Penelope Witherspoon's Travel Thread

On 9/20/2019 at 5:25 PM, orange dream said:

Very cool.  I can't remember if you've said but do you do this travel for work and just add on some long weekends or is all of this pleasure travel?  Do you have these meals by yourself or with someone usually?

Always jealous when I see this thread updated.

Keep it up!!

I traveled for work for a while, but then, since 2016, I have been doing this for pleasure.  However, I recently changed jobs, which will take me to Copenhagen 4-6 times a year.  So, it will be a good mix of weekends before or after work trips and trips for pleasure.

On 9/23/2019 at 11:37 AM, CooterBrown said:

This. It's also usually cheaper.  In Austin, I have a dog/house sitter for $35/night. She a former vet tech and is there from 7pm to 7am each day. 

It is actually cheaper to board them based on the research I have done.  If I found a dog/house sitter, which they charge about 75 a night for, I would still need a dog walker in the day.  With taxes, boarding actually comes out slightly cheaper.  Still a beating.

Struggling with my Memorial Day plans for 2020.  Originally, was all in on Madrid, but now looking at potentially doing any of these:

Madrid

Cadiz

Lyon

Antwerp

I have also thought about making a return trip (I am only going for 5 nights) to either:

Arles (spent 3 nights here in 2018)

Rome (Spent 2 nights here in 2018, which was not enough)

Naples (Have only spent 1 day here)

Porto (Spent 3 nights here in 2019) 

Anyone have one that you would definitely drop?

And have decided to do something in June instead.  Looking at hitting up two Greek Islands, Spetses and Hydra.  There are a couple of events in Late June on both of those Islands, and it would be amazing to be able to be there during them.  Of course, this is all preliminary, but that is what I am thinking at this point.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:52 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It is actually cheaper to board them based on the research I have done.  If I found a dog/house sitter, which they charge about 75 a night for, I would still need a dog walker in the day.  With taxes, boarding actually comes out slightly cheaper.  Still a beating.

As much as you travel I'd say you need to find a neighborhood kid instead of leaving your dog in a kennel (in a cage for much of the day more than likely).  

They don't have to stay over night.  We pay a neighbor kid to walk our dog 5-6 x a day, feed him 2x a day for about $30 a day. that works out to about $15 an hour.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

As much as you travel I'd say you need to find a neighborhood kid instead of leaving your dog in a kennel (in a cage for much of the day more than likely).  
They don't have to stay over night.  We pay a neighbor kid to walk our dog 5-6 x a day, feed him 2x a day for about $30 a day. that works out to about $15 an hour.
The difference is I'm in NYC. And as big as my dogs are, I dont trust some random person. And where they are boarded, they are not in a cage. Rather, it is doggy day care 24/7 on the UES. They love it.

While I'm home, they are in big kennels in my apartment. I take them for an hour walk firat thing in the AM. I have someone come in and take them out around 3 or so for 30 minutes, then I take them put for a good long walk around 8:30 or so. They are still adjusting to hearing people in the halls, and they feel safe in the kennels in the house. They seem to be incredibly happy, even more so that in Houston with a yard, because they get to see more people and dogs and be more social.

On 9/29/2019 at 3:52 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Even the most, anti "cage" anti "crate", professionals have stated that a more than ample living space for a large dog is up to 35 sq ft.   Furthermore if left alone in a large apartment it may not be as "free" to the dog as human owners think it is.  So they recommend that even in an apt that they are limited or confined to a certain space as it becomes a safe place for them.    

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Even the most, anti "cage" anti "crate", professionals have stated that a more than ample living space for a large dog is up to 35 sq ft.   Furthermore if left alone in a large apartment it may not be as "free" to the dog as human owners think it is.  So they recommend that even in an apt that they are limited or confined to a certain space as it becomes a safe place for them.    

Yep we have our dog crate he's used since a puppy. It's always been his space .

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so fly out to London a week from Wednesday, arriving Thursday.  We train to Paris that evening, and spend two days in Paris.  Come back to London for the Texans game, then Monday evening, fly to Copenhagen for three days of work before coming back to NY on Friday, November 8th.  Didn't book Copenhagen until today, so going to figure out what is going on tonight.  Then I will fly to Athens on the 26th of November, and then another week in Copenhagen.  That should wrap up the year.  

2019, we are doing Easter in Seville.  Then I am going to try and do Hydra and Spetses in late June.  Nothing planned after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back to London (Richmond actually, but close enough) from Paris last night.  Meeting up with all my mates for the Texans game today, then tomorrow evening, off to Copenhagen for work.

Paris was, as usual, amazing.  This time, hardly had any plans.  Just tooled around the city.  Had a lot of amazing food, and even more amazing drinks.  We are going to plan a similar girls weekend in Paris sometime next year.  It was so great to actually go over with few plans and only have one must do thing.  I will say I spent a ton of money shopping, but hey, it is Paris, and what I bought is so much cheaper there than in NYC.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I will say I spent a ton of money shopping, but hey, it is Paris, and what I bought is so much cheaper there than in NYC.

Well, what did you get?  I mean, are we talking Birkin from Hermès levels here?

Edited by Landomatic
I say that with an unblemished record of staunch heterosexuality

On 11/3/2019 at 12:43 PM, Landomatic said:

Well, what did you get?  I mean, are we talking Birkin from Hermès levels here?

While I am an aficionado of Hermes scarves (which are roughly the same cost in NYC as Paris), my love of Hermes has not extended to their handbags.  Also, I am not THAT important of a customer to get the call should one become available (and honestly, it gives me quite a bit of heartburn to talk about spending 10-20k on a single handbag, even if it is made by hand and will ultimately be worth more than what I paid).

I am a longtime Goyard customer, and I went in and bought two of their new handbag styles as well as a business card holder.  Ultimately, had I made the purchases in NYC (or anywhere else in the USA), it would have cost me approximately $3K more than it did in Paris.  So while it was expensive, it was a hell of a lot less expensive than NYC, and I got to have a lot of fun in Paris with one of my closest friends for 2+ days.  Also, every time I look at one of those bags, it will invoke some amazing memory of the trip.  Already ready to go back to Paris for another girl/shopping trip, though it will probably not be until 2021 given all the plans for next year.  Heck, I was not supposed to go this year, but the timing just worked out where we were able to pop over.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 12:40 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

While I am an aficionado of Hermes scarves (which are roughly the same cost in NYC as Paris), my love of Hermes has not extended to their handbags.  Also, I am not THAT important of a customer to get the call should one become available (and honestly, it gives me quite a bit of heartburn to talk about spending 10-20k on a single handbag, even if it is made by hand and will ultimately be worth more than what I paid).

I am a longtime Goyard customer, and I went in and bought two of their new handbag styles as well as a business card holder.  Ultimately, had I made the purchases in NYC (or anywhere else in the USA), it would have cost me approximately $3K more than it did in Paris.  So while it was expensive, it was a hell of a lot less expensive than NYC, and I got to have a lot of fun in Paris with one of my closest friends for 2+ days.  Also, every time I look at one of those bags, it will invoke some amazing memory of the trip.  Already ready to go back to Paris for another girl/shopping trip, though it will probably not be until 2021 given all the plans for next year.  Heck, I was not supposed to go this year, but the timing just worked out where we were able to pop over.  

You know the rules, Pics........ or it didn't happen !!

• 3 weeks later...

So, I got another post up. This one much more timely. Also, working another 2 or 3 I plan to finish soon.

https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/2019/11/24/Mlle-She-Travels-Restaurant-Review-Lunch-at-Le-D%C3%B4me-Caf%C3%A9

I'm in Athens now. Last work trip for the year. Whatever you do, skip Iberia airlines. Ughhh.

• Like 1

So, I got another post up. This one much more timely. Also, working another 2 or 3 I plan to finish soon.

https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/2019/11/24/Mlle-She-Travels-Restaurant-Review-Lunch-at-Le-D%C3%B4me-Caf%C3%A9

I'm in Athens now. Last work trip for the year. Whatever you do, skip Iberia airlines. Ughhh.

Page not found

Page not found

Humm, works on my mobile when I click the link. Reposting.

I cleared browsing data and retried on my phone, and it was fine. Let me know if still not working for you.

Ok, so I am not liking that I do not have the dates for Spetses and Hydra yet (due to my dogs and work schedules, I generally need to plan pretty far in advance).  So, looks like I need some help brainstorming.  

So, doing Seville for Easter.  Now looking for help thinking through a trip in Late June/early July (was thinking Greek Island or some other Med Island), then September/October, and November/December.

One of either September/October or November/December should be England to see all my friends and their monsters and go to a christening which has been delayed.  And I am indifferent to weather.  Actually, November/December might be better for that.  

If Spetses and Hydra are off the table in June, still thinking about Greek Islands.  I prefer to stay away from Mykonos or Santorini, and go somewhere where I am happy to stay the week.  

For September/October, originally was thinking about Bali, but not sure I want to have to buy that expensive business class flight (I would go nuts in coach in a flight that long from NYC), so perhaps another European jaunt would be good since that is a shorter flight from NYC.  What about Egypt?  It has long been on my must do list.  Has anyone been recently?  How difficult is it for a single woman?  I want to go to Morrocco badly, but I know it is not a great place for a single female traveler, and those tours are awful, so until I can get a group of friends to go, that will have to stay on the to do list.

• 1 month later...

I have not forgotten the website, but work has been nuts throughout December/January.  I have 3 or 4 different writeups in various stages.  Hope to finish them up this week and post one a week in February.

I am back in Copenhagen in February for work.  Flying out the 9th, coming back the 16th.  Might have to head to Panama the next week (stiill figuring that out), and then Houston (friend married on the 22nd of Feb).  March, I will probably have to go back to Copenhagen for a week.  April is Spain for two weeks, then Houston for another wedding (FYI, only one of the three weddings I am going to is a second wedding.  You would think at my age, that would be different).  May will see Paris for 4 nights, then Copenhagen (again) and then Austin for memorial day for my last wedding.  

June and July, I plan on being in New York.  I know, I know, but I actually do not mind being in the city.  My broker does have a house in the Hamptons though, so I am going to try and get out there with the dogs at least once.  Maybe also head up the Hudson Valley or into the Finger Lakes.

August will see me back in Copenhagen.  I may just spend the weekend before and the weekend after exploring Copenhagen and Malmo and the areas around.

September, I should be in NYC.  October and November, I am still playing with, but I will definitely have time in Italy, Copenhagen, and most likely England during those two months.  Just do not have solid plans.  

December, I am hoping to be in NYC almost exclusively.

There will of course be other trips to Houston, Philly, and perhaps Boston and other areas here in the northeast.  Fun Fun Fun. 

Anyone want to dog sit?

• 3 months later...

So obviously, I have not been updating.  Covid-19 out front and all that.  

But, I did do a quick update.  As I mentioned in the Coronavirus thread, tomorrow, I was supposed to leave for Paris.  This would have been the 6th year in a row that I would have been in Paris, and I was really looking forward to it as they were scheduled to open the Palais Galliera this spring.

Rather, for each of the days I was supposed to be in Paris (starting Thursday, since that was the day I was actually arriving), I will be doing a post to look back at my various trips.  

I might even finish up all the bar and restaurant write ups I have had in progress for Paris.  Then, I think I am going to start a list of dream trips and tips for other cities.  

Thought I would update.  

• 5 months later...

I'm pretty much resigned to no traveling until the latter half of 2021, and perhaps not even then except for work related trips to Copenhagen.

I am talking with some folks about perhaps going to Egypt in the latter half of 2021, COVID permitting, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Maybe by my birthday in January 2022 I can go somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I'm pretty much resigned to no traveling until the latter half of 2021, and perhaps not even then except for work related trips to Copenhagen. emoji31.pngemoji2959.png

I am talking with some folks about perhaps going to Egypt in the latter half of 2021, COVID permitting, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Maybe by my birthday in January 2022 I can go somewhere.

My bride and I are retiring at the end of the year and had our sights set on spending the kid's inheritance traveling.  I have shown her some of your wonderful pictures and recommendations which she is fully on board with but as you say, our international travel will have to wait until 2022.  If the market does well in 2021, we are going to do some seriously needed trips across the pond.

• Like 1