Jim Jordan

Hank Kingsley

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

So the left should remove another qualified person because he cannot turn water into wine and doesn’t pass the purity test, and because he cannot predict the future and has made minor mistakes in messaging.

R’s only tolerate that type of incompetence from the GOP.

No, but to Brick’s earlier point, by this point don’t we know enough about this disease to at least have some ideas as to a finish line?  I don’t think I should still be wondering about that now that the adults are in charge again.

It is perplexing to me why no one will provide an answer as to what the finish line even looks like, much less a timeline for when we might get there.  

I agree Fauci shouldn’t make something up on the spot, but I do not understand how we have the big brains thinking about this nonstop and there isn’t already a pat answer to such a question. Why is that?

also, fuck gym jordan. 

ps - I love Roger Staubach. He’s still over counting by at least 1. 

Edited by NameAlreadyInUse
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

It is perplexing to me why no one will provide an answer as to what the finish line even looks like, much less a timeline for when we might get there

Is it not widely accepted that we need about 70% of the populace to be vaccinated?  

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Gym won’t calm down.  Replace Fauci and that will just give Gym somebody else to foam at the mouth at.   

It was never about Fauci.  It was about defending Daddy Trump and pandering to the most ignorant members of his base.  

i'm still struggling with the logic dissonance of a biological ATTACK on freedumbs and liberties.   freedumbs people had no problem with a war on an axiomatic adjective ("terra") but this is an actual act of god or act of nature and gym is ATTACKING fauci as if fauci is the one who is responsible for the biological ATTACK.   the american dipshits have been under ATTACK for a year, when are you going to stop it Mr. Fauci?

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is honestly what needs to happen.  This is why the Dems suck at the game.  CALL THESE DISINGENUOUS ASSHOLES ON THEIR DISINGENUOUS SHIT.  

this is what kills me.  my side is TRYING NOT TO WIN.  they have a lead with a sword to the opponent's throat and they go full turtle.  this is not the senate.  there are no rules against calling out bitchassedness.  the chair of that committee should have stepped in and dressed down gym right there on the spot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

It is perplexing to me why no one will provide an answer as to what the finish line even looks like, much less a timeline for when we might get there.

multiple posts in this thread:

the moment a finish line is declared in any way shape or form regardless of percentages, dates, anything, the moment anything concrete is declared, stupid people will stop getting vaccinated.  this point has been made over and over and over in this thread in the past 48 hours.

@Fudge Nuggets is prescis: "93.61% confidence level that we will be in the clear once 87.384% of the population is fully vaccinated"

take the air out of the room with chewbacca attack gobbledygook.  the hate engine will burn a jabillion calories in a jizz-jar circle-jerk trying to parse it like flatlanders looking at the shadow of a tessaract.   in 12 hours they will move on when they can't arrive at an easy soundbite.

wash, rinse, repeat.

this is so easy.

the dems are running the greg davis 3rd & 2.

• Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

So why didn’t he say that?  That’s the point. 

You must have selective amnesia because he's said that literally dozens of times between previous testimony to Congress and media interviews. 

The more people in this thread hang on to this false talking point about Fauci versus Gym Jordan, the more I suspect them to be anti-science and Trump stans. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Once again, what is the point of defining the "finish line" when nothing will happen if/when we reach it?

The Federal government is doing little more than requiring masks at airports and on airplanes, as well as proof of a negative Covid test or proof of prior infections for those flying in from other countries.  It's not clear to me if the Federal eviction moratorium expired at the end of March, as planned; perhaps it was extended.

Other than that, what rights are being abridged by the Federal government, and by proxy, Anthony Fauci?  Among other things, Gym Jordan is railing against closures of public facilities and private businesses, neither of which reach any higher than state governments.  Target your ire at them, Gym.

This is a bullshit argument against Fauci.  He has no power to set policy and is not responsible for any abridgment of personal liberty.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

You must have selective amnesia because he's said that literally dozens of times between previous testimony to Congress and media interviews. 

The more people in this thread hang on to this false talking point about Fauci versus Gym Jordan, the more I suspect them to be anti-science and Trump stans. 

No, gym asked him for an answer, if that’s the pat answer then Fauci should repeat that answer he gave, you said, dozens of times, not refuse to say anything except we aren’t there yet. 

and Hagbard, we disagree. If the target is clear and understandable you won’t have people quit working towards the target til we get here. Not providing a target is what is going to discourage people from doing their part. 

if he would’ve said, “we aren’t there yet, but once we get to 70% vaccinated we think we will be” he would’ve said everything he needed to say without giving gym his gotcha moment. 

Just now, NameAlreadyInUse said:

No, gym asked him for an answer, if that’s the pat answer then Fauci should repeat that answer he gave, you said, dozens of times, not refuse to say anything except we aren’t there yet. 

and Hagbard, we disagree. If the target is clear and understandable you won’t have people quit working towards the target til we get here. Not providing a target is what is going to discourage people from doing their part. 

if he would’ve said, “we aren’t there yet, but once we get to 70% vaccinated we think we will be” he would’ve said everything he needed to say without giving gym his gotcha moment. 

Go back and watch the video again. Gym was pushing him for a specific date and Fauci clearly conveyed that he had given an answer to Gym's question. So you're wrong on that.

There is a clear and understandable target - it's called a vaccination threshold - which has been explained ad nauseam. If you give a calendar date, not only are you held to it, but when the goal is not achieved you lose credibility and give free ammunition to the right who has politicized this pandemic. So you're wrong on that too.

It did not matter what Fauci would have said to Gym, because Gym was grandstanding and would have either continued to ask for more obscure specifics (which could not be guaranteed) or attempt to poke holes in Fauci's testimony. So you're also wrong, again.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Once again, what is the point of defining the "finish line" when nothing will happen if/when we reach it?

The main purpose of the CDC is to provide guidance to Americans on health risks. That they don’t dictate policy or that governments might ignore their advice is not an excuse for failing to do their job. 

And the point of the finish line is to say “Here is our goal. If we reach it, the scientific community believes normal life will be sufficiently safe again. Now go do what you can do to help meet that goal.” 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The main purpose of the CDC is to provide guidance to Americans on health risks. That they don’t dictate policy or that governments might ignore their advice is not an excuse for failing to do their job. 

And the point of the finish line is to say “Here is our goal. If we reach it, the scientific community believes normal life will be sufficiently safe again. Now go do what you can do to help meet that goal.” 

Fauci has literally done exactly that, dozens of times.  Jordan and the boys just don't like the answer and they want a scapegoat.

It's as if you haven't been watching.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Fauci has literally done exactly that, dozens of times.  Jordan and the boys just don't like the answer and they want a scapegoat.

Don't forget the girls. Kristi Noem, MTG, Lauren Boebert, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

welp, we will find out.  i know too many people who are stalling on a jab because 1) they're healthy so they're not going to get it & 2) a year in and they still give a blank stare when you splain asymptomatic transmission for the umpteenth time.

maybe mRNA technology is unbreakable.  maybe it's not.  we're rolling the dice that it is.

I will say this:  I don't like that Fauci has moved the goalposts for the requisite level to achieve herd immunity, and not just because of changing science.  He admits to being intentionally optimistic early on.  I think that kind of gamesmanship is not consistent with a scientific approach; indeed, it's a very political calculus at play.  I'd rather he leave that to the politicians.

It just seems to me that making pronouncements in this environment is a lose-lose proposition. If the pronouncement varies in any slight respect from what subsequently occurs, Fauci gets crucified by the political and loses credibility among the stupid and credulous.

And the intelligent people  understand that any such pronouncements are inherently uncertain and imprecise and thus get no real reassurance.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Thats a problem considering the vaccine is only approved for 75% of the population.

no, it's a feature, not a bug.  the hate engine would have to increase the logic and data in the the ATTACK play, in order to point out the 20%-25% vaccines are not approved for is children under age 16..

LIBERTIES UNDER ATTACK and SAVE THE CHILDREN can't be boxed together.  run with the 70% number.  and when the vaccines get approved for u-16, move the goalposts.

stop running the greg davis 3rd & 2.

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I will say this:  I don't like that Fauci has moved the goalposts for the requisite level to achieve herd immunity, and not just because of changing science.  He admits to being intentionally optimistic early on.  I think that kind of gamesmanship is not consistent with a scientific approach; indeed, it's a very political calculus at play.  I'd rather he leave that to the politicians.

i have no problem moving the goalposts.  he was competing against trumpistan.

we need to do more goalpost moving.  gloves off.  use their playbook against them while you have the advantage because the moment they have taken back the advantage they are going to mercilessly crucify the communist atheist marxist secret muslim libs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I checked the government website and the transcript of the hearing was not yet available and given that it is now Saturday, I'm guessing Monday is going to be the soonest. I believe sandwiched in a long winded explanation of attempts to reach underserved populations, Walensky attempted to also reinforce Fauci. She spoke after Fauci but due to Fauci being the 'face' so to speak for Jordan & Co. and her being female, most of the blathering grandstanding was already over.

If the transcript becomes available, I'll clip the appropriate text. I prefer it to video, myself.

16 hours ago, Nivek said:

So the left should remove another qualified person because he cannot turn water into wine and doesn’t pass the purity test, and because he cannot predict the future and has made minor mistakes in messaging.

R’s only tolerate that type of incompetence from the GOP.

What the fuck are you on about? No one is asking him for a miracle. Give a fucking benchmark and timeline for ending masking recommendations. Tell people to get vaxed or get fucked (in a diplomatic way).

Or get the fuck out and let someone who can do those things be in charge of messaging. Quit defending someone just because Trump hated them

• Hook 'Em 1

No, but to Brick’s earlier point, by this point don’t we know enough about this disease to at least have some ideas as to a finish line?  I don’t think I should still be wondering about that now that the adults are in charge again.
I agree Fauci shouldn’t make something up on the spot, but I do not understand how we have the big brains thinking about this nonstop and there isn’t already a pat answer to such a question. Why is that?
also, fuck gym jordan. 

ps - I love Roger Staubach. He’s still over counting by at least 1. 
Because science doesn't give pat answers. Scientists are trained to communicate with a lot of caveats, a lot of conditions, of lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what have yous. Further, what are acceptable infection and death rates are political questions, not scientific questions, so the scientists shouldn't be answering them anyway.
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

What the fuck are you on about? No one is asking him for a miracle. Give a fucking benchmark and timeline for ending masking recommendations. Tell people to get vaxed or get fucked (in a diplomatic way).

Or get the fuck out and let someone who can do those things be in charge of messaging. Quit defending someone just because Trump hated them

Seems like you have a vendetta against Fauci because you want him to retire.

He already gave a benchmark (the timeline is associated with accomplishing the benchmark).

He's told people to get vaxxed.

It's not in his nature to tell people to get fucked. Sadly, nobody testifies on Capitol Hill and tells anyone to get fucked.

If you truly worked at Parkland treating scores of HIV patients in the 90s, I think you would understand this a lot better. 

I don't think the defense of Fauci is simply because Trump hates him. It goes further than that because hundreds of thousands of Americans have been seriously disabled or killed because of poor response largely dictated by the various levels of government which chose to completely ignore science (and yes, this started under Trump and Biden has to clean the mess up). I'll have you recall that this morbidity and mortality was largely preventable (hi Dr. Birx!) had there been utilization of the "pandemic playbook."

Of course Republicans and conservatives alike don't give a shit about anything else beyond their own pocketbook, so Fauci has become the boogeyman. They truly don't give a shit about the American people (and based on his body of work, Fauci actually does). Identifying boogeymen is part of the Republican strategery and they've twisted his message into some false attack on Constitutional rights. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Seems like you have a vendetta against Fauci because you want him to retire.

He already gave a benchmark (the timeline is associated with accomplishing the benchmark).

He's told people to get vaxxed.

It's not in his nature to tell people to get fucked. Sadly, nobody testifies on Capitol Hill and tells anyone to get fucked.

If you truly worked at Parkland treating scores of HIV patients in the 90s, I think you would understand this a lot better. 

I don't think the defense of Fauci is simply because Trump hates him. It goes further than that because hundreds of thousands of Americans have been seriously disabled or killed because of poor response largely dictated by the various levels of government which chose to completely ignore science (and yes, this started under Trump and Biden has to clean the mess up). I'll have you recall that this morbidity and mortality was largely preventable (hi Dr. Birx!) had there been utilization of the "pandemic playbook."

Of course Republicans and conservatives alike don't give a shit about anything else beyond their own pocketbook, so Fauci has become the boogeyman. They truly don't give a shit about the American people (and based on his body of work, Fauci actually does). Identifying boogeymen is part of the Republican strategery and they've twisted his message into some false attack on Constitutional rights. 

I have no vendetta against Fauci. I was most certainly at parkland in the 90’s. And I said tell them to get fucked in a diplomatic way. That is easily done. I’m not sure what the point of the rest of your screed is. No shit most of this was preventable. I was on the Covid threads from way back saying exactly that. What has happened in the past year has no bearing on making bad decisions and poor messaging going forward 

I am neither a republican nor a conservative. I’m also not a fucking moron and I don’t blindly follow people in authority who are clearly fucking up a message. I encourage you to do the same

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep... IF you are defending Jim Jordan on this I have a simple answer for you.  The reason we are still not at the finish line, and the reason we have so many extra needlessly die, is EXACTLY because of the stupidity of leaders like Jim Jordan.  

Jordan is hilarious only in that he is a complete dumb ass, and so many other complete dumb asses buy into his rolled up sleeve bullshit.  

IF only the GOP didn't decide to adopt a political strategy regarding masks that actually got people killed.  The same folks fucking bitching today, would have been bitching last Easter, last Memorial day, last Labor day, last Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  The bottom line is Trumpsters have just been stupid as shit on this virus, and expecting Trumpster Jim Jordan to be anything but stupid, is incredibly stupid.

As Dr. Fauchi knows it's really, really, really hard to explain science to those that don't know or believe in science.

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

explaining the US and Covid-19, and where we are at currently, using football. an attempt at poetry.

It's 3rd and 12.

First drive of the game.

1st down was a simple slant route. Half the offensive line refused to acknowledge there was even a game that had started. They stayed in the locker room (irony!). The receiver yelled oppression at being asked to wear a helmet. He pointed to the kickoff returner, who's head was bashed in on the return, and yells no fair, he didn't have to wear a helmet! BuT mY rRigHtS!!!! The QB was sacked for a massive loss of 7. It is announced that the kickoff returner has died. Along with his grandma. 

2nd down was a HB dive. We picked up a few yards right up the middle. It was boring. It took forever. Nobody was talking to each other in person. But it was productive. We might have something here. Wait what's that..... The umpire is getting heckled by the offensive line via twitter for spotting the ball correctly. They saw on facebook that we already got a first down. Actually we never didn't have a first down. 2nd and 3rd down are myths. Fake news. The fattest, fake blondest, cheeto-y-ist lineman looks straight into the sun..... smugly.

He has won.

He sends a victory tweet. The children are saved.

The down marker changes to 3rd.

It's 3rd and 12.

The LB coach is screaming at the offensive coordinator to tell him why he isn't allowed to go to church [He is allowed to go to church]. The OC has a new play and if everybody does their part we will gain a first down. The LB coach wants to know exactly how many people need to do their part, because he doesn't believe in the play and doesn't want to participate, and wants to tell like minded folk the same. But he still really wants a first down. Just not like that. So he can go to church again. But he saw a video on facebook that said the new play was made by bill gates and that's communism. 

It's 3rd and 12.

Delay of Game.

It's 3rd and 17-(Q)

We are fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 2

the airlines are private businesses.  it is their right to enforce 100% vaccination to patronize their businesses.

sporting events require a ticket to enter paid with money.  they are private businesses, even if they may be subsidized by national, state or local government.

it is their right to enforce 100% vaccination to patronize their businesses.

ditto movie theaters and restaurants.

27 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m also not a fucking moron and I don’t blindly follow people in authority who are clearly fucking up a message. I encourage you to do the same

So what part of Dr. Fauci's message should I not follow?

And better yet, since this is actually the 'Jim Jordan' thread...what part of his message should I be following?

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

So what part of Dr. Fauci's message should I not follow?

And better yet, since this is actually the 'Jim Jordan' thread...what part of his message should I be following?

Fuck Jim Jordan. 

WRT Fauci you shouldn’t be expecting to keep masking in public until 2022 if you are vaccinated. 

24 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

explaining the US and Covid-19, and where we are at currently, using football. an attempt at poetry.

It's 3rd and 12.

First drive of the game.

1st down was a simple slant route. Half the offensive line refused to acknowledge there was even a game that had started. They stayed in the locker room (irony!). The receiver yelled oppression at being asked to wear a helmet. He pointed to the kickoff returner, who's head was bashed in on the return, and yells no fair, he didn't have to wear a helmet! BuT mY rRigHtS!!!! The QB was sacked for a massive loss of 7. It is announced that the kickoff returner has died. Along with his grandma. 

2nd down was a HB dive. We picked up a few yards right up the middle. It was boring. It took forever. Nobody was talking to each other in person. But it was productive. We might have something here. Wait what's that..... The umpire is getting heckled by the offensive line via twitter for spotting the ball correctly. They saw on facebook that we already got a first down. Actually we never didn't have a first down. 2nd and 3rd down are myths. Fake news. The fattest, fake blondest, cheeto-y-ist lineman looks straight into the sun..... smugly.

He has won.

He sends a victory tweet. The children are saved.

The down marker changes to 3rd.

It's 3rd and 12.

The LB coach is screaming at the offensive coordinator to tell him why he isn't allowed to go to church [He is allowed to go to church]. The OC has a new play and if everybody does their part we will gain a first down. The LB coach wants to know exactly how many people need to do their part, because he doesn't believe in the play and doesn't want to participate, and wants to tell like minded folk the same. But he still really wants a first down. Just not like that. So he can go to church again. But he saw a video on facebook that said the new play was made by bill gates and that's communism. 

It's 3rd and 12.

Delay of Game.

It's 3rd and 17-(Q)

We are fucked. 

Hey, can you run the second down again? I was at concessions buying a $40 beer and missed that.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Fuck Jim Jordan. 

WRT Fauci you shouldn’t be expecting to keep masking in public until 2022 if you are vaccinated. 

I'll be continuing to mask in public: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

But you're welcome to do you and please don't mind if I especially steer clear of people who aren't wearing masks in public regardless of their vaccination status. This is one of the many reasons why: https://time.com/5955500/covid-19-vaccine-booster-shot/

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, UDontKnow said:

I'll be continuing to mask in public: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

But you're welcome to do you and please don't mind if I especially steer clear of people who aren't wearing masks in public regardless of their vaccination status. This is one of the many reasons why: https://time.com/5955500/covid-19-vaccine-booster-shot/

A lot of “mays” and “mights” in that article. 

You are welcome to mask for the rest of your life.  As far as RNA viruses and mutations go, the family of coronaviruses is fairly stable. I have seen no data to suggest Covid-19 will be any different. Immunity to the spike protein, which is essential for the virus to enter cells, should be long lasting, because if the spike changes enough to evade antibodies and Tcells then it should be much less effective at attaching and entering host cells. That’s a very good thing. Reinfection / second infection rate, now with greater than 12 months of data, is extremely low, meaning people who have recovered from covid infection have a great deal of immunity. Given the CDC estimates at least 85M cases as of January 19, we are moving closer to herd immunity with every shot going in an arm. That’s a good thing. I don’t hear Fauci talking about any of that. But maybe the right wing media I consume as my primary source for news (npr) are hiding his messaging on this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

Reinfection / second infection rate, now with greater than 12 months of data, is extremely low, meaning people who have recovered from covid infection have a great deal of immunity.

If this proves true in a broad sense for the vaccine, it's terrific news, because it could mean that boosters are annual or even biennual.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If this proves true in a broad sense for the vaccine, it's terrific news, because it could mean that boosters are annual or even biennual.

Let's hope that becomes the case. However, there is current cause for concern. Take the "double mutation" variant in India (L452R and E484Q) that has also been reported in at least 16 other nations for example. Immune escape, the phenomenon that sawbonz alluded to, is the Indian Health Ministry's current concern (https://pib.gov.in/PressReleaseIframePage.aspx?PRID=1707177). If the spike protein mutations are unable to escape host immune responses, the world will be good. Otherwise, the same type of preventive public health measures will continue to be suggested by officials for a lot longer.