Penelope Witherspoon's Travel Thread

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:
3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Caviar and the best potatoes I've ever had.  Probably more butter than potato.  Also, Krug paired with.

20220519_133339.jpg

probably duck or goose fat instead of butter

Either way, was fucking fantastic.  That was a 4.5 hour lunch.  Headed back to Paris for a nap.

Was picturing you at Montmarte with Charles Aznavour singing La Boheme in the background; looks like the weather was pretty.

If you're bringing items for people back, just grab any one of those l'autos above to toss in your carryon and I'll be good. Those are some sweet sweet machines.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Was picturing you at Montmarte with Charles Aznavour singing La Boheme in the background; looks like the weather was pretty.

If you're bringing items for people back, just grab any one of those l'autos above to toss in your carryon and I'll be good. Those are some sweet sweet machines.

The weather was pretty if a bit hot (much hotter than NYC).  

Today, it is raining so I am using my breakfast time to catch up on a bit of work before heading to Le Petit Palais (given the rain, I will be taking a cab!).  

My sleep last night was shit.  I came back to Paris right after that marathon lunch, and crashed, taking a 2 hour nap.  Then I could not get back to sleep until really late (2 AM or so).  

On tap today, starting at Le Petit Palais for the Boldini exhibit.  Then to Le Grand (Jean-Francois Piege's flagship) for lunch.  Then will stay in the 8th and 1st, wandering around until I have my Goyard shopping appointment at 3:30.  Then will head back to the hotel to drop things off, change, and head back out.  Want to stop at Danico for a pre-dinner drink (since I did not make it back Thursday night as I had intended), then it is dinner at Granite at 8.  I hope I am hungry by then.  I think the weather might be a bit chilly tonight (which I am all for!), so if it is, might do a little wandering to catch some cool sites at night.  

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The weather was pretty if a bit hot (much hotter than NYC). 

The projected high today in Texas is around 97 degrees, so hot is relative! But, hope you recover from the late night tossing and turning and have a good day and Goyard does right by you. Can't wait for the pics and update. Living vicariously through your travels.

I spent a lot of today working but I also spent time writing up Day 1 and my first dinner in Paris.  I should be ready to post those soon.  Already working on Day 2, and will do a separate review for one of the restaurants as well.  When I get to L'Assiette Champenoise and Le Grand, it is going to be hard to remember all of it.   I am also going through all of my photos and picking out the best of the best.  It was a great trip, and I am already planning on going back in 2023.  Have Egypt in November, and most likely a work trip of two coming up. But for next year, thinking my big Spring Trip is France (Paris for a long weekend (staying in Montmartre becuase I love it) then hitting the Loire, and maybe finishing up in Vichy to take the waters) followed by a trip to Capri in September.  There is also a possibility of a week in Morocco at some point, but I am trying to coordinate that with some of my cousins who are interested in going.  

My bucket list trips that I am trying to work into my normal trips to France and Italy are:

Egypt (this year)

Morocco

Jordan and Petra

Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley

Thailand

Seville for Easter

Oktoberfest in Munich

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 2

Ok, so I have started my trip reports.  Number 1 is up.

https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/2022-paris-trip-a-return-to-normalcy

Number 2 is written, and I will post later.  I anticipate posting a new post every 1-3 days.  I unfortunately still have a day job.  Give the site a follow if you are interested.  I will put the more action packed posts on here as well in full.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Day 1 in Paris post is up.  You can get there through instagram or directly to the site.

https://www.instagram.com/mlleshetravels/

https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/2022-paris-trip-a-short-day-1-in-paris

Working on the write up about Montée, which was where I had dinner on Day 1.  Will be posting that in full here.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Day 1 in Paris post is up.  You can get there through instagram or directly to the site.
https://www.instagram.com/mlleshetravels/
https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/2022-paris-trip-a-short-day-1-in-paris
Working on the write up about Montée, which was where I had dinner on Day 1.  Will be posting that in full here.  
PW... check your site on mobile. Whatever theme you're using displays no body/post content on my phone. If I select "desktop view" on my phone, I see everything. It might be an easy setting or you may need to switch themes.

Regardless... love the daily journals. I do the same with my travels and am looking forward to more of yours!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

PW... check your site on mobile. Whatever theme you're using displays no body/post content on my phone. If I select "desktop view" on my phone, I see everything. It might be an easy setting or you may need to switch themes.

Regardless... love the daily journals. I do the same with my travels and am looking forward to more of yours!

Thanks for the heads up.  I need to reset all my mobile settings.  I just fixed all the desktop stuff first.  Will let you know when things look better.

On 5/29/2022 at 9:53 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Good list.

Egypt (this year) - great place. I’ve been for work and pleasure and wish I could go back. There is beauty in the desert.

Morocco

Jordan and Petra - should probably go now that United flys there. I have miles to burn.  

Thailand - Still on of my favorite places I’ve ever been. Stay in Krabi and rent your own boat for the week or however long you are staying. That is the best island hopping. Chang Mai is also a must.

Seville for Easter

Oktoberfest in Munich - I am finally going back this year after the Covid hiatus. One of my favorite events/festivals to attend. Just remember it starts in September 😉. It is very helpful to have a local who can get you into the right tents with good seating. Makes the experience more enjoyable. 

Good bucket list. I provided my comments on the places I’ve been. 

Edited by Telegraph_it
  • Hook 'Em 1

I am working on the Montée write up now and should post that shortly.  Then I will post about Day 2.  Really trying to get a lot of this written.  The plan is to break this up like this.

Montée write up

Day 2 in Paris

Day 3 in Paris

Poliche write up

Day 4 in Paris

Pantagruel write up

Day 5 in Paris

Mosuke write up

Day 6 in Paris - Was in Champagne!

L'Assiette Champenoise write up

Day 7 in Paris

Le Grand write up

Goyard write up

Day 8 in Paris

Le Servan write up

Day 9 in Paris

Return back to the USA via London (there is a whole story here)

17 posts.  Shit, that is a LOT of writing. 

Also, have really started getting the 2023 plan in hand.  As of now, this is the schedule for vacations for next year.

1.  Mid May - Back to France.  Dates already on calendar, and would fly out of NYC Friday night, May 12.  Would come back Memorial Day Weekend (perhaps Sunday, but maybe Monday).  So total days in France not counting travel days would be 15 or 16 days.  I have some friends who might join for part, and my mom might join as well since I would be gone on Mother's Day (talk about a nice Mother's Day present!).  Thinking 3-5 days in Montmartre (Paris), either on the front or back of the trip.  Then other time between the Loire and somewhere in the Southwest of France.  Want to hit areas I have not been before. 

2.  Early September (Labor Day) - Week in Capri.  Want to spend a week really exploring the island.  

3.  Thanksgiving - Machu Picchu is a distinct possibility.  If not Machu Picchu, might take a city break to Madrid or Barcelona.  

Starting to also think through 2024.  We had to cancel Easter in Seville in 2020, so I might try and do this one for Easter 2024.  My friend is absolutely down.  My issue is that is our big push to get financials out.  However, I think I will have a full sized team by that point, and we should have our processes all put in that should allow me to get away for a week.  I hope.  

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

We had to cancel Easter in Seville in 2020, so I might try and do this one for Easter 2024.

We enjoyed our time in Seville in May.  We did favor Mallorca over the other places in Spain we visited (Malaga, Valencia, both coasts of Mallorca, Barcelona and Toledo).  We stayed in the old part of Toledo and it was drop dead medieval beautiful.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/29/2022 at 7:53 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I spent a lot of today working but I also spent time writing up Day 1 and my first dinner in Paris.  I should be ready to post those soon.  Already working on Day 2, and will do a separate review for one of the restaurants as well.  When I get to L'Assiette Champenoise and Le Grand, it is going to be hard to remember all of it.   I am also going through all of my photos and picking out the best of the best.  It was a great trip, and I am already planning on going back in 2023.  Have Egypt in November, and most likely a work trip of two coming up. But for next year, thinking my big Spring Trip is France (Paris for a long weekend (staying in Montmartre becuase I love it) then hitting the Loire, and maybe finishing up in Vichy to take the waters) followed by a trip to Capri in September.  There is also a possibility of a week in Morocco at some point, but I am trying to coordinate that with some of my cousins who are interested in going.  

My bucket list trips that I am trying to work into my normal trips to France and Italy are:

Egypt (this year)

Morocco

Jordan and Petra

Thailand

Seville for Easter

Oktoberfest in Munich

I have done all of these except for Seville. Can give you tips. If youre going to do Machu, do it as the hike up the backside otherwise youre going to be extremely disappointed. Thing buses full of chinese tourists. Oktoberfest in Munich is pretty overrated. It is all foreigners. I would recommend going to a more regional authentic one. Dont miss on Wadi Rum and sleeping out in the desert with the bedouins if you make it to Petra. Pretty easy to throw Israel into that one and Eilat is a great city that you can cross over into Jordan from. Spent 3 months in SE asia. Did Egypt during the 2017 Revolution and have pics at the pyramid without another sole around. 

52 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

I have done all of these except for Seville. Can give you tips. If youre going to do Machu, do it as the hike up the backside otherwise youre going to be extremely disappointed. Thing buses full of chinese tourists. Oktoberfest in Munich is pretty overrated. It is all foreigners. I would recommend going to a more regional authentic one. Dont miss on Wadi Rum and sleeping out in the desert with the bedouins if you make it to Petra. Pretty easy to throw Israel into that one and Eilat is a great city that you can cross over into Jordan from. Spent 3 months in SE asia. Did Egypt during the 2017 Revolution and have pics at the pyramid without another sole around. 

Hike.  Lol.  When I do Machu Picchu, I will take the Hiram Bingham up and back and stay at Santuary Lodge for a few nights.  I am not a hiker/roughing it person.  

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

We enjoyed our time in Seville in May.  We did favor Mallorca over the other places in Spain we visited (Malaga, Valencia, both coasts of Mallorca, Barcelona and Toledo).  We stayed in the old part of Toledo and it was drop dead medieval beautiful.

I have never been to Spain.  So it is definitely on my list.  It is an easy hope from NYC, so I just need to go for a few city break long weekends.  Once we get our systems and processes working right, I should be able to do that.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Hike.  Lol.  When I do Machu Picchu, I will take the Hiram Bingham up and back and stay at Santuary Lodge for a few nights.  I am not a hiker/roughing it person.  

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That's unfortunate, you miss a lot of the world when you stick to the already explored path laid before you. 

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Meh, I am not into roughing it, camping, or anything that lacks running water.  I like nice things and can afford them.  

What an absurdly spoiled princess thing to say. You think that because people want to get off the beaten path they can't afford the beaten path. 

Loves paris and refuses to hike. What a cliche. 

Edited by ATexanAbroad
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

What an absurdly spoiled princess thing to say. You think that because people want to get off the beaten path they can't afford the beaten path. 

Or, you know, she doesn't like getting off the beaten path. My wife is also one of those people. When I travel with her, I travel like PW and I have a blast. I do enjoy getting off the beaten path and have roughed it in some pretty isolated places so I do that with a group of guys I've known forever and have a blast doing that as well. Different strokes. Don't be a judgemental asshole, it's not a good look for anyone.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, royiv said:

Or, you know, she doesn't like getting off the beaten path. My wife is also one of those people. When I travel with her, I travel like PW and I have a blast. I do enjoy getting off the beaten path and have roughed it in some pretty isolated places so I do that with a group of guys I've known forever and have a blast doing that as well. Different strokes. Don't be a judgemental asshole, it's not a good look for anyone.

fuck it doesnt matter

Edited by ATexanAbroad

18 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Dude, you have some cool photos on your Instagram, but don't be a cunt in my thread.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

I dont know if its because shes a woman and you need to stick up for her but reread her post. She says she doesnt like to rough it because she has some cash. That's a pretty ignorant thing to say on her part. I dont give a fuck if she likes to think she is special and wants to travel like the little princess her mother always told her she was. But to say people who "hike" and get off the beaten path do it because theyre poor is ridiculous. 

Hey numbnuts, as someone that has hiked to Manchu Picchu, IT AINT FOR EVERYONE. 

Your reading comprehension is thinner than your skin. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 2:09 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

What is the Hiram Bingham? Is that an outfit company? Do you still get the history of the place explained as with some of the guided walking tours? 

Edited by burntorangebongos

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

What is the Hiram Bingham? Is that an outfit company? Do you still get the history of the place explained as with some of the guided walking tours? 

It is the Belmond Train that takes you up and down the mountain.

https://www.belmond.com/trains/south-america/peru/belmond-hiram-bingham/about

Here is the Sanctuary Lodge up at the top.

https://www.belmond.com/hotels/south-america/peru/machu-picchu/belmond-sanctuary-lodge/

I am assuming you can still get a guided walking tour once you are on the top.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

So, I am working on Day 2.  Day 2 will include the Rallye des Princesses (I want to do this!  Anyone here know anyone in Europe with a classic car?), the Flower Market and Ile de la Cite, Lunch at the restaurant at the Palais Galliera (I did not make it to the exhibit), the Toyen exhibit at the MAM (did not like the other exhibit, but will cover it anyway), and the MAM itself, then dinner at Le Chardenoux.  No separate postings on lunch or dinner, so just one long post.  I am going to try and post this one tonight, but tomorrow at the latest.  

• Fuck You 1

Also, thinking through 2023 France trip.  Dates are now on the calendar for May 12 through May 29.  The 12th and 29th are travel days, so would have 16 days in France.  

As of now, I am thinking this is what I am going to do...

5 days, Alsace (Alsace Wine Trail FTW!)

2 days Vichy (Spa!)

5 days Loire (Loire Wine!)

4 days Paris

I have invited my mom for some of this (maybe do Alsace and Vichy with her, though she has been to Alsace), and a friend from the UK (probably for Loire/Paris) and a friend from Oz (she might come for the whole thing).  

On Alsace, I would make my base in Colmar (love that down) or Riquewihr.  

In Vichy, I would want to stay at Celestins or one of the big Spa Resorts in town.  

On Loire, I would make my base in Amboise.

Then in Paris, we would stay in Montmartre.  

Anyone done any of this in detail?

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

i didnt get the impression from this last trip you were overly enthralled with montmarte.  surprised and pleased you are going back for a week there.  i'll have to read your website posts when i get a chance.  

I really enjoyed it.  I have not written it up just yet.  Spent two days up there.  I think it is beautiful.  

• Fuck You 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to board a flight to Thailand and this was the only thread briefly discussing it. I'll be in Bangkok 4 nights then Chiang Mai 4 nights. I'm thinking one of the beach areas for four nights then back to Bangkok a night or two before flying home. Any suggestions are appreciated.

A blog was suggesting Ko Tao which requires a flight to Ko Samui then a 2 hour ferry to Ko Tao. I live in Hawaii so seeing pretty beaches is fine, but not necessarily a high priority if there are more culturally interesting places to visit in the country. I figured I would go to Bangkok first and get suggestions from locals and expats before booking the last four or five days of the trip.