Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

PilotsError

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

From the episode, Eddie is pretty self-conscious. He seems like he needs to feel he is prepped and practiced before he does that, and that explains his SNL appearance.

Yeah it took him a bit to get warmed up. He said himself he would need to do some practice gigs before he went big stage again. 

Also I loved how he said he enjoys just doing nothing. 

On 7/24/2019 at 8:06 AM, JimmyHoffa said:

Agreed. Eddie and him talking about the early years was great. The most eye opening was how Eddie talked about Pryor basically being an asshole to him and giving him bad advice because "he was the other black comic" was really interesting. 

I think it was Cosby that was giving him the lame advice.   I got from it that Pryor seldom talked to him at that stage. 

• Like 1

villasenor episode was really awkward how she kept calling him by his last name, could tell they really hadn't ever spent any time together before that day (maybe they said otherwise, i turned the shit off after 5 minutes of her awkward laughing and adding nothing)

10 hours ago, Nivek said:

From the episode, Eddie is pretty self-conscious. He seems like he needs to feel he is prepped and practiced before he does that, and that explains his SNL appearance.

It’s so hard for a guy like him to get back in the game in this day and age.  You have to practice the material in front of audiences, some of the rough draft may suck and dumbasses with phones are going to post it.  He won’t be allowed to struggle getting his legs back under him without heavy criticism because people suck. 

That said, if he puts something out, it will be awesome. 

It's interesting how guarded Eddie was. You could see moments where he let his guard down and it was great. I did find it amusing that he said early on that he only likes to look forward and then the whole show, obviously, was looking back on his stand up career. I'm curious at what point he turned into such a guarded person? I really hope he gets back on the horse but I think he's like Steve Martin. They had their fill and moved on to be happier. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

It's interesting how guarded Eddie was. You could see moments where he let his guard down and it was great. I did find it amusing that he said early on that he only likes to look forward and then the whole show, obviously, was looking back on his stand up career. I'm curious at what point he turned into such a guarded person? I really hope he gets back on the horse but I think he's like Steve Martin. They had their fill and moved on to be happier. 

I think (based on his hinting) that it had a lot to do with his string of movies that critics hated. It's shocking for a guy that is as funny and successful as he to have that view but I thought that was pretty clear. Jerry almost seemed like a shrink a few times during the episode telling him he would be great and not give a shit about what other people say. 

I thought it was interesting that Seinfeld says to Eddie Murphy that there’s nothing that’s not funny to a comedian. All that stuff about you gotta watch what you say is for the audiences. They also discuss the same topic with Gervais. The encroachment of political correctness into humor must drive comedians crazy.

Yeah it took him a bit to get warmed up. He said himself he would need to do some practice gigs before he went big stage again. 
Also I loved how he said he enjoys just doing nothing. 

I can respect that. If I had Eddie Murphy money no one would ever see me again except bartenders in Isla Mujeres. Maybe my family.

I always laugh at Seinfeld saying that when a guy like Jeselnik is out there not giving a fuck who he offends. 

But is Jeselnik wading into the political PC waters? I’m not a fan of his because his delivery is so slow that you figure out the punchline before he says it, but the little bit I saw of his last special was basically really off color dick jokes. “I remember the first time I saw my dad’s dick. I was like ‘dad stop texting me this stuff.’”
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I think it definitely bothers a lot of them, but Seinfeld has been one of the more vocal about it. 

I think this says a lot. Seinfeld doesn't really have a lot, if anything, in his act that offends, and the fact it bothers him is telling. You can tell he appreciates the craft and realizes the PC crap is a danger to it. 

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

But is Jeselnik wading into the political PC waters? I’m not a fan of his because his delivery is so slow that you figure out the punchline before he says it, but the little bit I saw of his last special was basically really off color dick jokes. “I remember the first time I saw my dad’s dick. I was like ‘dad stop texting me this stuff.’”

Rape, abortion, racism, pedos, alzheimer's, he touches on all of it.

I think this says a lot. Seinfeld doesn't really have a lot, if anything, in his act that offends, and the fact it bothers him is telling. You can tell he appreciates the craft and realizes the PC crap is a danger to it. 

His show, the most popular in television history, would be off the air in the first season in today’s world. As would many others.

You are right though, in his professional bits he’s much more polished but in formats like these he talks like many people think...the ‘Chinese people all being the same’ stereotype being a primary example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, McCroskey said:

His show, the most popular in television history, would be off the air in the first season in today’s world. As would many others.

This again?  Based on what?  There's nothing offensive about it.

The show is syndicated and replayed 20 times a day.  Nobody cares.  

• Like 3

On 7/25/2019 at 10:50 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

It’s so hard for a guy like him to get back in the game in this day and age.  You have to practice the material in front of audiences, some of the rough draft may suck and dumbasses with phones are going to post it.  He won’t be allowed to struggle getting his legs back under him without heavy criticism because people suck. 

That said, if he puts something out, it will be awesome. 

I think it can be done.  He is quick.  Just show up for a few open mic nights and try it out without warning.  They could even make a documentary about it and show him bombing and getting back in the swing.  

I think it can be done.  He is quick.  Just show up for a few open mic nights and try it out without warning.  They could even make a documentary about it and show him bombing and getting back in the swing.  

That sounds like something Eddie would hate.

The problem with Eddie Murphy is that his brand of standup comedy was very physical, high energy slapstick, kind of like Robin Williams or Steve Martin, but more so, lots of facial contortions, etc. But now he can’t do that anymore. I mean, he could, but it wouldn’t do so well. He would have to reinvent himself, somewhat. Or maybe I’m totally wrong.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:19 PM, Mdhorn said:

Jamie Foxx was damn funny.  Wasn't expecting it but I thought that was one of the best episodes of the season.

I knew he was talented but damn he is fucking hilarious.  talking about his pit bulls had me rolling. 

You could still air Seinfeld today, you just couldn't air several of the episodes.  Shit, they had to pull the final regular season episode from the rotation just a couple of years after it came out.  You probably couldn't air one of my favorite episodes, the Merv Griffin Show, because it brazenly dismisses drugging someone for "date rape", even though it was vintage toys and not sex.   

I'll bet dollars to donuts that you can't show the homeless rickshaw episode in Austin because it's demeaning to the homeless populations and it would make our City Council haz the sad...

Edited by Lobo

Jerry will reach a tipping point...but knowing Jerry...he'll cut it off (and wisely so).  But yeah, there's some funny opportunities out there where Jerry takes out certain comedians in shitty cars or public transportation.  And instead of these high-brow fair-trade coffee joints in the Village or Upper East Side, they go to "smoothie bars" in the Tenderloin.  

I'd honestly watch a few episodes where he takes a comedian around in the same make/model/year (doesn't obviously have to be the same exact car obviously) that the comedian came up in the industry in.  And then also takes them around the same joints in New York or Los Angeles that they actually used to frequent.  Particularly the kind of places that were open at 4 or 5am after that comedian finishes their sets and benders.  To me, that's more interesting than seeing the broadway theaters that some of his friends performed in as recently as last year.  

Edited by Lobo

6 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I assume he was talking about the ratings not that it was offensive. 

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but the full quote and the post it was replying to was discussing comics being PC and offending people. 

There's a made up victim complex that the shows of yesterday wouldn't make it on the air in today's PC environment.  Sorry, but yesterday's shows would be relegated to network TV because they aren't dirty enough for any other channels.  A decade ago 30 Rock was dropping lemon party references on NBC, but we're supposed to act like Seinfeld's PG show wouldn't make it past the FCC?  Come on...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but the full quote and the post it was replying to was discussing comics being PC and offending people. 

There's a made up victim complex that the shows of yesterday wouldn't make it on the air in today's PC environment.  Sorry, but yesterday's shows would be relegated to network TV because they aren't dirty enough for any other channels.  A decade ago 30 Rock was dropping lemon party references on NBC, but we're supposed to act like Seinfeld's PG show wouldn't make it past the FCC?  Come on...

30 rock lemon party GIF

• Haha 1