yall listening to some of this world music?

52-80

im getting sucked into the youtube rabbit whole of mostly african tribal stuff, but also funk and soul

only going to link 1 piece at a time.  this is from a pygmy tribe.  but tons of great stuff on KEXP.  and of course khruangbin from Houston

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

World Music is a dated term for music made outside the United States. Its a category for music that is basically ridiculous.

If there is catch-all term for Western-origin (primarily US- and UK-), electronic/amplified-produced music....  and it's not a perjorative, then "world music" is just a valid descriptor as is "pop".

Its an incredibly ethnocentric way of viewing the music of the world. The whole idea of a World Music genre, category, to lump every non-Western music style together is a relic from the past. You would get run out of the Musicologist convention for even discussing World Music as anything but a outdated lens to see non-Western music.

2 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

Its an incredibly ethnocentric way of viewing the music of the world. The whole idea of a World Music genre, category, to lump every non-Western music style together is a relic from the past. You would get run out of the Musicologist convention for even discussing World Music as anything but a outdated lens to see non-Western music.

If this musicologist convention is full of pedants rather than pragmatists, i wouldnt want to be there.

Fact is the Western pop music of Maroon 5 Taylor Swift Beyonce Avicii dominates the airwaves and every dance club in every corner of the world from Mexico to Malaysia to Mozambique.  So it's a simple matter of convenience rather than offense to call Calvin Harris "pop" rather than EDM or progressiveelektrodancehouse.  

For me world music connotes folksy traditional instruments and with relatively limited geographic distribution and popularity.   Im not apologizing for not naming every possible sub-genre in speech --- hey guys, what are your favorite West African Hybrid-Apala albums.   Anyone taking offense to that can fuck squarely off.

anyway, heres Ali Farka Toure playing with Ry Cooder

• 1 month later...

I attended my first South by Southwest in the early 90's and they had the world music stage set up behind Scholz Garten.  A buddy and I sat there on a picnic table and smoked a fat ass joint.  We weren't too worried because ours was one of many, many fat ass joints in the house.  I decided then that world music wasn't too damn bad