The Marquise Goodwin thread

Goo Punch

The new house for his mother and sister, who suffers from cerebral palsy, might be his best moment of 2018 yet.

“How I look at it, every time I wake up in the morning, a lot of people complain about the situations that they’re in,” Goodwin told ESPN in 2013. “We have practice this morning or we have weights [to lift]. How I look at it is what a good opportunity I have, because my sister, she hasn’t been able to walk or do anything physically for herself, really. So for me to have an opportunity to come out here and do sports and be able to just wake up and go look at myself in the mirror every morning, I realize that I’ve been blessed in my life and that I’m blessed with an opportunity to be able to do things for myself. She lives through me, because she’s never been able to do anything like that. We live vicariously through each other.”

Dude has been through some shit the last year. I'm glad the 49ers rewarded him this offseason, and look forward to seeing what he can do with Garappolo/Shanahan for a full season. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/7/27/17623292/marquise-goodwin-explains-buying-his-mom-sister-a-house

Spoiler

Over the summer, San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Marquise Goodwin ended up in the news for all the right reasons. In early July, he posted some video to Instagram showing him surprising his mom and sister with a new house. Naturally his mom and sister were stunned and emotional when he took their blindfolds off.

Goodwin met with 49ers media on Friday following practice, and he was asked about the decision and what it was like when he unveiled the home to them. Goodwin offered up a fantastic response.

"Surprising my mom and sister with a house was the biggest thing to date that I’ve done in my life, besides getting married to my best friend. It’s something that I’ve always dreamt about. I’ve got chills on my arms because it’s real. Growing up, young African American, impoverished, not really having the same opportunities as some of my teammates, some of the guys I grew up with. But, growing up I always wanted to get my mom a house. Being on Section 8 housing, having to move each year, house to house, city to city, it’s like no stability.

"And so I wanted to just do something special for my mom that she would remember forever, and appreciate forever. And let her know that she had some sort of security. And a lot of people don’t know about that, but it’s hard out there for families, single parent homes, having to do for their kids. Having to depend on governmental funding, it can be tough at times. Being blessed enough to do that for my mom and my sister, it means the world to me."

The reporter followed up asking him what his mom has meant to him in his journey through life, and he offered up an equally emotional response.

"My momma meant the world to me in my journey. Without my mom I wouldn’t be here. The opportunities that I’ve had, I’m just blessed. And I think it’s because she was so hard on me growing up, and because we didn’t have much when I was growing up. We didn’t have the same opportunities, and so, that’s why I’m so humble like I am today, because I know what it’s like to have nothing. I know what it’s like to be rock bottom. I means scratch dropping the ball in a game, scratch missing a big block for a touchdown. I know what it’s like to not eat at night. I know what it’s like to see my mom go to the hospital because of domestic violence. That’s being at rock bottom for me. So, it’s humbling to be in this position to make this money, and to do for my family and the people that I care about like I do."

Goodwin had a breakout season last year, but it was also a rough one. He and his wife lost their unborn first child due to complications, and later his own father passed away. The idea of “battling through adversity” is an overused cliche in sports, which is a shame, because I can’t think of it being any more applicable than to Goodwin last season.

I can’t imagine any 49ers fan who is not a fan at this point, and from a fan perspective, he might be my favorite 49er at the moment. He broke through last year, and is in position to build on that this year after an offseason of work with Jimmy Garoppolo. I look forward to seeing what Goodwin does in his second year with the team.

• Like 3

I know it's not popular around these parts, but I was a fan of the 49ers as a kid (my dad was stationed in San Francisco after Vietnam and used to go to the games in old Kezar stadium, so it kind of rubbed off on me).  Marquise gives me a big reason to root for them again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had 2 free tickets to the Texans game tonight so I took my son. Marquis had two receptions for about 50 yards and two first downs in the first quarter so we cheered for him.

As an aside, two cheeseburgers with fries and two sodas were $41. You would think since the taxpayers picked up the cost of building their place of business they wouldn’t have to fuck their customers in the ass with no lube in order squeeze out what I’m sure must be a very small profit.

• Like 1

Had 2 free tickets to the Texans game tonight so I took my son. Marquis had two receptions for about 50 yards and two first downs in the first quarter so we cheered for him.

As an aside, two cheeseburgers with fries and two sodas were $41. You would think since the taxpayers picked up the cost of building their place of business they wouldn’t have to fuck their customers in the ass with no lube in order squeeze out what I’m sure must be a very small profit.

Yep. We spent $45 on Nachos and a burger. Hell, ice cream and popcorn was $15.

34 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Every bit of this is ridiculous. Those prices are insane. 

It is and I have no problem paying a premium for things I enjoy but when I can sit at home and watch the game with a better view, multiple angles and an explanation of what is going, no lines for a nasty bathroom and food and drink at reasonable prices.

That is why attendance is dragging, fuck going to games I gave my season tickets for all sports a few years ago and never looked back

5 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Marquise is poised for a big season this year. 

No question. He and Jimmy G have a connect. Marquis has always been fast but he’s become an excellent route runner too. He beat everyone the Texans put on him, and he beat them in different ways. 

Really excited for him this year. Also, fantasy sleeper city.

Thanks, It's always nice to have Mensa members on the board to point out the mistakes us low IQ people are making.  By the way internet message boards are full of us low IQ people bitching about stupid shit.  You can either accept it, point it out like the idiot you are, or move along somewhere else.  I suggest texaggy.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...