Penelope Witherspoon's Travel Thread

I've spent most of the evening trying to get a document out, and I am tired of reading it, so I thought I would take a break and post more.  

I got up from a nice nap and headed up to the rooftop bar of my hotel for a nice glass of Portuguese sparkling wine.  You can see my lovely bandage on my hand.

i-nrXpVMT-X4.jpg

i-cF9VznG-X2.jpg

At about 7:00 or 7:15, I headed to Cervejaria Ramiro.  When I got there, there were already masses of people waiting.  I had nothing better to do, so I grabbed a beer and settled in to wait.  2 hours later, I got a table.  So if you are going, go around 6, and the wait shouldn't be too bad.  7:00 or later will probably be a long wait.  However, they do have a 2 Euro Sagres beer machine on the patio.

i-PHcJ2hm-X2.jpg 

Once I got in, they nicely covered up my handbag to protect it from any seafood juices.  When you order, everything is by the Kg.  As a result, I ordered one red shrimp and the lobster.  They brought the live lobster out so I could see its size, and it was just right.  I really want to return with a group of people so I can try more things.  Definitely a place to go with a group.  Ordered a half bottle of Vinho Verde to wash it all down.

i-vCdzGMc-X4.jpg

i-6BkZdGv-X4.jpg

The bread I ordered.  So tasty.

i-tNVqzFS-X2.jpg

Red shrimp, before and after.

i-QgFp59r-X4.jpg

i-LwcJ3RS-X4.jpg

The lobster before and after.

i-xJ8gs7K-X4.jpg

i-NNkPRM5-X4.jpg (2048Ã996)

The building the restaurant is in.  The restaurant is bigger on the second floor.  All those lighted windows, the entire 2nd floor, is additional seating.  Well worth a trip IMO.

i-gxBJNCG-X4.jpg

Afterwards, wanted to walk around and work off some of my dinner.  This is a tile business in the same neighborhood.

i-X9kBRsw-X4.jpg

Yes, that is all tile work on the front of the building.

After wandering, I headed to Cafe Klandenstino.  This was a highly recommended cocktail bar in Lisbon, so I decided to stop in.  It isn't very big, but I loved the inside of it.

i-m6KBR9S-X2.jpg

There is a small loft large enough to seat a smaller group of people, 2-4 at most.

i-7mjjKwx-X4.jpg

i-3pcCpJG-X2.jpg

The bartender/owner and behind the bar. 

i-79qvRtw-X4.jpg

i-HV8X2Fn-X4.jpg

More of the interior.  

i-HzGfPLD-X4.jpg

First, an A Fronteira.

i-K5p6cgp-X2.jpg

i-XntLLvh-X4.jpg

Then Cha ao Fundo.

i-sTVRbHg-X2.jpg

i-L9f2WrZ-X2.jpg

Caffe Campari

i-FHVCxMs-X2.jpg

i-VMNVG8j-X2.jpg

Then a Cafe Del Dueno

i-ghCvCxL-X2.jpg

i-tD2RWWs-X2.jpg

To be continued...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Kafe Klandestino closes at midnight on Sunday, though I was able to hang out until about 12:30 or so, and the bartender made me a special drink, which I did not get a photo of.  Seriously, great place to grab some cocktails.

Afterwards, started wandering around.  Stopped into Gambrinus and had a few glasses of Port.  Gambrinus is old school and on my list for a return visit.

i-6DLC6mJ-X2.jpg

i-xbNt9r8-X2.jpg

i-QhmsMwk-X4.jpg

i-MqQnWR5-X2.jpg

i-F89NWM7-X4.jpg

After my two glasses of port and a bica, it was almost 2 AM.  But I was less than tired, so I decided to head out for a nice walk.

First, hit Rossio Square.  My photos of the amazing stonework on the park didn't turn out, but I got a geat photo of the Teatro Nacional D. Maria II, the main theater in Lisbon.  You can kind of see the wave pattern on the ground here, but again, not great.

i-Bzgt6NK-X4.jpg

Also, passed the Santa Justa Lift.

i-wz3XwBw-X2.jpg

Then headed down to Praça do Comércio.  It was a great walk with out all the people, though there were some people out and about.  First, saw Lisbon's own Triumphal Arch, Arco da Rua Augusta.

i-QcvmF9r-X2.jpg

Then got some excellent photos without all the throngs of people that ususally are in the square.

i-whfQ4F7-X4.jpg

i-bzxN8jj-X4.jpg

For those that do not know, old Lisbon was largely destroyed by a giant 1755 earthquake (November 1, 1755) which spawned a tsunami and massive fires.  A lot of the city was rebuilt after (except Alfama, which escaped the destruction).  This is the new Praça do Comércio, which was rebult from 1755 to 1777.

After that, grabbed an Uber back to the hotel and crashed.  Day 3 in Lisbon coming shortly.

• Like 1

Ok, Day 3.  Slept in pretty late after my long evening the night before.  Afterall, that is what you are supposed to do on vacation!

Had a lunch reservation at 1 at JNcQUOI.  The food here is very, very good, but it is expensive.  That being said, you get to have lunch with a dinosaur, so I was all in.

i-kgwQzqW-X4.jpg

Started my lunch with the acorn fed Moldanado ham.  That is served with grilled bread with tomato.  Tomato bread has become a favorite of mine lately (Looking at you, Theodore Rex), and this was really tasty as well.

i-97S8KvL-X4.jpg

To drink, I kept with an Alvarinho, the Quinta de Soalheiro 2016 "Primeiras Vinhas".  I really enjoyed it.  

My main course, was of course, red shrimp.  The scarlet prawns were served in lemon butter and came with a basmati rice.  I also ordered some sauteed greens (deperate for some green veggies) which were excellent.  The scarlet prawns were amazing, almost as good as those at Ramiro.  As with those at Ramiro, I sucked the heads with gusto, though was a little more dainty with these.

i-qKcrGjB-X4.jpg

i-tzgw9v4-X4.jpg

i-qPzdvHV-X2.jpg

For dessert, I had the Pao de Lo, which is a traditional Portuguese sponge cake.  Not going to lie, I am a fan of Portuguese desserts.  

i-7PP3dZj-X4.jpg

After lunch, walked down Avenida da Liberdade, and took in the sites.

i-s8NLqmt-X2.jpg

i-n2Wzc3d-X4.jpg

Eventually, game to the Gloria Funicular.  Took that up, as that was really close to the other things I wanted to see.  It was a lot of fun.

i-pKjvt2L-X4.jpg

i-M8xvGBs-X2.jpg

Got to see more beautiful tiled buildings.

i-xwsbg2g-X2.jpg

More of Day 3 to come.  There is a lot!  Churches, ruins, and sweeping views to come.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

First stop after lunch was the Church of St. Roch.  It is THE first Jesuit church in the Portuguese world, and one of the first in the world.  

The outside is very plain.  The inside, most definitely not.

i-rTXnkz9-X2.jpg

i-tt6Jnmv-X2.jpg

Main chapel and knave.

i-gXxPLdB-X4.jpg

i-jHJD5bn-X2.jpg

Here is Chapel of Our Lady of Piety.

This chapel was founded in 1613, by Martim Gonçalves da Câmara, buried there. The decoration of the retable took place between 1707 and 1716, at the initiative of the Congregation of Our Lady of Mercy. As a central theme presents the "Calvary", surrounded by a crown of angels on a painted stucco background, representing the walls of Jerusalem. 

In the center, the tabernacle stands out, with a painting representing "Nossa Senhora da Soledade"; on it rests a beautiful "Pieta", in upholstered and polychrome wood, from the seventeenth century. Inside the altar-showcase is an image of the "Our Lady of Good Death". In the intrador of the arch of the chapel two sculptures are observed, representing St. Longuinho and Santa Verónica, of the beginning of century XVIII. 

This type of composition begins in Portugal a certain theatrical taste, in the decorative field of the churches, marking the transition from the "national baroque" to a style based on the concept of "stage-audience", originating from the Baroque of Bernini.

i-KCJJtGf-X2.jpg

i-k9jQWjQ-X4.jpg

i-vSRGBZL-X4.jpg

Chapel of Our Lady of Doctrine

The Chapel of Our Lady of the Doctrine was instituted in 1612 by the so-called "Congregation of Mechanical Officials or the Lady of the Doctrine" and began on March 1, 1634. 

Its decoration in gilded carving, representative of the baroque "National style" , dates from the last half of the seventeenth century and the beginning of the eighteenth century. In it, elements imported from the Italian baroque are combined, namely the spiral, salomonic columns, decorated with elements of national creation, such as bunches of grapes, vines and fowl, as well as the altarpiece in the form of a Romanesque portal. To complete the gilded carving, the lower walls feature marquetry inlaid marbles, decorative technique of Italian influence. 

It is an artistic manifestation that reaches a decorative exuberance in Portugal, in the first half of the XVIII century. 

To the center of the altarpiece is an image of Santa Ana and the Virgin, in upholstered and polychrome wood from the end of the 17th century. On each side, images of São Joaquim and Santa Ana, from the same period. 

In the lateral walls, niches are observed protecting groups of reliquaries in the form of busts. 

The balustrade is in ebony wood, with marble basins, bearing the emblem of the Brotherhood of the Doctrine, according to the theme of the chapel.

i-zzvrCBs-X2.jpg

i-3cDGSdP-X4.jpg

i-tCMMDW5-X2.jpg

i-gQ948GZ-X2.jpg

The Chapel of Saint Roch - this is my personal favorite of all the chapels.

This chapel is located in the place where the head of the primitive Hermitage of S. Roque, before the construction of the present church, would be situated. After its foundation, it was administered by the Brotherhood or Confraternity of São Roque. 

The central image of the altarpiece is the church holder, in upholstered and polychrome wood, from the 17th century. On each side, two sculptures from the same period, respectively, St. James and St. Sebastian. On the altar and interspersed with the sconces of the banquette, six sculptures in silver wood represent the Apostles St. Peter and St. Paul, and the four holy Evangelists. 

The lateral painting, located on the left side, represents the "apparition of the angel to São Roque", executed in the second half of the sixteenth century by Gaspar Dias. It is one of the best works of this renowned painter of Portuguese mannerism. 

The tile panels on the side walls are representative of the Mannerist tiles from the late 16th century; its decoration includes scenes related to the life of S. Roque, with the signature of the author, Francisco de Matos, dated 1584, on the lower left hand side.

On the doors of the balustrade, in jacaranda wood, if the coat of arms of the Confraternity of São Roque is represented.

i-ZXZfFx3-X2.jpg

i-ZHVpdKC-X4.jpg

i-GR6bW4f-X2.jpg

i-pKcNmfB-X2.jpg

Chapel of Saint John the Baptist

This chapel was commissioned by D. João V to the Roman architects Luigi Vanvitelli and Nicola Salvi in 1740 and built between 1742 and 1747. On December 15, 1744, it was sacred by Pope Benedict XIV in Rome, armed for the supreme pontiff to celebrate mass on May 6, 1747. In September of that same year, it was dismantled and transported to Lisbon, in three ships, and later settled in the Church of San Roque, in the space of the old chapel of the Holy Spirit. 

The Chapel of St. John the Baptist is a unique work of art in its style, unparalleled in Italy itself, as it includes a collection of cult pieces of exceptional artistic quality, namely the collections of goldsmiths and paramentaries, which are partially exhibition at the S. Roque Museum. 

In its coatings we find several types of marbles: lapis lazuli, agate, ancient green, alabaster, Carrara marble, amethyst, purple porphyry, black-white of France, ancient breccia, diaspora, jalde and others. 

In addition to the marble, the mosaic and the golden bronze were used. The central frame and the two sides, as well as the floor, are in mosaic, artwork of great perfection. 

The central picture represents the "Baptism of Christ," and the sides, "Pentecost" (on the left) and the "Annunciation" (on the right). The model paintings of the three paintings are by Agostino Massucci, and their execution, in mosaic, was the work of Mattia Moretti. Enrico Enuo was the author of the pavement mosaic. 

The outer arch of the chapel is surmounted by the Portuguese Royal Arms. The gates and the doors in gold bronze bear the monogram of Dom João V. 

The chapel was established by Francesco Feliziani and Paolo Riccoli, and the final assembly of the mosaics "Baptism of Christ" and "Pentecost", in August 1752, after the death of D. João V, which occurred on July 31, 1750.

i-VcHvdbg-X2.jpg

i-3dck45V-X4.jpg

i-7QVcJTw-X2.jpg

i-VNBxNvK-X2.jpg

Chapel of the Most Holy Sacrament

The Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament was founded in 1636 by Luiza Frois, benefactor of the Jesuit College of Santo Antão and Casa Professa de S. Roque. Originally dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption. Its decoration dates back to the second half of the 19th century. XVII, beginning of the century XVIII. 

To the center of the altarpiece is an image representing Our Lady of the Assumption, of great Baroque expression. 

The gilded carving is from the period before the "national baroque", called "protobarroco", characterized by a notorious ornamental containment. 

Part of the side walls are lined with marbles embedded, of Italian influence, work of pedraria that was completed in 1719. 

On the side walls are two paintings by Bento Coelho da Silveira, from the mid-17th century, related to the Marian theme of the chapel, respectively: "The death of the Virgin (on the right) and the" Assumption and Coronation of the Virgin "( left). 

the porch in iron, refined revivalist feature, was commissioned by the Mercy of Lisbon in the nineteenth century. the chandelier in silver, the chapel's entrance, is a piece of jewelery Porto commissioned by the Mercy of Lisbon in 1877.

i-9hVcVpj-X2.jpg

i-cp4gqpt-X2.jpg

i-NWzqwKZ-X4.jpg

Outside of Saint Roch, in the square, is a little cafe area.  These are all over Lisbon in the town squares.  IMO, makes the city just that more special.

i-jwkgh2D-X4.jpg

Saint Roch is at the top of a hill and surrounded by many beautiful tiled buildings.  Here are some more shots from the area.

i-HqJt8TJ-X4.jpg

i-CVMfVrb-X4.jpg

i-V5ffDvK-X4.jpg

Next stop is the ruins of the church of the Carmo Convent.  This was a casualty of the 1755 earthquake.  It is an amazing site, especially as many of those arches remain intact.  

i-4fh4TL5-X4.jpg

i-W3CLh4g-X2.jpg

i-JcMCbC8-X4.jpg

i-9HDD95F-X2.jpg

i-3JjQBxS-X4.jpg

Upon leaving the ruins, behind it, there are a number of lookout points.  There is also the entrance to the top part of the Santa Justa lift.  

i-7jBVrkd-X4.jpg

i-tMjSGRF-X4.jpg

Right behind the Carmo ruins is Topo Chiado, a bar with amazing views.

i-qt7BcSq-X2.jpg

The bar is two levels, with additional seating on a third lower level (the lounge chairs).

i-nPX4G9h-X4.jpg

i-22krd6r-X2.jpg

i-MKH6GPP-X2.jpg

i-vJftvZs-X2.jpg

The view from Topo Chiado.

i-vhXVp3R-X2.jpg

After a drink or two, headed back down throught he streets.  Saw this beautiful storefront.  

i-LnjJr2k-X2.jpg

Saw the historic opera house.

i-vd4xXqd-X4.jpg

Then, across the square, is the Filigree Museum.  

i-sZCSxCJ-X4.jpg

Here is an example of Filigree on a Fado guitara.

fado-guitar-with-filigree.jpg

After that, headed back to the hotel and had a quiet night in.  Had to get everything packed up as I had a train to catch the next day around noon.  To be continued.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

So Day 4 started out with me trying to get all my packing finished and getting to the train station.  Traffic is Lisbon wasn't too terrible so got to the train station with a ton of time to kill.  There is actually an attached shopping center/business park to the train station, so I started walking around with my luggage looking for a place to eat.  Found the place that was full of locals and not travelers, so stopped there.  It was just a little cafe, but man, it was pretty tasty.

Went with some local wine in a jug and then the Francesinha (yes, I know it is more a Porto specialty, but since I was on my way..) which is a sandwich with , wet-cured hamsausage, and steak, then covered with melted cheese and a hot thick gravy generally served with fries.  Or as I like to call it, heart attack platter.  

i-ZZTZBgW-X4.jpg

i-C5WXMTR-X4.jpg

Did I mention it was topped with a fried egg?  It was good, but I could not finish it.  

Then it was time for the train journey.  It should have been just under 3 hours, but it took us 3.5. We also saw a lot of smoke once we were getting closer. Come to find out, the unseasonably warm and dry weather was causing some wildfires to break out already (hottest it got while I was there was 76, which was downright amazing).  

My train arrived at the further station, so I grabbed a cab to go to my AirBnB.  My cab dropped me off at the wrong place, so I had the fun of hauling two suitcases up a massive hill to my flat.  The lcoation was amazing, but SHIT, it was at the op of a hill which required me to go down just to go up again.  I went up and down SO many hills in three days it was amazing.  

Here are some of the amazing views off the back deck of the flat I rented.  I would not hesitate to stay there again.

i-8Zs9cGr-X4.jpg

i-zcKSkcn-X4.jpg

i-3xVqr2n-X4.jpg

Yes, those are houses, and yes they are missing their roofs and everything inside.  I walked by to see if they were for sale and saw nothing. I would love to buy someting like that and restore it.  I am seriously contemplating it.

i-jMPgSCd-X4.jpg

You can see all the cranes. There is a ton of investment going on in Porto.  It is exciting.

i-Df8MLxw-X4.jpg

i-69xwDDx-X4.jpg

i-5FDjTvZ-X4.jpg

i-jNHJKhF-X4.jpg

i-RhBR3hv-X4.jpg

i-RqD8sgj-X4.jpg

i-86s2hKV-X4.jpg

i-SxdFZB5-X4.jpg

Here is the front of the building that the flat I rented was in. I was on the top floor.  No elevator, but the stairs were really nice, so getting luggage up and down wasn't too bad.

i-WQNHXt5-X2.jpg

After I enjoyed the back terrace, which was quite large, I went down for dinner at Cantinho do Avillez, the first Avillez restaurant in Porto.  Also convenient since it was right around the corner.  In Portugal, they ask if you want the bread service.  It does cost, but you get bread, usually some butter or some sort of sauce, and then things like olives and other little snacks.

i-XMm6hvW-X4.jpg

I started with the octupus tartare and canned tuna (canned seafood is actually pretty damned tasty and is a great souvenir) with homemade mayonnaise.  This tuna actually made me want to find out where to buy some.  It was that good.

i-BcqDQDc-X4.jpg

i-ZKd8Srv-X4.jpg

Here is where all the food comes from.

i-bbDcw4N-X4.jpg

Main course was the Algarve red shrimp with thai sauce and jasmine rice.  I loved the red shrimp, but after this, I had reached my threshold on these tasty devils.  Of course, now that I am home, I wish I could get more.  Sigh.

i-G7GDrD6-X4.jpg

With all my courses, I went with a staff recommended red wine, which I absolutely loved.  I would love to find this in the US, but I doubt I can very easily.

i-kNzhGQs-X2.jpg

After dinner, I had some port (because I was in Porto and that is what you do).  

i-VXdqtn8-X2.jpg

i-pz7fCLX-X2.jpg

Finished off with the chocolate cake that is served with homemade strawberry ice cream.  It was so tasty and went well with the port.

i-TjrKXNW-X4.jpg

And that wraps up day 4.  Day 5 which is tooling around Porto and the Port Houses coming up next.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So day 5 began with coffee on the terrace and the views.  

i-GTs6Hd5-X4.jpg

Then I came down from my perch and started wandering around the city.

i-GRW8Pg6-X4.jpg

i-qrG4XP3-X4.jpg

The Sao Bento train station, which has some amazing tilework inside, which I will post later.

i-PHKSCmG-X4.jpg

Random building, but I love this building.

i-gkMV3K4-X4.jpg

Went to Manteigaria for some pasteis de nata and coffee.

i-kT5khj5-X4.jpg

When they talk about Pasteis de Nata, it is either Pasteis de Belem or Manteigaria that get mentioned.  These were damned good and that cappuccino was also tasty.  I love the practice of the shaved or powdered chocolate on top.

The historic Majestic Cafe.  Beautiful building.  Didn't have time to stop in.

i-xrFcPfV-X4.jpg

I loved the following buildings.

i-6vwfhGC-X4.jpg

i-PSLhcNF-X4.jpg

More of Day 5 to be continued shortly...

Ok, so Day 5 continued with a vist to the Church of Saint Ildefonso.  I did not go in, but it is the facade that is the star here.  

i-Q6jX7XM-X4.jpg

i-MMDv6LG-X2.jpg

Next, came up on a hospital and the Church of Treco. The outside is beautiful.  However, the streets are narrow and it was hard to get a good shot.

i-dThqcK8-X2.jpg

i-q6KFFJk-X2.jpg

i-Vc6VX6B-X2.jpg

The typical Porto street.

i-gFsb4Ww-X2.jpg

Here are some views back across the Douro River in Vila Nova de Gaia.  

i-dZ25Sbx-X4.jpg

i-FdfKCBb-X4.jpg

That bridge is the famous Ponte Luis I.  It was not built by Eiffel, but a disciple of his.  Once you cross, to the left is the Mosteiro da Serra do Pilar.  

i-V3jMZdQ-X4.jpg

Then I took the Gondola from the top to the riverside of Vile Nova de Gaia.

i-zWLhvMt-X4.jpg

At the bottom, back across the river.

i-cHcfQRr-X4.jpg

The Riverside area.

i-BPLKPJF-X4.jpg

You can see Porto Vasconcellos to the right right there.  And that was to be my first stop.  Port tasting coming up next.

Ok, so I stopped off at Porto Vasconcellos for a tasting.  This is a small port house.  They do not, I believe, import into the US.  

Did the vertical.  So started off with their 10 year white (no photo), then a 10, 20, 30, and 40 Tawny.

i-mQjQMM4-X4.jpg

i-4bjxxdc-X4.jpg

i-Xw8V3Rn-X2.jpg

That 40 year old tawny is something special.  I ordered 6 bottles and am happy to report, they showed up safe and sound this past Friday.

i-Frz8RGn-X4.jpg

After this, I headed up the hill to Taylor's.  Here is the view up, and the view back down.

i-GWKBbW7-X2.jpg

i-DL6zJ5k-X2.jpg

The Yeatman (where I almost stayed), is right across the road from Taylor's.  Seriously thinking next trip to stay a night or two here as well.

i-2GW2FhB-X4.jpg

And here is the main gate to Taylor's.

i-NhQntJV-X4.jpg

i-k8Xwd4x-X2.jpg

To be continued.

• Like 1

The Taylor's tour is really, really good and I highly recommend it when in Porto.  It gives you a great overview on how Port is actually made as well as the make up of the Douro Valley.

i-4mvRbM6-X4.jpg

i-j3jkwTx-X4.jpg

i-KS4Zh4q-X4.jpg

i-CNPsMTS-X4.jpg

The Taylor's tasting garden.

i-tNscbWc-X4.jpg

The tour comes with two tastes of port. A white and a young ruby.

i-JD4VRKc-X4.jpg

Then you can order snacks or additional ports.  I ordered the traditional Portuguese cheese plate (had not eaten lunch, so was very hungry).  All these cheeses were fantastic.

i-FmmWxxC-X4.jpg

Then I ordered two additional ports.  That late harvest from 1966 is something special.

i-MHjCtzW-X4.jpg

i-4M7Bw2N-X4.jpg

After I was finished, I was loaded down with a very heavy bottle and my phone was dying, so I grabbed an Uber back to my flat.

After putting everything away, I set off again to tool around Port some more, just walking around town.  Went up the hill to Porto Cathedral.  Got up close and personal with the seagull (there were a ton of them around Porto).

i-WgpKLkB-X2.jpg

i-SP6WHf6-X4.jpg

i-XDT5VxN-X4.jpg

This is the Diocese of Porto.  I absolutely loved the architecture in Porto.

i-zVjZ6tR-X4.jpg

i-ZkC3MRG-X4.jpg

More Porto to come.

• Hook 'Em 1

More sites from around Porto, including some cool street art, a street cat, and a little chapel below the Se.

i-fd4Rmnn-X2.jpg

i-km7C9Xr-X2.jpg

i-gNDKXfx-X2.jpg

The storefront for Claus Porto, which makes all natural soaps, lotions, and scents.  Definitely a great place to visit and something Porto is known for.  The store is located on the Rua das Flores, which in and of itself is a site.

i-296dQ9f-X2.jpg

i-tw6rpQ3-X4.jpg

i-n9PS4Wx-X4.jpg

The Bolsa Palace.

i-x5vvxqg-X4.jpg

Monument Church of St. Francis

i-RK6VkSj-X4.jpg

More sites in Porto to come.

• Like 1

After walking around the main part of Porto, started heading down to the riverside.  This is one of my favorite buildings in Porto.  I love the sparkling red tiles that cover the building.  However, this building is pretty much in disrepair.  Makes me wish I could buy this building and redo it.

i-r9LpJFz-X4.jpg

There is a very narrow street off to one side of this building.  This street takes you down to the river front.  On this street is the oldest house in Porto.

i-vwpG3Xd-X2.jpg

i-3FcXD7D-X2.jpg

A couple of doors down is a very old house with a door that dates from the Middle Ages.

i-gvcF264-X2.jpg

The street these houses are on is very old and very narrow.

i-QwGWwcF-X2.jpg

i-qZVmNsk-X2.jpg

Once you come to the end of this street, you are at the river.

i-GDm444s-X4.jpg

i-Kc5sgvQ-X4.jpg

i-g4fcSz3-X4.jpg

i-ckxVVBw-X4.jpg

Down below the building, is one of the original gates of the city walls.  There used to be 18, but it seems like there is only one left.  This one.

i-t7nDrMh-X2.jpg

i-WsFjfTC-X2.jpg

i-FZHg57R-X2.jpg

More sites along the river.

i-Xrbxcm8-X4.jpg

i-jjRjNQB-X4.jpg

i-W382Shq-X4.jpg

On the trek back up.

i-JDb8pR7-X2.jpg

i-bSfW93B-X2.jpg

i-9P396hs-X2.jpg

Dinner on Day 5 to come next.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dinner on Day 5 was at a little place around the corner from my AirBnB called La Maison Rouge 48.  Here are some photos of the outside during the day.

i-V54QpKv-X2.jpg

i-jQRRRGf-X4.jpg

The chef/owner/server (she has an assistant in the kitchen and the dining room, but basically she is the star) is Margarida, adn she is amazing.  She is fluent in English/French/Portuguese, and this turned out to be such a favorite of mine that I went two nights in a row.  Started out my meal with some white port.

i-srbcSrf-X2.jpg

Then went with the octopus.  This was absolutely great. The octopus was really fresh and oh so tasty.

i-MVRcSDL-X2.jpg

Then I went with this.  I was dying for green vegetables, and this was spinach topped with ham pressed with nuts and breadcrumbs and other goodness.  It was really simple, but very satisfying.

i-XGkCKKg-X4.jpg

Had some tasty red wine with this.  I wish I had gotten a picture of the bottle, but I neglected to.

i-dGrt9qW-X2.jpg

Then it was dessert time.  Margarida makes all her desserts.  She usually has 4 or 5 to choose from.  And you can usually ask for smaller servings of some.  One table asked for one of each of the 4 she had that night.  I only wanted to try two.  To go with those two, I ordered two different ports.  

i-VVDNz3m-X4.jpg

i-G3R6cmt-X4.jpg

So, for dessert, I had the orange cake and then this amazing confection on the right which had port soaked red fruits, cream, and some sort of cake.  So amazing.

i-rvnfmwr-X4.jpg

Here are some photos from the inside of the restaurant.  

i-vc3RJdq-X4.jpg

Day 6 and the day in the Douro to come.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i have never wanted to go to portugal before but you're doing a good job of selling it penelope.    where will you go next?

Portugal and the people there are amazing.  I highly recommend it.  

Heading back to Italy later this month.  Doing Milan and Venice.  Then in November, Budapest and Prague.

Ok, so Day 6 was going to be a day in the Douro.  I booked the experience through AirBnB, and it was amazing.  If you are in Porto, and want the info about it, I will send you the info.  ONe of the best I have ever had on any trip.

So walked down the hill from my flat to the São Bento train station.  

Here is a beautiful tiled building near the train station and the exterior of the train station itself.

i-LTt2sxR-X4.jpg

i-nG3sBRn-X4.jpg

The inside of the train station is covered in tiles.  If you want good photos, best time to go see it is early morning.  

i-KvmGFfB-X4.jpg

i-bXLJD76-X4.jpg

i-Cf4KCzz-X4.jpg

i-ZThgDHG-X4.jpg

As you come out of the Balhao metro station (FYI, the Porto metro is very nice and partially subterranean) is the Chapel of Souls.  This is possibly the most beautiful building I saw while in Portugal.

i-mDJpqwD-X4.jpg

i-mMCcDQ5-X2.jpg

i-h6HGSVc-X4.jpg

And now, the Douro Valley.

i-mF8jvbD-X4.jpg

i-V6RwffF-X4.jpg

Once we got to Pinhão, we went on a boat tour.  It was run by Douro Vintage Boats, and they are absolutely great.

Our Boat.

i-X5RdTd4-X4.jpg

Had some lovely snacks and glasses of port while on the boat.

i-5fGzsCC-X4.jpg

And here are the sites along the river from the boat tour.

i-tKD3zx5-X4.jpg

i-wjNvNgQ-X4.jpg

i-7Zk8hBR-X4.jpg

i-FcW4dZx-X4.jpg

i-jkrLFqR-X4.jpg

i-33gC555-X4.jpg

i-nQG7xMw-X4.jpg

i-BRrgBTV-X4.jpg

Here is Pinhão from the boat.

i-wLkC7nf-X4.jpg

i-F4Hc4Qx-X4.jpg

i-7Txjxpm-X4.jpg

This bridge, per our guides, was designed by Eiffel.  I have found that some of what is attributed to Eiffel in Portugal is not.  But still a cool bridge.

i-vLn7Ss3-X4.jpg

And here are our boat tour guides.  These guys were great.  Cannot recommend them enough!

i-xvKRX9L-X4.jpg

More Douro Valley to come.

• Like 1

After our boat trip, we loaded back up and headed to a fantastic look out point.  There was a van full of French folks enjoying a beer at the lookout point, and we all stopped and chatted with them.  Fun fact, the Douro is the oldest demarcated wine region in the world.  

Here are some of the views from the look out.

i-szKJV53-X4.jpg

i-dksBv8C-X4.jpg

We then headed back across the river and made our way to Tabuaço for lunch.  Here are more sites along the drive.

i-7XVXZJB-X4.jpg

i-HdgkBx9-X4.jpg

i-cDJ45GX-X4.jpg

Here is where we were going to lunch.

i-CNJtg5w-X4.jpg

It was packed and full of locals.  We had a very traditional lunch.  First, we started out with salad, cheese, and olives.  The salad was simple, but had local onions, which were very, very good.  Also, the olive oil was local.  

i-2t7sM5Z-X4.jpg

i-MWMqZmz-X2.jpg

i-L5hrQtx-X4.jpg

Oh yes, we had a lot of wine at lunch.  We had both whites and reds, and there were many refills.  The chef of this restaurant, who is originally Austrian, also came and sat with us for a bit.  He is a chef and also makes wine.  Here is our tour guide.  He and his family live in the Douro and have started doing this full time.  Again, I highly recommend his tour.  It also helped that our tour group (there were only 4 of us) was a great group to spend the day with.

i-2h8tJKN-X2.jpg

The first of the main courses was the traditional Portuguese cod (i.e. they catch the cod, then salt it to store it).  It is actually very, very tasty.  

i-dr56jnq-X4.jpg

i-jFBfrS5-X4.jpg

We had a second main of some beautiful steak, but I did not grab a picture of that.  More wine though.

i-whQWG9H-X4.jpg

Finally, we had port (no photos) and desser.

i-df2d8pv-X4.jpg

After a few more drinks, we haded back and were to head to Croft for more port.  Here are more sites around the valley.

i-FB5cJRH-X4.jpg

i-M3tS3QC-X4.jpg

Photos from Croft to come shortly...

Our tour continued at Croft's Quinta da Roêda.  In Portugal, the Quinta is the vineyard or farm.  Here are what are called the breasts of the Douro (seriously) which is wine storage.

i-3GzCL3g-X4.jpg

i-8r4sGq9-X4.jpg

One of the places where the workers stay during harvest.

i-pMk86tb-X4.jpg

There are two dogs that are on the property, Zig and Zag.  I do not remember which is which, but they were awesome.  We definitely spent a good 15 minutes at the end of the day petting the dogs.  Good dogs.

i-qdxJB5R-X4.jpg

i-cRTtpzW-X4.jpg

For the weather this day, it was sunny and around 72-75.  So PERFECT weather.  

This is an old olive press.

i-pk4RrGs-X4.jpg

And here are the vineyards of the Quinta.  They use lavender at the end of the rows to keep pests away.

i-Mn7mqzK-X4.jpg

i-xmsWfSB-X4.jpg

i-B98WVXQ-X4.jpg

We had a tour guide from Croft who was explaining things about the various vineyards and how they do things at this Quinta.

i-9CXNpjq-X4.jpg

Here are a few views looking back throught the Quinta and across the Douro.

i-c7CqJtB-X4.jpg

i-LTFShZS-X4.jpg

After harvest, if you visit this Quinta, Croft will allow visitors to stomp on the grapes, and then they can get a bottle of what they stomped.  Here is where that occurs. 

i-KbKD695-X4.jpg

After our tour, we had a lovely tasting on their tasting room terrace.  It was lovely.

i-m5hcx3Q-X4.jpg

i-Qt5WzZC-X4.jpg

i-RQLTqd4-X2.jpg

i-BK5zq8w-X2.jpg

More doggy shots.

i-7Zrknf2-X4.jpg

i-pLmjT5P-X4.jpg

So, that wraps up the Douro day.  My take of Port ended up being 6 bottles that I had shipped from Vasconcellos (2 10 yr White, 1 20 Tawny, 1 30 Tawny, 2 40 Tawny) and this haul, which I did bring back in my luggage.

i-fcsgpjF-X4.jpg

The two Croft boxes hold vintage port, from 2003 and 2016, which I have been assured are fantastic years.  They will be aging and perhaps one will be brought out when I turn 45 or 50.

Dinner on my last evening in Porto to come.

• Like 1

For dinner, I went back to La Maison Rouge 48.  

Started with some Port (as you do) with some traditional Portuguese sausage (so good).

i-GQqgqf8-X2.jpg

i-rLVBLwK-X4.jpg

Went with some white to go with my main, which was a seafood and rice dish.  The seafood was very, very good.  The gravy in this dish was wonderfully flavored.

i-wV6Lf3R-X2.jpg

i-CdJhMcj-X4.jpg

I valiently tried to finish, but I ate all the seafood out of it.  The shrimp and cod were standouts, but loved all the little mollusks as well.  

Went with two of the 5 desserts that night.

i-Lrk4NJp-X4.jpg

When I go back to Porto, I will definitely be back to visit Margarida at La Maison Rouge 48.  That wraps up Porto.  The next day, I hung around the house and repacked before heading to the train station early to catch my train.

Porto is really an amazing city, and I cannot wait to go back.

i-gjL8vDc-X4.jpg

Last day or two in Lisbon to come.

So, after three nights in Porto, came back to Lisbon for two more nights.  That first night, I ordered some Piri Piri chicken in and rested.  

However, had a great view from my AirBnB.

i-QZhhx6X-X4.jpg

i-LnHwJfz-X4.jpg

i-jZNWsQP-X4.jpg

i-ZH8ZQDF-X4.jpg

i-6rd8tBd-X4.jpg

Woke up on my last full day in Lisbon and headed early to Manteigaria.

i-XcTSMHb-X4.jpg

i-8WV8f87-X4.jpg

i-ggGXQPx-X4.jpg

i-nJd2vqG-X4.jpg

i-FbwrCXB-X4.jpg

The Baixa Chiado station.  It is a good place to cut through as it has all sorts of escalators.

i-2kCrRVX-X4.jpg

Some more sites around Lisbon.

i-5GWN8p9-X2.jpg

i-4RtJzmX-X4.jpg

Finally decided to take the 28 Tram.  

i-jN5gsrD-X2.jpg

i-qsS7S2V-X4.jpg

Got off the tram, and wandered around Alfama.

i-ctkZQRR-X4.jpg

i-FSD2J4h-X4.jpg

i-gJCXVjV-X4.jpg

i-FVfMKC8-X4.jpg

i-hDqvXjN-X2.jpg

i-F57pdW5-X4.jpg

i-dPBHjVc-X2.jpg

i-bS47RkX-X4.jpg

i-Bv4z99r-X4.jpg

While wandering around, stopped in a gourmet shop and had some Ginjinha.  I seriously love this stuff.

i-BBqtBft-X4.jpg

i-KqGth6P-X4.jpg

i-Njwt9P6-X2.jpg

And finally, the mosaic of Amalia Rodrigues.

i-qkVjGGg-X4.jpg

Tuk Tuk tour and amazing views of Lisbon to come.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

So, was supposed to fly to Milan today. If you read the dog thread in Bada Bing, you know my old girl Abby isn't feeling well. As a result, I've cancelled this trip to try and help her pull through. Obviously, I'm disappointed, but I'd be devastated if I wasn't here for Abby and the worst were to happen. Keep Abby in your thoughts.ae2cb8e21b5171ac8e120d440e1878fd.jpg3cd24673e39f7beb60fcc519892bf733.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to keep the sadness out of this thread, but we had to say goodbye to Abby last Friday (update is in the Dog thread in Bada Bing).  We are trying to reschedule the Italy trip, so we are looking at doing Rome and Venice now (rather than Milan - I will do Milan solo on a later trip when I want to do some shopping).  We are probably moving this one to the last two weeks of March, which means my Spain at Easter trip will get pushed back a year.  

Tentative plan is the trip is my mom and I.  We will fly in and out of Rome.  Spend 3 nights in Rome, then 7 nights in Venice (we want to make Venice our base so we can go see Verona and the wine areas as well as the other Venetian islands), then 3 more nights in Rome.  That gives us lots of time to tick things off, but also take our time and just wander.

Then I am thinking Greek Islands in September 2020.  Other than Milos, no idea where else.  Probably want to fit in two islands.  Might do Crete and Milos.  Not sure yet.

I am loving your trip report,  you have a wonderful writing style that pairs perfectly with your great photos.  As I am going to Lisbon and Porto in July this has been very informative for my upcoming trip. I am interested in the Douro tour you took as it looked like it encompassed a lot of things and not just the vineyards. I am going with someone that does not drink so this could be a good option. I already have reservations for Cervejaria Ramiro, so i can avoid the long lines. I also have reservations for Casa de Chá da Boa Nova, which is about 30 minutes outside of Porto. Not sure if you are familiar with this place. So sorry to hear about Abby’s passing.

2 hours ago, Raw60 said:

I am loving your trip report,  you have a wonderful writing style that pairs perfectly with your great photos.  As I am going to Lisbon and Porto in July this has been very informative for my upcoming trip. I am interested in the Douro tour you took as it looked like it encompassed a lot of things and not just the vineyards. I am going with someone that does not drink so this could be a good option. I already have reservations for Cervejaria Ramiro, so i can avoid the long lines. I also have reservations for Casa de Chá da Boa Nova, which is about 30 minutes outside of Porto. Not sure if you are familiar with this place. So sorry to hear about Abby’s passing.

Thank you for your condolences.  We are getting by.  I find that planning trips is somewhat therapeutic, and since it is something I enjoy, it helps me.  Very therapeutic. 

The tour I took is one that is available on AirBnB.  I have found that the experiences I have done through there have been top notch.  Here is the link to the Douro Valley tour.  It was amazing.  https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/181572

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, I have been crazy busy because as usual, life waits for no woman.  However, here is my final post regarding Lisbon.

After wandering around Alfama, I went and did a "Tuk Tuk" tour of Lisbon.  I highly recommend one of these when you first get to Lisbon.  It allows you to see more of the city very quickly.

Here is the vehicle for our tour.  I love these little things.

i-v4MjF3f-X2.jpg

First, here is one of the oldest bookstores in Lisbon, Livraria Bertrand.

i-P2vQfF3-X2.jpg

i-XTwzQCC-X4.jpg

Next, here is another one of the cafe areas that litter the squares of Lisbon.

i-VD2K8CW-X4.jpg

Facade of a beautiful tiled building in Lisbon.

i-JgwgrpF-X4.jpg

Next, we stopped for refreshment (I got a porto tonico, everyone else got hot chocolate or coffee) and the amazing views at Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara.

i-PWsB4Tw-X4.jpg

i-LTpD6t9-X4.jpg

Next, we headed down to the political quarter and saw the Portuguese Parliament building.

i-fZsG4fp-X4.jpg

Then we headed over to Alfama.  On the way there, we saw Palacete Chafariz D'El Rei, which is a hotel.  It is built in Neo-Moorish style.  It definitely stood out, and when I return to Lisbon, I will seriously think about staying there.

i-Tg45CW3-X4.jpg

Next it was up to another lookout spot and the Capela de Nossa Senhora do Monte at Miradouro da Nossa Senhora do Monte.

i-zb4758F-X4.jpg

i-mNCxPjn-X2.jpg

And the views...

i-79jKSpv-X4.jpg

i-w2GVZb7-X4.jpg

While up here, we had Ginjinha and took some great photos.  

Then it was back down the hill.  Here is the Igreja de São Vicente de Fora.

i-C9xwCJc-X2.jpg

The short two story house is one of the oldest in Lisbon, if not the oldest.

i-MfFcZLj-X4.jpg

And then finally, Lisbon Cathedral. 

i-Jh8qKrR-X2.jpg

All that is left now is one more meal and some shots from my balcony.  

So lunch was to be a late lunch at Prado.  Prado is right on the border of Alfama.  

Asked my server to help me with her recommendations, and so went with some of her recommendations. Started with the Wheat Bread with Fresh goat butter, smoked salt and sea lettuce and Beaten black pork fat, garlic and bay.

i-2RCzmHm-X4.jpg

Next, was the tartar taco (offical name...Tartar de Barrosã and grilled Galician cabbage)

i-q6HvkQT-X4.jpg

This was absolutely amazing.  I loved it.  If you go here, GET THIS.  I think they keep this on the menu no matter the season.

For wine, I went with Vinho Verde and stuck with it.

i-JwVPP9b-X4.jpg

Next, white asparagus.  I cannot recall the particulars of the sauce, but I seem to remember it was a lemon and wine sauce. I do remember it was very good, and I used bread to sop it up.  Waste not, want not.

i-Pnn9Gjv-X4.jpg

Next, this was a local fish in, a cream sauce (I seem to think it might have been chestnut, but I cannot recall and I did not write it down) with mushrooms.  This was absolutely fantastic.  

i-kv8H7CR-X4.jpg

And for dessert, I went with their version of coffee panna cotta.  Honestly, this was probably the least favorite thing I had my entire trip, which was disappointing.  However, everything else at Prado was amazing, so I will forgive them the dessert.

i-T9PW7wX-X4.jpg

The inside of Prado is amazing.  Here is the back bit of the restaurant.

i-xXJMMgS-X4.jpg

Finally, a few more shots while going to pick up my dad's Portuguese guitar.

i-cX8WfwG-X4.jpg

i-Vrx5DZf-X4.jpg

i-XR6ncKL-X4.jpg

Here are some sunset views from my apartment.

i-h3PTDNS-X4.jpg

i-qbxNphp-X4.jpg

i-r5sxLxQ-X4.jpg

And that is it!  It was a great trip.  Will definitely go back to Lisbon and Porto at some point.

Ok, so a few weekends ago, I was in NYC.  It was a quick trip and last minute, but I tried to make the most of it.  

Friday was dinner at Frenchette.  I went early, around 7, and hoped for a seat at the bar after a short wait.  Lo and behold, there was no wait.  There was an empty seat with my name on it.

i-PTR5P9h-X4.jpg

Started out with a cocktail while I looked at the menu.  Went with the Frenchette Swizzle.  It is rum, armagnac, peach, falernum, pineapple, absinthe.

i-3BrbbQf-X2.jpg

The bar at Frenchette.

i-jwSFXNS-X4.jpg

To go with dinner, went with this bottle.  It is from Jura.

i-h9PDQ9V-X4.jpg

For my first course, I went with the white asparagus with sorrel, champignon de Paris, and bottarga.  So, so good.

i-6sgmgc4-X4.jpg

Then, for my main, Lapin a la Moutarde.  This was fantastic.  If you are Frenchette this summer though, I do not think it is currently on the menu.

i-wzKbx9F-X4.jpg

For dessert, went with Tarte aux apricots.  It came with camomile ice cream and whipped ricotta.  It was very, very, very good.  Not too sweet, which is very good. 

i-DH7hCFg-X2.jpg

Next, the gentlemen next to me had the pistachio Paris Brest, which I had recommended to them (I was going to get that, but I was too full).  It was too much for the two of them, so they asked if I would like to try it.  I did.  It was good.

i-C4XdKCT-X2.jpg

Next, went with a Pineau de Charentes Rose cocktail, which was just the Pineau and really good tonic.  This was great as an after dinner drink.  I want bottles of this particular Pineau.

i-xSbvjXh-X2.jpg

i-6JZg82s-X2.jpg

Finally, ended the night with a Vesper.

i-rvG3LBK-X2.jpg

Really enjoyed my night at Frenchette.  If you live in NYC, this could easily become a regular haunt.  After my vesper, I grabbed an Uber (no cabs were coming by at the time), and headed back to my hotel.  Next day in NYC to come.

So, I slept in Saturday morning.  By the way, stayed at the Moxy in downtown.  It is relatively minimalist from a decor perspective, but very comfortable, so I recommend it as you can usually get a pretty decent deal there.

When I finally woke up, I decided to go grab "brunch" at Nom Wah Tea Parlor.  On my walk there, I passed by City Hall, which was all decked out for Pride.

i-Pj7cHjL-X4.jpg

Yes, it was an absolutely gorgeous day.

Chinatown. 

i-rSP4WDL-X2.jpg

Got to Nom Wah, and of course there was a wait, but it wasn't too bad.  Being a table of 1 means you sometimes get seated a bit earlier.

i-j4SgRxm-X4.jpg

The thing I hate about solo at Nom Wah is that I cannot eat everything I order.  I only want a taste or two of everything, and always overorder.  Oh well, first world problems I suppose.

Ordered scallion pancakes, House special roast pork bun, pan-fried dumplings (cannot remember which ones, but they were both fantastic), the original "OG" egg roll, and some tea (I had had WAY too much to drink the night before).

i-95xg8Qp-X4.jpg

i-LVfrkBm-X4.jpg

i-Z8g3h8d-X4.jpg

i-jVHqwL9-X2.jpg

i-sZcS7nN-X2.jpg

The special pork bun and the dumplings were outstanding.  While I love scallion pancakes, these were just a tad too oily for my taste.  The OG is good, but I was already pretty full when they brought it out.  All in all, a good meal for an early afternoon after imbibing a bit too much.

I then walked around chinatown and nolita for a while.  One of my favorite blocks in NYC is the block of Elizabeth between Prince and Houston.  Once I got there, I popped into the Claus Porto store to grab some frangrances.  The inside of the store is amazing (all made of Portuguese cork).  Definitely worth a stop when you are in NYC.

i-PZb77fB-X4.jpg

i-wvD9HsM-X4.jpg

Down the street is Sezane, another of my favorites.  For those in NYC, take your spouse shopping and enjoy the scenery.

i-ccWjhhg-X4.jpg

There are a lot of other really cool and pretty unique shops (for NYC) on this block.  Seriously, a good place to spend some time.

Cool building with gold acrobat figures.  

i-KqLRt2R-X2.jpg

Decided to take a cocktail break at Atla.  Had a Que Sabor! which is Pisco 100, Nuestra Soledad San Baltazar, Pina, Passion Fruit, and Canela.  It was really good.

i-zK9Lwch-X2.jpg

i-KtZ3GJF-X2.jpg

When I was there, I published to my website.  For those that care, that is www.mlleshetravels.com.  I am working on two or three posts right now as I do this (and laundry, so glamorous), the first of which should post tonight.

i-QXwP8nS-X4.jpg

Then I needed coffee and a sweet snack.  Across the street is Lafayette.  So I popposed in for some caffeine.

i-G5q3W3Q-X4.jpg

i-HBtvVkd-X2.jpg

More NYC to come...

• Like 2

I had a super late dinner reservation for Le Coucou, so I wanted to pop in to Excuse my French for a few cocktails, and maybe a snack as I had heard that their food was actually quite good.  

i-kc8mpnh-X2.jpg

i-RjzgsFh-X2.jpg

i-HV8CZBP-X2.jpg

Ordered a Tantalus.

i-8tXNppT-X4.jpg

i-3w8SwPt-X2.jpg

I really enjoyed this cocktail.  

Ordered a cheese plate and some foie gras pops.  The cheese plate comes with two cheeses.  Picked Ossau Iraty and roquefort.  It was much more than I had anticipated, especially given how big the foie gras pops were (massive!).  

i-VD42v9J-X4.jpg

i-MzXwRxM-X4.jpg

The food was really good, but I did not finish as if I had, there would have been no way I would have been hungry for Le Coucou.  

I did have a second cocktail, which was a Lavender "Kir" Royale.  They are known for their "Kir" Royales.  I want to go back just to try some of these.

i-ShLfxJK-X2.jpg

I schlepped back to the hotel and decided to have a nap since dinner was so, so late.  More to come.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 2:13 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Cool building with gold acrobat figures.  

i-KqLRt2R-X2.jpg

Just an interesting factoid, the 5th floor of that building used to be Robert Mapplethorpe's studio. 

I've since been dragged to the west village by my wife, but I used to live on mott between prince and houston. Agree those are a great couple of blocks to wander around.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Headed to Copenhagen tomorrow for work. On the waitlist for Noma, but doubt I get in. However, also going the first week in December and have a table at Geranium. Fun times.

We had an AMAZING tasting menu at Brace. No star...and a lot of folks expect it to get one. You can get in, and have an incredible three hour dinner.

b902fa5afa99aa50a76d9862ef0a065e.jpg

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We had an AMAZING tasting menu at Brace. No star...and a lot of folks expect it to get one. You can get in, and have an incredible three hour dinner.

b902fa5afa99aa50a76d9862ef0a065e.jpg

I have it on my list.  Tonight is the first night I have had to do anything (moving and new job) and I leave tomorrow.  Sigh.  I got the idea from your report FYI.  Also going to stop by the Tivoli foodhall.  

• Like 1

Ended up sleeping after my flight and woke up around 7. By the time I got showered and out of the hotel, I decided to go to Hika de Sanchez for tacos. I know, but these are really good Mexico City style tacos. And the beer was cold and good.

The other advantage is a 5 minute walk away is Mikkeller, where I am currently perched on a bar stool at the bar enjoying a Mikkeller Vesterbro Farmhouse which is an Oak Aged Saison.

I figure I'll try 4 or 5 more beers, and then head back to John's for my late night snack.ebaf2375a7b4e0590479b57fc856b3aa.jpg60dc813755f115781a7cfdb856110826.jpg34ea199484c080c786a01b6352a32a06.jpgf345268bb7c61f5a1ade38721cc63586.jpg

• Like 1