wc QF 1 (friday 9am) :: no cavanni, no contest

Hagbard Celine

12 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Wow, weak goalkeeping.

12 minutes ago, Spartan52 said:

Bad mistake by URU Goalie
2-0 France, now just avoid injuries and cards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Uruguayan keeper is who we thought he was.

He's been their #1 since at least 2010 (I believe), but he has never made it above playing in Turkey.

He is their best keeper, but the country of 3.5 million short guys who work on farms, go to the beach, and drink mate all day are not known for producing keepers, so he is who they have to go with.

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

anyone watching telemundo, i can assume there is no indignation about the ref losing the plot....

ref isnt American thus he obviously knows how to be a ref and thus, no complaints allowed.

Americans lose the plot the moment they walk on the pitch.... argentinians, OTOH, speak spanish, and thus, are the best ref

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The Uruguayan keeper is who we thought he was.

He's been their #1 since at least 2010 (I believe), but he has never made it above playing in Turkey.

He is their best keeper, but the country of 3.5 million short guys who work on farms, go to the beach, and drink mate all day are not known for producing keepers, so he is who they have to go with.

Hmm, maybe mate causes shitty goalkeeping

Caballero_1.png?orS.0CVKruG5YiHERt5AfnV8

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Spartan52 said:

The Ref has been in the way a couple of times and actually slowed down the French attack I reckon, anyone else agree?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The ref is from Argentina.

That is like having a ref from Buffalo, NY handling a match between Canada and Uzbekistan. (Or a ref from Morristown, New Jersey officiating a match between a team from Long Island and a team from Texas.)

He has been a good ref in this Cup, but Uruguay originally was part of what is now Argentina and now is a summer vacation spot for wealthy Argentines, especially from the metropolitan area of Buenos Aires. FIFA chose him for one of two reasons:

1) He would be able to officiate the histrionics of the gauchos from Uruguay... or...

2) They know that he'll look out for the Uruguayans. (Which seems odd unless someone from FIFA is betting a lot of money on this match.)