Global Entry application

Armybrat

On 7/3/2018 at 3:44 PM, 4th and 5 said:

Interviews are MUCH quicker in SA than Austin FYI

On 7/3/2018 at 4:27 PM, Lobo said:

The interview time itself isn't probably an issue for him at this point.  It's which airport office can squeeze in his entire travel party by the end of this week?  15 versus 25 minutes isn't a huge deal.  It's who can fit him in now.  Their scheduling calendars are a beating. 

damn dude, I was not talking about how long the interview actually takes, but that you can get one much quicker in SA than ATX

I was thinking about doing this for my family for our one or two air trips a year, but the way y'all are describing the interview hassles, it seems like it would probably be more trouble than actually just going through the lines when we fly. 

11 minutes ago, wood said:

I was thinking about doing this for my family for our one or two air trips a year, but the way y'all are describing the interview hassles, it seems like it would probably be more trouble than actually just going through the lines when we fly. 

precheck interviews are abundant.  it's the GE interviews that are limited.  definitely get precheck, especially if the fee is reimbursed by your credit card.  if you're not travelling internationally then GE doesn't do anything additional for you.  

Edited by elfenix

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:

precheck interviews are abundant.  it's the GE interviews that are limited.  definitely get precheck, especially if the fee is reimbursed by your credit card.  if you're not travelling internationally then GE doesn't do anything additional for you.  

The thing is, we don't fly a lot. Like once or twice a year at most, and then a good portion of that is international. And I'd need 4 for the fam, not just for me. I'd get my PC/GE reimbursed, not sure about the wife (no pics, assholes). Maybe she would be reimbursed as well since she also has the card? But it's the same account, so I'm not sure & would need to check on that.

Just got GE last week at IAH. Kind of a pain in and out of the airport but time spent completing the application, interview etc it was less than an hour. Spent more time parking and walking back to car.

i don’t really fly international but for domestic work trips I’m thinking the precheck will be worth it.  Diners club reimbursed the $100 as well.

Had my appointment this morning.  Made the two hour trek from Leander.  183 and 35 are just delightful drives.  Jesus.  

Two hours there, for a 98 second interview.  Co-workers were telling me this thing was like two minutes, so I timed it.  From the time I sat down, did fingerprints, the photo and he explained how it worked, was 98 fucking seconds.  I didn't have to pay a parking fee because the entire time I was parked was less than fifteen minutes.

They can't do this shit at Bergstrom?  Or a private company?  When I got my LTC I went to some tiny office in Round Rock.  Just because this is related to flying, it has to be at a fucking airport?

Anyway, it's done.  Glad I scheduled early, because on my way back there was a wreck in San Marcos on southbound 35 and traffic was at a standstill for a good ten miles.  

13 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Yes but there's never a fucking appointment there.  I don't understand.

Austin has a pretty mobile and international flying population.  SA not as much.  I assume they have similar homeland officer staffing.  Supply and demand.  Plus I think SA had been doing interviews about a year before Bergstrom so a lot of GE peeps on SA got theirs done.

Edited by midtown

4 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Yes but there's never a fucking appointment there.  I don't understand.

as multiples have said, you need to keep checking the site for appointments, at a minimum daily.  if you need to, set a reminder on your work calendar.

When I did mine the first interview scheduled was something like 6 months out. 

less than 2 days later I found an open appointment about 4 months out. 

Then another week or two later, I found one another week earlier. 

and about 6 weeks in, Bergstrom added something like 60 interview spots on THAT Saturday morning.  Woke up, drove there,  waited 10 mins in the little room near the baggage claim, and my total interview lasted about 2-3 mins, got the global number, it went active immediately.     Got my Global Entry card about 4-5 days later in the mail.

So it took me around 6 weeks from final pre-approval to scheduled interview   instead of the 6+ months I originally signed up for.

• Like 1

My Global Entry expires this year in November.  It's the best money I ever spent, especially at the beginning when not as many people had it, especially parents with little kids.  I can't believe it's been 5 years.  I still wish there was a business express Global Entry/TSA Precheck.  

So I’ve had the TSA precheck for about 4 years now. Is there a discount on GE if you already have the other??

And this shit is crazy. I already have to carry a TWIC card for work which is the same damn background check and fingerprinting and shit.

I’m going to finally do GE as I’m back to traveling Intl several times a year but shit.

23 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

So I’ve had the TSA precheck for about 4 years now. Is there a discount on GE if you already have the other??

And this shit is crazy. I already have to carry a TWIC card for work which is the same damn background check and fingerprinting and shit.

I’m going to finally do GE as I’m back to traveling Intl several times a year but shit.

It's all a big ripoff by the govt.  When I worked for my old company, I did the TWIC and the PreCheck at the exact same location and filled out the exact same questions by the exact same guy.  Two different fees.  Then I got GE, no, you don't get a discount.  Your company should reimburse you though and a lot of the travelling cards will reimburse you for it.  Either way, it's worth it.  My time is worth it and paying 100 bucks for 5 years is a discount in my opinion.  

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

it's a lot easier to schedule a precheck interview than a GE one. 

This, plus most people fly domestically much more frequently than internationally, so like me, they wanted to get precheck because they're flying 3 or 4 times within the U.S. while not having anything on the radar internationally for a year or so.   Not worth the long wait to get both at the same time.

I'm going outta the country next July so I'll put in for GE now.

4 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

yeah, you can walk in to precheck at one of 20 locations in Houston and wait 15 minutes and get precheck.  GE is only done at the airport by appointment which takes months

Houston also does GE at the Houston Public Library. When I worked downtown, I walked to my interview.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

This, plus most people fly domestically much more frequently than internationally, so like me, they wanted to get precheck because they're flying 3 or 4 times within the U.S. while not having anything on the radar internationally for a year or so.   Not worth the long wait to get both at the same time.

I'm going outta the country next July so I'll put in for GE now.

IAH has a GE interview behind security (in the middle section between D and E), so if you're flying through IAH you can check if there's availability when you're going to be there anyway.  that's when i did mine.

9 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

yeah, you can walk in to precheck at one of 20 locations in Houston and wait 15 minutes and get precheck.  GE is only done at the airport by appointment which takes months

Lots of non airport locations now, was in and out in 5 minutes a few months ago when renewing mine. 

The Woodlands also has a location at city hall. It was a lot easier than driving to the airport. I don’t think it’s open every day so you’ll need to check the calendar.

Using GE with 4 yr olds is interesting. Customs gets a pic of the top of my head while I’m trying to get their finger prints to work out.

Anyone coming to DC for the Maryland game, you can set up appointments for GE interviews downtown at the Reagan Building...plenty of appointment times when I did it a few years ago.  And it takes seconds.  They just want your fingerprints and look you in the eyeballs.  I felt bad that they expedited my white ass when two Asian gentlemen were there before me and seemed like they were getting a much more intense set of questions.  But I got over it quickly.  PreCheck ya'll!

• 4 months later...
13 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

The kiosk part took about 30 seconds, but then I had to stand in line behind 45 other people.  The people without GE were getting through customs in the same amount of time we were.

What airport was this?  

I'll agree that customs and immigration has improved quite a bit.  Now that they have mobile passport and kiosks for even the normals things seem to move quicker.  My last return to the US at DFW at like noon I couldn't see a line for immigration at all and I was the only one using GE. 

My GE expires this month (but my Nexus is still valid for another year).  Has anyone done the renewal process? My boss who doesn’t have GE said the new app based entry form gets him through the line just as fast as GE.  Anyone have experience with the new app and if it’s not as good, what does it take for the GE rental?  

17 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Finally got to use GE.  It was alright.  The kiosk part took about 30 seconds, but then I had to stand in line behind 45 other people.  The people without GE were getting through customs in the same amount of time we were.  Not sure it's a time saver, but I'll still use it I guess.

17 hours ago, PilotsError said:

IAH

You got an overzealous CBP guy then who is new at his job or just fucking has a power trip.  I had one like that coming back from Colombia, also at IAH.  We were in line for about 20-25 minutes because he was actually questioning every one of the GE people.  Where were you, how long were you there, why were you there?

Look you wannabe commando sitting behind a desk, I'm sure you wish you were shooting at border jumpers and stopping Osama bin Laden from entering the country, but GE folks have already been vetted.  Just take my fucking slip of paper and tell me to have a nice day.

But that was the only time in my, so far, 3 years of using GE that it has happened.  Every other time is "Hi.  Welcome back to the US.  Have a nice day."

Edited by Js1

10 hours ago, Grimas said:

Anyone have experience with the new app and if it’s not as good, what does it take for the GE rental?

The mobile passport app is not new but I've read on some travel blogs that since so few people know about the mobile passport app can actually can be less crowded than the GE line but I assume as they continue to advertise it it will become more crowded.   This writer says he has both and just uses whichever one is faster.  I have both but I've never used the app.   For $20 a year it's still worth it to me have GE.

Edited by midtown

14 hours ago, Grimas said:

My GE expires this month (but my Nexus is still valid for another year).  Has anyone done the renewal process? My boss who doesn’t have GE said the new app based entry form gets him through the line just as fast as GE.  Anyone have experience with the new app and if it’s not as good, what does it take for the GE rental?  

If your GE expires, your TSA precheck will also expire, which is obviously not optimal. You'd then have to apply separately for that since it is thru the TSA, while GE is through CBP. I would just renew the GE and use the mobile passport as needed. 

Well I hate to give away the "secret" but I've used the mobile passport app 3 times now at IAH, LAX and EWR and every time it's gotten me through waaaaaaay faster than the GE line.  2 out of the 3 times, there was NO ONE else in the line and the one time there was, at IAH, it was a flight crew of like 4-5 folks.  One of the pilots condescendingly asked if I had the app, to which, with as much return condescension as I could muster, replied "No problem bro."

Domestically I maintain at least the lowest level of status with United so TSA Pre doesn't really help and is certainly not worth it so I haven't applied for GE.

12 minutes ago, midtown said:

What do United and pre have to do with each other?

Nothing really.  Just making the point that with status on United I can go in the Premier Access line, which is almost as good as TSA Pre.  Line is shorter, but still gotta take off shoes and whatnot so a little more PITA than TSA Pre but not enough to warrant buying TSA Pre IMO.

20 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Nothing really.  Just making the point that with status on United I can go in the Premier Access line, which is almost as good as TSA Pre.  Line is shorter, but still gotta take off shoes and whatnot so a little more PITA than TSA Pre but not enough to warrant buying TSA Pre IMO.

What?

You're wrong. Not having to pull your laptop, tablet, and toiletries out of your bag is what saves the time. Unless of course you get stuck behind some dumb shit who has no idea what they're doing.

21 hours ago, shakahorn said:

To the point that you're stuck with flying on just one airline?