wc QF 2 (friday 1pm) :: the klash in kazan

Hagbard Celine

21 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I thought this was the best referee of any match I've seen so far.  Granted I haven't seen all that many matches, but this dude let them play and didn't fall for too many of the flops.  I hope he gets to referee again.

There weren't nearly as many flops, nor instances of crying & rolling in this match as there were in other matches. I think that that could have been due to a clear message from FIFA in advance that the ref would be more likely to show yellow cards for acting.

I do think that the ref should have given two different yellow cards to Brazilian players even though he allowed Belgium to continue on their fast breaks. Lukaku (on KDB's goal) and later Hazard were tripped from behind after passing to teammates so that they couldn't continue to follow the play and perhaps be on the receiving end of a cross in the box.

Playing the advantage was the right call, but the next stoppage of play you have to go back and give the offending player a yellow. He didn't the first time, so Brazil did it again. Then he didn't the second time and Brazil would have definitely done it a third time if the opportunity had presented itself.

But I think that the ref did ignore the dives, didn't get sucked into weak calls, but somehow managed to officiate a match that didn't get out of hand/overly aggressive.

I think that one of Belgium's defenders... Thomas Meunier (?) will have to miss the next match due to yellow card accumulation, but the cards are wiped off after this match, so no one else will have to worry about a yellow card in the semis.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I thought this was the best referee of any match I've seen so far.  Granted I haven't seen all that many matches, but this dude let them play and didn't fall for too many of the flops.  I hope he gets to referee again.

it helps tremendously when the latin side in the contest features a 90% reduction in dissent and bitchassedness in comparison to, say, Colombia's behaviour the other night.

22 minutes ago, thestud said:

As a self admitted Tim Howard fanboy, he has never had a match like Courtois just played. That was fucking clutch city.

howard's 14-save performance against Belgium was a function of the gulf in class between our outfield players and a world-top-5 side in a full international.  some quality, mostly volume.

keller against Brazil in '98?  that was volume and quality.

courtois today was all quality.  in other words, yes, clutch.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it helps tremendously when the latin side in the contest features a 90% reduction in dissent and bitchassedness in comparison to, say, Colombia's behaviour the other night.

Colombia’s style of play, in particular their lack of dirty play, in OT was so polar opposite of the way that they had played in regulation that you could have thought that they were two entirely different teams with completely different coaching staffs. 

I think that Colombia went into the match with England thinking that they couldn’t win a clean match without James. Then they realized that they could and played so as not to get any more yellow cards in case they advanced. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Colombia’s style of play, in particular their lack of dirty play, in OT was so polar opposite of the way that they had played in regulation that you could have thought that they were two entirely different teams with completely different coaching staffs. 

I think that Colombia went into the match with England thinking that they couldn’t win a clean match without James. Then they realized that they could and played so as not to get any more yellow cards in case they advanced. 

That makes a lot of sense.  I just figured that when they tied it up they figured any more stupid shit would hurt their chances.  But you're right, they started to clean up before they tied it up.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, Kompany kicked Jesus's right shin when the ball was well in bounds, but at the same time it was never going to have an impact on the outcome because the ball was headed straight out no matter what at that point. I could see it going either way.

I completely agree with this, but is that written in the rules?  Honest question, because I know fuck all about the footballs.  The BBC announcers and sideline reporter and studio guys all said it should have been a penalty and I assume they at least half way know the rules.

I was born in Belgium but raised in the US, so the USMNT is my team. Still with the US shitting the bed in qualifying, I jumped on the Belgian squad for the world cup and have been talking a lot of smack leading up to today. About 50% of the people in my company are Brazilian..... it was a good day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

So is the France Belgium semifinal the same as the Warriors-Rockets Conference finals, 90s Cowboys-49ers NFC championships, etc?

I dont see much coming out from the other side of the bracket to challenge either of these 2 teams.

This isn't the same as the NBA or NFL. Also don't sleep on Croatia if they make it through. Every single team not named Russia can win this whole thing. Agreed that France and Belgium are the favorites but I wouldn't consider the semi anywhere on that same level. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I actually hope that penalty didn’t get called because Neymar is a bitch. Fuck that overrated piece of garbage

Neymar is such a bitch that he completely abandoned an attempt on a header into an open net because someone tapped him on his shoulder. 

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

This isn't the same as the NBA or NFL. Also don't sleep on Croatia if they make it through. Every single team not named Russia can win this whole thing. Agreed that France and Belgium are the favorites but I wouldn't consider the semi anywhere on that same level. 

You say that but Russia will win this whole thing. Belgium and France have to eat breakfast in Russia every day, comrade.