Jim Jordan

Hank Kingsley

On 7/22/2018 at 2:31 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Franken was pushed for making unwanted passes at women.  Mostly trying to get to first base.

i have never seen a definite definition of the bases.. but i thought this was trying to get to second base.

DOw2dsTX0AUC0J0.jpg

Franken had to resign because a string of women credibly accused him of forcing kisses, fondling their asses, and other unwanted sexual conduct over an extended period of time:  http://amp.timeinc.net/time/5042931/al-franken-accusers

He resigned.   Conyers resigned.   The Dem party has drawn a line and it's a good one.   Meanwhile, the Rs keep lowering their standards without suffering consequences from their supposedly religious base.  That's frustrating to many Ds, but that doesn't make the Dem's course of action wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

The American people deserve a speaker who won't allow creepy people to put their fingers in athletes and that's exactly what they'll get with Jim Jordan.  The era of big government and stinky pinkies is finally over.  

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

It's amazing that people are taking his bid for Speaker seriously. 

He reeks of desperation, as if he either needs to cover something up, or he knows Speaker maybe the most he can ever aspire to because he has too much of a past. 

Its just odd how he acts about everything. 

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I’m not sure I disagree with Jordan on this one. Not his stupid “WE WANT OUR FREEDOM BACK!!!” histrionics. But it would be nice to know the numeric thresholds that would allow certain relaxations. I don’t understand why it’s difficult to provide those and, in fact, I believe releasing guidelines would have a positive social impact by incentivizing vaccine fence-straddlers to get a shot.

This constant refusal to clarify our vaccine and case number goals just feeds the right wing narrative of deep state oppression and an indefinite loss of freedom.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I’m not sure I disagree with Jordan on this one. Not his stupid “WE WANT OUR FREEDOM BACK!!!” histrionics. But it would be nice to know the numeric thresholds that would allow certain relaxations. I don’t understand why it’s difficult to provide those and, in fact, I believe releasing guidelines would have a positive social impact by incentivizing vaccine fence-straddlers to get a shot.

This constant refusal to clarify our vaccine and case number goals just feeds the right wing narrative of deep state oppression and an indefinite loss of freedom.

You do realize that with a virus that quite literally mutates faster than you pass gas in combination with the heterogeneous public health measures in this country makes your request foolhardy and virtually impossible to be fulfilled. This is exactly why Fauci is not giving an exact number or timeline because he would be disingenuous to guarantee anything.

The only solution is vaccination and the hope is that the evolution of the virus won't be such that these current vaccines won't be rendered ineffective.

Never agree with Gym Jordan on anything. 1st Amendment rights have never been under attack during the pandemic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Other issue is the second a hard number is given on case count for example is the second some hoax asshole politician shutters testing centers. Bc remember, the only reason it even exists is bc we tested for it!

55 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

this is fucking embarrassing. i remember when republicans used to claim to be the party of reason and logic, and it was the democrats that played with and stoked hysteria. jordan is fucking hysterical in that clip, and the thing is, he fucking knows better, but he has to pull his lindsey graham "shout at the devil" act to perform for his master. the thing is, trump is out of office and you are catering to a dying populace. i fucking hate this clown. it's exacerbated by his refusal to wear a fucking coat in the halls of congress. what is that? i'd respect him more if he wore a coat and no tie. he's a stooge.

further, he's asking about first amendment rights and right to assemble. uh, did he see the blm protests or the michigan capital insurrection, or, you know, remember WHEN THE VERY CHAMBER IN WHICH HE SITS WAS FUCKING STORMED? people have assembled, congressman, you fucking twat. sorry your church enforces social distancing as a responsible protective measure for your congregation you dissembling piece of shit.

22 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

the reason jordan is pressing for a hard number is to score political points. either the number will be impossibly low or we'll cross it and he'll declare victory and then a variant might fuck us over, because people that vote for jordan refuse the vax. instead of pushing the number, jordan should be pushing for the vaccines. but he's not. has he come out publicly and said he's had the vaccine? probably not (i don't feel like looking), but i'd bet the fucking house he has. fuck him forever. also, he presided over molestation and did nothing.  it seems like the louder and angrier republican members of the house are (ahem, matt gaetz), the more shit they have in their past that merits scrutiny.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

either the number will be impossibly low or we'll cross it and he'll declare victory and then a variant might fuck us over,

So fucking explain that. “I believe we can relax mask recommendations when the vaccination rate is X% and daily infection number is Z, but only if the vaccines are Y% effective against the variants circulating at that time.” The fact that the answer isn’t a single number or is contingent on multiple conditions is not a reason to be hopelessly vague. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, BrickHorn said:

So fucking explain that. “I believe we can relax mask recommendations when the vaccination rate is X% and daily infection number is Z, but only if the vaccines are Y% effective against the variants circulating at that time.” The fact that the answer isn’t a single number or is contingent on multiple conditions is not a reason to be hopelessly vague. 

fauci has his issues, but honestly, jordan was after a political answer, if best. also, it's important to note that he was basically haranguing fauci instead of rationally questioning him. hell, even when fauci started to answer, jordan would cut him off and start shouting again. 

you want an answer, wait for it, don't just start shouting at the person whom you are questioning. 

fuck jordan. he's a fucking tool. i want things back to normalish as much as anyone. but we clearly aren't there, and there are a lot of moving parts to this thing still. concrete answers are hard to come by, and the second fauci started to do what you suggest, he was getting jordan's insincere ire thrown at him immediately.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Scientists suck at communicating. It's also an issue with climate science and has been for decades. The inability to speak in plain language with concrete numbers undermines the public's trust in the scientific community, particularly when science is the basis for changes to the public's lives. It's a real problem, but one of the issues is that scientists realize they're in a society that has been brainwashed not to trust them for a long time. So instead of being straightforward and honest they now do everything they can to avoid giving any concrete answers.

Scientists talking like politicians is both a result of the stupidity that has taken over this country in the last 40 years and also will be a cause of the continued stupidity for the next 40 years. And we can only hope that it doesn't last longer than that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The inability to speak in plain language with concrete numbers undermines the public's trust in the scientific community,

Exactly. And refusing to answer Jordan’s question, even if only by saying “I think it’s reasonable for CDC to provide some specific guidance and I’ll work with them to do that,” just feeds all the dumbass conspiracy theories. Because, regardless what any of us think of Jordan personally or politically, it is legitimate to note that the initial message was that precautionary measures would only last two weeks, but it’s now been over a year and we still don’t have any guidance from CDC about what we need to achieve before life can return to normal. 

I understand that we may not have all the answers, but just telling the public that the CDC will know safe when it sees it is not fucking helpful. And it’s the kind of shit that gives idiots an excuse to keep acting like idiots and further extend the pandemic.

• Hook 'Em 3

News flash:  idiots need no excuses to keep acting like idiots.  Including Gym. 

Anthony Fauci is not going to define national policy Ex Cathedra in a 2-minute response.  He doesn't have the authority, regardless.  Is he a silver-tongued devil?  No, he's not.  He's pissed and he's frustrated.  Sure, he SHOULD have said "the CDC and other agencies are working to define those metrics" but he didn't.  It doesn't mean Jordan isn't a monumental drooling fuckstick.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:

Certainly the answer isn’t “when 90% of congress gets vaccinated” so fuck the chairman for throwing out that idiotic response too. 

That was a legit comment, given how many Republicans in Congress refuse to get vaccinated or won't say they've been vaccinated, simply because they don't want to upset their base.

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think it's Fauci's role to define those measures ad hoc just to satisfy a grandstanding Congressman.

It's not.  Gym no longer has a friend in the White House, so all he can do is try and score points and get mentioned (in a good way) on twitter.

He's a spoiled little brat that wants to play word games, and asks the teacher when he can do something, and the teacher responds with "in 15 or 20 minutes when most the other kids have their work done", and he proceeds to keep checking the clock and checking every kid's work so he can score points with the class.

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

That was really hard to watch. Both guys were pissing me off. There's no excuse for Fauci refusing to give us concrete thresholds for relaxing restrictions, neither is there any excuse for Gym being such a bitch about muh freedoms. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It doesn't mean Jordan isn't a monumental drooling fuckstick.

Okay, but that’s beside the point. Even monumental drooling fucksticks can raise legitimate points. In this case, it’s legitimate to ask for some specific guidance from the experts who are guiding policy.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Anthony Fauci has very little to do with whatever minor restrictions are still in place.  Jordan is picking on a target who is popular with his base, but in reality the states set their policies, and all of this 1A bullshit is just that -- bullshit.  Nobody's 1A freedoms have been "stripped".  For fuck's sake, Gym is trying to imply that the shutting down of churches violates "peaceable assembly" rights, when those rights were not grounded in anything remotely related to Sunday morning church attendance.  Those rights are about peaceful political protest.

That fucker would have complained about zinc pennies in WW2.

• Like 1

To those crowing for specifics from Fauci, you guys have conveniently forgotten that Fauci has previously suggested 70-85% of the population needs to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity. Is the country anywhere close to that? No? So why are you coming down on him for not giving him any new "concrete" answers when there aren't any?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

News flash:  idiots need no excuses to keep acting like idiots.  Including Gym. 

Anthony Fauci is not going to define national policy Ex Cathedra in a 2-minute response.  He doesn't have the authority, regardless.  Is he a silver-tongued devil?  No, he's not.  He's pissed and he's frustrated.  Sure, he SHOULD have said "the CDC and other agencies are working to define those metrics" but he didn't.  It doesn't mean Jordan isn't a monumental drooling fuckstick.

Your point about policy in 2 minutes is valid. It is going to be an impossible tightrope for Fauci, when the situation is that

• Rep Jordan is acting in bad faith/grandstanding
  • The newest variant P1 is now IN the US and is even more contagious (latest I saw was 2-2.5x faster than B117) and is now perhaps able to overcome the vaccine efficacy by a certain degree and is hitting younger age groups for whom there is not a vaccine I believe?

How does Fauci explain that so that people who are operating in bad faith, against vaccinations, or live in an area where the newer variant is not yet spreading (rather like Texas pre July last year before we got hit)? People cannot seem to grasp his explanation of how humans are ALWAYS behind the vaccine and playing catchup and with the global travel in the US not yet halted and the P1 currently climbing in British Columbia, with whom we share a border and California which is in the US and those are just the tested cases that we know about. Testing requests in the US are going down, not up and the whole thing is just a hot mess.

If Jordan were acting in good faith instead of politicizing this for points, that discussion could be very fruitful because we are at a tipping point right now. The one thing the vaccines may do is keep the spread of a variant from getting worse, but the virus will be consistently working to get around that like water against a dam and the larger population of 'muh freedom' may push us over the edge.

Just now, UDontKnow said:

To those crowing for specifics from Fauci, you guys have conveniently forgotten that Fauci has previously suggested 70-85% of the population needs to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity. Is the country anywhere close to that? No? So why are you coming down on him for not giving him any new "concrete" answers when there aren't any?

Because from the clips I watched, it appears that he refused to provide any guidance whatsoever. And that is counterproductive, because it feeds conservative bullshit narratives.

good commentary here. i too was feeling a bit like 'wellll...yeah it's kind of a good question that i wish Fauci would/could answer more clearly/quantitatively...but my god Jordan is such a flaming prick, fuck him and his grandstanding histrionics!" 

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Okay, but that’s beside the point. Even monumental drooling fucksticks can raise legitimate points. In this case, it’s legitimate to ask for some specific guidance from the experts who are guiding policy.

And guess what? The CDC has been giving clear routine guidance and updates to that guidance since the start of the Biden administration. Gym Jordan has never made a legitimate point aside from political grandstanding and pandering to his Trumpian base. Do you think Gym Jordan gives a shit if more Americans are hospitalized with long term sequela from COVID infection? Do you think he gives a shit about the death toll? No, he does not. He is carrying on a Republican attack on science that started right around the time of the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine and sadly people continue to buy in to it.

Also, as it has been mentioned before - Fauci has nothing to do with 1st Amendment rights. He only gives his suggestion for public health measures. We live in a privileged country that unwilling to adapt and do what is necessarily to keep our fellow neighbors healthy and safe.

• Hook 'Em 1

And it’s cracking me up that several posters on this thread have succinctly laid out a variety of factors relevant to evaluating when it would be safe to relax precautions, and then concluded “How could world renowned epidemiologist Anthony Fauci possibly have explained this?” 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I'd have been cool with him giving that answer today. Just dodging the questions was annoying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Because from the clips I watched, it appears that he refused to provide any guidance whatsoever. And that is counterproductive, because it feeds conservative bullshit narratives.

It's a non-starter.  What freedoms are currently being abridged?  If a store wants to require masks of all their employees and customers, that's not a government thing, that's a store thing.

There ARE no freedoms under assault, unless I'm missing something.  

"It is a tale told by an idiot, 

Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

-- Bill Shakespeare

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

you want your answer?  i'll give you your damn answer.

gym's maggats get their liberties back when the r-naught is <1.

and as long as they play stupid maggat games, that's never going to happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hookah Horns said:

I'd have been cool with him giving that answer today. Just dodging the questions was annoying. 

Perhaps, but then the follow up from Gym would have been...."well when is that gonna happen?"

Gym definitely lost his credibility when he criticized Waters for saying the Chair of Whichever Committee She Heads (my apologies I have forgotten which committee) said she loves you. Then it was crystal clear that it was political grandstanding and a waste of American taxpayer money at the point. Let Fauci and Walensky go back to their offices and continue to trying to be constructive.