Global Entry application

Armybrat

I renewed my son's GE. Instant approval.
The card is worthless if you are traveling by air. Some people have reported being asked for it in order to use the kiosks
I was told that (erroneously) in Montreal. I talked to the supervisor after we got through, and he said just go to the kiosk. If it gives you a receipt, you're good to go. If not, get in line.

I’ve never been asked but this is why I carry it on most every trip.

Even though they say it’s only required for arrival by land or sea from Canada or Mexico I don’t put it past customs to no misapply their own policies.
Fuckers at Montreal airport don't know how the fucking program works.

• 2 months later...

Just got an offer for 3 free months of Clear.  I had signed up for a free trial a few years ago when traveling with the family (as I have GE but they don't).  Worked fine for our trip and then I cancelled the trial after the trip.

This came via email so I'm not sure if anyone can get the same trial but here are the details (My plan is to sign up by the 29th for the 3 month free trial again and then cancel in August after the next family trip...):

*Terms apply. Limited time only—offer valid through 5/29/23. After your free trial, CLEAR Plus Membership renews at $189/year. Family Member accounts renew annually at $70 each per year after initial free trial term and are billed to the Primary Member account. Cancel anytime before your free trial ends.

I renewed by Global Entry back in December.  Still no approval.  They are saying 11 month processing times.  WTF. I do have clear, but they don't have clear processing at JFK Terminal 8, which is where I fly from 90% of the time. Thankfully, they have extended my GE until it gets approved.  How have you lucky fuckers gotten yours through so quickly?

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I renewed by Global Entry back in December.  Still no approval.  They are saying 11 month processing times.  WTF. I do have clear, but they don't have clear processing at JFK Terminal 8, which is where I fly from 90% of the time. Thankfully, they have extended my GE until it gets approved.  How have you lucky fuckers gotten yours through so quickly?

clearly they don't review internet history

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

clearly they don't review internet history

Lol.  I'm going to guess I applied at a shit time and ended up in a massive queue.  That, and I went to Egypt in the last 5 years.  I do not even remember if I listed every country I've traveled to.  I think I got then all, but you never know.

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Lol.  I'm going to guess I applied at a shit time and ended up in a massive queue.  That, and I went to Egypt in the last 5 years.  I do not even remember if I listed every country I've traveled to.  I think I got then all, but you never know.

i've been to morocco but that was prior to the first GE card so i guess that's ok as far as the renewal is concerned.  china is the iffiest country i went to between renewals. 

On 5/20/2023 at 5:49 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It seems to be totally fucking random. I applied like 7 months ago and it just said pending with no other details. Then my wife applied and got approved immediately. Then my application got approved within a week. We’ve traveled to the exact same places. 

Fortunately they seem to give everyone a free pass while they deal with the backlog (which is further proof that this is all just a scam to extract money from us to skip the line). 

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

It seems to be totally fucking random. I applied like 7 months ago and it just said pending with no other details. Then my wife applied and got approved immediately. Then my application got approved within a week. We’ve traveled to the exact same places. 

Fortunately they seem to give everyone a free pass while they deal with the backlog (which is further proof that this is all just a scam to extract money from us to skip the line). 

Hmmm.  So frustrating.  Oh well, they said that your GE is extended for up to 2 years while they deal with the backlog.  When I traveled in March (I renewed in December, with an expiration in January), everything was still good to go.  What a shitshow.

I really need to get Gold status on BA so I can use First Class check in since TSA PreCheck line is a complete crap shoot.

• 6 months later...
On 5/20/2022 at 7:11 PM, Biff Tannen said:

There's also this app called Mobile Passport now that works well if you don't have GE.  That said, don't use it if you have GE, as it will "void" your GE for that trip.  GE people still get to go first, but Mobile Passport helps you clear customs quickly.

Can you expound on "...as it will void your GE for that trip?"  Wife and I typically travel internationally only once/twice a year and have been using Mobile Passport (now called MPC for MobilePassportControl) for 10 years or so and it works well.  Just came back from LHR last month and breezed through customs at IAD.

Figure it's about time to finally get off my ass and apply for GE, but mostly because it includes TSAPre and the cost will be covered by a cc.  But have always wondered how it would affect the use of Mobile Passport.

3 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Can you expound on "...as it will void your GE for that trip?"  Wife and I typically travel internationally only once/twice a year and have been using Mobile Passport (now called MPC for MobilePassportControl) for 10 years or so and it works well.  Just came back from LHR last month and breezed through customs at IAD.

Figure it's about time to finally get off my ass and apply for GE, but mostly because it includes TSAPre and the cost will be covered by a cc.  But have always wondered how it would affect the use of Mobile Passport.

Honestly, no I cannot, since my post was from a year and a half ago when I had just gotten back from the Bahamas.  So not sure what I meant then.

If you are getting GE anyway, you shouldn't need Mobile Passport anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/21/2023 at 7:55 PM, 4th and 5 said:

My wife applied for renewal a few months ago and got approved within days. I applied for renewal a few days after her and am still not approved.

I still do not have my approval from last December.  So that is fun.  I must have applied at the height of renewals.  Fuckers.

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

It's really weird... how long have you had it?

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

Really weird... did you do everything online?

We renewed our entire family of four and each one of us ended up getting automatic renewal in a matter of 2-3 days.  

4 hours ago, midtown said:
4 hours ago, texasdago said:
Really weird... did you do everything online?

We renewed our entire family of four and each one of us ended up getting automatic renewal in a matter of 2-3 days.  

Same. Both me and kids were simply renewed almost instantly

2 hours ago, tigol said:

I’ve been waiting since July. Did everything online. Sigh.

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

It's really weird... how long have you had it?

I actually asked them, since I am coming up on a year.  I have had Global Entry since 2012, and when I renewed back in 2017, I got my approval and renewal in less than 2 weeks.  They are now saying up to 12 months.  I guess if I still do not have anyting by December 19th, then I reach out again.  I have reached out to my Congress person (Nadler), who was useless.  If nothing by December 19th, I might reach out to Chuck Schumer when I reach back out to CBP.  This whole thing is ridiculous.  And yes, I renewed online.  Everything is right.  It is so dumb.

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I actually asked them, since I am coming up on a year.  I have had Global Entry since 2012, and when I renewed back in 2017, I got my approval and renewal in less than 2 weeks.  They are now saying up to 12 months.  I guess if I still do not have anyting by December 19th, then I reach out again.  I have reached out to my Congress person (Nadler), who was useless.  If nothing by December 19th, I might reach out to Chuck Schumer when I reach back out to CBP.  This whole thing is ridiculous.  And yes, I renewed online.  Everything is right.  It is so dumb.

Baffling.  We've had it about the same amount of time and we just logged in, updated some information, checked everything, paid and all of us got the approval back quickly.  I hate bureaucracy.  At least give thanks that you also don't have to deal with the Italian government like I do.  That's a whole different level of banging your head against a wall. 

• 1 month later...

My Global Entry is expiring in March so I submitted a renewal application yesterday. Got approval today that I'm good to go. No interview needed.  Less than a 24 hour turnaround.  Nice service there, federal government bureaucracy.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
My Global Entry is expiring in March so I submitted a renewal application yesterday. Got approval today that I'm good to go. No interview needed.  Less than a 24 hour turnaround.  Nice service there, federal government bureaucracy.

I am flying tomorrow and a shitload over the next 2 weeks. I just noticed I don’t have TSA Precheck because my Global Entry expired - no email warning or anything.
I already applied for renewal today and hoping I get something like this.
It’s been more than a decade since I traveled without precheck. Crazy. Back of the line with the plebs.

On 11/30/2023 at 5:30 PM, texasdago said:

Baffling.  We've had it about the same amount of time and we just logged in, updated some information, checked everything, paid and all of us got the approval back quickly.  I hate bureaucracy.  At least give thanks that you also don't have to deal with the Italian government like I do.  That's a whole different level of banging your head against a wall. 

I did finally get my conditional approval while I was in Asia.  I did my interview on re-entry in the US.  All good.  I had not interviewed since I first entered the program in 2011 or 2012.  This was only my second renewal.

Approaching 2 months applying for Global Entry ( after previously having it but letting it expire a couple of years). Still waiting on conditional approval.

girlfriend applied the day before I did and conditionally approved within a week

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Approaching 2 months applying for Global Entry ( after previously having it but letting it expire a couple of years). Still waiting on conditional approval.

Maybe you should stop smuggling drugs

Myself as well as both my kids were insta-reapproved

On 3/2/2024 at 3:35 PM, nycHorn said:

I am flying tomorrow and a shitload over the next 2 weeks. I just noticed I don’t have TSA Precheck because my Global Entry expired - no email warning or anything.
It’s been more than a decade since I traveled without precheck. Crazy. Back of the line with the plebs.

Same. It’s been the greatest indignity I’ve suffered in my life. 

• 1 month later...

Finally got off my ass and used the credit from Chase to sign the wife (no pics) and me up.  Submitted the app around 4/8, got conditionally approved 4/10, was able to make an appt last night 4/16 and got approved today 4/17.  The appt making process was odd, when I first checked it had availability all day 4/25 and 4/26 but by the time the wife got home from work and I could firm up a good time, all the appts were gone.  Checked a couple days later and they had appts every day of the week this week, all times of day. Not sure why it was so fast but not about to question it.  Also the Chase reimbursement happened automatically, same day as the $100 charge showed up.

So during the pandemic both my wife and I had our global entry lapse. Along with that my wife’s passport also expired, that process partially detailed here.

I renewed global entry July 2022 for the TSA PreCheck when I started taking flights to visit my dad more frequently (fuck cancer). I was approved in 2 days with no need for an interview. This was on roughly 1 year expired  

My wife did her reapplication immediately after getting her passport renewed in August. Still waiting, so 8 months. Granted this was on a 2 year passport expiration, 2+ year global entry expiration. But still, this is ridiculous.

We also just got our 4 year old his passport (for our trip to Curaçao) and applied for him to do Global Entry too (he gets TSAPre because of us, but not Global Entry). His application (early Feb this year) was immediately after his passport arrived. He was approved in 24 hours (probably because he’s 4). Though we cancelled his interview for Global Entry on April 9th because my wife having to take the line ride we figured he can just go with her (and that interview date was not convenient anymore).

Our new interview plan Is to get them to go to Logan or Derby Line (Canada/Vermont border) together when she’s approved. Until she approved for GE, there isn’t as much need for him to be. Besides I don’t see another international trip for at least 6-12 months. 

On 3/2/2024 at 5:35 PM, nycHorn said:

my last five times flying out of Austin the regular line has been significantly shorter than pre check. Most bailed on pre check to go over to the regular line. 

6 hours ago, PilotsError said:

my last five times flying out of Austin the regular line has been significantly shorter than pre check. Most bailed on pre check to go over to the regular line. 

I never jump. I don't pack or dress for the regular line, so I don't want to make the jump.

5 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

My wife (no pics) had an opportunity pop up to go to the UK in June. She has pre-check, not global entry. Is there any path to getting GE prior to her trip? In not, now much hassle is she in for coming back through DFW?

Short answer - no.

She will have to apply for global entry to get it. She might get a quick approval, she might not, but it's a crap shoot. Given the cost (she will have to pay full price for it), she might wait for her TSAPre to expire and get Global Entry when it expires.

6 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

My wife (no pics) had an opportunity pop up to go to the UK in June. She has pre-check, not global entry. Is there any path to getting GE prior to her trip? In not, now much hassle is she in for coming back through DFW?

As I said upthread, i was lucky enough to get GE in about 10 days total, but given all the info in this thread, that would have to be the exception, not the rule.  You could give the normal process a try, and as long as you have a cc that will cover the cost, really no harm done.

But I think your best bet is to use the Mobile Passport Control app.  I've used it several times at many US airports, but not DFW.  The line for mobile has almost always been shorter than the GE line, and in the couple cases where it was not shorter, it was comparable.

I really only got GE because I wanted TSAPre and my cc covered the cost.  I think, at least for the time being, the mobile app is plenty good enough

As I said upthread, i was lucky enough to get GE in about 10 days total, but given all the info in this thread, that would have to be the exception, not the rule.  You could give the normal process a try, and as long as you have a cc that will cover the cost, really no harm done.
But I think your best bet is to use the Mobile Passport Control app.  I've used it several times at many US airports, but not DFW.  The line for mobile has almost always been shorter than the GE line, and in the couple cases where it was not shorter, it was comparable.
I really only got GE because I wanted TSAPre and my cc covered the cost.  I think, at least for the time being, the mobile app is plenty good enough

Thanks all. Sounds like MPC is the way to go.

17 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I never jump. I don't pack or dress for the regular line, so I don't want to make the jump.

Short answer - no.

She will have to apply for global entry to get it. She might get a quick approval, she might not, but it's a crap shoot. Given the cost (she will have to pay full price for it), she might wait for her TSAPre to expire and get Global Entry when it expires.

Also depending on how long her conditional approval takes, she could do an interview on arrival coming back upon landing

To complete the interview via EoA, you must be in possession of the following documents:

• A valid passport. If you travel using more than one passport, please bring them all to the interview so that the information can be added to your file. 
  • Documents providing evidence of residency. Examples are: driver's license (if the address is current), mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill, etc. This is not required for minors.
  • A permanent resident card (if applicable).

Oh yeah, after I got conditional approval and scheduled my interview, I got an email from CBP saying 'hey why don't you do Enrollment on Arrival instead?'  Since I don't have any trips scheduled, I didn't think much of it.  Plus it seems like a tarp! when you get back, oh no sir, sorry, you can't do that here, you have to do it somewhere else 1000 miles away and only between the hours of 1000a and 1005a.

51 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Oh yeah, after I got conditional approval and scheduled my interview, I got an email from CBP saying 'hey why don't you do Enrollment on Arrival instead?'  Since I don't have any trips scheduled, I didn't think much of it.  Plus it seems like a tarp! when you get back, oh no sir, sorry, you can't do that here, you have to do it somewhere else 1000 miles away and only between the hours of 1000a and 1005a.

I did it coming back from Cabo (at DEN).  They have a separate line just for EoA and it took about 45 seconds. 

• Hook 'Em 1