The Marquise Goodwin thread

Goo Punch

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yes it was. I cannot either. Yes they do.

Wishing a happy future for the lovely family.

What a great person.  It’s a shame people tend to always focus on negative shit and don’t focus on the good.  Marquise sets a great example for all of us.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 2011 Texas-ou game was on LHN the other day and I was reminded of what made Marquise so unique. He was a speedster with hands. Dude made a sideline catch on a ball he came back for, laid himself out, shifted his hand under the nose of the football, and dragged a toe. It was awesome. F the haters.

The amount of players supporting Jackson's overtly antisemitic post is really disturbing. I know its not actually a Hitler quote, its just a quote from a guy who said "Here the Jews don't like Farrakhan and so they call me 'Hitler'. Well that's a good name. Hitler was a very great man."

Marquise is my favorite player from the lost era. This is really disappointing 

12 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:

The amount of players supporting Jackson's overtly antisemitic post is really disturbing. I know its not actually a Hitler quote, its just a quote from a guy who said "Here the Jews don't like Farrakhan and so they call me 'Hitler'. Well that's a good name. Hitler was a very great man."

Marquise is my favorite player from the lost era. This is really disappointing 

IF all he wrote on the page was what is in his post, then you are pretty fucking sensitive and not thinking clearly.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, achooloco said:

IF all he wrote on the page was what is in his post, then you are pretty fucking sensitive and not thinking clearly.

Nah its not. Marquise stated full support for a blatantly racist statement in a different comment from a Nation of Islam leader. He's supporting the idea that the Jews are an evil cabal working to keep down black people as part of their plan for world domination. I don't think I'm over reacting by saying I find that disappointing. You never know the weird shit celebrities believe but I'm still surprised by shit like this. Nation of Islam has deep ties to legitimate old school Nazism, they are rightfully classified as a hate group. A bunch of NBA and NFL players are coming out in support of this.

I'll explain the other comment. People are mad at Goodwin's BLM comment because it's in response to people criticizing antisemitism. He is trying to downplay the problem of antisemitism, saying they should ignore antisemitism to focus on BLM. That's basically the same as others responding to BLM by saying All Lives Matter. Something Goodwin is against. It comes off as hypocritical.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here but this is what I'm seeing.

Edited by Gigglebush

What a mess.   Black people of good will would be wise to avoid anything Farrakhan.  I think there's a deluded notion that he's right up there with MLK and Malcolm X and whatnot.

Marquis would probably do well to distance himself from Jackson's social media.  By most accounts, Jackson is an idiot and Marquis is not.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:

Okay I did get it slightly wrong. Goodwin got involved in this by supporting Jackson's non apology that doubled down on the anti-semitism. Maybe (hopefully) he misunderstood what Jackson was saying?

Where is the other support? All I'm seeing is his BLM comment. Not saying he didn't support the non-apology, just can't see/find it to read it myself, any link would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, achooloco said:

Where is the other support? All I'm seeing is his BLM comment. Not saying he didn't support the non-apology, just can't see/find it to read it myself, any link would be appreciated. 

He commented 💯💯 on Stephen Jackson's controversial IG post. Which I'm assuming means he agrees with/supports it in some form or fashion.

I wish all entertainers and athletes would let politicians do all the talking for them, they're paid to say stupid shit. I know, freedom of speech, but it's a turn off for too many fans. I'm tired of so and so said this, so let's boycott the NFL, or I'm never watching another movie that jackass makes. Why alienate half the fan base especially when their opinion probably won't change any minds. I think it was Elvis Presley that a reporter tried to catch on a political question back in the early 70s. She asked him what he thought about war protesters and what should be done. He said something like, I'm just an entertainer and I'd prefer to keep my opinion to myself. She followed up with do you think other entertainers should keep their opinions to themselves also? He had a one word answer, NO! Next question. I'm guessing it was around the time Jane Fonda went to Hanoi. Bringing up Elvis and Jane, yeah I'm old.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Marquise can say whatever the fuck he wants. 

1. He is a longhorn 

2. He is an Olympian 

3. He is a bad ass motherfucker 

his comment was “I wish there was this much talk on the BLM threads”

No one is disputing anyone can pretty much say whatever they want, but it's wise to stop and think SHOULD I say whatever I'm thinking in the heat of the moment. One thing I truly believe is everyone should be held to the same standards no matter what race or gender you happen to be. If that's all Marquise said then I agree, he really didn't say anything wrong. I will say I've seen a lot more written about BLM than what Jackson said, so I'm not sure where Marquis is coming from.

17 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Marquise can say whatever the fuck he wants. 
1. He is a longhorn 

2. He is an Olympian 

3. He is a bad ass motherfucker 
his comment was “I wish there was this much talk on the BLM threads”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I loved Wane McGarity. I loved BJ Johnson. But, Marquise Goodwin is probably my favorite WR Horn. Roy, Sloan, Cosby, Shipley, etc..., etc... to many to list that may or may not have more highlights, but he was just so fun to watch and beat people. If he had a step, the defender could not make up any ground. Fast, reliable, and a badass human being. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2021 at 2:31 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

It's sad to say but, every time I see this thread get bumped I wonder what tragedy has befallen his family now. Thank God nothing at this point.

Good news.  MG back for Olympic qualifying. https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/japan-2020/current-former-longhorns-vying-for-olympic-berths-at-us-track-and-field-olympic-trials/

Marquise Goodwin is hoping to return to the world stage. The former two-sport star at Texas is a current receiver for the Chicago Bears. He’s looking for a return the Olympics after winning the 2012 Olympic Trials in the long jump.

Long jump qualifying starts next Friday, with finals on Sunday.  https://www.usatf.org/events/2021/2020-u-s-olympic-team-trials-track-field/schedule

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Hopefully this posts.

Marquise Goodwin will try to jumpstart NFL career in Chicago — a city that is special to WR

Chicago is where a doctor helped his wife after years of loss. And after opting out of the 2020 NFL season, the former Rowlett star is ready for football.

FILE - In this Jan. 11, 2020, file photo San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Marquise Goodwin warms up before an NFL divisional playoff football game against the Minnesota Vikings in Santa Clara, Calif. Goodwin, who signed with the Philadelphia Eagles this off season, is opting out of the 2020 season because of the coronavirus.
FILE - In this Jan. 11, 2020, file photo San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Marquise Goodwin warms up before an NFL divisional playoff football game against the Minnesota Vikings in Santa Clara, Calif. Goodwin, who signed with the Philadelphia Eagles this off season, is opting out of the 2020 season because of the coronavirus.(Tony Avelar / AP)

By Colleen Kane

12:13 PM on Jun 24, 2021

Marae Goodwin is going to be an athlete. Her parents are sure of it.

She has the DNA. Marquise Goodwin is an Olympic long jumper and seven-year NFL wide receiver out of Texas who drew attention at Chicago Bears minicamp last week with his breakaway speed. Morgan (Snow) Goodwin was a nine-time first-team All-American hurdler and sprinter at Texas.

She has the grooming. At 16 months old, Marae already is toddling around the track and football field while her dad trains.

And then there’s the physical evidence. Sitting up at 4 months. Standing unassisted by 6 months. Walking at 8 months. For the first year of Marae’s life, Marquise and Morgan were together to witness all of those early milestones.

“I got to see her every single day, every hour,” said Marquise, a state champion in long jump at Rowlett High School.

That’s not always the case for professional athletes.

But Marae was born Feb. 19, 2020, just weeks before the COVID-19 pandemic took hold in the United States. Two months later, the San Francisco 49ers traded Marquise to the Philadelphia Eagles in a draft-weekend trade. Three months after that, Marquise announced he would be opting out of the season.

More than 60 players opted out of the 2020 NFL season, some with conditions that put them at high risk if they contracted COVID-19, others with concerns about the health of their families. Marquise was in the latter category.

He and Morgan already had suffered too much loss. Marae is their rainbow baby, born after Morgan and Marquise lost three sons born prematurely. Marquise would not chance bringing more suffering into their home.

“I didn’t want to run the risk of catching the virus and then coming home and bringing it to our newborn and then Morgan,” Marquise said. “But especially the baby, especially after we’ve already lost three kids.

“I couldn’t be selfish and go out there and play the game that I love to play and played since I was 9 years old. I had to make the decision for my family, and I feel like as a man, those vows that I spoke on Feb. 12, 2016, one day I knew I would have to honor those words.”

Now, after more than a year of huddling together in their Dallas home, Marquise is back on an NFL field, trying to win a spot in the Bears wide receivers room. Doing it in Chicago — where Morgan had a surgery that made it possible to carry Marae to full term — feels like it’s meant to be.

Their beginning

The Goodwin’s story began at a track meet, naturally.

Marquise was a junior at Texas when a competitor from LSU asked him if he had a sister on the team.

“There’s a girl that looks just like you,” he told Marquise.

Marquise had to find out who she was, and after a teammate connected the Texas freshman with him, he sent this introductory text: “What’s good? I’m Marquise. Nice to meet you. Who is your dad?”

“I couldn’t believe he asked who my father is,” Morgan said.

Morgan assured Marquise, a Texas native, that her father was in Georgia, and a text relationship began, followed by a friendship, followed by a supportive bond.

Marquise was attracted to Morgan’s looks but also her focus and commitment to school. Morgan was drawn to Marquise’s persistence, consistency and drive.

“And she just fell in love with me,” Marquise said.

“No, he fell in love with me,” Morgan said. “I had the Georgia peach going on.”

They were engaged after two years and married after four. They don’t like to be apart.

“People would get annoyed by us because they’re like, ‘Man, that ain’t real. They’re always together.’” Marquise said.

Kids were a part of the plan from the start. They just didn’t know how difficult that path would be.

Their losses

The video clip from the Nov. 12, 2017, game between the 49ers and New York Giants is heart-wrenching.

After streaking past Giants cornerback Janoris Jenkins to score an 83-yard touchdown, Marquise blew a kiss to the sky, knelt in the end zone and then collapsed face-first to the turf in exhaustion and grief while his teammates surrounded him.

November 12th, 2017

Just hours after tragedy struck the Goodwin family, @marquisegoodwin did this.

It was his 1st touchdown of the season and the #49ers first win of the year. 🙏 pic.twitter.com/ULtySwt5C9
— San Francisco 49ers (@49ers) November 12, 2018

Goodwin’s first touchdown of the season sparked the 49ers’ first win. It came just hours after his first son died.

At a 19-week appointment, doctors told Morgan she had a short cervix and gave her a 50% chance of delivering early. Doctors gave her a stitch in the cervix to help her carry the baby longer, but it had to be removed a couple of days later when she started leaking amniotic fluid. She went home on bed rest the night before the Giants game, and Marquise chose to stay with her rather than at the team hotel. She asked him to come into the bathroom with her because she was scared, and that’s when they realized the amniotic sac was coming out.

At the hospital, doctors told Morgan she was at risk for infection or serious complications if she didn’t deliver early. As they waited, they opened an envelope they had been saving for a gender reveal. Marquise burst into tears when he read it was a boy, and they   laid in bed together crying.

At 3:52 a.m., Morgan delivered Baby Goodwin, and they held the son they lost in their arms. Marquise, who hadn’t slept or eaten, was expected at the 49ers game just hours later.

“I was like, ‘Man, I’m not playing. I’m going to just stay here with you. They’re going to have to understand it, end of story,’” Marquise said. “Morgan was like, ‘I think you should go.’ She convinced me to go. She convinced me that our now son would be watching over us, and if he was alive he would want me to go.”

Morgan knew she wanted to get pregnant again right away, and she had a laparoscopic transabdominal cerclage (TAC) to help support a pregnancy. She became pregnant with twin boys, but things took a turn for the worse again at 19 weeks when one of the amniotic sacs funneled through the TAC. Baby A’s sac ruptured during contractions, and she needed to have surgery to remove the TAC so she could deliver him prematurely to avoid infection.

Marquise had traveled with the 49ers to Tampa, Fla., for a game when Morgan called him from the hospital, and he got right back on a plane to be with her.

During the surgery, Baby B’s sac also ruptured, and they ended up losing both boys.

“I was so upset and so mad and pissed and just so hurt because I did everything I was supposed to do so this wouldn’t happen again, and it happened again — my worst nightmare, the thing that I feared the most,” Morgan said. “The only thing that made it better was my husband being there and us praying. Him just being there for me, he was everything I needed at that moment.”

Marquise and Morgan didn’t let their grief stop them from trying again, and a few months later, they traveled to Chicago for a surgery that offered a new hope.

Their hope

Each year, the transabdominal cerclage program at the University of Chicago Medicine helps between 200-250 women who have cervical insufficiency.

Dr. Arthur Haney brought the program to prominence by helping thousands of women have babies after pregnancy losses. He made a 2-inch incision above the pubic bone and placed strong synthetic bands that look like flat shoelaces around the cervix to support up to 100 pounds of weight. He touted a 99% success rate among his patients.

In March 2019, Morgan and Marquise traveled to Chicago for the first time outside of football travel, and Haney did the surgery that set the stage for Morgan’s pregnancy with Marae.

Whenever Morgan became nervous — and she was stressed out enough at 19 weeks that her doctor prescribed bed rest for a week — she would email Haney, and he would respond quickly with reassurance. After 23 weeks, she felt relief that the pregnancy was more viable.

When Morgan went to the hospital for her caesarean section, Marquise accompanied her — with the duty to announce the sex of the baby. Marquise was in joyful disbelief that it was a girl but also that it was just finally happening.

“People think I’m tough,” Marquise said. “You’re a warrior.”

They named her Marae because it was unique and they read something that said a woman named Marae would project confidence when she walked into a room.

It fits. She’s smart and feisty. A girl with “personality,” they said in unison.

And after more than a year at home with her mom and dad, she’s getting an introduction to the sports life they temporarily put on hold.

Their future

Among the highlights of the first day of Bears veteran minicamp at Halas Hall last week was Marquise bolting past defensive back Xavier Crawford to catch a deep ball from quarterback Andy Dalton.

Marquise said it was “crazy weird” to be away from Morgan and Marae for a few days, but it was good to be back on the football field. He didn’t watch much football during his year off.

But he still trained.

Staying in shape was a part of his routine as he looks to stay healthy and be a contributing part of a winning team this season. He had 56 catches for 962 yards and two touchdowns in his best season in 2017 for the 49ers. But that dropped to 23 catches for 395 yards and four touchdowns in 11 games in 2018 and 12 catches for 186 yards in nine games in 2019, when he ended the season on injured reserve and didn’t play in the 49ers’ Super Bowl loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Coach Matt Nagy was impressed with the condition Goodwin was in when he showed up for the offseason program.

Nagy said they were joking about how players with 10 years of experience still have their college 40-yard dash times listed in their scouting data. Goodwin told Nagy, “Coach, I’m faster now than I was when I came out.”

“Anytime you have an Olympic mentality you are different,” Nagy said. “That’s a minute-by-minute, hour-by-hour regime that you are keeping your body in shape. … For him, that’s never going to change.”

Marquise said when he signed a one-year deal with the Bears in April coaches embraced his desire to go to another Olympic trials in the long jump. He was on the 2012 Olympic team in the event and just missed a spot on the 2016 team.

He qualified for this week’s Olympic trials with a jump of 8.12 meters in the spring and plans to compete in the preliminaries in Eugene, Ore., on Friday.

“My chances are always high because you never know what could happen on that day,” he said.

What happens next — with the Olympics and the Bears — remains to be seen. But Morgan and Marae will be in Eugene this weekend, and they’ll likely be at Soldier Field if Marquise plays in the Bears’ first preseason game in August.

It would be Marae’s first football game, and that truly would be something special.

“Everything started in Chicago with her,” Marquise said. “It’s divine.”

5/10/08-- UIL Track & Field -- Garland Rowlett's Marquise Goodwin came in 2nd in the Boys 5A 100 meter dash in the UIL Track & Field State Championships at the Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin,  Texas.  Saturday May 10,  2008. 06102008xSports
HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS

Flashback: Before Marquise Goodwin burned defenders in the NFL, he blew people away on the track for Rowlett

Flashback: Before Marquise Goodwin burned defenders in the NFL, he blew people away on the track for Rowlett

Find more high school sports coverage from The Dallas Morning News here.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...