Penelope Witherspoon's Travel Thread

Ok, so Day 19 was dinner at Montee.  I had first been to Montee in April 2017.  When I went, I loved it, and immediately stated that I thought they would get a Michelin Star shortly.  Sure enough, when the France stars were released this year, they were awarded their first star.  I thought it would be great to enjoy a return trip this go round.

So dinner started  with a glass of Bollinger Special Cuvee.  

i-jKqnrLb-X2.jpg

Then it was time for the amusee-bouches.  First was a layered eggplant bite.  Second was a cheese cracker that absolutely melts in your mouth and is full of flavor.  Third was a candied walnut, which was not overly sugary.  And last was a bowl of dried chopped morel mushrooms, which went amazingly with the champagne and brought out completely different notes in the champagne (no photo of the mushrooms).

i-cjXX57z-X4.jpg

i-7HPxFLT-X4.jpg

The first course was tomato sorbet/granita (was really a cross between the two as it wasn't fully either one) and a corn creme brulee.  First, the tartness and the cold of the sorbet/granita (which wasn't overly tart, but more on the refreshing scale) went really well with the sweetness and warmth of the creme brulee.  I was really impressed with this dish.  Really creative and colorful.

i-CqvktcT-X4.jpg

i-V7RRvfm-X4.jpg

I had finished off my Bolly, and wanted to go with a white to pair with the next courses.  Went with Villa Bel-Air which produces a white Bordeaux blend from Graves.  

i-9LXMcvC-X2.jpg

The next course was salmon tartare with quail egg lentils, salmon aspic, and dill.  It also had a cream of bacon and organge sauce.  Sometimes dill will overpower an entire dish and that is all you taste.  That did not happen here.  All the flavors complimented each other, and the salmon was excellent.  The wine went very well with this dish as well.

i-G3HdkbQ-X4.jpg

Course 3 was a course that I had last time I visited, though with a slight difference.  While last time, it was still the grilled foie gras with banana (it really goes well together), this time, instead of powdered coconut (I still don't know how they got it into t), it was with tapioca smoke (the white powder).  I still think foie gras and banana is one of the best combos ever.

i-nmHCLCf-X4.jpg

At this point, I was finished with the Graves, and wanted to move onto Red, even though the next couple of courses probably warranted a white.  Went with Domaine de l'Asti Beaurepaire Santenay 1er Cru.  I really liked this wine, and it went surprisingly well with the next two courses, which most would have normally paired with a white.

i-gXZzDq7-X2.jpg

Next course was langoustine and avocado in a langoustine bouillon flavored with cinnamon and lime.  If you try the avocado, the bouillon, or the langoustine individually, it was good,  but not mind blowing.  However if you get the perfect bite, with a bit of all three together, it absolutely transformed the dish and made it absolutely outstanding. That is one of the things I noticed about the meal, is that it is always better to have the perfect bite, because the flavors melding together are completely different than individually.

i-M2RMWzS-X4.jpg

Course 5 was cod confit with potatoe and sorrel.  I loved the cod prepared that way, but it was even better when you put everything together.  Again, the Santenay went well with this course as well.

i-bJWDLLD-X4.jpg

Ordered a second glass of the wine for the next course or two.  And Course 6 was rouget and artichoke.  Both the rouget and the artichoke were perfectly cooked.  I loved the rouget (it may be my new favorite fish) and this was the best artichoke I have ever eaten.  

i-qrdMxGK-X4.jpg

The next course was veal schnitzel.  It was a filet of veal cooked medium rare with creamed spinach and a schnitzel on top.  It was served with sauteed mushrooms. Again, another outstanding course.  

i-8fnZpRn-X4.jpg

Next, did a cheese course, because it was Ossau Iraty, which is my favorite cheese.

i-V2kG3wj-X4.jpg

Now it was time for the desserts.  First one was saffron ice cream and an apple cider tarte.  

i-Gmj6T2D-X4.jpg

And the final course was chocolate.  It was a crispy, brownie like chocolate cake covered in melted chocolate.  So good.

i-5wkLX64-X4.jpg

And to end the meal, coffee and crispy pastry covered in powdered sugar.

i-7LNTrJZ-X2.jpg

i-tp2QW2S-X4.jpg

This visit was just as good as the first time I visited. I will be comparing my two visits on one of my posts for my new website, but that probably won't happen for a month or two.  However, for anyone going to Paris, go to Restaurant Montee.  It is one of my favorite restaurants in Paris.

After dinner, on the walk home, stopped by Closerie des Lilas for a drink or two.

i-g25CtTn-X2.jpg

And that wraps up Day 19.

Day 20, I had plans to meet someone for lunch (a food blogger from Paris), and we had a 12:30 reservation.  So I decided to start heading in that direction around 10 and just wander and stop as I went.  

It was an absolutely beautiful day.  I had never been in Paris when it was so sunny.

First, walked by the Pantheon.  I had been there last April, so wasn't going to stop in.  However, it is still an impressive building.

i-KFNtKqk-X4.jpg

Right by the Pantheon is Saint-Etienne-du-Mont.  

i-xvhhWhj-X4.jpg

i-qwbRLdz-X2.jpg

i-mgW4w5g-X2.jpg

This church, and its history, is very, very interesting.  Here is the history of the church itself from its website.

At first, there was the church of Apostles Peter and Paul, built under the reign of King Clovis who was buried here with his wife Clotilde as well as Saint Genevieve. In the Middle Ages, it turned into an important royal abbey under the same name.

During the thirteenth century, the abbey church that hosted the local parish became too small for the growing population, so a second sanctuary was built under the patronage of Saint Stephen, the first martyr. This latter church was eventually rebuilt between 1492 and 1626, in the confused context of the religious wars. The existing Saint-Etienne church was flanking Saint Genevieve abbey.

In 1744, King Louis the Fifteenth decided to replace the abbey church, then in poor condition, by an imposing monument which eventually became, through repeated mishaps, the existing Panthéon. The abbey church was devastated during the French Revolution and the relics of saint Geneviève were burnt. The buildings of the abbey were converted into what is now Henri-IV school and the abbey church was pulled down in 1804 to make room for Rue Clovis ; its only remnant now is the bell-tower, enclosed in the school premises.

Saint-Etienne du Mont then inherited the relics of and the devotion to Saint Genevieve.

Here is the inside of the church.

i-Zw9mqZ4-X2.jpg

The choir screen is the single most beautiful feature of this church.

i-Z3gPTxt-X4.jpg

The other most important thing about this church is the Saint Genevieve chapel.  Saint Genevieve is the patron saint of Paris.  Her remains were burned during the Revolution.  What the chapel has now are the relics that other churches contained (bone fragments) and the remaining stones of her original sarcophagus.

i-f7VVpD9-X2.jpg

i-wfzqVrt-X2.jpg

i-GwBwhf3-X4.jpg

i-k3kMLcJ-X4.jpg

i-ZNcLQQm-X4.jpg

i-kZDk2zK-X4.jpg

i-mWcZVW7-X2.jpg

The stained glass windows in this church are also quite stunning.

i-XtkcVFc-X4.jpg

i-KCVPTJH-X4.jpg

i-cFzZ52v-X4.jpg

i-QWNwmdL-X4.jpg

i-NxJXbQ5-X2.jpg

i-z5mftKQ-X2.jpg

Lunch was at Baieta.  Unfortunately, my lunch companion was in the hostpital, and I did not know (his wife called the restaurant, and they either did not understand, or declined to let me know), but I still had a good lunch there.  

i-2s72T9p-X2.jpg

Rather than doing a multi course meal, I was just going to have something lighter, plus cheese, plus dessert.  Went with the mini farcis in Julia's way.  These were bright peppers/veggies stuffed with crab stuffing.  Really, really good.  Am really glad I went with that.  That was very filling.

i-McWfBPX-X4.jpg

Cheese course

i-XPVZSXJ-X2.jpg

i-3DvGJmb-X2.jpg

And this was strawberry sorbet, with strawberries, and candy cigarettes.

i-pmm5RhD-X4.jpg

All in all, a relatively light lunch.

More walking through Paris and the Delacroix exhibit at the Louvre to come.

• Like 1

Sorry about the long quote in the post above.  Only the paragraph in the church was supposed to be in quotes.   And then I could not edit.  Sigh.

Day 20 continued.

More Paris sites on a gorgeous day.

i-CdpjcfR-X4.jpg

i-CGgpbL6-X4.jpg

i-c2vR9J3-X4.jpg

i-9DNmtTZ-X4.jpg

i-QM9qjPF-X2.jpg

i-C5WhvzH-X2.jpg

Stopped at the Church of Saint-Severin.

i-3tZM98T-X4.jpg

i-9zFxZ53-X2.jpg

i-XFCS5ZB-X4.jpg

i-js4pPfv-X4.jpg

i-sKKsGdD-X2.jpg

Here are the Roman Baths that are part of the Musee de Cluny, which was closed when I was in Paris.

i-HC8PN9m-X4.jpg

Then it was time to watch Les Bleus.  Stopped in at Le Hibou.  Next time I am in Paris, I am definitely going to spend more time here.

i-LthfBZR-X4.jpg

i-DfnJx9S-X2.jpg

And then, I finally made it to the Louvre.

i-v5DD5TH-X4.jpg

i-QTHHR8J-X4.jpg

i-DwrtvCh-X2.jpg

My personal favorites from the exhibit. 

Liberty leading the people.  Is probably my favorite painting of all time.

i-NCWkBPz-X4.jpg

An etching - Macbeth consults the witches.

i-r4mrWxM-X2.jpg

From Faust - Marguerite in the church

i-B8vhDt8-X2.jpg

Tiger Royal

i-77gWRWc-X4.jpg

Young Tiger and its Mother

i-9rTSDmq-X4.jpg

Medea

i-DmtH8Wk-X2.jpg

Calvary

i-ngNsCFX-X2.jpg

Hamlet consulting Yorick

i-FwvZf5w-X4.jpg

Horses in Water

i-jvbHW4F-X4.jpg

Etretat

i-PKngmBC-X4.jpg

La Mer a Dieppe

i-24mpmRF-X4.jpg

More Louvre

i-fJ2ZmXf-X4.jpg

i-dQZfn5Z-X4.jpg

i-Gkfdrks-X2.jpg

Only dinner left to go.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Saint-Etienne-du-Mont has a sign (or did) saying something to the effect of Dan Brown is a fiction writer and nothing in his asshole books is real. So stop asking us stupid questions.

I missed that.  I just love the history that next to the existing structure is where the Abbey of St. Genevieve originally was located.  

Day 20 dinner was a revisit to Le Chateaubriand.  I last went there in November 2015.  This year, it received its first Michelin Star.  So I thought it would be a very interesting time to revisit.

First course were the signature cheese puffs (I believe these were served in my last visit).  This was paired with an apple cider made with 17 types of apples.  Unfortunately, I did not get a copy of the menu and wines this year, but I do know some of the specific bottles.  The cheese puffs were great.

i-5qKt5kd-X4.jpg

i-LdFWfw4-X2.jpg

Next was a raspberry ceviche.  This was served with a strawberry and anise liquor from the Basque region.  

i-XmzgjNC-X2.jpg

i-ZHhbmGG-X2.jpg

Next was a fried sardine roll with lime zest.  Inside with the Sardine was a mixture of Indian spices.  This was amazing, and I really do not like Sardines.  This was served with a Rose from Tavel (an AOC in France that only does Rose).  I loved this wine.  

i-fndM573-X4.jpg

i-DJ3sH5n-X2.jpg

i-PPCbZjJ-X2.jpg

Next was a samphire risotto with mussels and clovers (lemon clover I believe).  The clover gives it a hint of citrus.  The mussels were excellent.

i-KsLnqK3-X2.jpg

i-Tm9HWxS-X4.jpg

Next was a soup of cucumbers, fresh almonds, and fig oil, all served cold.  This was basically a palate cleanser.

i-4WqN6Q8-X4.jpg

Then we come to the main courses.  

First smain course was white tuna with a lemon sauce and herbs.  This was served with a 100% savagnin blanc from the Jura, which I absolutely loved.  The lemon sauce was absolutely stunning and some of the best tuna I have had in ages.  It paired perfectly with the wine.

i-XQkqz6z-X4.jpg

i-L7rL94h-X4.jpg

i-6QW7KT4-X2.jpg

There as a second fish course, which I believe was a turbot. This was served with mussel juice flavored with rhubarb, elderflowers, mustard, and then on top of the fush are cut green beans and elderflowers.  This was served with a 2015 orange wine from Austria.  Another amazingly complex dish and a well paired wine.

i-6QCkHnS-X4.jpg

i-3GfjMrL-X2.jpg

Final main course was lamb with potatoes, parsley, and yeast.  This was served with a 2012 Morey Saint Denis.  Loved the wine.   The lamb was great, but I enjoyed the fish courses better, which is usually not the case, so that tells you how good the fish was.  

i-FpDhBvW-X2.jpg

i-vmscNwz-X2.jpg

i-jbd9NZb-X2.jpg

Cheese course that had ossau iraty, chevre, and some other semi-hard cheese.  Served with an Alsace riesling.

i-QCSNMjw-X4.jpg

i-j7K7JdQ-X2.jpg

i-5HWB34r-X2.jpg

There were two desserts.  Cherry sorbet with with fresh cherries and capers (I know!).  It was different, and surprisingly refreshing.  This was served with a (I believe based on my notes) red Muscat wine (i.e. fortified wine from Languedoc-Roussillon).

i-hZHfjRc-X4.jpg

i-Gdmd2Lf-X2.jpg

The second dessert is their signature, and it is basically a butterscotch egg.  

i-N8DnDcH-X4.jpg

Then, the gentleman next to me offered me a glass from his bottle, which was a very good red from the Jura.  I had that while I ate these raspberries.

i-kTFk6P3-X4.jpg

i-DfwQQx4-X2.jpg

i-JwpbBG5-X2.jpg

Finished the entire evening with a nice glass of champagne.

i-Rj6dFtn-X2.jpg

As with Montee, this continues to be one of my favorite restaurants in Paris.  And I will also do a post on my website comparing my two visits.  Next time I am in Paris, I plan on revisiting both again, especially as it will probably be a year or two until I return.

And that wraps up Day 20. Day 21 to come.

• Like 1

Ok, finally on Day 21.  This is the last full day of my vacation.  

Once I left the apartment, I walked through the Jardin du Luxembourg.  During summer, it is absolutely gorgeous, and the sculptures are stunning.

i-FmhNxPr-X4.jpg

i-VsfZn4g-X4.jpg

However, the Medici Fountain is probably the absolutely most stunning part of this park.  I had no idea it was here.  Its history is very interesting, given that it was moved from its original location when Haussmann was reimagining Paris.

i-VBX8csq-X4.jpg

i-VVx59tD-X4.jpg

The front of the French Senate.

i-pF7bQ2n-X2.jpg

I stopped for a bit of lunch at Le Tournon, which is right across from the Senate.  It is pretty well known as it was the center of the African American ex pat community in the 50's in Paris AND was the meeting place of the founders of the Paris Review.

i-c6CmJ2G-X2.jpg

Yes, those are hideous paintings of the Jardin du Luxembourg inside.

i-76tR6Ch-X4.jpg

Lunch was foie gras and rouget.

i-VF6sg5b-X4.jpg

i-TQN4DbM-X4.jpg

Both were simple and very, very good.  The rouget was excellent.

After lunch, headed to go shopping.  Had to wait in line a bit, but apparently, I have joined a club where I have actually spent enough money to be able to make an appointment.  So I have that going for me.

i-P7FVRJL-X4.jpg

After an afternoon in the shops on Rue Saint-Honore, stopped for a glass of Rose and watched the people.  And they were definitely out in force.

i-jfpJ6Fk-X2.jpg

Diagonally across from this cafe is the building that formerly used to house Colette.  Obviously, even though Colette closed in December, it is clearly still in the hears and minds of some.

i-Lsh36Gj-X4.jpg

Then I headed back through the Jardin des Tuileries.  Paris really is beautiful in the summer.

i-HBTK9Lg-X4.jpg

i-H5s2wWr-X4.jpg

Crossing across the Seine.

i-FNL9hmm-X4.jpg

Once I got back to my building, I noticed this.  I had noticed them throughout Paris, but had not noted it.  It is a really stunning reminder that this beautiful city has seen some real tragedy.  I think this are wonderful tributes for those who made the ultimate sacrifice to save Paris.

i-JcqgmkC-X2.jpg

I spent most of the evening packing, and ordered dinner in.  I had an 8 AM flight from CDG in the AM, so left the apartment very early so I could do all my VAT returns and not have to rush around too much.  Getting through CDG was a breeze. It helps to fly business.

So all in all a successful trip.  There were definitely things I had planned on doing that I did not do.  But I had a good time, and that is all that matters.  

• Like 1

Am starting to plan for 2019 and 2020.  So far, I have the following:

2019 - Sicily (and maybe Malta) -Late September 

2020 - Martinique (Mom's 70th Birthday) - Late February (for Carnival)

2020 - Alaska Cruise (Dad's 75th Birthday) - Late July or August

Everything else is hazy.  Have the Ionian Islands, Morocco, Portugal, Puglia (Italy), South of France (yes, again, but hopefully for a month), Istanbul, Egypt and Petra, Thailand, Bali, Croatia, a Dracula Tour in Romania/Eastern Europe, and the Trio of Vienna, Prague and Budapest.  I know, that is a long list, but I am hoping to knock off a lot of that in the next 5 years.

9 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Getting through CDG was a breeze. It helps to fly business.

Amen to that. Had an 11:30am flight, and the airline site said be there 4 hours early becaise of high volume. Arrived about 7:50, after a great uber trip, and airside by 8:15. Wasn’t expecting a fast-track type deal through security, but there it was. Lounge was decent, nice little breakfast spread. Sat and watched planes for a good bit. Nice time, but 2-2:30 early would have been more than enough. Maybe the 11:30ish bank isn’t as crowded as the earlier morning one. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, two small trips coming up.  A quick day and a half in New York.  I wanted to go to the Costume Institute Exhibit at the Met before it closed and I had enough miles and points...so, going to New York.  Leave first thing in the morning on Friday, September 28.  Arrive back in Houston on Saturday, September 29 around 8pm.  Fly into EWR.  Will take the train into Manhattan. Staying at the JW Marriott Essex House.  Will have a late lunch at Le Coucou.  After lunch, will head to the Met.  It is open late on Fridays, so I can catch the Costume Exhibit and maybe take in the Delacroix Exhibit (yep, same one from Paris) which opens on the 17th of September while I am there.  No dinner plans as of yet, but looking at Kish-Kash, which is a new Couscous restaurant in Manhattan.  Saturday morning is breakfast at Russ & Daughters first thing.  Then I have no idea.  I am not checking bags, and I have TSA Pre-Check, so I figure being at LGA an hour before my flight is probably good (its been a while, anyone flown in and out of LGA lately?  I hear the construction is awful).  Thinking lunch before I fly out at Taverna Kyclades in Astoria.  Looks amazing.

Then, first weekend in November, I am heading to Mexico City.  Leave first thing in the morning Friday, November 2.  Come back on Monday, November 5th.  Only things I know for sure is that I am doing the Taco Omakase at Pujol at 6:30 on Friday night and I am going to Teotihuacan first thing either Saturday or Sunday morning.  Probably Saturday as I have heard Sundays are a good day to avoid due to free admission for all Mexican citizens on Sundays.  I am still doing my research here, but I am sure I will be back.

I also might be heading to the UK, but that would be for a christening and time with friends, so not a lot of touristy stuff, unless I convince my friends to get the kids out of school and we go on adventures or I just go on my own.  Which I have done.  

18 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So, two small trips coming up.  A quick day and a half in New York.  I wanted to go to the Costume Institute Exhibit at the Met before it closed and I had enough miles and points...so, going to New York.  Leave first thing in the morning on Friday, September 28.  Arrive back in Houston on Saturday, September 29 around 8pm.  Fly into EWR.  Will take the train into Manhattan. Staying at the JW Marriott Essex House.  Will have a late lunch at Le Coucou.  After lunch, will head to the Met.  It is open late on Fridays, so I can catch the Costume Exhibit and maybe take in the Delacroix Exhibit (yep, same one from Paris) which opens on the 17th of September while I am there.  No dinner plans as of yet, but looking at Kish-Kash, which is a new Couscous restaurant in Manhattan.  Saturday morning is breakfast at Russ & Daughters first thing.  Then I have no idea.  I am not checking bags, and I have TSA Pre-Check, so I figure being at LGA an hour before my flight is probably good (its been a while, anyone flown in and out of LGA lately?  I hear the construction is awful).  Thinking lunch before I fly out at Taverna Kyclades in Astoria.  Looks amazing.

Then, first weekend in November, I am heading to Mexico City.  Leave first thing in the morning Friday, November 2.  Come back on Monday, November 5th.  Only things I know for sure is that I am doing the Taco Omakase at Pujol at 6:30 on Friday night and I am going to Teotihuacan first thing either Saturday or Sunday morning.  Probably Saturday as I have heard Sundays are a good day to avoid due to free admission for all Mexican citizens on Sundays.  I am still doing my research here, but I am sure I will be back.

I also might be heading to the UK, but that would be for a christening and time with friends, so not a lot of touristy stuff, unless I convince my friends to get the kids out of school and we go on adventures or I just go on my own.  Which I have done.  

Taverna Kyclades is good and fun and cheap. You may have a wait for Saturday lunch.  LGA is a shit hole as always, but 1 hour early with pre-check and no checked bags should be fine. 

I'm in Italy now.  I don't have the time, energy, or creativity to journal the way PW does.  

The weather is tits, the food is great, the wine is cheap, and the girlfriend is horny.   We're on night 6 and all is well.   Flew into Milan from MIA.  Took the train to Florence.  Two nights in Florence, then the train to my buddy's place in Castiglione del Lago.  Rented a car, and we've done excursions around here for 3 days.  Hopping on the train tomorrow for Amalfi for 4 nights.  Then to Rome for a few more, then back home. 

On 9/8/2018 at 4:15 PM, Gil Bang said:

I'm in Italy now.  I don't have the time, energy, or creativity to journal the way PW does.  

The weather is tits, the food is great, the wine is cheap, and the girlfriend is horny.   We're on night 6 and all is well.   Flew into Milan from MIA.  Took the train to Florence.  Two nights in Florence, then the train to my buddy's place in Castiglione del Lago.  Rented a car, and we've done excursions around here for 3 days.  Hopping on the train tomorrow for Amalfi for 4 nights.  Then to Rome for a few more, then back home. 

Pics or it didn't happen.  The horny GF part....

I write mine up once I'm back. This the reason it takes me so long. Real life and all.

Update on trip planning for next year.  I think I am going to push Sicily back a year or two.  My reasoning is that I am thinking rather than taking two big trips next year, I am going to take 4-5 smaller trips.  

Right now, thinking the following:

Lisbon and Porto (a week)

Copenhagen (long weekend)

Colombia (a week) (want to hit Bogota and Cartagena)

Durham, UK for Lumiere (long weekend or a week - might also add Paris here as will be close to Thanksgiving and will have had to get a new passport)

And then might add in Puebla Mexico or Veracruz for a long weekend

2020, thinking Martinique for carnival, and then trying to think through other things.  Just so many places to go!

Sorry VA, that sounded a bit over the top. 

I was just wanting to point out to the casual reader that very few routes from MIA have INTL F, which AA only has on their 77W. Anything else is Business class. (BA codeshares aside.)

In business, you have access to the Flagship Lounge. On the rare occasion of acutal F (77W), then on top of the Flagship Lounge, you also have access to Flagship Dining (which is a separate area within the Flagship Lounge) that provides a sit down menu service. 

FCO was a clusterfuck for our early morning flight.  I hope you have better luck.  They didn't open the counters on time for some reason, so a huge line built up and the agents were not in a hurry.  I was worried if we were going to make our flight for awhile, but luckily security was fast. Give yourself plenty of time.  Safe travels.

Edited by kevwun

FCO was a clusterfuck for our early morning flight.  I hope you have better luck.  They didn't open the counters on time for some reason, so a huge line built up and the agents were not in a hurry.  I was worried if we were going to make our flight for awhile, but luckily security was fast. Give yourself plenty of time.  Safe travels.

We arrived a little over 2 hours before departure and it was fairly smooth. Sitting on the plane now (5F mofos, got an upgrade). Just hope we have a smooth connection in CLT which might be dicey.

Rome traffic is fucking nuts. No way I would drive in that shit.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:41 PM, thunderlounge said:

Sorry VA, that sounded a bit over the top. 

I was just wanting to point out to the casual reader that very few routes from MIA have INTL F, which AA only has on their 77W. Anything else is Business class. (BA codeshares aside.)

In business, you have access to the Flagship Lounge. On the rare occasion of acutal F (77W), then on top of the Flagship Lounge, you also have access to Flagship Dining (which is a separate area within the Flagship Lounge) that provides a sit down menu service. 

It’s all good. You’re correct. We had access to everything but the first class dining room. However, drinks were top shelf alcohol and serve your own. 

In Italy now but hoping to eat toad legs for dinner tomorrow. 

FWIW, the old US Air 321's are complete and total dogshit.  I was in first class, and it sucked.  No entertainment, seats were shit, etc.

I was more comfortable in Prem Econ on the 777 on the way over. 

I do like the way CLT runs customs and baggage recheck.  It was as efficient as it could be. 

Ok, Mexico City is finally somewhat planned out.

Friday - Arrive in the AM.  Then once I drop my bag off, will do lunch and a walking tour of downtown.  Planning on hitting the following during my lunchtime stroll..

Marisqueria el K-Guamo, El Huequito, and then will browse through the Mercado de San Juan.  Also plan on getting a coffee at Cafe Villarias (at the little cafe next to the shop) as well as some beans to take home.  And might have to stop at the Pulqueria Las Duelistas before heading to Zocalo.  Plan on visiting the Metropolitan Cathedral, Templo Mayor, and the Palacio Nacional (just want to see the mural).  After than, need to head back to the house, get changed and head to Polanco, where I have a 6:30 reservation at Pujol.  Going for the Taco Omakase, because why not.  This will be an early night as will be heading out to Teotihuacan on Saturday AM early.

Saturday - Will start out really early. Going to go grab a pastry or two (and hopefully scrounge up some coffee) at Pasteleria Ideal.  Then I am heading to the bus station to take the bus out to Teotihuacan.  My goal is to be at the site at 8 am.  I know myself, and I will most likely only spend about 3-4 hours out there, so I want to start early.  I have lunch booked at Bistrot Maximo at 1:30 on Saturday.  After that, will just wander around Roma Norte, where there seems to be some pretty good shopping.  I have especially been looking for places that have homemade wares.  Dinner is a late dinner at Restaurante Lur, but the guys behind Biko. 

Sunday - planning on another early AM.  This one to be able to grab breakfast at Panderia Rosetta.  Then want to head to Chapultepec, and hopefully visit the castillo.  Also planning on taking in the Anthropology Museum on this day as well.  Lunch is just going to be snacks as I walk around.  Due to most things being closed at night on Sunday, I have an early dinner planned at Carmela y Sal.  

Monday - My flight departs at 10, so I am not going to have a lot of time for anything.  Will probably try and scrounge up a pastry and coffee for breakfast before heading to the airport.

I am definitely not going to make it out to Casa Azul, and I am bummed that the Ballet Folklorico does not have anything on its schedule at this time (though that could change). 

Friday - Arrive in the AM.  Then once I drop my bag off, will do lunch and a walking tour of downtown.  Planning on hitting the following during my lunchtime stroll..
Marisqueria el K-Guamo, El Huequito, and then will browse through the Mercado de San Juan.  Also plan on getting a coffee at Cafe Villarias (at the little cafe next to the shop) as well as some beans to take home.  And might have to stop at the Pulqueria Las Duelistas before heading to Zocalo.  Plan on visiting the Metropolitan Cathedral, Templo Mayor, and the Palacio Nacional (just want to see the mural).  After than, need to head back to the house, get changed and head to Polanco, where I have a 6:30 reservation at Pujol.  Going for the Taco Omakase, because why not.  This will be an early night as will be heading out to Teotihuacan on Saturday AM early.
Saturday - Will start out really early. Going to go grab a pastry or two (and hopefully scrounge up some coffee) at Pasteleria Ideal.  Then I am heading to the bus station to take the bus out to Teotihuacan.  My goal is to be at the site at 8 am.  I know myself, and I will most likely only spend about 3-4 hours out there, so I want to start early.  I have lunch booked at Bistrot Maximo at 1:30 on Saturday.  After that, will just wander around Roma Norte, where there seems to be some pretty good shopping.  I have especially been looking for places that have homemade wares.  Dinner is a late dinner at Restaurante Lur, but the guys behind Biko. 
Sunday - planning on another early AM.  This one to be able to grab breakfast at Panderia Rosetta.  Then want to head to Chapultepec, and hopefully visit the castillo.  Also planning on taking in the Anthropology Museum on this day as well.  Lunch is just going to be snacks as I walk around.  Due to most things being closed at night on Sunday, I have an early dinner planned at Carmela y Sal.  
Monday - My flight departs at 10, so I am not going to have a lot of time for anything.  Will probably try and scrounge up a pastry and coffee for breakfast before heading to the airport.
I am definitely not going to make it out to Casa Azul, and I am bummed that the Ballet Folklorico does not have anything on its schedule at this time (though that could change). 

My boy and I bought Oaxacan tamales from the bike vendors riding around everywhere the night before. Then had them for breakfast at the airport (they made it through security). They were damned good for breakfast.

My boy and I bought Oaxacan tamales from the bike vendors riding around everywhere the night before. Then had them for breakfast at the airport (they made it through security). They were damned good for breakfast.

Ok, I am heading to NYC in less than two weeks, and I have a conundrum.  

Right now, for dinner on Friday, I have a reservation at Marea.  It is close to my hotel, and after spending the evening at the Met, I thought that would be a good choice.  However, I am intrigued by Olmstead and Agern.  Both look very, very good.  Thoughts?

Ok, I am heading to NYC in less than two weeks, and I have a conundrum.  
Right now, for dinner on Friday, I have a reservation at Marea.  It is close to my hotel, and after spending the evening at the Met, I thought that would be a good choice.  However, I am intrigued by Olmstead and Agern.  Both look very, very good.  Thoughts?

Olmstead is very good, though a bit random if you weren’t already planning to be in brooklyn. There are some cool bars nearby if that is your jam. Agern is good, but being in grand central (and admittedly passing by it every single day on my way to work) drops it down for me.

Ok, just booked a flight to Pirtugal for next March. Fly out of Austin on March 22 via LHR and then come back on March 31. Not flying out of Houston as I can kill two birds with one stone and drop the dogs off with my folks and then they can take me to the airport (and pick me up).

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 9:50 PM, thunderlounge said:

Heads up: Lufthansa begins service between Austin (AUS) and Frankfurt (FRA) on May 3rd next year.

Lufthansa Press Release

(Also cross-posted to the miles/travel thread.)

Curious to see how much the flights are going to be as we are planning to go to Munich next September.  Flights from IAH to Munich are stupid expensive for the dates we are looking at(not Oktoberfest).  Not sure if it's one of the weird price spikes that happen or if Lufthanza is just that expensive.

Edited by kevwun