothing that out of the ordinary and all I was thinking about was hooking up so I didn't care.  Got home and we're in the bed messing around and at some point she proudly takes her top off to display all her cutting in all its glory.  Light was off but it wasn't pitch dark.  It looked nothing like Amy's in this show, by the way.  This chick was covered in it like Amy, but hers were really dark and red.  Anyway, that shit took the wind straight out of my sails.  She might as well have had a dick.  I couldn't get her out of there fast enough.  I've dealt with a lot of crazy chicks in my day, but that shit was beyond my limits.

/CSB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

no.  yes.

I actually took a cutter home one time when I was young and single.  We were out drinking, she was hot and had a great body, but it was winter and she had enough clothes on to cover everything.  I could tell she was a little crazy just hanging out with her but nothing that out of the ordinary and all I was thinking about was hooking up so I didn't care.  Got home and we're in the bed messing around and at some point she proudly takes her top off to display all her cutting in all its glory.  Light was off but it wasn't pitch dark.  It looked nothing like Amy's in this show, by the way.  This chick was covered in it like Amy, but hers were really dark and red.  Anyway, that shit took the wind straight out of my sails.  She might as well have had a dick.  I couldn't get her out of there fast enough.  I've dealt with a lot of crazy chicks in my day, but that shit was beyond my limits.

/CSB

You dodged a bullet.  I had a neighbor who was a cutter, albeit a fat dude.  He was a pathological liar with an external locus of control.  The world had shit on him his whole life so he spent his time trying to drink himself to death.  He was doing a good job.  

Edited by EvilCaseMcCoy

53 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Who was by the car during the funeral?

Young Cop. Putting a tracker on Angry Guys car. I think 

Anyone else notice Mom didn’t want her cutting the Apple and then Maid took up all the knives in the kitchen?

Interesting parallels on mothers wanting their daughters to be something they aren't.  Camille was always second fiddle at best, and unloved at worst.  All because her sister was the "typical" Southern girl wanting to grow into a genteel woman, whereas Camille was a tomboy that couldn't get the time of day from her mom.   Similarly, the murdered girl was a weird tomboy that fed ants to spiders, while her mom portrayed her as a girly girl with a pink bedroom, etc.  Her real life vs. what her family wants the public to think is going to be very important.  I'm guessing the rollerskating girls had a hand in teaching the weird girl a lesson.