Global Entry application

Armybrat

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

What?

You're wrong. Not having to pull your laptop, tablet, and toiletries out of your bag is what saves the time. Unless of course you get stuck behind some dumb shit who has no idea what they're doing.

100x this. Not to mention that the high tech scanner takes a lot longer than the x-ray and the line always backs up. 

• 4 months later...
19 hours ago, Parliament said:

I interviewed with the TSA on March 22, and was approved shortly after.  

When will I get my card?

How long did it take for the final approval?  I got mine Within about 30 minutes after my interview (a couple of months ago).  My wife did her interview Friday, all fine, but hasn’t received the status change yet.

While this has popped up again, I have pre but nothing else (don't travel internationally much anymore).  However we're going to the Caribbean this summer.  Is there any reason I should ramp up for Global for going out of/coming into Miami (international to/from the Caribbean)?

I believe Miami has more international arrivals than any other airport in the US.   The last time I landed in Miami coming back from Colombia the poors line looked pretty bad.  For $100 I'd go ahead and make sure its not an issue.  All you need is a few 78s or a 380 to land 20 mins before you and youll be screwed.

12 hours ago, midtown said:

I had my card within a few weeks but I've never used it.  Why do you care about your card?

I though I needed it.  Are you saying my passport can do it all?  

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The card can’t be used for shit except if you add the Canadian border crossing to it.

You just need your number which you should’ve been given at the interview.

I have my number.

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

How long did it take for the final approval?  I got mine Within about 30 minutes after my interview (a couple of months ago).  My wife did her interview Friday, all fine, but hasn’t received the status change yet.

Got it that day.

Correct. You just need your passport and make sure you’ve given your number to the airline so you get pre check printed on your ticket. The card can not be used to gain entry to pre check or global entry lines. It’s only used for expedited land entry to Canada if you signed up for that specifically. Maybe in the future they’ll roll out something you can use the card for, but right now that’s nothing.

• Like 1

I only use my card to get my KTN when I need it which is seldom since I've saved it on pretty much every airline.  I do carry it when I travel just so I have an extra form of government issued ID in case my passport gets stolen or lost. 

On 4/14/2019 at 7:33 AM, AustinMT said:

So a follow up in case anyone else has this issue:

We called the office where we did the interview, and the person answering the phone just said “sometimes it takes a while.”  A bit later, my wife called the main Customs 877 number and, after waiting on the line for about an hour, was told everything was showing up on their end except the officer had neglected to hit the final tab for the approval.  They could not correc t it, and said to call the field office again, She did, explained and was put through to an agent, who first started the “it can take a few days” speech then looked at the screen and realized they had forgotten to hit the right tab to finalize the approval.  Did it, and by the time she logged back on the site it was showing the final approval.

Pro-tip:  GE needs to be reviewed, I think every 5 years.  When you set up the account don't lose the passwords.  They'll come in handy when renewal comes.  You don't want to go through the hell of resets with the government

On 4/15/2019 at 8:54 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

I'm thinking about going ahead and getting the Global Entry and SAT is the closest processing office to me.   Any of you gone through the office at SAT?

The next available option is one of the international  bridges in the valley....   I think I'll pass....

Yes. Super easy going. Office right by baggage claim.

And to that point the "login.gov" site you use for this is incredibly sell set up and easy to use.  For security, after you log in, it texts you a secure login code as a 2nd step.
The Federal Government impressed me here.  I did not expect that.

The only thing that pisses me off is that you can only have 1 email account per login.gov account. I set my GE account up before login.gov and didn’t thing to port it over before I set my kids login.gov accounts up. My daughter got my email address. My other 2 kids got their own email addresses because I wised up. But damn. I was in a hurry and got caught... I used a secondary email when I had to port my GE over to update my passport in Dec so it wasn’t that big of a deal.

Mine just expired even though I believe that I just renewed my TSA Pre last year...I have had global entry for a while but going through the renewal process for Global Entry is a PITA.

5 years of where I lived, job history and travel outside the US. I completely guessed on countries, because it has to be at least 15 to 20.

I am just hoping that I don't have to go for an interview.

Edited by tucker

I grew up in Massachusetts and lots of bars there have a ridiculous rule where they don’t accept out of state ID without a second form of ID. When I go out up there when to visit family, I always use my global entry card as a secondary form of ID.

Otherwise, it’s useless.

2 hours ago, tucker said:

Mine just expired even though I believe that I just renewed my TSA Pre last year...I have had global entry for a while but going through the renewal process for Global Entry is a PITA.

5 years of where I lived, job history and travel outside the US. I completely guessed on countries, because it has to be at least 15 to 20.

I don't think they care too much about all of the past countries you visited unless they are on the watch list.

i have GE...i think i was arrested at least 5 times in my youth...lost count...anyways, wife and i both did our interview when returning through customs in Houston...lady asks my wife if she had ever been arrested, i immediately start trying to think of what my funny answer to that is going to be. when it's my turn, she just looks at the screen and approves my interview without asking any questions.

every time i go through GE, my stamp gets the big X and cut to the front of the line for the customs agent.

"Have you ever been arrested?"

"Are the Kennedy's gun shy?"

clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat GE related.  ATL you suck balls.  Not sure if this is what they do all the time but after clearing immigration in 5 mins in ATL I headed to security for my connection thinking its going to be a breeze with pre.    But no.   In ATL they were putting anyone with a US passport and all Pre Check into the same giant line.   It was chaos.   The lady in front of me who was GE as well and I just looked at each other like WTF? 

On 4/16/2019 at 12:14 PM, tucker said:

I've applied to renew as by GE expires in June.  My application has been "Awaiting Review" for weeks now.  TSA better not fuck this up.

55 minutes ago, midtown said:

Somewhat GE related.  ATL you suck balls.  Not sure if this is what they do all the time but after clearing immigration in 5 mins in ATL I headed to security for my connection thinking its going to be a breeze with pre.    But no.   In ATL they were putting anyone with a US passport and all Pre Check into the same giant line.   It was chaos.   The lady in front of me who was GE as well and I just looked at each other like WTF? 

Get Clear.  Often don’t need it but worth it for this

2 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Get Clear.  Often don’t need it but worth it for this

I have it.  Clear simply lets you skip the ID check but no ID checks so NO help here.   This wasn't regular security like you have at every other airport I flown into from out of the country after clearing.   DFW, PHL, JFK, SFO, DEN, IAH, Etc.  This was a security area set up specifically to handle people leaving customs and immigration. 

1 hour ago, MAROON said:

I've applied to renew as by GE expires in June.  My application has been "Awaiting Review" for weeks now.  TSA better not fuck this up.

I started the renewal process the first week of March since my GE expired at the end of the month. I just got my approval notification a couple of days ago. At least I did not have to go in for an interview. 

Also, paid for it on the Amex and immediately got my $100 credit. That was nice that it just worked. 

40 minutes ago, midtown said:

I have it.  Clear simply lets you skip the ID check but no ID checks so NO help here.   This wasn't regular security like you have at every other airport I flown into from out of the country after clearing.   DFW, PHL, JFK, SFO, DEN, IAH, Etc.  This was a security area set up specifically to handle people leaving customs and immigration. 

Like the one at IAH that is just upstairs from the baggage claim/recheck bags area? It’s brutal. I finally figured out to keep walking past that, out the doors and then down the escalator to the subway to terminal C.

2 hours ago, MAROON said:

I submitted mine 3 weeks ago and still awaiting review too.

On 7/13/2018 at 2:05 PM, woohorn said:

What is the interview about if they have already done a background check and applicant has a passport?

it's mostly you stating that everything is accurate and they ask any questions they want about items in your background, and they see everything, even shit thats been expunged. Then they take a picture for the card.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, midtown said:

Ugh — that sucks

mobile passport was fast as fuck in SFO on sunday night.  GE line was also short and may have been a touch faster. 
I saw an ad for the mobile passport at the airport the other day. How does that work? How is it different than ge or just a regular passport?

Mobile passport is a free app to install on your phone. You create a profile, then when you arrive you answer the basic inspection questions and take a picture of yourself after you land. An officer will scan your code the app gives you.

It looks like it can be helpful, but I don't see the need of you have global entry.

10 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
1 hour ago, elfenix said:
mobile passport was fast as fuck in SFO on sunday night.  GE line was also short and may have been a touch faster. 

I saw an ad for the mobile passport at the airport the other day. How does that work? How is it different than ge or just a regular passport?

download app, use it to fill in customs dec form with passport info and take your own picture.  hit submit as you're taxiing/deplaning, it comes back with a QR code that you hand to the agent (i gave him my passport but i'm not sure he looked at it).  those get scanned and you're waved through.  it's basically the regular passport process but automated instead of waiting in line with all the other schmucks with their hand printed customs dec card.  note that the non-paid version of the app does not store your passport or draft customs dec information, so it might be worth the few bucks to buy that if you're frequently using it. 

i have yet to use my GE so i don't know the exact difference.

Edited by elfenix

2 hours ago, next2naus said:

it's mostly you stating that everything is accurate and they ask any questions they want about items in your background, and they see everything, even shit thats been expunged. Then they take a picture for the card.

And fingerprints too

42 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

I have both GE and mobile passport. Sometimes one line or the other is backed up, so with two options you're better off

I've never waited for a GE kiosk once and the longest I've ever waited for a CBP officer is about 5 mins with GE. 

If you don't GE then yes get mobile passport.  

Edited by midtown

I have GE, my coworkers don't.  They have mobile passport.  We're either through customs in the same amount of time, or they beat me.  I really don't know why I use GE still.  I guess because I paid a hundred bucks for it.  MP is probably the future.

I do have CLEAR though, and that's been bad ass.  Sometimes the time saving is merely a minute or two, sometimes it's about 20.  

On 5/1/2019 at 11:08 AM, justhookit said:

Like the one at IAH that is just upstairs from the baggage claim/recheck bags area? It’s brutal. I finally figured out to keep walking past that, out the doors and then down the escalator to the subway to terminal C.

Stop the presses.  Do you not have to wait in another security line for a connecting flight if you do it your way?

I fucking hate that security check up the escalators from the International baggage claim.  No pre-check, usually at least a 10 min wait, then you have to pull everything out of your bag and get undressed.  I always assumed I'd have to wait in a security line if I went a different way, and I figured it wouldn't end up savings any time since it would take me a while to get to the other security check anyway.

1 minute ago, Wiler77 said:

Stop the presses.  Do you not have to wait in another security line for a connecting flight if you do it your way?

I fucking hate that security check up the escalators from the International baggage claim.  No pre-check, usually at least a 10 min wait, then you have to pull everything out of your bag and get undressed.  I always assumed I'd have to wait in a security line if I went a different way, and I figured it wouldn't end up savings any time since it would take me a while to get to the other security check anyway.

No, you still have to go thru security in another terminal. But You can do pre-check and the line is almost always shorter anyway. Anything to avoid that clusterfuck up the escalators. A few weeks ago I did it when the line started AT the escalators and beat the (global entry) people I was traveling with to our gate in C by over 45 minutes.

• Like 1

Last foreign trip my wife and I took was Japan and she has GE but I don't (my excuse is that I didn't know about it and my wife just assumed I had it already as if I'm Mr Moneybags or something). I got through quicker than she did. She got interrogated by some border officer and I got a simple "welcome home, go cowboys" at DFW airport.

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

Last foreign trip my wife and I took was Japan and she has GE but I don't (my excuse is that I didn't know about it and my wife just assumed I had it already as if I'm Mr Moneybags or something). I got through quicker than she did. She got interrogated by some border officer and I got a simple "welcome home, go cowboys" at DFW airport.

There's always the one overzealous CBP douche who interrogates GE people as if we're poors.